It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Unveils Next Windows OS and it's Called .....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

XP out of the box was a mess and these days popping a non SP'd XP box on the net would be like asking for unprotected sex with a hooker at the dockside as you'd soon end up with something. The main reason it survived so well is its base audience was p2/p3 systems with very little ram so once you gave it a dual core and a couple of GB of ram it was in paradise.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

The average person doesn't need a computer as in desktop tower, they need communications devices with 18 mp cameras, fast wifi. Google installed in phones and tablets will be just fine for the masses. Laptops will become extinct, desktops will become more expensive due to them no longer being mass produced and only media producers and the NSA will have a need for them. Of course I'm just guessin!
You're semi-right. Most average people have more than enough computing power for no more than they do in their pockets. However, laptops and desktops are here to stay for much longer. When you need a fast, powerful, and upgradeable system for any reason , a desktop will always be the only real option. When you need a smaller, efficient, portable platform with lots of local storage (none of that cloud crap) and a real keyboard, then a laptop will always be king. Not saying eventually laptops won't become obsolete though. Tablets with keyboard attachments could replace them sooner or later.
edit on 30-9-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Many people I know are turfing their desktops for tablets and ipads. On the fly I use my Surface, laptop seldom comes out of its bag.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It looks like a glorified Windows Phone.

I've had it with MS anything. I'm heading over to the Ubuntu thread to look into abandoning MS and Apple platforms altogether--something I should have done a long time ago.

If I have to have a computer, can I at least have one that simply does what I tell it to and doesn't try to think for me? It's much easier for me to deal with Linux programming quirks than it is to be treated like a f# idiot by a machine. And pay through the nose for it, at that.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
this guy was a prophet

Microsoft skips 'too good' Windows 9, jumps to Windows 10

April fools of 2013 becomes a reality
i'm scared now how knows what crazy prophesy will be true

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I made a commitment of never using Microsoft again and buy apple.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: gortex

I say we go back to DOS. Life was much simpler.

There's a whole generation of people out there who would see this (below)
and say "OK -- now what?":

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Windows 10 you say , i am still on XP , i will wait until someone gives me their old windows 7 or 8 machine for nothing as per usual , i am really really tight with my money and Bill Gates never made millions of me - FREE-DOM

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't know why there is so much hate for MS. Their XP and 7 versions are two of the best OS's ever made, especially for gaming.

I've ran Lunix Mint 15 on my backup system and even if you know how to tweek Lunix, it's just too unstable. Steam games are very limited and if you run specialized gaming hardware, it has a hard time utilizing the system to it's full potential.

Honestly, the best thing MS could do is stick to the basics and continue to put out a solid OS, but allow open-source tinkering for customization.
edit on 9/30/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/30/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I heard they bought Minecraft so that they could learn how to make Windows 10 really "blocky" with 16 bit graphics and take advantage of the "Creeper" code so that whenever your using your mouse random spots of the program your using just explode across the screen leaving gaping holes in your work....

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

I say we go back to DOS. Life was much simpler.

There's a whole generation of people out there who would see this (below)
and say "OK -- now what?":

c:\> format

Just have them enter that command......nothing bad will happen.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
MEH.

I will stick with Mac OS and Windows 7 until Linux catches up.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Apple and Google left MS behind years ago. The corporate world is the only thing (albeit a huge thing) keeping MS operating systems relevant.

Chrome OS is awful...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Why is that? Every windows OS comes with a command prompt that works just like DOS did. All it takes is a bit of knowledge in unix to learn it. The first OS I became familiar with was win 95 (first one I used was 3.1) and I still know a bunch of different command prompt commands.
edit on 30-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I have been using linux for a long long time from its early days and ubuntu is great , but I don't think its ready for primetime for most users desktop experience over MS.

Personally I hate Apple because they are more of a dictator OS then M$ , and I relate to them as the Comcast of OS. However, MS is working hard especially with windows 8 to diminish that line.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x

The most stable OS Microsoft had was XP. They need to go back to that style and structure instead of trying to do the Apple thing and be all cool. Microsoft needs to realize that their most important users are businesses or other professional fields and gamers.

This retroactive move to add a start menu to Windows 10 indicates they're in some ways adoptiong "Windows XP'. Adopting ALL of the traits of Windows XP would be bad, however. Some chang is necessary to evovle the platform and have a successful business venture. Imagine if we always stayed with caves because making huts was deemed too showy?

However, I'll admit I don't like every change. For example, I really really hate the move away from text menues at the top of the application to toolbars and icons. This is what I witnessed in Win 8, but maybe it happened in Win 7? God it makes a visual mess of the screen! I also don't like hte tendency of modern interfaces to blur the visual differences between buttons and labels, as well blurring virtually everyting else. The most important thing I hate is the overuse of icons. Icons are immediate if you're familiar, but they're take more time to learn if you're a new user.

Take the Apps in Metro, for example. The first time I started one was I think by accident. At first I didn't evne know how to close it. And you know what? I've seen this time and again with other users. If you're not already familiar with the gestures, it's not fun.
edit on 30-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I think gaming still keeps windows around although that is a gap that is closing because some people prefer to game on consoles and the other OS are catching up. Even on a chrome book I was able to play quite a few browser games and things like that. They aren't far behind. I know my next computer will not have windows after being a windows user for over 20 years.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

There isn't an OS that comes close to windows when it comes to gaming. (Keep in mind, we're not talking about browser games)

Mac's are excellent machines and OS's, but the average gamer cannot afford their systems. Linux is pretty good, but it's unstable, doesn't support all of the higher-end gaming hardware and the choice of games is very limited.

If you are in to steam games, which seems to be the best way to buy/play games, Windows is the only real choice.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: minkmouse
a reply to: Answer

Apple yes but Google? All google offers is silly consumer apps...Hardly an OS, more like a super Facebook extension!

Google Android is more than just "silly consumer apps".

Sure -- Android isn't an OS for personal computers, but the world is going towards tablets, anyway, and there are plenty of tablets running Android. Although I think there will still be a place for personal computers for the foreseeable future.

There's a big difference between PCs and laptops, and these tablets. The biggest one is obviously that PCs allows you to create while tablets are almost only allows you to consume. People are beginning to understand that tablets are and will not be useful as a PC with a proper keyboard and a real pin-pointer.

PCs ain't going nowhere, tablets will on the other hand. Will be replaced by phablets (small tablets, big phones).

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Some people say if Microsoft hurts you then just go over to Linux. Well, I've made the switch over to Ubuntu, and then I installed its Kubuntu derivative. My expeirence so far has been mixed. On some levels, linux is just not ready for the mainstream. On other levels, it's already there.

If you have a technical issue, linux seems to have you use the terminal more often which is painful. And the user permissions complicate somewhat file operations. I also have encoutnered some bugs. Bugs are not unknown on Widnows, but the nature of the bugs was basic stuff Windows seemingly gets right. Sometimes I've felt like I'm a Beta tester. However, it's free after all./

As long as you don't dig deeply, Ubuntu is not bad. A frehs install of Ubuntu is not hard to use if you just want to browse and email and play a few random games and maybe play some music. It may be confusing if you're used to Windows. The security is supposed to be very high in Linux becaue of differnet measures instituted, like the Software Center and the file permissions and hte many different distro's and the fact things aren't hidden as mcuh behind proprietary walls.

I chose to move to Kubuntu because I don't jibe with the Unity environment on all levels. Unity is easy, I guess, but it's not my flavor.

One thing linux does well is give us options, lots of em. There're probably dozens of distros and/or flavors. With Microsoft you only have two realistic choices these days: Windows 8 or Windows 10. You don't like? Too bad. I'll though I'll add you CAN get a start menu for Windows 8. Windows doesn't completely fail on this front.

One last thing. Micrsoft has the gaming industry on its side. There're multitudes of games on the Windows platform. While there're lots of games for Linux, it's really a far cry from what's available in Windows. Linux users can use WINE and other tools to run Windows programs, but it can get technical and/or buggy ro get things going.

Best way I can sum up my time in Linus so far is lots and lots of googling and using terminals and monkeying with things like sudo. At times I've wanted to smash my head against a cement block. BUT I've finally reached a place where there's some calm waters. Been about two weeks, so you can expect about that much if you're mildly technical. I'm definitely not a deeply technical user, though. Something as seemingly simple as partitions was painful for me. And even that I'm far from mastering. I've taken shortcuts.
edit on 30-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join