It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crucial Election Season for Legalizing Marijuana and Ending the Drug War

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

How do you test to see if someone is CURRENTLY high while driving? Even cotton swab tests will show a positive for up to 24 hours after use.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

If and only if a person gets into an accident. If certain metabolites from a certain plant are also present the same thing happens despite no scientific proof one was intoxicated on cannabis at the time of the accident.

The reality is, a large chunk of the US population is prescribed those very drugs with the warning label you mentioned. Also if one is a long term users of such doctor prescribe drug(s), the argument can be made in court that they have built up a tolerance and are not impaired and can even pay certified doctors to stand trial as an expert witness which takes a lot of money.

Money is what this is all about. The perception of public safety on the road is exactly that.

As I wrote before, the biggest danger on the road today is drivers distracted by their smart phones.
edit on 19-9-2014 by jrod because: (s)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: MystikMushroom

If and only if a person gets into an accident. If certain metabolites from a certain plant are also present the same thing happens despite no scientific proof one was intoxicated on cannabis at the time of the accident.

The reality is, a large chunk of the US population is prescribed those very drugs with the warning label you mentioned. Also if one is a long term users of such doctor prescribe drug(s), the argument can be made in court that they have built up a tolerance and are not impaired and can even pay certified doctors to stand trial as an expert witness which takes a lot of money.

Money is what this is all about. The perception of public safety on the road is exactly that.

As I wrote before, the biggest danger on the road today is drivers distracted by their smart phones.

It happened to me. Accident wasnt my fault, either. But I had my prescription with me. They dropped the possession and paraphernalia charges (I had a pill box), but I was on probation for something totally unrelated and the county wanted money. I took the Dui, it beat going to county for three months...they even closed the probation on the other case. Still have 2 months before I get my license back.
I could have fought, but the county I'm in pleads out 95% of cases...and are hard assed when one goes through "the system".

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Blood tests...they can tell range levels and percentages of substances. Pricey, trust me, see my last post, but accurate enough for a judge.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Explain to me in plain English how this would decrease the number of fatal accidents etc by legalizing heavier narcotics?

Never said it would go down, but why would it go up? Druggies and Alchohoics aren't known for being upstanding law abiding citizens. I just don't see any differences a law makes to someone who is addicted to either alcohol or prescription or non prescription drugs.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Pricey makes it improbable to use. look at how easy it is to administer an on the sport Breathalyzer test. No cost, quick results. A blood test is expensive (and takes time to administer). It's just too inefficient of an approach.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
I have serious issues with this in one respect. Although I support the people's right to use/grow Marijuana based on many medicinal properties.

I am still 100% dead set against the illegal Drug trade of heavier Narcotics.

No, I wouldn't put up with a child being driven to school by a crackhead bus driver.

Sorry

NO!

Well i hate to tell you, you're already putting up with it. The only drug that drug testing effectively works against is MJ. That's because it can stay in your system for 2 weeks to 2 months depending on your consumption and physical makeup. Drugs like meth and coc aine can be out of your system in a matter of hours. If a meth user can abstain for 1 day he can easily pass a urine test to get any job. I've actually seen a video (not certain of what country they were in fyi) where a man was smoking meth as he drove his public bus, which he immediately wrecked in a very violent fashion.

Cotton swab tests are a joke. "A friend of mine" passed one within 24 hours, well within for MJ. I'm assuming if they cant detect that they're not worth even using, only assuming though.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Where I live, if there is any suspicion, the leos take you to the hospital to draw three vials. If you refuse, you get dinged for the highest minimum dui. That is even for public intoxication. If innocent, the city, county, or state pays. By expensive, I mean $250. Not bank breaking, but a pinch for those with limited income.

They usually don't whip out breathalyzers in this county. Too many lawyers have beat charges for improper administration or results. Collusion in the system is so bad. The judges and lawyers even set up a rehab facility.
edit on 19-9-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Interesting. That was news to me.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Those people would fall into mental health issues, and would not be given jobs that required public interaction until they'd been rehabilitated- in a humane manner.

That behavior (crack, meth, serious heroin use) would drop by attrition, as it has in other countries. Education from an early age, and as needed, humane rehabilitation.

Also, legalizing everything would allow for natural selection to take over. Humans seem to think we're exempt from it.
edit on 140000002102pmb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Not in Florida. They do not care. It is a game to them.

All the want is a conviction and to demonize the plant. Time and again people are thrown into the Prison/Slave system over minor offenses. Having trace amounts of cannabis is enough to make this happen.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

its awesome. sucks for me though cause it is not even on the ballet in my state. medical or otherwise.

dont know why. for medical it said we needed 365k signatures my july 2 2014... i guess there wasnt enough. i know i signed.

its ok though.

im finally confident that it is happening. its on the ballet in in a lot of states. its decriminalized in a lot of states. its legal for medical in a few states.....
i can wait it out. i do what i do no matter what. it would just be nice to not be a 'criminal' you know.

its happening though. 5 years from now things will be different.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

This years election cycle there is on 4 initiatives on the ballot. But in 2016 will be a huge year for this movement.

Will the 2016 election be about ending the war on drugs?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

It's only going to gain momentum from here. If it isn't a national discussion by 2016, it will be by 2020.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's only going to gain momentum from here. If it isn't a national discussion by 2016, it will be by 2020.

I think the year will be 2016, too many states will have ballot initiatives, for it not to be.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What do you think you're doing now?a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Of course it's a game. They make money on fines and filling jails. With all the senior citizens down there, having medical marijuana would put a hellofa dent in big pharma.a reply to: jrod

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: w8tn4it

And guess who are the major lobbyist against legalization???

It's all about the money.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

can someone explain this to me please? im not really in the know as far as how it really works

so i live in ohio and it is not on. i know you just said only 4 things this year but there is something i dont understand. here is a link and what i dont understand. bold emphasis is mine

ballotpedia.org...(2014)

Supporters were required to collect at least 385,247 valid signatures by July 2, 2014 in order to land the measure on the November 2014 ballot. However, no signatures were submitted by the prescribed deadline

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what am i missing? not even a single signature got submitted???
i know i signed for it several months ago
edit on 19-9-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: w8tn4it
What do you think you're doing now?a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm posting discussion topics on something that I am passionate about. Why are you upset about it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join