It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isn't she beautiful? Women from another time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Jeanne Elizabeth Crain
Born May 25, 1925
Barstow, California, U.S.
Died December 14, 2003 (aged 78)
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.

Watching a movie tonight called "Dangerous Crossing" and I was smitten once I saw her while channel surfing. There's something about the women of the 20's - 50's that I've always been attracted to. Something about that period where the women seemed more sophisticated and mature than today. I can't really tell how old they are but I'm sure they're in their early 20's, yet...hmmm something...I can't put my finger on. It makes me yearn for a time I was not born in, almost a sense of nostalgia. The fox trot, smokey rooms, swing dancing. Something familiar.

So here I am, watching this movie with this beautiful woman who's been gone since 2003 and was 78 years old. Weird. There's many others though, lets not forget the past beauties of the silver screen.

eta: I almost forgot why I posted in this forum. Reincarnation anyone? Who knows...
edit on 21-9-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Yes, yes she is. No plastic surgery or photoshop required.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's sad almost, born in the wrong time period

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

We just need to live another 100 years and then we can have virtual reality and sex bots to live our life in any period or any girl we want!

Progress.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I love the style of those times. But really, women are not actually less beautiful than then. It is a matter of hairstyling and make up, and photography styles.

I can easily imagine this same woman with make up, hairstyling, and photos done in the current modern style, and she would be just as beautiful, just different.

The thing about that style is that it was very time consuming- that hair had to be permed usually, and set in rollers, stuck in a hair dryer, at least once a week, (and not washed in between).
The make up was often very cakey (for Hollywood, this was probably Pancake makeup) which looked great in photos, but not so great in person in full sunlight.
Black and white photography, with lighting effects, is always awesome- my daughter loves to use this in her photos. You can really play down slight irregularities in skin tone and put emphasis on contrasts.

Though photoshop didn't exist, there were very effective ways of making reality look more esthetic.

The clothing styles of the forties and fifties are something I have always been a fan of, but they were very restricting. High heeled pumps and a pencil skirt, are one of my own favorites, but just try spending a whole day in that, or trying to run to catch a bus! -It is easy to see why the women always trip and fall into the arms of strange men in old movies (...hmm, maybe that is the point???)

I can kinda understand why the women of the seventies rejected this. But as generations swing back and forth, I was all into it as a teen and young adult.

edit on 21-9-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

She's absolutely stunning! I love this era, and earlier ones for that matter, women dressed like ladies and men like gentlemen. Don't get me wrong I love a nice pair of jeans, tshirt and chucks...but the time put in to appearances today aren't as thoughtful as those in the past.

Maybe I'll wear a dress tomorrow...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
She is absolutely beautiful.

I'm not sure about reincarnation myself, but I do believe many of us see these movies and these people and yearn for that time. The question would be why?

So I think that it's more about the era itself than the women we see on the silver screen. I think it's the innocence of that time most of us dream of. The peace. The sense of community. People worked together. People knew their neighbors by name and checked on them when they didn't see them come out for the morning paper. Kids respected adults and were always willing to help anyone in the community for nothing but a cookie and a glass of lemonade.

They knew the sheriff and the deputies. They grew up with them and could trust their judgement and count on them when they needed help.

You knew Cindy Lou Who would be checking you out at the grocery store on Thursdays. She would ask you how you were and really wanted to know. She made eye contact and said thank you when she handed you her change. You also knew that Cindy was working to help her parents make the mortgage because her dad had gotten sick and couldn't work.

You could count on help if you broke down on the side of the road. You didn't have to worry overly much about being accosted or killed in the process. When help arrived and saved the day they didn't want pay, they wanted you to pay it forward.

Parents stayed together instead of treating marriage like a hobby. They knew your teachers. They knew where you were and knew you would be safe. Mom was home when you got home from school. She asked how your day was and paid attention when you told her. There was no two parents working 60 hours a week... Each... Just to put food on the table and keep the lights on. There was family time. No texting. No facebook.

I could go on and on,but I dream of that too. We see so much bad stuff in the world almost constantly thanks to 24 hour news channels and it affects us mentally after a while. We don't like what we see and we yearn for the time when things were different. A slower pace.

Try this song. Even if you don't like the genre, you will enjoy the lyrics.

S&F just for letting me write all of that here.

edit on 9/21/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I think what it is with the stresses today, the fake boobs and Joe Fresh, something about that period is innocent. But it's more than the makeup and the black and white, the ladies had class. That's what's appealing.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

They are beautifull!!

Personally I have a thing with Gene Tierney..

Wiki Gene Tierney

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
They just don't make them like that anymore do they? As a woman I find her absolutely stunning. I'd love to look like that. Her beauty is quite understated yet, obvious all at once.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
There are still classy women around just alot less...a reply to: FlySolo

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

The Museum of Man and Nature in Winnipeg had this whole area rebuilt with streets, little commercial area with a dentist shop, barber shop, restaurant with pie for 5 cents and a functional silent movie theater. I remember standing in front of a life size black and white photo of a Winnipeg in the 50's just staring at it, transporting myself into the past. Quite the place for the imagination of a child.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

oh yeah...she's very pretty. I'm going to read her bio. There's so many over the years and it's a shame there isn't something to commemorate them.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

The Museum of Man and Nature in Winnipeg had this whole area rebuilt with streets, little commercial area with a dentist shop, barber shop, restaurant with pie for 5 cents and a functional silent movie theater. I remember standing in front of a life size black and white photo of a Winnipeg in the 50's just staring at it, transporting myself into the past. Quite the place for the imagination of a child.

A small and cheap escape if only for a moment in time.

If these yearnings do include reincarnation.... Then there are a hell of a lot of us. It is certainly something that gets your brain working and your imagination running wild.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Another sad and tragic story. Here's another of her.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

I have always found that the striking part of that time, in culture and image, was the restraint of the emotional states.
This is what we often perceive as classy. NOT "letting it all hang out". Restrained emotion builds in intensity inside, making a powerhouse of potential energy if eventually tapped.

I have always noticed that, on a dance floor, the women who is barely moving, but the small movements she does do show her body is very sensitive to rhythm (only restraining full expression of it) will pull mens attention more than the woman with just as much rhythm sensitivity, grinding and bumping in a pronounced way.

I think instinctually, most people can sense that the person fully expressing their emotion and sensuality outwardly is using it to their own means already and there isn't much saved up inside to be discovered and seduced out.

The men too, gave off that image of repressed emotion, just waiting for the right woman to coax it out of them, and that if she can, it will be strong emotion- distilled over time like liquor, making your head spin!

edit on 21-9-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I think the word everyone is looking for is CLASS. These women, and men, had class.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Spruce

Everyone of them.

Ava Gardner

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Dropping back into antiquity for a moment, I fell in love the second I saw this painting:
en.wikipedia.org...

I've taken pains not to see the movie or learn anything else about the painting so as to not disrupt the impact that this work had on me.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
no such thing as a beautiful human being. they're all disgusting viruses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join