It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems press other drug stores to pull cigarettes.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
wow, talk about fake outrage...CVS, a corporation is doing this, not the government...it's a business decision, not Obama's or democrats....get a grip people....you might have to go another 100 yards down the road to buy cigarettes...I should know, because I smoke, nobody is taking away your freedoms...do you know how silly that sounds?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

jimmyx
wow, talk about fake outrage...CVS, a corporation is doing this, not the government...it's a business decision, not Obama's or democrats....

Oh please. Don't even give me that. This is the healthcare mafia that has been brought about by Obamacare. They are worried about losing money because now they will be insuring people who would be smoking if something wasn't done to "encourage them" to stop. This is not going to stop with cigarettes and it isn't just a business decision. Obamacare is a law that forces businesses to change the way they do things. One way or another, ALL businesses will eventually stop selling tobacco products because people who are losing money due to being forced to insure smokers by Obama are going to find ways to make them stop selling cigarettes.

And the same thing is going to happen with things like alcohol, "junk food" and anything else that causes health problems. Influential people will pull whatever strings they need to pull to make things happen when they need them to. CVS has to do business with insurance companies and the government. Both entities can make things unpleasant for them if they choose to. And that's assuming the key people involved in this thing are not hardcore liberals to start with. Obviously, if they are, the government would not have to force them in order for liberal policies to be strongly influential in their decisions.

This is the closest thing to the mob. Insurance companies cannot choose not to cover smokers under Obamacare. That's not a business decision. That's practically racketeering.

At any rate, you assume that you can just take these things at face value and whatever the media reports is all there is to it. Obviously, this is unbelievably naive. It's really hard to tell what kind of depravity is going on behind the scenes when it comes to something like this that doesn't pass the smell test.
edit on 12-2-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

BrianFlanders

jimmyx
wow, talk about fake outrage...CVS, a corporation is doing this, not the government...it's a business decision, not Obama's or democrats....

Oh please. Don't even give me that. This is the healthcare mafia that has been brought about by Obamacare. They are worried about losing money because now they will be insuring people who would be smoking if something wasn't done to "encourage them" to stop. This is not going to stop with cigarettes and it isn't just a business decision. Obamacare is a law that forces businesses to change the way they do things. One way or another, ALL businesses will eventually stop selling tobacco products because people who are losing money due to being forced to insure smokers by Obama are going to find ways to make them stop selling cigarettes.

And the same thing is going to happen with things like alcohol, "junk food" and anything else that causes health problems. Influential people will pull whatever strings they need to pull to make things happen when they need them to. CVS has to do business with insurance companies and the government. Both entities can make things unpleasant for them if they choose to. And that's assuming the key people involved in this thing are not hardcore liberals to start with. Obviously, if they are, the government would not have to force them in order for liberal policies to be strongly influential in their decisions.

This is the closest thing to the mob. Insurance companies cannot choose not to cover smokers under Obamacare. That's not a business decision. That's practically racketeering.

At any rate, you assume that you can just take these things at face value and whatever the media reports is all there is to it. Obviously, this is unbelievably naive. It's really hard to tell what kind of depravity is going on behind the scenes when it comes to something like this that doesn't pass the smell test.
edit on 12-2-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

So, the healthcare mafia "brought about by Obamacare" forced CVS to stop selling smokes? You mean there wasn't one before? And why pick on CVS? What about the hundreds of other chains still selling them? They lose money if they don't encourage them to stop smoking? Like a pamphlet or something? Seems that would be more affordable for CVS. You have anything to back up that claim?

Regarding "soon" no one will be able to sell alcohol or junk food, inform me when that happens. I've been on ATS for a long time - I guess I'll check back to that claim in another twenty years and see where we are with that.

Are the people "involved" with this hardcore liberals? I don't know - ask the insurance companies that wrote the bill. I wonder why they'd write a bill themselves that wasn't a good business decision for them. That's weird. I'd agree it's racketeering, as the insurance companies are the ones making the rules.

As far as the "depravity" going on behind the scenes, you just need to look at why the insurance companies would write such a law. It may have something to do with their bottom line, I'm guessing.

CJ

edit on 13-2-2014 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

ColoradoJens

So, the healthcare mafia "brought about by Obamacare" forced CVS to stop selling smokes? You mean there wasn't one before? And why pick on CVS? What about the hundreds of other chains still selling them? They lose money if they don't encourage them to stop smoking? Like a pamphlet or something? Seems that would be more affordable for CVS. You have anything to back up that claim?

Oh, OK. It's all just one big coincidence. Obama signs a law that forces everyone to buy health insurance and forces health insurance companies to sell insurance to people with preexisting conditions (correct me if that doesn't mean they can no longer "discriminate" against smokers) and suddenly these kinds of changes start happening within a matter of years. All coincidence, right?

Regarding "soon" no one will be able to sell alcohol or junk food, inform me when that happens. I've been on ATS for a long time - I guess I'll check back to that claim in another twenty years and see where we are with that.

Actually, I was just at the store and figured I'd grab myself a Hershey bar. Every one of them were barely thicker than a credit card. Now I haven't heard anything about the size of a candy bar changing but I know what I just saw and I know these same candy bars would have been at least twice as thick a few years ago at this same store. They were not the only candy bars that were smaller than they used to be either.

So what happened there? Candy bars have been about the same size for as long as I can remember (and I'm 40) and they just now started mysteriously shrinking. Why?

Are the people "involved" with this hardcore liberals? I don't know - ask the insurance companies that wrote the bill. I wonder why they'd write a bill themselves that wasn't a good business decision for them. That's weird. I'd agree it's racketeering, as the insurance companies are the ones making the rules.

OK then. We don't really disagree that much. Obviously, I can only guess on some of this but if the main people responsible for Obamacare (and the people who voted for it and signed it into law are more responsible than the people who wrote it in my book) are not liberals, there must not be any liberals left because they liked it enough to participate, to vote for it, to defend it tooth and nail and to demonize anyone who said a bad word about it. Anyone who has ever been associated with liberalism has been all for Obamacare as near as I can tell. The only criticism I've heard from the left has been mostly lately because they know the elections are on the way.

As far as the "depravity" going on behind the scenes, you just need to look at why the insurance companies would write such a law. It may have something to do with their bottom line, I'm guessing.

Oh, no doubt. But again, the Democrats didn't have to let them write the law. Why did they?
edit on 13-2-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

Oh, OK. It's all just one big coincidence. Obama signs a law that forces everyone to buy health insurance and forces health insurance companies to sell insurance to people with preexisting conditions (correct me if that doesn't mean they can no longer "discriminate" against smokers) and suddenly these kinds of changes start happening within a matter of years. All coincidence, right?

I think the fact they can't discriminate against pre-existing conditions is great. There are many reasons that don't have anything to do with smoking why you may have one. I'd say whatever the reason that is a good thing.

Actually, I was just at the store and figured I'd grab myself a Hershey bar. Every one of them were barely thicker than a credit card. Now I haven't heard anything about the size of a candy bar changing but I know what I just saw and I know these same candy bars would have been at least twice as thick a few years ago at this same store. They were not the only candy bars that were smaller than they used to be either.
So what happened there? Candy bars have been about the same size for as long as I can remember (and I'm 40) and they just now started mysteriously shrinking. Why?

Your Hershey bar is smaller and this has something to do with Obamacare? Seems to me to be happening with all food and has been happening for a long time. It's better known as making more money.

less food for the same price is nothing new

OK then. We don't really disagree that much. Obviously, I can only guess on some of this but if the main people responsible for Obamacare (and the people who voted for it and signed it into law are more responsible than the people who wrote it in my book) are not liberals, there must not be any liberals left because they liked it enough to participate, to vote for it, to defend it tooth and nail and to demonize anyone who said a bad word about it. Anyone who has ever been associated with liberalism has been all for Obamacare as near as I can tell. The only criticism I've heard from the left has been mostly lately because they know the elections are on the way.

You can name call all you want. It's all the same thing. The bill is bad because the gov as usual took the corporate dime for it. Of course by government you include both parties. They both feed of the corporate trough. What elections are you talking about?

Oh, no doubt. But again, the Democrats didn't have to let them write the law. Why did they?

Because they are spineless and part of the machine that gives thanks to the almighty dollar (corporate interest).

CJ

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join