It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amanda Bynes Marijuana and Schizophrenia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OPIVY
Maybe people with schizophrenia are just more likely to self medicate than people without the mental disorder?

Amazing what a little critical thinking can do!

Well said, OPI!

(post by corvuscorrax removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

ATTENTION PLEASE

NO discussion of personal use is allowed

NONE

Thanks

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I think schizophrenics just use pot more. Thats all I see from what you presented. Just like I see that alcoholics and drug users tend to use pot as well, instead of it being a gateway drug.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Adverse effects of chronic use
Psychosocial outcomes

- Regular cannabis users can develop a dependence syndrome, the risks of which are around 1 in 10 of all cannabis users and 1 in 6 among those who start in adolescence.
- Regular cannabis users double their risks of experiencing psychotic symptoms and disorders, especially if they have a personal or family history of psychotic disorders, and if they initiate cannabis use in their mid-teens.
- Regular adolescent cannabis users have lower educational attainment than non-using peers.
- Regular adolescent cannabis users are more likely to use other illicit drugs.
- Regular cannabis use that begins in adolescence and continues throughout young adulthood appears to produce cognitive impairment but the mechanism and reversibility of the impairment is unclear.
- Regular cannabis use in adolescence approximately doubles the risk of being diagnosed with schizophrenia or reporting psychotic symptoms in adulthood.
- All these relationships have persisted after controlling for plausible confounders in well-designed studies, but some researchers still question whether adverse effects are related causally to regular cannabis use or explained by shared risk factors

What 20 Years Of Research Has Taught Us About The Chronic Effects Of Marijuana

other studies have come out that shows people who "get" schizophrenia from smoking cannabis, had the schizophrenia gene to begin with. How do you know for sure than that cannabis triggered the gene to activate? How do you do a controlled study on that?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Not really true.

There are lots of people who smoke cannabis for other medical reasons and those who smoke it recreationally. Some schizophrenics do better with cannabis, some don't.

See my other post about the study that shows people who "become" schizophrenic after cannabis use, had the schizophrenia gene to begin with

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Well, that would explain my mom and all her buddies. There is a reason I would never go near the stuff even though it was offered to me as a teen on a daily basis. Drug induced paranoia is very scary from a child's perspective when one sees those behaviors in a a parent. (I use the term parent quite loosely)

The first time I even heard of pot I was 13 and in a car with three other teens, they all started smoking and offered it to me. I had zero desire to use anything that goes into my lungs or changes my mentality. I said no thank you and thought that would be ok as I did not mind that they were using it. I am very able to laugh, joke and have a great time without drugs.

That was the last invitation I had to go anywhere with that crowd. It really hurt me as I was never prejudice against them but I was not wanted because I would not use, one of them was supposed to be my best friend.

My brother was also schizophrenic and used Pot, started all his drugs off with vietnam and coming home using pot only for years.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Nope.

psychcentral.com...

New research from Harvard Medical School, in a comparison between families with a history of schizophrenia and those without, finds little support for marijuana use as a cause of schizophrenia.

Weed doesnt cause schizophrenia. I like, though, that you admit your post is heavily biased.

People think...
If something affects the way your brain functions, you need to be really sure. You could change who you are as a person.

www.amenclinics.com...

Although marijuana doesn’t necessarily pose the same immediate, life-threatening dangers as alcohol, we have seen that chronic, long-term use does cause significant brain changes—chiefly, slowed activity in the frontal and temporal lobes; areas of the brain involved with focus, concentration, motivation, memory, learning, and mood stability.

People should look at the list of warnings here at least to be sure you don't have reason to aviod.

Avoid long-term use in people who have or are at risk of lung problems, such as asthma or byssinosis (a disease caused by breathing dust). Marijuana may cause bronchitis, coughing, lung cysts, phlegm, reduced lung density, and wheezing.

www.mayoclinic.org...
edit on 11-10-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It say in the article that people who have a family history of mental illness are likely to develop schizophrenia.

Yes and who has no Family history with some mental illness?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

She's a has been that can't accept it and she refuses to move on, typical entitlement minded brat.

As the 600x more likely to cause schizophrenia that's just a bunch of B.S that the government uses to scare people.

Blame bad wiring not some plant.

I think at this point they want you to use it, I know Oregon is already discussing the tax they could be hauling in.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: hoochymama23
LOL..Classic.

No Wonder ATS hates Weed Threads.

I have been on this site since it started (had another user name...im sure some of you can guess) and the 911 Fiasco has slowly turned into the Weed Fiasco.

Its a PLANT...that Many have used for Thousands of Years before to treat EVERYTHING and some OP wants to say it causes a Mental problem?? LOL.

There are many plants that do many many things, the use of the term "just a plant" makes no sense at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

But much of this research can’t distinguish between brain changes resulting from marijuana use and symptoms associated with the disease. It’s possible that cannabis-smoking schizophrenics “might have unpleasant symptoms [that precede full-blown schizophrenia] and are self-medicating” with the psychotropic drug, said Roland Lamarine, a professor of community health at California State University, Chico. “We haven’t seen an increase in schizophrenics, even with a lot more marijuana use.”

In fact, other research suggests that cannabis-using schizophrenics score better on cognitive tests than non-using schizophrenics. Such conflicting reports may be due to the varying concentrations—and varying effects—of cannabinoids in marijuana. In addition to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a neurotoxic cannabinoid that is responsible for marijuana’s mind-altering properties, the drug also contains a variety of non-psychoactive cannabinoids, including cannabidiol (CBD), which can protect against neuron damage. Hermann found that the volume of the hippocampus—a brain area important for memory processing—is slightly smaller in cannabis users than in non-users, but more CBD-rich marijuana countered this effect.

www.the-scientist.com.../articleNo/34110/title/Is-Cannabis-Really-That-Bad-/

How am I deluded, again? “We haven’t seen an increase in schizophrenics, even with a lot more marijuana use.” , so says the guy who is supposed to know what he's talking about. I'll take my "delusions" with a tiny bit of fact if you don't mind.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I haven't read the studies that are supposed to support the OP's assertion but causation does not equate to association. Marijuana just like '___' use or alcohol abuse can lead to schizophrenic like symptoms. If I smoke it I don't want to go into stores but does this mean I'm schizophrenic. Hardly. I just don't smoke it.

I'm betting they are attributing any association with a predisposition, and the fact that those with these disorders are more likely to self medicate (self medicating with illicit drugs has been proven when a mental health disorder exists). Also, those with schizophrenia are more likely to have comorbid depression. Why can't it just say those with schizophrenia are also more likely to have comorbid alcohol/drug abuse disorder.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

I've heard from many that certain anti-depresants can trigger voices .

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

I've heard from many that certain anti-depresants can trigger voices .

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm fine with believing in mind control - I know it can happen.

But if I had any authority the last person i'd choose to control would be Amanda Bynes.

She's contributed nothing of any value. I feel sorry for the girl but, if she feels acting the way she did was the only way to 'make a dolla' and get noticed then... GO AMANDA!

I truly wish her a full recovery with whatever is going on with her.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: sanitizedinfo

Any pharmaceutical that affects neurotransmitters can do harm or good. It's definitely scary to know how close these can come to sending one into a manic or schizoid episode.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

or how about you forget what the mayo clinic has to say, as they are biased and go with this new study
What 20 Years Of Research Has Taught Us About The Chronic Effects Of Marijuana

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join