It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dig In For Apocalypse In A Practically Invisible 'Bunker Moderne' Home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

This partially buried home in Southern California combines the luxury of a multimillion-dollar estate with the practicality of a concrete bunker.

Made of steel-reinforced concrete, it's carved into the Santa Monica Mountains' Saddle Peak and practically indestructible. (Really: Its astounding resilience is documented. The house survived the 1993 Old Topanga firestorm that burned homes on Saddle Peak "faster than kids eat candy," in the Los Angeles' Times phrase. Environmentalist Mary Ellen Strote had commissioned the earth-sheltered house a few years earlier, and she told the Times after the firestorm: "There is no worse case than this. I did not have one bit of damage inside the house."

Dig In For Apocalypse In A Practically Invisible 'Bunker Moderne' Home

I want, I want, I want.

Guess I'd better start a fundraiser to get $4.5 million.

I wonder if any surplus Government bunkers might make a worthy conversion?

This is definitely now on my wish list and I'll be looking further into the possibility.

Yes, for those who didn't know, I'm still alive and on ATS.

I've been busy on various projects I've got and too busy for "conspiracy theorizing".

Especially since things have changed majorly for me over the last few years.

I am no longer "just a conspiracy theorist" and I'm digger even deeper into Government.

Let me just put it this way, underground facilities, Government or otherwise tops my list.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Why we still build houses out of sticks and chalk and cardboard is beyond me.

Every year, world wide, tens of thousands of homes are destroyed by fire, flood and tornadoes. None had to be destroyed. It is simply continuing greed that forces people to build with flimsy silly materials.

The only thing most walls are good for is to keep the roof up.

And that secret room, is not very secret any more! What a waste of a good secret room!

P

edit on 15/10/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I agree wholeheartedly.

Underground is the way to go.

It's eco-friendly, it's less "eyesore" for the neighborhood, and it saves on money.

"Honey, I'm going to mow the roof"

No more shingles flying off in a storm.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SpartanKingLeonidas

And that rooftop can be one hell of a veggie garden or tennis court.

P

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I just had to reply after reading this . Living in Australia and being bombarded with an endless stream of shows like American pickers , tattoo nightmares and the list is endless ,one show stands out for you . Doomsday peppers . In one episode they have a couple who converted a decommissioned missile silo . If an incoming Russian nuke couldn't take it down i am sure wildfires wont . Also be damn hard to to break into one would think . Hmm one would hope . Happy hunting

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
WANT!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Hmmmm...

I will pass. There are former government nuclear bunkers going up on the market from time to time which come in much cheaper than this, and are in fact much more resilient. Compromise is not something you want to get involved with, when selecting a hard site for your protection, and to store your vital gear.

Its a nice place, but there is too much glass, and too many potential points of entry, to make this location desirable from a defence, concealment point of view.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The main issue I would have with having a house like this is that your exits are limited--think about smoking out a rabbit. It's way to easy to be caught by surprise in a home like this. This is the main reason that I see all of these one- or two-entry doomsday bunkers as being one of the worst plans out there for a SHTF scenario.

But, that aside, it is pretty damn cool.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

nice to see the kind of places the elite will live when the world goes tits up and the rest of us get wiped out

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Self reinforced concrete with flimsy glass windows, i don't see the point.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Secure?
I see Lots of windows and even a nice big, inviting hole to drop explosives, gas, or smoke in to.
Unless it comes with chain gun emplacements, missiles and a SEAL team, it's just a toy to fool rich folks in to thinking they're safe.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Looks like a real nice place to live, i would take it over the council home i have in sunny Glasgow any day of the week.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It's a pretty place I agree. But as soon as I saw how they allow vines to grow on the side of the house, I know it's destined to collapse. While very pretty looking, those vines do work their way into cracks with their roots, thereby expanding them and causing structural damage.

Of course if it was my place and it lasted my lifetime, I guess I wouldn't care what happened to it after I was gone.

edit on 15-10-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Secure?
I see Lots of windows and even a nice big, inviting hole to drop explosives, gas, or smoke in to.
Unless it comes with chain gun emplacements, missiles and a SEAL team, it's just a toy to fool rich folks in to thinking they're safe.

Why would you need a Seal Team? They'd be crapping all over the place, demanding fish all the time, etc.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Hmmmm...

I will pass. There are former government nuclear bunkers going up on the market from time to time which come in much cheaper than this, and are in fact much more resilient. Compromise is not something you want to get involved with, when selecting a hard site for your protection, and to store your vital gear.

Its a nice place, but there is too much glass, and too many potential points of entry, to make this location desirable from a defence, concealment point of view.

Yes, of course, it needs to be made more solid and defensible.

And I agree, a surplus bunker would probably be cheaper, of course.

Then again to go totally "off the grid" in that aspect you'd have to build your own.

Bunker 101 : Building Your Bunker, Forget the Bug Out Bag, Make A Fortress

Bear in mind, I'm not going to go into extensive "how-to", I'm just not giving anyone that kind of details.

That above thread was made "for entertainment purposes only".

I do not want my front door kicked in, in the middle of the night, and disappearing.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Lovely home - but not even vaguely "invisible"!!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Of course exits are limited.

This does not however limit you on changing that.

I'd definitely maximize exit potential as well modify it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I've missed you seeing you around here SKL. Good to see one of ATS' finest and brightest lighting up again.

Did you notice the wine-cooler room? Looks like the makings of a fall-out shelter. panic room or access/exit tunnel location...

edit on 16-10-2014 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silicis n Volvo

nice to see the kind of places the elite will live when the world goes tits up and the rest of us get wiped out

So that's where you'll be hiding, huh?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Secure?

All of that can of course be added after purchasing.

A real bunker is not going to look anything like this at all.

It will be Spartan and hidden completely.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join