It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TN pastor vows not to ‘repent’ for homophobia: God says gays ‘must be put to death’

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

Says you!

One is eating pork...say eating BBQ ribs ........and the other is having sex with a person of the same sex. So yea, there is a large difference between the two.

No, actually, save in the severity of the punishment laid down by the bible. The OT merely prohibits the eating of pork and shellfish. Homosexual behaviour is punishable by death. The thing is, so is lying about virginity, breaking the Sabbath and apostasy.

You need to read the New Testament as well. I guess you overlooked the book of Acts it is in the New Testament. I can eat all the pork and shellfish......all I want. It is forbidden to sleep with someone of the same sex.

You are doing it wrong if you are looking for religious reasons to justify your hate.

who said anything about hating a person? all of humanity are sinners. all are condemned to death for that. however there is a get out of death for (almost) free card. But if you hate everyone who is condemned to death you hate us all and you hate yourself. There is none righteous; no not one. so christian condemnation of sin including homosexual acts is not about hating the sinner. or as you imply; fearing a sinner. however salvation and standing in the church is contingent on following God's commandments to the best of your ability. God is not mocked. insincere lip service will not do for receiving his grace. this means you cannot apologize to God for your sin and all the while continue in sin. Sincere repentance is required. That means that a homosexual who continues to commit homosexual acts is not saved. Just as a liar or a thief or any other sinner cannot falsely repent effectively.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
"Hate the sin, not the sinner" ---- total crap

"We are all sinners. We are born in sin" ---- more crap

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I know there are a lot of Bible oriented Christians as members here at ATS. Should Gays be put to death? Exorcised? or punished by being banished?
quoted from OP

It is terrible that ANY pastor would say this. As for your question above none is applicable from my view point at least.

As long as people leave children and animals out of their 'sexual romps' it's no ones' business.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaphneApollo

I know there are a lot of Bible oriented Christians as members here at ATS. Should Gays be put to death? Exorcised? or punished by being banished?
quoted from OP

It is terrible that ANY pastor would say this. As for your question above none is applicable from my view point at least.

As long as people leave children and animals out of their 'sexual romps' it's no ones' business.

It's funny you say this. The Virgin Mary was probably about 12 when she was betrothed, and while is CLAIMED to have been a virgin before having Jesus (unlikely, she either said that to lie about infidelity or it was something made up LONG after Jesus was born) she certainly had sex after he was born (what couple wouldn't?). So it is VERY likely that Joseph (age 33) married and had sex with an extreme minor and Jesus was the result (or at least his siblings). We know this because that was the custom of the area at the time. So while Christians spend SO much time hating homosexuality, the father of their messiah practiced pedophilia on the mother of their messiah (who is practically worshiped herself these days).

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

That would make sense if homosexuality was a choice, too bad science is proving that that isn't the case. So basically you are telling people to deny their natural urges because god (who made them that way) disproves of them. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me. OR just maybe it's all hogwash and homosexuality is just fine because all you Christians misinterpreted a benign passage transcribed thousands of years ago by uneducated goat herders. I like that sentence better, it sounds closer to reality than "all humans are sinners".

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: Annee

But of course, but that is what is wrong with the bible. You cannot read it literally, so it fails as a scientific text. Therefore the claims within it could mean anything, and without said higher power coming down and straighting us all out with the "correct" interpretation there is no way to know who is right or not. The book is useless for anything but studying what past humans believed. For a history book or a science book, not so much. And that is the biggest problem we have with religion today is that they ARE trying to use it for those two purposes.

Yes. And who did the original transcriptions? Novice monks ---- who are gonna see God in everything.

I understand some original writings have now been released for others to transcribe. That there are atheist scholars working on their own transcriptions. I would like to read those. Of course we don't know how many writings came before.

I didn't hear about this. Are they still working on it? Do you have any links, that I can look into this with?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I didn't hear about this. Are they still working on it? Do you have any links, that I can look into this with?

Not off hand.

I was the receptionist of my husbands business. In other words, I "surfed" all day. Read tons of stuff over a 20 year period. Will try to find something on it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

Do you know about the "Digital Dead Sea Scrolls Project"?

ATS thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also on web: dss.collections.imj.org.il..../project

EDIT, SIDE NOTE of interest. Both Larry Page and Sergey Brin, founders of Google are atheists.

edit on 4-9-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I do now. Just clicked on the War scroll on and got this description:
The War Scroll

Against the backdrop of a long biblical tradition concerning a final war at the End of Days (Ezekiel 38–39; Daniel 7–12), this scroll describes a seven stage, dualistic confrontation between the "Sons of Light" (the term used by Community members to refer to themselves), under the leadership of the "Prince of Light" (also called Michael, the Archangel) – and the "Sons of Darkness" (a nickname for the enemies of the Community, Jews and non-Jews alike), aided by a nation called the Kittim (Romans?), headed by Belial. The confrontation would last 49 years, terminating in the victory of the "Sons of Light" and the restoration of the Temple service and sacrifices. The War Scroll describes battle arrays, weaponry, the ages of the participants, and military maneuvers, recalling Hellenistic and Roman military manuals.

This work is not, strictly speaking, an apocalypse (namely, a heavenly revelation), and it lacks a "messianic" figure. Certain details, such as the advanced age of the combatants and the leadership of the priests, point to the idealistic nature of the war described in the work and impart a fictional quality to the treatise. Nonetheless, the War Scroll may indeed reflect genuine political tension in Judea between Romans and Jews, which would culminate in the outbreak of revolt in 66 CE. The scroll also sheds light on the New Testament Book of Revelation, in which a final war is also described between earthly and heavenly forces.

HA! Looks like all that end time hype we hear about here on ATS is a bunch of bull spittle. Man this looks interesting, I may spend the rest of my afternoon at this site.
edit on 4-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

HA! Looks like all that end time hype we hear about here on ATS is a bunch of bull spittle. Man this looks interesting, I may spend the rest of my afternoon at this site.

Cool.

I always equate the Jesus story to the Johnny Appleseed story. Both real men. Then the separation between reality and myth begins.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Nice comparison. I just say that Jesus developed a HUGE cult of personality around him. The rate at which rumors get spread and embellished makes it quite obvious that most of the stuff attributed to him was done so.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This guy is gonna be gay in his next life...

& God will be pissing himself!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yet you seem to participate in many Christian-bashing threads.

Basing your opinion on an entire group based on just a few, are we?

I only participate in Child-Abusing/Child-Neglecting and Christian Lies topics (whether Christians are doing it or not. I also call out other extremist groups) . But maybe you never picked that up. Maybe you are too knee-jerky to realize that your opinion is based on fantasy, sensationalism, and rhetoric, NOT on reality. Could be. I don't know. At this point, don't even care.

My response to you, beezzer, was based on the fact that your post appeared to indicate that you HAVE NO IDEA what "progressive Democrats" (or liberals) are all about. If it (your post) was meant to be outrageously misleading and satirical, please enlighten me. Obviously other members were also unclear about whether you were being sarcastic or not. The groups you named are as far-right and Bible-oriented as they can possibly be....racist, ignorant, violent, hateful people.

I am not a "Democrat", btw - yet I do agree with many Progressive ideas.

But you SEEM TO BE so nauseated and upset by the very word "Progressive" that hearing it shuts down your brain and you won't even go to the trouble to learn what they are actually about. Sad.

I don't care what you think of me. And your accusations are ridiculous. If you are going to participate in political threads, at least learn the difference between Nazis, KKK, WBC, and PROGRESSIVES.

Jesus. (sic) *eyeroll*

edit on 9/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaphneApollo

quoted from OP

It's funny you say this. The Virgin Mary was probably about 12 when she was betrothed, and while is CLAIMED to have been a virgin before having Jesus (unlikely, she either said that to lie about infidelity or it was something made up LONG after Jesus was born) she certainly had sex after he was born (what couple wouldn't?). So it is VERY likely that Joseph (age 33) married and had sex with an extreme minor and Jesus was the result (or at least his siblings). We know this because that was the custom of the area at the time. So while Christians spend SO much time hating homosexuality, the father of their messiah practiced pedophilia on the mother of their messiah (who is practically worshiped herself these days).

Interesting, but your evidence for all of the above us what? "Probably" is not very definate.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I really dislike the term progressives in general when used to describe someone's political belief structure especially when used as an insult. Those who carelessly throw the word around are indirectly calling themselves regressive, which is simply idiotic.

Another fun one is "the intellectual elite," aka the angry republican way of saying "People much smarter than myself."

Either way I'm tired of people trying to change the world based upon the will of their imaginary friends. It's time to stop believing in magical sky people...and you know, maybe mature as a society. Those who don't think that decent moral reasoning is possible without the threat of punishment from an outside source, in this case God, are generally considered to not be as mentally developed by many modern psychologists.

I think the movie The Invention of Lying hit the nail on the head. There was no religion until one day someone learned how to lie.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
...all of humanity are sinners. all are condemned to death for that...

No, they aren't. Sin is a myth employed to control those among us who are just the right amount of stupid or scared.

We die because we are made of meat and bones. Unless you are also saying that a cow is condemned to death for it's sin, too?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953

Either way I'm tired of people trying to change the world based upon the will of their imaginary friends. It's time to stop believing in magical sky people...and you know, maybe mature as a society.

Me, too. Thanks for your post.

Yes - it's time for societies to grow up and get with the program. There is no 'magical sky person' coming to "save" anyone. It's up to us. Only us. Us alone. Just us. No help, no heavenly cavalry on its way.

sigh

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 9/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The fact that it is up to us makes the human story much more poignant and important. Without a creator life is all that much more precious, it's even more important to cherish the one's you love and treat others with kindness. We have each other, that's it, that should be empowering.... Religion keeps one weak and compliant, easy to mold and manipulate, which is why I reject the notion.

Even if I'm wrong, I can almost guarantee Jesus would be ashamed of what his followers have become. Modern Christians are much like the pharisees Jesus opposed. All caught up in fabricated rules, regulations, concepts, and far off of their path. All I'm saying is if one is going to believe in magical babies created without sperm at least get the magical baby's message right.

We live on a tiny little speck in a nearly infinite universe, but let's shank each other over whose god has the bigger penis. What a great plan.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join