It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Unveils Next Windows OS and it's Called .....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

a reply to: gortex

I say we go back to DOS. Life was much simpler.

There's a whole generation of people out there who would see this (below)

and say "OK -- now what?":

Surely the first thing to do would be:

"sudo apt-get install facebook-spyware"
edit on 1-10-2014 by TwistedPsycho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I moved over from Microsoft to Apple iOS and i have to say its 100% better, faster and looks more professional.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TwistedPsycho

Illegal command: sudo

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I ran windows XP professional since it came out, then onto Vista, which I got mostly right, now I'm running windows 8.1, I find it quite easy to use, yet other people are moaning about it, I just take my time (I've had it a week now) and no crashes yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't see the issues with 8 other than a couple of things are different but not that much. I read somewhere a while back 10 will be able to replace XP and in the middle of October it would be free for XP updating for a short time. The world really runs on XP everything from banking to traffic control so XP is alive and well world wide.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Windows 10 is going to be free for 8.1 users and a 20 dollar upgrade for 7 and xp.
This is their strategy to help unify their segmented OS. Their basically giving it away.

BTW I have a surface pro 3 and I really like it over the original ipad i had - which Apple discontinued to support. LOL
I still have windows 7 on my desktop, I probably won't upgrade that, but the tablet I will.

I have owned a few Apple products over the years, they don't do well with their walled garden approach. And then Like the original iPad they just cancel support. I will take usability/speed of windows over trendy(out dated) goofy apple software..

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
a reply to: Answer

Apple yes but Google? All google offers is silly consumer apps...Hardly an OS, more like a super Facebook extension!

You have got to be kidding!!

Apple OS is about the most restrictive OS EVER.

Android great for mobile devices as it's a true OS .

Windows is the best choice OS environment that gives the freedom to actually do what you want it to do and not what THEY say you can or can't do.

Windows 8 was a mess because it basically forced desktop users to us a UI that was designed for touch screen devices.

Windows 10 looks to be a correction of that mistake.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Lets hope they fully correct it by letting Win 8 users without a touch screen device upgrade to Win 10 free of charge.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

For about $25 you can fix it right now by going to Stardock and getting start8 and ModernMix. I can't recall the last time I had to go to the metro screen. It's just like W7, but better.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Lets hope they fully correct it by letting Win 8 users without a touch screen device upgrade to Win 10 free of charge.

I couldn't agree more!

Though given the way the channel is run at the moment and seeing as 90% of the machines are running windows 8 OEM, I doubt many would be able to take advantage of it.

My view is they should release Windows 10 as a totally FOC release for all.

Korg.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: Firefly_

For about $25 you can fix it right now by going to Stardock and getting start8 and ModernMix. I can't recall the last time I had to go to the metro screen. It's just like W7, but better.

Exactly why Windows is such an ace OS.... No Jail Breaking or hacking or voiding warranties involved. You want it to do something and you can get it to do it.

Unlike Apple OS, which looks to keep you in a straitjacket of their aesthetic design.

Korg.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity
Exactly why Windows is such an ace OS.... No Jail Breaking or hacking or voiding warranties involved

I started to order Kilby, my new laptop, with Windows 7. In fact, you had to OPT to get Windows 8.

But we are going to switch to 8 this year, and if I am home it'll be me having to validate it, so I thought, WTF, I'll bite the bullet and get 8.

Holy God is it bad. Really. If you were a granny or something, it might be just great. But if you actually USE the thing to the point you need to know what the hardware is doing, it's like taking the steering wheel off and chucking it out the window going 60 on the highway.

Quickly found start8 and modernmix, and now, the guys that try to force me into Metro (kindle) I can box into a desktop window. Other than that, start8 totally insulates you from all the "see if you can find where we hid it this time" crap 8 tries to inflict on you. If I want to go to a control screen in the OS, I can do it without searching and hoping it will allow me to do that without digging through .exe files in the OS folders.

I've actually grown almost fond of w8.1, but only with the intercession of start8.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
My main problem with Windows 7: there is some kind of file system issue that can be problematic.

I use rather large, heavy spreadsheets to do my day to day work. On days (like today may end up being) where I have a lot of computational tasks to do, by the afternoon I have to restart the computer. The problem comes in me not being able to save. Excel does not interact properly with the OS, so I can't open new files, and macros start acting spotty.

Often if a file is large (whether its a workbook or not), when I save it, it shows up twice in its folder. Usually it goes away when I close the file.

Now, this isn't hugely problematic. At least, not since I learned when to not push it on saving files. The first few times I lost quite a bit of work. It isn't just my work laptop that does it. Others on the team have similar issues (one guy in Austin, even, using a different brand of technology). What it tells me, though, is that what we are being expected to use as the standard of business OS's is glitchy....and that is somehow acceptable.

XP didn't give me any issues that affected my day to day experience.

Win8....every software vendor we have tells us that they will not be supporting it. How's that for confidence in the platform?

I think Windows really needs to get it right. Apple will soon be on the ropes, and Andriod just isn't a business platform (no IT person would tolerate the security flaws). It could be that a company comes forward boasting a Linux system that handles business needs i the way that XP used to. I've seen large networks built by companies like Sun Microsystems. The capability to fill this rather large niche is out there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My main problem with Windows 7: there is some kind of file system issue that can be problematic.

I use rather large, heavy spreadsheets to do my day to day work. On days (like today may end up being) where I have a lot of computational tasks to do, by the afternoon I have to restart the computer. The problem comes in me not being able to save. Excel does not interact properly with the OS, so I can't open new files, and macros start acting spotty.

Often if a file is large (whether its a workbook or not), when I save it, it shows up twice in its folder. Usually it goes away when I close the file.

Now, this isn't hugely problematic. At least, not since I learned when to not push it on saving files. The first few times I lost quite a bit of work. It isn't just my work laptop that does it. Others on the team have similar issues (one guy in Austin, even, using a different brand of technology). What it tells me, though, is that what we are being expected to use as the standard of business OS's is glitchy....and that is somehow acceptable.

XP didn't give me any issues that affected my day to day experience.

Win8....every software vendor we have tells us that they will not be supporting it. How's that for confidence in the platform?

I think Windows really needs to get it right. Apple will soon be on the ropes, and Andriod just isn't a business platform (no IT person would tolerate the security flaws). It could be that a company comes forward boasting a Linux system that handles business needs i the way that XP used to. I've seen large networks built by companies like Sun Microsystems. The capability to fill this rather large niche is out there somewhere.

This sounds like a problem with your installation. I would uninstall all the office updates and see if that solves your problem.

But actually Window 7 did introduce something that really made me mad.... the Security settings on the System folder! I can't count how many times I've had to manually install a .dll file because the software installer can't access the folder during install. This is true whether you run the installer as administrator or not I might add

Korg.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They should have kept with windows 7.

Great to deploy, easy to use, familiar interface etc list goes on.

8 was a travesty, it was a windows vista from XP all over again with slightly less crashing thanks to its primarily win7 base.

Most companys have avoided win8 and stayed with stable and easy to use 7 for a reason. The extra money is an absolute joke for something most people cant and dont want to use.

If you want flashy, glossy, basic control - use an apple - if you want to use the damned thing and have control use 7 or linux.

10 is going to be another flop as 8 was, 7 is king, its light and fast and people can actually use it.

corps arnt going to roll over and pay XXXXX whatever plus training for somthing they all hate over a OS thats perfectly fine.

complete lunacy, again.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

That and gaming. Don't forget that there are few options for PC gamers, aside from windows.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

If you want flashy, glossy, basic control - use an apple - if you want to use the damned thing and have control use 7 or linux.

10 is going to be another flop as 8 was, 7 is king, its light and fast and people can actually use it.

corps arnt going to roll over and pay XXXXX whatever plus training for somthing they all hate over a OS thats perfectly fine.

complete lunacy, again.

From what I've seen about 10, it looks as if they tried to make the default OS more like windows 7, while giving the user the option to use it more like 8 (for touch devices, for example) if they wanted to.

If they can pull that off, then it would be a good OS. I'll withhold my judgement until I use it.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Biigs

complete lunacy, again.

From what I've seen about 10, it looks as if they tried to make the default OS more like windows 7, while giving the user the option to use it more like 8 (for touch devices, for example) if they wanted to.

If they can pull that off, then it would be a good OS. I'll withhold my judgement until I use it.

Actually it is a duel install. If you have a touch device it installs metro style. If you install it on a desktop or non touch laptop it installs mini metro start.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have a custom built gaming PC I built myself running WinXP 32-bit SP3 for some older stuff I still use and Win7 64-bit SP1. I think Win7 is probably the best OS. Win8 Win10 I'll get it if I need it but I doubt that will be anytime soon. Apple is Apple. I prefer PC.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
From a network support perspective win7 is the best business and home OS we have so far, apple works just fine but its expensive as hell.

edit on b03031035 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join