It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO landing site? Meteorite crater? Scientists baffled by gigantic 262ft hole

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Bilk22

Edit: Not sure I buy the "global warming" excuse as we know that's not happening

I know, right? People always berate the 'ufo crowd' or the 'ancient-alien crowd' for jumping to conclusions, but before an investigatory scientific team arrives, the story has this caption:

"The enormous crater could be caused by global warming, with gas exploding below the surface"

No, no it could not. If it were a gas explosion, it would have happened with or without SUVs and people on the planet.

As much as I hate the "GW causes everything" slant of the media, that's not quite true, as warming does release more methane as permafrost melts. But it doesn't happen explosively, as far as I am aware!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kismetpair927
Wow they really didn't wait at all to try and throw the global warming spin in there. Not that it doesn't exist (necessisarily), its just any environmental issue now is "global warming", like how the Pacific dying has nothing to do with Fuku.

I'm certainly interested to read everyone's theories; I do concur that it has the "prarie dog hole" shape that suggest earth was moved from the inside out. I mean hell, I'll throw it out there: Inner Earth? Didn't they just officially annouce an underwater ocean? Vast underwater Ocean Can we really say that it's NOT possible?

Yes, it must be "global warming," Earth is turning into Arakis (Dune) and what we are seeing is the ejection of the first primordial sandworm.

Now if we can just find some "Spice" we could fold space and send all the politicians and bankers someplace else LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow!!! I am going with the Methane after reading these articles about the area stating:

“The Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Area is home to one of the largest untapped sources of natural gas and gas condensates1.” & “The Yamal Peninsula juts out several hundred kilometres into the Kara Sea just east of Novaya Zemlya and is underlain by frozen ground, or permafrost, at depths which range up to 300 metres in places.”
www.maanystavat.fi...

&

“One of the world’s last remaining wildernesses, the Yamal Peninsula protrudes like a giant thumb into the Arctic Circle, squeezed between the icy Kara Sea and the vast Gulf of Ob. As I fly by helicopter from Salekhard, the capital of the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Region, to the base of the peninsula, the terrain below resembles a saturated, mouldy sponge – hues of green, gold and brown are interspersed with countless perfectly circular lakes, themselves connected by hundreds of streams and rivulets that weave mesmerising patterns among them.”

Note: Perfectly round circular lakes??? Any natural or has happened before connection?

“Scientists say that, should the permafrost thaw, it could accelerate global climate change by unlocking billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide and methane. As temperatures rise, microbes locked within the permafrost begin to break down organic matter in the upper layers, releasing the gases. Methane is 23 times more efficient than CO2 at trapping solar heat over a 100-year period, says Vladimir Chuprov, head of the energy unit at Greenpeace Russia, and in some areas, it’s already possible to see methane bubbling to the surface of lakes.”

www.geographical.co.uk...

Methane like popcorn popping!!??

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

If the earth farts and no ones around to hear it, does it make a sound?

What about the cunning "silent fart" that plagues us at times?

Does a silent one make a noise?

If earth can fart then can the earth produce a silent one like humans can?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

It's also a near perfect circle which makes it a bit odder

Near perfect circle?

Yes you could imagine a circle from seeing this hole but no where near perfect and not circular with a clean edges so I really cant see how it could be near perfect any shape.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Could it be a buried bomb or something which detonated and exposed the caverns below?
Limbo

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The thing about this hole is, they suspect this event occurred about two years ago and was only just discovered. If it were the product of a natural event as described, and the fact there's so much water in the area, wouldn't the hole have filled with water as it seems other holes have done? It also seems like it's "maintained" in some sense. No real erosion or additional caving of the berm or side walls.

This hole also looks to have at least one large chamber branching off at a tangent from the vertical hole in the ground surface. "More better" pics would be welcome

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale
Silent but Deadly

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

To me it almost looks like the type of hole an auger makes....the detritus matches perfectly. Now if only the hole were perfectly round then we would have an excellent option. Giant auger!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I wonder if it's those creatures from Godzilla.... gasp, they are real!

originally posted by: jtma508
There have been several threads about these kinds of holes showing up in and around Russia for some time. Deep. Perfectly round. Smooth sides.

Really odd that this has happened several times in the same country... makes you wonder what's going on. Natural occurring events or not?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Any better source than the Daily Mail (aka scumbag central)?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The story made the front page of the Daily Telegraph too. That gives it additional credibility. Scientists Baffled by Appearance of Giant Crater in Siberia
edit on 150754163America/Chicago by Smidge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Just this minute saw this story on skynews.

wow. that is a huge hole!

My first thought when I saw the still frame of the hole on the video was UFO Mothership. lol.

Then i viewed the actual vid and believe it to most probably be a massive explosion underground but I think we need to stop extracting resources from the Earth... its causing it to implode. It may be too late.

What about CERN? They have been very quiet of late and lots of sinkholes have been appearing since they started that experiment.

news.sky.com...
edit on CDTWed, 16 Jul 2014 16:12:35 -05000000003104x135x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It amuses me the way the Telegraph practically dismiss the mystery with just a few words at the end of the article. Even although they haven't got a clue what caused it. Why the headline then? Surely, either the experts are baffled or they aren't? Typical mainstream media! They really hate a mystery.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I may not know what has happened, but I clearly see 2 elliptical holes being made

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavenlaar
I may not know what has happened, but I clearly see 2 elliptical holes being made

Yeah I was going to point that out myself. Looking at it again after one poster questioned my description of "almost perfect circle", I see that it actually looks like two overlapping circles.

If this occurred two years ago or so, it's odd that it still has a "new" appearance.
edit on 97625Wednesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
According to a Belarus website, they are sending an expedition today to take a closer look.

(translated by Google)

It will take an initial analysis of water, soil, air, they will look at what it is actually.

Such phenomena Yamal - not news, it was in the past, and the year before. Land falls, the earth is restored, permafrost soils behave unpredictably. Underwater river washed the soil thawed fell.

Although some experts are inclined to think about a meteoric phenomenon. In any case, you need to look at the site, if there is any debris, fusion and so on.

Translated Link

So, they're on their way to take a closer look. I hope they tell us what they find...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ionwind

They might fall in.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Newsflash... A giant hole has opened up in Russia. Police are looking into it.

Ba-dum-tish

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hah! Very Monty Python!

No one has mentioned the debris still streaming into the dark cavern on all sides. Agree it looks quite recent.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join