It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hennessey Venom GT : Fastest Street Legal Production Car. New World record?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hennessey claim world record over Bugatti Veyron

PAY attention Bugatti. Texan tuner and manufacturer Hennessey have set a new world record for the fastest street legal production car.

The Hennessey Venom GT reached 270.49 mph (435.31 km/h) on a runway at the John F Kennedy Space Centre in Miami, Florida, eclipsing the previous record of 269.86 mph (434.29 km/h) set by the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport at Volkswagen's secret test track in 2010. Using the same landing strip once used by the Space Shuttle, the Venom GT's record speed was confirmed by GPS and on board tracking.

The Hennessey Venom GT is amongst the most powerful and fastest road cars in the world. With a twin-turbocharged 7.0-litre V8 kicking out a phenomenal 927kW (1244 hp) and weight 1244 kg means a power to weight ratio of one horsepower per kg. A standing start to 100kmh is reached in 2.7 seconds and a record setting zero to 300kmh in 13.63 seconds.

All that remains now is for the good ol boys at Hennessey to do it again in both directions with the Guiness World Record people watching for it to become official.

With all the Gloom and Doom in the world these days I thought it would be cool to see another type of International confrontation other than what has transpired lately. It's not quite official apparently so I guess the articles title should be called into question. Anyway the Texas group if and when confirmed may have taken the top spot away from Bugatti Veyron.

For comparison...

Bugatti Veyron

Boasting a maximum speed of more than 400 km per hour, the Veyron is unmatched in the super sports category. It offers a total of 736 kW (1,001 HP), and its ample power reserves even at high speeds are the fabric of dreams for luxury-class limousines: for a constant speed of 250 km/h, the Veyron only needs 270-280 HP. This means that the seven-gear clutch transmission works with a torque of up to 1,250 Newton meters. The Electronic Stability Program ensures the necessary flexibility and maneuverability at any speed. The Veyron reaches velocities that would literally lift the car off the ground – if it weren’t for its ingenious aerodynamics, which keeps it firmly on the road even at full speed. Adjusting the back spoiler, reducing ground clearance, opening and closing the lids – it all adds to the perfect balance between propulsion and downforce.

Such a super sports car may not seem to be brought to a halt easily, but the Veyron’s ceramic brakes slow it down faster than it can accelerate. While it takes this exceptional car only 2.5 seconds to go from 0 to 100 km/h, it needs even less time – a mere 2.3 seconds – to come to a standstill from 100 (reference point). To reduce the risk of injuries in accidents, Bugatti had a Formula 1 safety concept adapted for the Veyron. All these technical details combine to make the Veyron a truly exceptional super sports car.

I'll take one

Of each....

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I always thought the veyron was ugly as hell

That venom is super sweet and sexy as hell

I know what my next wet dream will entail

Ty sir

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

haha... no one would be insane enough to buy that thing, or a Bugatti for that matter...

Once you pass 400hp you can barely touch the gas without ripping the rubber off the wheels...

I guess it was made to break a record though...

Bugatti made an enhanced version of the Veyron to just to beat the old one...

This record won't last long...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

With a twin-turbocharged 7.0-litre V8 kicking out a phenomenal 927kW (1244 hp) and weight 1244 kg means a power to weight ratio of one horsepower per kg. A standing start to 100kmh is reached in 2.7 seconds and a record setting zero to 300kmh in 13.63 seconds.

yes please.

have you heard the soundtrack of this beast?

Something I would like to hear, also an acceleration I would like to feel, 300 in 13 yes please.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If I start saving right now, I think i'll be able to have one in time for my 150th birthday... I better quit smoking...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Nice - I'd like to see the after market mods though - could it destroy a Bugatti Veyron??

This looks HEAPS nicer....

NOW, big fella, hows this bloke modifying off-the-shelf GTR's in the US and busting out 1300hp of street legal man-dream..
Mr Dynamic Turbo OR boost logic - weaponised shizzzzzza!

And now, watch a GTR DESTROY and Veyron - go to the 2min mark and watch the destruction.

Switzer GTR v's Bugatti.

Good stuff bloke, I like me some horsies, and boost, and maybe a bit of Nos.

edit on 25-2-2014 by Sublimecraft because: add pic of weaponized GTR

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Just for some fun
Eurofighter Typhoon vs the Veyron on Top Gear, because that is sensible right?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

that is a bloody sick machine though...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Bucket List for sure.

Take them off the runways, put them out here and let the horses run free. May the best jockey win.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

reply to post by ErosA433

I'm sure there is some sort of wholesome daily application in all of this...

Somewhere

edit on 25-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Id have this one. street legal 7.9 seconds quarter mile with impressive speeds.

edit on 25-2-2014 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
absolutely

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

F@#kin' sweet!!, I was ready to jump in and fight for the honour of the mighty Nissan GTR, but you beat me to it, hats off to you sir!, ive driven quite a few of them from the early ones (1980's) to the recent ones. Without a doubt my favourite car to drive.....and to look at!!.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

There's quite a bit of discussion about the Venom's record run in Jalopnik's comment section under the article.

Regardless, I love the beefy look of the Veyron more than the Venom.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by eNumbra

That sounds too good owwwww eeeeeeee

I need to be excused for a while.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Anyone with money can make crazy looking speed demon... the problem is the reputation.

Woooo! someone put up a GTR!

You cant just jump into the sports car club just like that, gotta earn their reputation.

I never liked Bugatti, its just overpriced crap that runs out of gas after two signal lights.

It's the semi-expensive sports section which is much more reliable and affordable.. such as

Nissan GTR

AUDI R8

Acura/Honda NSX

Toyota Supra

one of my closest friend has a GTR and my friend's friend has Audi R8 and as well as a GTR.

edit on 2/25/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/25/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Another_Nut

I always thought the veyron was ugly as hell

That venom is super sweet and sexy as hell

I know what my next wet dream will entail

Ty sir

I always thought it was pretty ugly myself it is fast and was cool to watch Richard Hammond drive it in the UK version of top gear (which is a better show than our version here in the US ) Those guys have one of the coolest jobs in the world !
edit on 2509u2 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Awesome cars!

But really.

I'm trying to picture me driving it to Walmart with my son because he needs more socks and underwear.

My lifestyle doesn't support those kinds of vehicles.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

beezzer
Awesome cars!

But really.

I'm trying to picture me driving it to Walmart with my son because he needs more socks and underwear.

My lifestyle doesn't support those kinds of vehicles.

Well if anyone here gets one I work at the kemah texas walmart

I would love to chage your oil

And ill grab those socks and undies for yiu too

On the house

edit on am220142810America/ChicagoTue, 25 Feb 2014 10:12:07 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join