It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell Hath No Fury Like A Female Strom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Three times as many people go leg up when faced with a hurricane with a female name than they do when the storm has a male name.

"A hurricane with a relatively masculine name is estimated to cause 15.15 deaths, whereas a hurricane with a relatively feminine name is estimated to cause 41.84 deaths," according to the study.

Linkification Here

Before all you blokes out there go celebrating your new found gentility, here's the rub;

"In judging the intensity of a storm, people appear to be applying their beliefs about how men and women behave,"

"This makes a female-named hurricane, especially one with a very feminine name such as Belle or Cindy, seem gentler and less violent."

Somewhat alarmingly then,

"In other words, our model suggests that changing a severe hurricane's name from Charley to Eloise could nearly triple its death toll."

I'd say the response from the Meteorsexual people should be obvious, I wait with baited breath.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 3-6-2014 by myselfaswell because: stiuped finguers

edit on 3-6-2014 by myselfaswell because: quoting of the source article

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

In Australia cyclones (which turn the other way to hurricans) are named alphabetically and are named as soon as they officially become a cyclone, irrespective of how severe they become after that time.

Interesting stats all the same
edit on 3-6-2014 by learnatic because: typo

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Indeed, cyclones in the southern hemisphere and anti-cyclones in the northern hemisphere. Been through both.

The interesting point here is gender stereotyping, maybe this should be in some other forum, I'll let the Mods decide.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
So Hurricane Myra or Irma would be pretty devastating....

Strange but some how i dont think changing a name half way through would change the outcome, but of course thats impossible to test - probably why they were so confident to say it.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Non researched; But isn't rare for a cyclone/hurricane to receive a male name? Since most of them are female names, then we'd need to know how they avg the death numbers.

EDIT
Glad I said 'non researched'! Upon reading the article (tuttut me) I've learned that the gender is not a factor. Must have been some weird myth that got into my noggin.
edit on 3-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Seriously, do I have to spell it out.

Peoples perception, based on the sex of the name, dictates their level of preparation. Female named hurricane equals a perception of weakness and subsequently not so much prep. Male named hurricane, perception of strength, heaps of prep.

Honestly, what? What made this so difficult?

edit on 3-6-2014 by myselfaswell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Is that reply for me?

Honestly, I do deserve some wrath because I was referring to the maths used to get the results because I thought (wrongly) that female names were far more widely used, hence was wondering how the figures came about. I have no idea where I got that idea from though!?
Anyway, I've been enlightened that male/female naming convention is an even spread, so indeed it is an interesting finding and I apologize for not reading the article first, especially if it's upset you.

I personally think it must be because females always go about willy-nilly sending out mixed messages. It dumbfounds us into non-action. Maybe if all the worlds females could be a little more clear on things and not leave us guessing in the dark. (Hurricanes or humans? I'm losing track now)

So, to keep the world safe they should just denote them by the same name followed by a number. The name should be "I'm a motherflipping weather weapon and I'll pwn you all - 14" for example.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Here in the US they are named in order by alphabet and I think they rotate by male/female names. They choose the names in advance.

For 2014
Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

I guess we could call this a type of divination being used ?

When we are being studied on our practices in the very distant future... someone will decide that we were mystical for naming our hurricanes and perhaps come up with a similar scenario and reason such as your discussion in this thread.

:-)
leolady

edit on 3-6-2014 by leolady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Ok Dokey,

Lets all take a deep breath and read the OP, as well as the source supplied.

If you are still not getting it, this is my last shot.

Woman are seen in society, stereotypically and erroneously, as being weak. The response to a hurricane with a female name, is a weak response, with respect to preparation. This has been determined as a subconscious response based on peoples perception of the sexes. This poor perception of reality results in higher fatalities for storms with a female name as opposed to a male name.

Storms with male names result in less deaths as a result of the opposite of the above.

If you are still not getting this you've got problems.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I could also put numbers on that list and say all of the odd numbered storms deal out less deaths than the even numbered storms.

So I don't need the names or the sexes, just odd and even numbers. Do the names really have anything to do with it. Could it be just every second storm?

P

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I give up.

Whateva

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
didn't Art Bell attemp to influence the weather through a "Collective Consciousness Experiment" once...i seem to recall he had everyone concentrate for rain in california & it did happen a few days later, when no rain had previously been forcast

an experiment testing a somewhat "paranormal" effect observed by Art Bell. When a large number of people simultaneously concentrate on a single event happening (such as the weather changing, etc.), it has been known to mysteriously come true, as though the collective concentration of a large enough number of minds can actually manipulate time/space at will.

now he or george norry refuse to do any more of these "Collective Consciousness Experiment" for fear of the Unintended consequences.....

if one were too apply this same idea global warming,, then it could be argued that the hysteria over it is actually causing it ,,and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

could be the results of the Collective Subconsciousness , I don't know ,,I will need a million dollar government grant to study it...before its too late..... or atleast double what the University of Illinois got for their research & analysis of hurricane names...
edit on 3-6-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So maybe the female names should be more like:

Fangoria
or
Cruella
or
Devilina
or
Godzilda

:-)
leolady

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: leolady

Yes, that would be helpful. If it sounds like it can eat concrete, or turn people into concrete, it's probably going to be a winner.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

top topics

join