It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine's charges set 'terrible precedent'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well I think this shows just how bad America is hates, even by some of its own people. The man is trying to protect himself and his buddies and now he is charged with warcrimes?

It is cases like this that show why the US should not be in the world court. It would be blatentqaly biased against us.

This disgusts me to no end....

And to those at ATS that thought I was gone, well I am back and just as sick of liberals as I ever was....

Marine's charges set 'terrible precedent'

REBUILDING IN THE GULF - Marine's charges set 'terrible precedent'
Lt. Col. West's lawyer sees similarity to case he defended

Posted: February 12, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Art Moore
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Noting similarities to the case of an Army officer he defended more than one year ago, a U.S. military lawyer says Marine commanders should have the courage to dismiss charges against a lieutenant who could face the death penalty for killing two insurgent terrorists in Iraq.

Pantano addressing officers of TBS (The Basic School), October 2003

Neal A. Puckett, who represented Lt. Col. Allen B. West, told WorldNetDaily the case of Second Lieutenant Ilario G. Pantano could set a dangerous precedent.

Pantano, charged Feb. 1 with premeditated murder in connection with the April 15, 2004, shooting incident, claims one of the men he shot appeared to be preparing to attack the Marines or detonate nearby explosives.

Then, according to Gittens, one of the suspects turned suddenly toward Pantano "as if to attack." When Pantano ordered them to stop, they kept moving toward him, Gittens said.
Pantano "thought he was in danger and he fired and he killed them and that's what we do to terrorists who don't listen to orders. ... It's a combat situation, kill or be killed," the attorney told Reuters.

Source

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Welcome back, ed.

How was it that this guy was charged? Who filed the charges, on whose word?

I hope it wasn't one of those damned embedded's...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So the US shouldnt stand up to its peers?
The charges seem a bit strange but there may be more to the story, with the information i have i would say the marine is not guilty.
BUT the US should be in the world court because its part of the world no matter what its people think.
It is one of us and should stand with us and should be judged by us the same way that they would judge us.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Actually its not a surprise, from the beginning he was going to be charge anyway, onces the government find fault he is good as a guilty verdict.

The military charge him not the liberals or the American people.

And for the previous comment on sick of liberals well nobody forces you to be here. Right?

So what is your point the military charged him not me and either anybody in ATS.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Its the mindset of the "left" that it is always an Americans fault. If you read the article you will see that he acted in self defense and tried to protect himself. But you Michael Moore fans like to see America hammered and taken down.

This soldier is a hero and should be treated as such. I hope when its all over Bush pardons him just to piss you anti war folks off.....

BTW Marg - You never did tell me what your husband thinks of the war in Iraq.....about the electioins..etc etc....and I bet you still will not say....

[edit on 12-2-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
first of all I did posted when the news were out, it was not my opinion,yours or anybody here that charge them it was the military, he is as good as guilty and is nothing we can't do about it, sympathies or not blaming the right or left is not going to change that fact.

link   
So let me get this straight, a Marine in a War Zone killed someone who he deemed a threat to himself and his men and he is being charged with murder?
Hell, you may as well bring everyone who has ever taken a life in a War zone up on a murder charge then. Hey i know, there are quite a few Vets who stormed the beaches in Normandy still alive lets bring them up on charges as well. In fact lets get every Soldier who has served in a War zone and charge them all with Murder, i mean you can never be too careful can you? /Sarcasm
I swear the World has gone mad, if he thought these guys were a threat then he did the right thing, what did they expect him to do? Ask the guy politely if he was about to detonate a bomb? Christ, what is the World coming to?

Oh and welcome back Ed

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Janus]

link   
So he shot someone who does not abide by Geneva convention (beheadings?) great, one less guy that deserves ritual humilation at Abu Garcea (whatever prison). Hell, I know Executives that pay good money for such treatment. Any self respecting liberal should have deduced that all those complaining prisoners were just homophobic.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Its the mindset of the "left" that it is always an Americans fault.

Thats a bit much mate!
Just cause you disagree about stuff theres no need to make them out to be against america!

If you read the article you will see that he acted in self defense and tried to protect himself.

Yeah and I stated that.

But you Michael Moore fans like to see America hammered and taken down.

Exscuse me?
I've done nothing against you and you make a personal attack against me?
Thanks alot!

This soldier is a hero and should be treated as such. I hope when its all over Bush pardons him just to piss you anti war folks off.....

Yeah he is a hero and has the guts to go over there, I sure as hell dont!
Do you?
Before you make acusations why dont you get a taste of it?

Also thank you ed yet again you have managed to hype up this whole "left hates america" thing YET AGAIN!

[edit on 12-2-2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ed, no Americans hates our soldiers, the actions of our soldiers are govern by their superiors if they think him guilty he will be judge even if you, me or anybody else thing the opposite.

That is the way of the military.

Don't try to use this thread to start a left and right bashing no American citizen voted to have him judge the military did.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Its the mindset of the "left" that it is always an Americans fault.

Originally posted by devilwaspThats a bit much mate!
Just cause you disagree about stuff theres no need to make them out to be against america!

Well what would you call it? Hammering your own country when it attempts to do the right and just thing?

Originally posted by devilwasp

If you read the article you will see that he acted in self defense and tried to protect himself.
Yeah and I stated that.

That you did....

Originally posted by devilwaspExscuse me?
I've done nothing against you and you make a personal attack against me?
Thanks alot!

Against you personally? No not at all, but against the America is a bunch of warmonger mentality, yes.

Originally posted by devilwaspYeah he is a hero and has the guts to go over there, I sure as hell dont!Do you?Before you make acusations why dont you get a taste of it?

I have served my country and I would go again if needed......

Originally posted by devilwaspAlso thank you ed yet again you have managed to hype up this whole "left hates america" thing YET AGAIN!

I take it I have been missed? Thanks!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The military has provided nothing to Pantano or his lawyers on why is being charged. I found this website - defend the defenders It is a group designed to raise money for those in the military whose decisions to kill are being second guessed.

“This is a pretty sick case,” Mr. Gittens said. “It makes me ill to think the Marine Corps would have charged him as he is charged. The guys he killed are known to have been insurgent terrorists.” The attorney said the Marine Corps has not yet informed him of their side of the story, other than to notify him of the charges.

B.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The Marine Corps always does what's best for the Corps, not the individual. The individual always does what's best for the Corps, not himself, unless it just works out that way.

I know a Marine who enlisted as a Private and despite two courts-martial retired at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Sometimes the only way to get to the truth is through judicial proceedings. Obviously, the Corps has decided that enough evidence exists that the Lieutenant committed a crime to prosecute. He will likely get a fairer trial than a civilian charged with a similar crime.

Also, there will be considerable public interest, just as there was in the case of Lt. Col. West, so this will not be a situation where the Corps can just decide to hang this guy out to dry for convenience sake. There had better be proof beyond a reasonable doubt or the publicity will be blinding.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ed, no Americans hates our soldiers, the actions of our soldiers are govern by their superiors if they think him guilty he will be judge even if you, me or anybody else thing the opposite.

That is the way of the military.

Don't try to use this thread to start a left and right bashing no American citizen voted to have him judge the military did.

But it is in this day of political correctness that the military could even bring such charges. Remember the guy who held the gun to the Iraqi's head to get information that ended up saving some of his squad mates? He got charged for cruelty even though it saved lives. He came home a hero even though he lost his commission.

It is the mentality that I attack, not personal people.

Abu Grad prison would be an example, did they go overboard ? yes but what was the call among the left? Go for Rumsfeld.......he did it....

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Well what would you call it?

I call it exerciseing your rights, do you want us all to support one side and just have no diffrences?

Hammering your own country when it attempts to do the right and just thing?

AND WHO THE HELL GAVE YOU OR Y0UR PRES THE ABILITLY TO CHOSE THE RIGHT AND JUST THING TO DO?

Against you personally?

You insult the left , you insult me!

No not at all, but against the America is a bunch of warmonger mentality, yes.

What a loud of high horse bovine excriment!
Get off your high horse and come down here and talk like to me like an american citizen, not some self imposed judge.
You can be against them but what exsactly gives you the right to them?

I have served my country and I would go again if needed......

You sure as hell dont sound like it! I thought it gave you experience and made you wise to the world.

I take it I have been missed? Thanks!

I wouldnt say missed more like gladly wished you would stay gone..but hey thats my personal opinion!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
When this issue became news, I remember that I posted that the ones blame for the fate of this young man is the ones that allowed the news cameras to film the whole scene of what happened that day.

That film is what will condemn him. Sad but true.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
devilwasp

Your attack on ed is wholly uncalled for and the only reason you wish he were not around is because you can't deal with someone who sees the world differently than you.

You should give ed a heart felt apology.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwaspI call it exerciseing your rights, do you want us all to support one side and just have no diffrences?

Well when it is the RIGHT thing, YES.

AND WHO THE HELL GAVE YOU OR Y0UR PRES THE ABILITLY TO CHOSE THE RIGHT AND JUST THING TO DO?

The American VOTER! They elected a person with GONADS. Not afarid to take a chance and pursue the right.

Originally posted by devilwaspYou insult the left , you insult me!

Well you said it, not me....

What a loud of high horse bovine excriment!Get off your high horse and come down here and talk like to me like an american citizen, not some self imposed judge.You can be against them but what exsactly gives you the right to them?

Originally posted by devilwaspYou sure as hell dont sound like it! I thought it gave you experience and made you wise to the world.

It made me recognize that there are those among us that cant grasp reality. I also agreed to defend the constitution against all enemies both Foreign and domestic.....I call an enemy and enemy and could care less if it hurts feelings and is not politically correct.

I wouldnt say missed more like gladly wished you would stay gone..but hey thats my personal opinion!

Someone has to make sure the truth is told and the leftists horsepucky gets called.....

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Grady has a point DevilWasp, i saw no personal attack on you mate.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

And to those at ATS that thought I was gone, well I am back and just as sick of liberals as I ever was....

Well Ed,
you sure know how to endear yourself amongst the libs
*Gone but not forgotten*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join