It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST SEE!! Student frustrated with teacher...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I mean thats how they grade the papers not how they taught to do them. Everything has an answer sheet. All the paper work is produced by some company. I never saw it so i dont know if it has the steps listed out but it likely didnt so she went so long thinking it was correct without ever checking. She was one of the worst mathematics teachers I had. I would get assignments of as much as 100 equations regularly from her. And this was special ed version of the class which i was misplaced in which lead me to doing things I learned back in middle school already. Basically special ed means they teach you less and make you stupid by focusing too much on repetition of small aspects not going into things. A lot of people in the class im sure were able to do the work fine but they never were taught how to properly or were just tired of the repetition and were shown no patience or sympathy. Just her constant whines and eye rolls and mocking laugh present. She wast totally horrible but she was just this uncaring old lady who belittled everyone in a sweet little old lady voice.

Most of the good teachers I had were all art teachers and english teachers. I had maybe one good maths teacher. (im forcing myself to say maths since its technically more correct as there is more than one and sounds cute lol).

In middle school i had teachers aids walking aroud class and they were more a distraction and trouble than they were actual help since they all had vile personalities and extremely strict. Cared more about ordering people around than helping them.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

I've had a lot of teachers, obviously some teachers are going to be below average but I find that it's not because they don't know the material but rather because they don't know how to convey their thoughts. A lot of it has to do with the process and this translates to any field with repetition. It's efficient to do the work once and write down the answers. If a mistake gets made then that mistake gets copied time after time, whenever that works is referenced.

Students have a few jobs, one is to study the material but another is to make an effort to learn what the teacher is saying. Many students neglect this part of their jobs. I can give a real life example here. Right now I'm taking a math class and my teacher is horrible. He takes two hours to explain something that could be summed up more clearly in two sentences. Part of my job as a student with this teacher is to make an effort to understand what he's saying.

The other job a student has is to verify everything a teacher says. In math class this is easy because any explanation is accompanied by a proof. Teachers can be wrong, they make mistakes. If you don't question it and determine it to be true, you aren't learning how to think, only how to repeat.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Of course they reject it.

They intuitively know this is the most ridiculous way to teach especially in the modern world.

By 6th grade myself and my classmate had already realized how ridiculous it was to learn like this!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Different people learn in different styles. I said it before and I'll say it again. We need to start testing students to determine their learning style. Then pair them up with teachers that teach in that style. It makes no sense to me that we have students who learn in left brain, right brain (actually these are both discredited now, but I don't know the replacements), high attention spans, low attention spans, abstract vs spatial reasoning, and all the rest.

Specializing our classes seems to me like it would alleviate a lot of these issues. Other than that, a lot of school really does get done at home. Parents share some responsibility, but in the era of two family incomes parents just don't have the time to do this. I remember growing up my parents were always at work so I had to do it all on my own. That's not a good situation for students to be in.

There's other things that need fixed too of course but I think this would alleviate a lot of it as so much begins with the teacher, but each teacher can only teach in the styles that reflect the ways they think.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I think we need to start individualize g things again.

I'm not sure how to do this yet but I've come to the realization that people need to be dealt with as individuals and we need to stop collectivizing everything.

We need to understand each other and have empathy instead of trying to be smarter or build bigger things we need to take dare of humanity first.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
There is a wiki page that lists off the learning style categories but its not just one method.
link
Im not sure how classes could be divided like that really. It could work but it would require more teachers. Ive also heard introverted and extroverted people need different things too so maybe group work shouldnt be entirely disalowed or pushed but im not sure.

Parents can make poor teachers because they are not up to date with information being taught usually and their opinions get in the way for example a young earth creationist trying to teach Evolution is a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually a lot of things i learned in school were not entirely up to date or accurate either. Maths is easiest example so i will use that. In elementary school you are told do math problems left to right. But by the time youre older and doing algebra youre told to use the PEMDAS order. Its not hard to adapt to but youre essentially being taught false info from the start then later told its wrong. Maybe not best example but it gets the point. Im likely safe to bet they still teach in history class the egyptians built the pyramids with slaves even though this is accepted as wrong but maybe it changed by now im not sure. In science we are told the smallest things we have are protons, neutrons, and electrons but they never mention quarks which are smaller but they just pretend its not there because they dont cover that info so they give wrong info to avoid questions.

School work in classes needs to be organised better too. There are so many times when no work in any class is present then suddenly huge assignments or tests are given in mutiple classes at the same time. It should be spread out to not overwork students and clog their minds with too much at once or they will be more likely to forget. It was so rediculous it got to the point where my dad actually did some of my assignments for me just so i could finish ones i was better at myself as there wasnt time to do these things and yet you expect students to take even more time to pick up the slack where the teachers lack? Im not saying people learning on their own is bad its good but it shouldnt be required to the point it makes teachers useless or to take up so much time that school becomes everything.

Honestly i remember next to nothing i learned in school. I remember random things i read online or saw on tv better sometimes.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join