It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST SEE!! Student frustrated with teacher...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: aorAki

No your atitude is begets war and violence those are both old ways of thinking they exist in another paradigm.

What paradigm does, "Oh, man. I don't want to do this. It's hard..." fall into?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
A MUST SEE would have been a student who read the packets and then during class engaged the teacher in discussion about the material, either consistently asking questions or making rational observations about the subject matter.

That would have been the difference between a kid with natural and effective leadership skills and a leader 'wannabe'.

I see the latter all of the time, rarely the former.

thats why they go to school. you dont just up and be an inspiring leader, and cant learn how to be an inspiring leader from someone who doesnt know how to be an inspiring leader. so lets blame it on the pup instead of the bitch right? i mean come on, we are born with this stuff.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

"No it's the kids fault.

These little runts won't shut their damn mouths and listen to what their told."

Sounds like a lot of brainwashing doesn't it?
edit on 9/13/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Sorry, but you guys saying this kid is in the wrong are a bunch of idiots. Imagine that teacher was a police officer, and he's walking down the street and sees someone being brutally murdered... "Ah screw it, I don't feel like dealing with it." Or maybe a firefighter feels like taking selfies in front of a flaming house while the family is burning to death inside. Maybe a surgeon doesn't feel like saving a guy's life who was just rushed in to the ER because he was supposed to go on lunch break ten minutes ago.
When you have a job, you have the responsibility to actually do your job. You don't show up to work and just not work. Alot of teachers don't give a single rat's ass about their jobs, and its the kids who suffer. It isn't the students' responsibility to go to high school and then sit there all class before going home to teach themselves the material their teacher didn't feel like teaching them.
I had these two college courses with professors who should have never been hired. One would literally spend half of each class talking about himself and his life and what he did the previous day, etc etc. When he actually got on topic, he'd constantly get distracted and rant about completely unrelated things. That class cost $$$, and I learned absolutely nothing from him. I got a B, but I learned nothing.
Then I had this other professor... Prior to this, all my grades were A's and B's. Easy. I rarely had to even lift a finger to study, because my other professors were good enough to actually teach you the material (imagine that). But this professor... She had no idea what she was doing. She'd give us these printed out papers with little cartoon things on them with little "games" to figure out and then she'd let us sit there and do those while she sat on her computer. This is a college course, and she's giving us stuff that looks like it's for kindergartners. On top of that, at the end of each class, she'd give us these graded quizzes for things she never even went over. I almost walked out of her class at one point when she yelled at a girl for asking a question. I went from breezing through all my classes with easy A's and B's to failing her class. Oh yes, and that was more $$$ down the drain.
So yes, there's a drastic difference between teachers who actually do their jobs and teachers who just show up for a paycheck. Don't even try to say it's the children's fault for not learning.

Teachers, do your *ing jobs. Take some pride in your work and inspire people to learn.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I am enthralled by the spark of interest in a pupil's eyes, their excitement when they finally understand a difficult topic, their appreciation for my efforts and their pride in a good test grade which they bring to show me.
a reply to: Mura44

Respect

The world needs more teachers like you

Cody

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Or we could leave Fantasy Land in Disney World and deal with reality.

Little can be told form this video. For all we know this is teacher of the year and this guy is a disruptive asshat. Can't tell from a minute and a half BUT please, continue reading your own bad experiences into this.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hey, I had some foul teachers in my youth - and I mean BAD! But I managed to get straight A's, graduate early and be on the Deans List and Honor Role through my extended education.

YOU have to take responsibility for YOU. Putting it off as "someone else's responsibility" only shows weakness and cowardliness.

Yeah, it would be great if all our teachers inspired the kids and created little geniuses, but they can't do that when the kids are fighting them every step of the way.

I think the kid's a punk.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It all comes down to the fact that our education system is wildly obsolete. It was designed for the industrial age. The goal was to standardize and automate people for participating in the bureaucracy and manufacturing. The modern goal is to find a job. I've never heard anyone say any other reason except the idealized and unrealistic response of a well-rounded informed citizen. I tutor for a living and the by far #1 complaint is "why do I need to learn this". Half the time there is literally no reason at all.

Kids are smarter than ever. Every single day I'm shocked at their understanding and maturity. They can smell bull# a mile away. The reason our test scores are dropping and they are so apathetic is because they are manipulated and controlled on a constant basis while simultaneously being given every opportunity for distraction. On top of that, very very few parents contribute at all except to pay me or someone else to fix the child their apathy has created.

Two examples of my time tutoring k-12 follow.

1) I was hired to tutor a sophomore girl in history. The first session was going to be me helping her revise her essay. When I arrived a tall but average looking Asian guy was lingering having finished their math tutoring session. He was giving her more tips for her PSAT but finally left. I introduced myself. We chatted for a bit and got to work. She basically told me to just fix her essay and chatted while I read and did some revising. She told me she was proud cause this was the first essay she wrote in two years. Usually her tutors would just write them. She laughed at the Asian guy from earlier who is in her class at school and told how she uses him so hard because he wants in her pants. I managed to ignore when she took a picture of me to ask her friend if he recognized me from an old job I had. This went on for the whole hour. Her mom came and ignored me to monologue about all the colleges she's going to be accepted at and warned me repeatedly, "she better get an A on that paper". I took my money and was polite but refused to go again. I was pretty shell shocked by the whole experience.

2) My favorite is a girl I tutored, the only Jew at a Christian school. She was energetic, curious, playful and intelligent. She was also getting mostly C's and lower. As I tutored her I realized she was getting double whammied. She wasn't bullied at school and had friends but the school and teachers cut her creativity and curiosity off on a regular basis. Her fundamentalist theology teacher especially hated her constant questioning and lack of desire to worship Jesus. Her math teacher would never explain any deeper concept of what they were working on and constant value her stupid. At home she was spoiled by both parents. Her parents were diametrically opposed. Her dad was living but incredibly cruel and treated every little problem as if she were retarded. He did this to me too but much more subtly and not strongly since he knew he couldn't push me too far. The mother was a classic scatterbrained head in the clouds type. Next example when we were all set to spend all summer getting deep into the previous years material so she could catch up the mom cut me off two sessions in. She got her daughter a camp counselor job and decided that was more important for her college education (this is a 7th grader by the way). Two months go by and first week of school I get a frantic call to come help because she's utterly lost already.

These are only two. I could go on forever. People get mad when kids blame the older generations and call them spoiled and ungrateful among other things. They always blame the kids. This is the root cause of most of our social issues. You can't give people access to endless entertainment and knowledge and then blame them for becoming spoiled and apathetic or whatever adjectives people use to disparage what used to commonly be called "out nations future". All I see is a generation that is told to sit down and shut up when they question anything serious and also to work hard and play by the rules just because someone says to. They have been corrupted by their parents generation which took the success of the united States after world war two and under the pressure of McCarthyism and cold war attitude fell into an cycle of narcissism and Machiavellian tactics. We are not #1 anymore in anything except narcissism (more than half of people in this country think they're above average) and economy size and our economic dominance has a less than ten year shelf life. We still call ourselves the greatest nation on earth on a constant basis. We do more harm than good these days and still act like we are the most moral and compassionate people on the planet. It's no wonder these kids are utterly lost.
edit on 13-9-2014 by tavi45 because: fixed formatting

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Your last paragraph hits pretty close imo. This is the "instant gratification" generation. "I want it NOW!". Patience and determination are missing. That's what the REAL things in life take.

As to being told to shut up? I don't think that anyone was more domineering than my parents generation. They were the "Don't do as I do. Do as I say" generation.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
But I managed to get straight A's, graduate early and be on the Deans List and Honor Role through my extended education.

And you had those really cool glasses with the tape in the middle.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Hey, I had some foul teachers in my youth - and I mean BAD! But I managed to get straight A's, graduate early and be on the Deans List and Honor Role through my extended education.

YOU have to take responsibility for YOU. Putting it off as "someone else's responsibility" only shows weakness and cowardliness.

Yeah, it would be great if all our teachers inspired the kids and created little geniuses, but they can't do that when the kids are fighting them every step of the way.

such a shame everyone isnt you. we cant all be glittery and wonderful in the face of adversary. duty is duty. if you cant do tyour effing job, give it to someone who can. our future depends on it.
edit on 13-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
we cant all be glittery and wonderful in the face of adversary.

Probably good that she did it in the face of adversity then.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

such a shame everyone isnt you. we cant all be glittery and wonderful in the face of adversary.

Which imo would be a valid argument if this problem wasn't endemic.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Probably good that she did it in the face of adversity then.

did you have an actual point to make, or was this just you releasing the pressure on your sarcasm valve?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

did you have an actual point to make, or was this just you releasing the pressure on your sarcasm valve?

That was actually irony.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

I apologize for generalizing my comment and I applaud you on your passion for the vocation (not "job", negative connotation these days).

Sadly, I do not see your same passion reflected in teachers today as a whole, you are now an exception as opposed to the rule when it should be the other way around. My children have been taught in several districts in my state and one is AZ, I have 3 sons aged 18, 16 and 11. I have had far more bad experiences with teachers than I have had positive during the past 14 years , watching my middle son slipping through the cracks over and over again no matter how "squeaky" this momma wheel was. My 18 yr old is finishing his credits through a cyber school because he has had enough of the public education institution. My 17 yr old wants to drop out and get his GED when he turns 17 because he was shuffled through 3 of these "continuation" schools. Only to find out 3 months ago that he has Aspergers and that played a significant role in his inability to learn in this "traditional" setting.

I could go on and on with examples of my family's experiences, but I will not bore the rest of the class lol! So I am bitter and jaded over the public school system, I fully admit that. I can only hope that my youngest child encounters teachers of your caliber during the rest of his education. I would give my left arm to have just one child who finds something to be passionate about in school, to fall in love with a subject (or many) and pursue to it's fullest extent.

Thank you for what you do and I truly hope that you inspire MANY children to excel. Maybe you will even inspire some of them to become teachers themselves who will hold themselves and their students to your standards.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That was actually irony.

im sorry you felt it necessary to mock my posts when im proceeding as gravely as i can manage. i wish someone had been there to tell me i was responsible for my own education, that way i could have explained to my parents their money was best served being handed directly to me for school supplies because teachers cant be trusted to handle the job themselves.
edit on 13-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Alas, it's true...

duty is duty. if you cant do tyour effing job, give it to someone who can.

And what is a student's job? Do they have NO responsibility in this endeavor?

Look, teaching and learning is a two-way street. You can't MAKE kids learn. Sometimes the teacher has to work a little harder than the student and sometimes the student has to work a little harder. That's life.

This kid already dropped out once and came back to learn. If he REALLY wanted to learn, he'd read the packet and LEARN something from it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

im sorry you felt it necessary to mock my posts when im proceeding as gravely as i can manage.

Interesting on how you can condescend another poster's accomplishments, which they should be justly proud of, but when someone points out your illogic you find it not to your liking.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Children cannot be held to a standard of personal responsibility give me a break.

I didn't truly understand the meaning of that slogan until I was an adult.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join