It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu Pandemic in 2009 was WAY worse than Ebola now....Proof right here!! The numbers don't lie

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman

originally posted by: AphoticJoe
a reply to: thesmokingman

I can sympathize with where you're coming from in providing both the numbers and comparison. That said, and while mass panic could be more dangerous than most any health threat, I see no reason in attempting to downplay the very valid threat posed by Ebola. One case alone is one too many--if that case is us or an individual we care about. Reason and common sense I feel is--for now at least--defense enough both against Ebola and any mass disinformation in circulation. Needless to say really I suppose, but my hackles are up over this situation. Then again, they're always up so no harm done (yet) to me and those who inhabit my backyard here on the East Coast. However, we're all watching this thing closely. Overall, I see no benefit in attempts to dilute the danger of Ebola in the United States. Mass panic: no good; hands over eyes (regardless of whose hands--the government's, media's, etc.): even worse.

I am by no means trying to say it is a nothing virus. I am saying that it is being WAY to overblown, even being used in political ads now!! I guarantee you that IF this was a valid threat that is as bad as they say, I promise you there would be no further flights in or out of Africa until it was contained. Im not saying to put your head in the sand, but it is NOT even close to what they are leading everyone to believe. It is all playing out just like a movie plot....

I wholly agree with you and appreciate your efforts to help balance out the clear campaign of fear waged by both the government and the media. However, these days (or ever, really) one just never knows which way the wind is really blowing often until it blows across one's face. It is in that spirit alone I daily seek alternative sources of information on most currently evolving world events. ATS is a primary source for said information and again thanks to members such as yourself, I am able to form a more balanced picture of what's going down or about to go down.

Allow me to make another mention of the potential threat of mass panic--inspired by real or artificially concocted threats. Such terrifies me personally much more than just about any catastrophe the fear mongers can script up. In the most extreme case, I can see waves of rioting, looting, whatever radiating out from major metropolitan areas and that perhaps is a part of what reasonable individual's such as yourself hope to prevent.

The sole point of my previous post was that we simply need to expect the worst without giving in to irrational fear, all the while sleeping with one eye taped open. Unfortunately, we really ought to already be doing that anyway in today's world.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't quite get the point of this thread ?
Is it to just calm the public and erase any fears or at least lessen them?
If so the problem with that is everyone here on ATS has a knowledge that other people don't posses and that is
never never trust government stats when there is a potential for disaster.

I check the news sites daily and quite frequently and the most common theme right now is one of two.
The first one is that this is a serious serious problem and we are not being told the whole story.
The second one is many news sites are now listing the top viruses/diseases that are worse than
Ebola.
Now right or wrong why are we constantly being swamped with data about other diseases when the topic of the day
Is Ebola and nothing else.

I could not give a crap about the flu or any other ailment at this time and I would appreciate it
if certain news sites would stop trying to mis-direct our attention to other matters that have nothing
to do with the present situation/ possibly crisis with the Ebola virus.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Oh, my, I just post an article from the CDC on how the scaremongering of H1N1 and ebola is starting to sound about the same.

And to think that what kept us from been forced into mass vaccinations when the pandemic when from phase 3 to 5 within months since the vaccine became available was an injunction and a federal law sue

People just tend to have short memories.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
I don't quite get the point of this thread ?
Is it to just calm the public and erase any fears or at least lessen them?
If so the problem with that is everyone here on ATS has a knowledge that other people don't posses and that is
never never trust government stats when there is a potential for disaster.

I check the news sites daily and quite frequently and the most common theme right now is one of two.
The first one is that this is a serious serious problem and we are not being told the whole story.
The second one is many news sites are now listing the top viruses/diseases that are worse than
Ebola.
Now right or wrong why are we constantly being swamped with data about other diseases when the topic of the day
Is Ebola and nothing else.

I could not give a crap about the flu or any other ailment at this time and I would appreciate it
if certain news sites would stop trying to mis-direct our attention to other matters that have nothing
to do with the present situation/ possibly crisis with the Ebola virus.

Regards, Iwinder

Let me help you try to understand. Ebola is being WAAYYY overblown by the MSM, which in turn, is making everyone scared to death of the virus. I am simply pointing out that ebola is not even nearly as deadly as the 2009 swine flu pandemic. Yet, the CDC is claiming that the numbers will only skyrocket. Then I asked how could that be when there are so many precautions and medical help going on out there?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You are doing a great job, Thesmokingman, we have too many threads already of nothing of scaremongering and sensationalism, is time to bring some level to the madness, even if most people will not even listen.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Let me help you try to understand. Ebola is being WAAYYY overblown by the MSM,

Thanks for your help via opinion and yours only, I am not being combative but your thread is pretty obvious as to
it's intentions.
We don't live far from Toronto and the Sar's scare was bad and for sure deadly but this is worse (IMHO) only.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Thanks for your help via opinion and yours only, I am not being combative but your thread is pretty obvious as to
it's intentions.
We don't live far from Toronto and the Sar's scare was bad and for sure deadly but this is worse (IMHO) only.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

You are doing a great job, Thesmokingman, we have too many threads already of nothing of scaremongering and sensationalism, is time to bring some level to the madness, even if most people will not even listen.

Thank you kindly! I really appreciate the very kind words. I just want the truth, no matter what. Even sometimes if I don not want to believe it myself. As far as the people that do not want to listen, as long as it is put into their head, then they can make a rational decision on their thoughts about it later.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

it's intentions.
Regards, Iwinder

Well then tell me friend, exactly what ARE my intentions with this thread?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

it's intentions.
Regards, Iwinder

Also, can you tell me exactly HOW this is worse? What are you basing that statement on?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I do believe everyone here does not want to contact Ebola, correct?
So with that said and people dieing from it why the negative post as in its not that bad.
It is changing by the hour now the news feeds are active and the propaganda is going through the roof.

Your thread might actually endanger some people who read it and drop their guard or worse.

The facts are changing hourly and yet you are claiming its all a sham and not to worry.
I wish I had your confidence regarding this situation.

I Hope you sleep well after posting a thread telling people not to prepare for the worst but tomorrow is
a sun shiny day indeed.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Ebola since the start of the outbreak in December 2013: 8,914 total cases-4,447 deaths. That is in 10 months.
2009 swine flu pandemic;(just in America mind you)59,000,000 cases-12,000 deaths in the same amount of time pretty much.

Quick question:

So the Swine Flu was way worse ... which disease would you rather have if you had to get one?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

it's intentions.
Regards, Iwinder

Also, can you tell me exactly HOW this is worse? What are you basing that statement on?

If you take the time to read my posts, you will see in the last sentence its clearly says (IMHO)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Ebola since the start of the outbreak in December 2013: 8,914 total cases-4,447 deaths. That is in 10 months.
2009 swine flu pandemic;(just in America mind you)59,000,000 cases-12,000 deaths in the same amount of time pretty much.

Quick question:

So the Swine Flu was way worse ... which disease would you rather have if you had to get one?

Bingo Star for that insight.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

it's intentions.
Regards, Iwinder

If you take the time to read my posts, you will see in the last sentence its clearly says (IMHO)

Regards, Iwinder

Ok, care to tell me why your opinion is that it is much worse?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Quick question:

Swine flu had a death rate of roughly two, one thousandths, of one percent.

One in 4900 died.

So far with ebola, 4000 of 8000 have died.

Level of severity is a little different.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

You know, American is a nation of millions of people, one death man that contracted ebola from an ebola infected country that was already too sick to even make it with any treatment it was an expected death.

A nurse that came sick after been treating the infected ebola Liberian man and now she has received the antibodies of somebody that survive ebola I expect her to recuperate from the disease.

This is hardly a reason for panic, hysteria and sensationalism, that causes more harm at the end.

That is the truth.

One thing is to be concern about ebola coming into our country by an infected man and another to be worry sick when is still just but isolated cases in one state and one city.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Quick question:

Which would you rather have? AIDS or Cancer? Kind of a stupid question is it not?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You said what was on my mind also.The mortality rate of ebola is so much higher.I'd wager out of 50 million cases,30-35 million would propably be a more realistic mortality rate.My daughter had a horrible swine flu earlier this year,she was starting to worry that she may die,and I was also very worried-but she recovered fairly quickly and of the 4 of us in the household,no one else got it.My son was sick with bronchitis at the same time but that's hardly serious.If she'd had ebola,we most likely all would've gotten it-and maybe just one of us would have survived,if that.a reply to: gman1972

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Are you going to tell me what my intentions are with this thread? I have been waiting. So far, just seems like your here to troll.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join