It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Christmas Miracle - Seventy-nine percent of Americans believe in Virgin birth!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
The Christmas Miracle

Most Americans believe the virgin birth is literally true, a NEWSWEEK poll finds

Nah, Ed, the miracle is that they could come up with those stats at all. Is it even possible that, what was it, 79% of the nation is Christian

My hope is that all groups can learn to get along, and not just because of Christmas.
I believe Jesus lived and I don't think he be too cool with the way most professed Christians live their lives. I think he'd have problems with many organized religions, too.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
virgin birth IS possible through a freaky sci-fi mutation or something that went very wrong or with the help of aliens, NOT by God

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Personally, I don't believe in the virgin birth and I don't see it as an essential belief, although most, if not all, Christians would disagree with me. Jesus taught that to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, one must be born again, by which he meant that one must be born of the spirit, just as we were born of the flesh. All the rest is extraneous.

Grady I must ask then, do you believe the bible is the written word of God?
I would agree that virgin birth is not a requirement of belief, I just don't understand how one could not believe? No ill meant.....

link   
If I am wrong.....I truly apologize! Not because you are a mod, but because I would honestly hate to think an untruth of someone....however....you seem to have gone to great lengths to try and prove me wrong here, which has not worked. I am not the type of person to condemn whole masses of humans...I do not hate anyone at all, not even those that some say deserve it, it takes far to much of ones energy to hate that can be used elsewhere for a more positive outcome...you are the one that falsely labeled "me" Yes, I am a very vocal and very opinionated woman. If you have taken the time to read my post you would of also learned that I actually believe that the basis of the bible is real and much of it is truthful, just not the way it is in it's current versions, you would also know that I believe Jesus did exist......but no one today practices what he taught.....I tend to call out to those that try to push something down another's throat. I do not do deal with that and the more I feel as if someone is pushing, the more I will shove back. Yes, I am of another faith, but I believe that all faiths, if followed as taught, are honest forms of worship. Everyone wants to get to top of the mountain..... but may take different paths to get there.

link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

My hope is that all groups can learn to get along, and not just because of Christmas.
I believe Jesus lived and I don't think he be too cool with the way most professed Christians live their lives. I think he'd have problems with many organized religions, too.

Very well said, that is what Christmas is all about tolerance and love for each other as human regardless of religious believes, political affiliations, racial or social status and gender preferences.

That is what is all about love and tolerance, I hope some around here can get some of that in their harts.

Ed all I am doing is just for fun, Merry Christmas mijo.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Only 1,000 out of about 150 million (at the least) adults were polled, that is .00067% of them. And anyway, everyone knows that 89% of statistics are bull#.

Even if this were true, what is the point. Are we supposed to jump on the bandwagon? I think you remember a main reason why eurpoeans emigrated to this country in the first place....religious freedom.

If we, as a country, are to give up tolerance whether in support of christianity or against it, then the foundations of this country are crumbling indeed.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Personally, I find it disappointing if seventy-nine percent of Americans believe conception can happen in a human without a sperm to fertilize an egg.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
Personally, I find it disappointing if seventy-nine percent of Americans believe conception can happen in a human without a sperm to fertilize an egg.

It was done through the intervention of God and not through a natural process.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I would agree that virgin birth is not a requirement of belief, I just don't understand how one could not believe? No ill meant.....

I don't believe that the Bible is a literal historical record, but I don't try to convince others to believe otherwise. The lessons of the Bible is far more important than the facts.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I don't believe that the Bible is a literal historical record, but I don't try to convince others to believe otherwise. The lessons of the Bible is far more important than the facts.

Fair enough, I have done a lot of research into the versions and the archaeological evidence for the book and I believe that it was God Breathed for sure imho. The laws that were given to the Israelites that enabled them to avoid bacteria and other things, a higher being was involved imho.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a higher being was involved imho.

For once :::faiting and falling over here:::: we agree on something...yes indeed! A higher "being"!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Fair enough, I have done a lot of research into the versions and the archaeological evidence for the book and I believe that it was God Breathed for sure imho. The laws that were given to the Israelites that enabled them to avoid bacteria and other things, a higher being was involved imho.

Remember that in no small measure, Jesus, himself, challenged the letter of Mosaic law. It was from a slavish adherence to the law that Jesus sought to free the Jews and he taught his lessons in the abstract to escape the wrath of his detractors.

Nox

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

For once :::faiting and falling over here:::: we agree on something...yes indeed! A higher "being"!

I paused, stunned.
Then the full implication of what you said hit me.

For my part, I don't believe in the virgin birth.

I was going to make a comment on the statistics until I took note of the jolly tone of the original post. I took into context that it was (slightly) inspired by Christmas, which is coming up, so I kept quiet.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Well yes it is just the identity of the being in which we differ. I think that one is crystal clear.

Remember that in no small measure, Jesus, himself, challenged the letter of Mosaic law. It was from a slavish adherence to the law that Jesus sought to free the Jews and he taught his lessons in the abstract to escape the wrath of his detractors.

How true you are, but he lived under the law as it was intended ( I mean He wrote it
. Working on the sabbath to save the cow or heal someone as an example. He can to save us from the law, that is what the Gospel is all about.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Presumably the Moderator who gave LogansRun a nice little red tag for his comment - which contains a good amount of logic supported by many other members and a label for people of low reasoning ability that has often been used by particular Moderators and Super Moderators - is in the 79% category himself or herself, and a raw nerve was struck.

Whether the measures are 51% or 79% in any belief pattern, the majority can very often be wrong. We do not live on a flat earth with the sun revolving around it.

I hope LogansRun is not put off by acts of pettiness.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wow! I didn't see that warning. I understand that you can not call someone names.....but I thought that the moron remark was directed at the general populous....not a specific person!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Those "moron" comments are the ones that start flame wars and drag every ATS thread into the gutter. A person could post that every thread started in ATS is either started by or believed by morons - it solves nothing and adds nothing to the discussion. People can disagree with a subject and provide an intellectual response at the same time. Anything else is just doing damage to ATS.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ok..I see your point, wouldn't that be like giving Ed a warning for his thread title, "It's the economy stupid and it good" he's not calling anyone stupid....just generalizing....same thing isn't it?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You are right. I don't think that is the best title because it is baiting people to come in and flame him. Sometimes titles are meant to be "catchy" so that people will look at the thread. I don't know if that's the case or not because I don't know that thread. But I do agree, not only to people try to ruin threads by posting stupid comments but many threads are started based on stupid comments. Neither is good.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Now wait a second,

that was the title given in the link

It�s The Economy, Stupid, And It�s Good!
By Alan Caruba (bio)

how can I be faulted for the name of the article itself, I usually just put the name as the author decides it.

But again, I don't care....give me the warning................either way.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join