It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Very Nearly Killed in a POWERFUL Microburst in Elgin IL Today

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You haven't mentioned what if any precautions you took after being drenched. Personally, I find that so much as sitting on wet ground, let alone being caught in a rainstorm or blizzard ALWAYS makes me get sick with a severe cold about three days later. I have found a way that keeps me and my relatives from getting this though. As soon as I get indoors, dried off and changed, I heat up chicken soup and eat that ... even if I'm not hungry. It's medicine in advance. I ALSO drink 16 oz of cranapple juice and take double a daily dose of B & C vitamins. I do the soup and vitamins on day 2 and 3 as well. When we do this ... we don't get sick. When we don't ... we always get sick. So, something in that mix helps prevent a cold.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Now you know why an advanced alien civilization would build their bases at the bottom of the ocean or inside mountains. Modern humans have lived in the most calm period of geologic and atmospheric times. Other planets may have much worse surface conditions.

When I read the OP I was thinking you were exaggerating a little. Then I saw the pics. Damn! You almost did die!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Man, that had to be the worst! I usually do what I call "storm preparedness", like, I get candles/matches ready, flash lights, get my purse handy with all my ID stuff in it, extra pair of under ware, LOL and close the venetian blinds and all of that...but, it is those quickie storms that creep me out the most...like they just blow up out of nowhere and there isn't even enough time to shyte or go blind. I hate those. I usually get antsy when just dark clouds are around and the lights flicker because what I hate most of all is lightning!!! Storms that light up all around us, trees bending over and stuff blowing around and then the thunder that actually shakes the house...forget it! Hubby usually has to drag me out from under the bed, by the ankles.

So glad you guys are ok. Ya'll didn't have many choices getting caught by surprise like that. Just glad it worked out for you but sorry to see so much damage in your area. Stay safe guys!

PS. Now this is creepy, I just heard thunder here and it was nice a minute ago when I started typing. I'm in NW Louisiana. Yikes, I'm signing off for now.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

And yeah, a Volvo, a couch, a tree... Anything that weighs more than you and is moving faster than you, well that's death incarnate.

So now you know, next time go to ground. Sort of like when the bullets are flying…

Thanks for sharing. Getting caught in hella storms is one of lifes great adventures. Surviving them is greeter because we get to tell how dumb we were and still lived through it--

"It was crazy, the wind was blowing, crap was flying and were running right through the middle of it all!"

Can I get a EEEE_HAAAW!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I experienced one that was similar way out here in Texas this year. Lunch was ready and I was eating, everything was still and then I look back through the Window and it was like a freak thunderstorm rolled through, the wind blew the chairs off their legs, heavy rainfall came in so thick that it was impossible to see clearly 10 feet in front of you for a few seconds. That time is did see, the wind was really testing the limits of the trees around my home, mind you this only lasted about a minute. Next day I was picking branches up and the day after that I took a walk, there were trees along the road.

Only annoying part about it wasn't the microblast itself, but one person yelling "TORNADO OH MY GOD MY CIGARETTES OH NO TORNADO, HAALLP HAYULLP SOMEONE!"

overall, it was a strange experience. Good you're okay though.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

That looked crazy. You guys are very lucky, glad nobody got injured or killed. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Crazy story. Thanks for Sharing.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

It's so great to see all of you taking the time to read this and share your thoughts and experiences. It really gives life to an otherwise disturbing moment for me. Thanks to all!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Can I get a EEEE_HAAAW!

More like COMINATYEEAAAHAAAA!!!

edit on 6-9-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Good to hear you made it to safety. Never heard of microbursts before.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Glad you survived that....and while it wasn't quite as bad here in Michigan....it looks eerily like your pictures around much of my city.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
weird double post,.....sorry
edit on Sat Sep 6 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trexter Ziam
You haven't mentioned what if any precautions you took after being drenched. Personally, I find that so much as sitting on wet ground, let alone being caught in a rainstorm or blizzard ALWAYS makes me get sick with a severe cold about three days later. I have found a way that keeps me and my relatives from getting this though. As soon as I get indoors, dried off and changed, I heat up chicken soup and eat that ... even if I'm not hungry. It's medicine in advance. I ALSO drink 16 oz of cranapple juice and take double a daily dose of B & C vitamins. I do the soup and vitamins on day 2 and 3 as well. When we do this ... we don't get sick. When we don't ... we always get sick. So, something in that mix helps prevent a cold.

That's very good advice, but I didn't do anything really. Probably should have changed out of the wet clothes, but I think I'm alright... See how I feel tomorrow I guess.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I live in carpentersville. I work at a landscaping company in Dundee. I happened to be working in elgin when the little storm came through. It hit me while I was driving. I was on Duncan street. Right under the construction of i90. An right after it came hard !!! The cables were on the floor I ran drive right through them. Branches were on the road I had to maneuver around them. It was horrible !!! I felt like I was in the 2012 movie for a second ! It was crazy.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Looks like your guardian angel stepped in to save you from getting crushed by that tree.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ernest0
I live in carpentersville. I work at a landscaping company in Dundee. I happened to be working in elgin when the little storm came through. It hit me while I was driving. I was on Duncan street. Right under the construction of i90. An right after it came hard !!! The cables were on the floor I ran drive right through them. Branches were on the road I had to maneuver around them. It was horrible !!! I felt like I was in the 2012 movie for a second ! It was crazy.

Yeah so you know exactly how it was then. It really was that bad.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
WOW Glad you guys are ok and with all those trees everywere its a wonder one didnt smack you. I love crazy weather but when your stuck in very intense weather it can get bad quick. I was in my house when the roof went flying off and debris went everywhere in hurricane frances. After the hurricane everyones cleaning crap up and piling huge mounds of wood and garbage on the streets when hurricane jean came in at the same place 2 weeks later and blew it all down again. Crazy stuff
edit on 7-9-2014 by flareva1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2014 by flareva1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

How terrifying. One feels so insignificant when nature strikes with full fury. I have a feeling you'll be shaking for a few days. I am so glad you are both okay.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I heard that Hoffman Estates and Barrington got pounded but I didn't realize that Elgin got hit that hard. I am in North Aurora and barely got anything but I was driving towards Naperville, Lisle and Oakbrook and I had to stop on the side of the road because visibilty was nill. Glad you are OK.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ccseagull

One feels so insignificant when nature strikes with full fury.

It's true, but instead of insignificant I would use the phrase "utterly helpless."

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join