It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems press other drug stores to pull cigarettes.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by openyourmind1262

If one really wishes to do right by their local economies, they don't utilize a CVS or Walgreen's (or worse, Wal Mart). My drug store is the same one that people used 40 years ago, and before that.

Locally owned by local people.

I support my local mom and pop drugstore who has been there for over 50 years.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
When fukishima starts giving everyone cancer appart from smokers i will laugh my bollocks off. Smokers can fight radiation better than none smokers. And guess what,the rate of increase in skin cancer is directly propotional to the rise in sunscreens!
Its the agender to make us ill. Whether its the # they put in foods,or in creams,or from exhausts,gmo's they are coming for you. Everything thats good for you is banned. Sunbeds are next lol
They tell you to eat a wide and varied diet but centenarians eat the same things everyday,always have.
The oldest living people in china eat hemp seed soup everyday -wake up people,campaign for food labeling,dont drink/eat sweeteners,they give you diabetes. Your tongue tastes sweet,your body prepares for sugar,body gets no suger-equals big insulin problems

So smoke if you want to,we are all going to die...
Hitler was the first to ban smoking

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Drug stores, pharmacies, sell cancer sticks?

The cigarette companies lace the tobacco with chemicals that make you addicted to their lethal product. Where's the FDA been? Big business lobbyists controls our government.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Watch the move "thirty seconds over Tokyo" not only is it a good movie, but there is a scene just before the pilots take off from the ship that sums up the hazards of cigarettes. One of the pilots buys ten cartons of duty free " coffin nails",,,,
The movie was released in 1944. Anybody that says they didn't know cigarettes were dangerous is lying. The health risks of smokes has been know for a long time and smokers know the risks. Let them kill them selves off.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Selling a substance that is so detrimental to health in a drug store, to me seems amazingly illogical/greedy.
I just bought a packet of J.P.S 40's for $25.60 here in Australia. I buy 40's because they're cheap..lol.

The price of cigarettes go up every 6 months here. The tax revenue that would have been lost from people stopping smoking due to logic, health reasons, UNAFFORDABILITY, etc, is offset by the increase in price; i.e : more tax. It will eventually get to a stage here where the PAIN of paying for a packet of cigarettes will not justify the PLEASURE of the nicotine fix.

Good, I hope they get to $1000 a packet, because it is very difficult to quit the stupid habit/addiction of smoking cigarettes by just shear will power alone. Though when they succeed , tax revenue from cigarettes is going to crash just like the housing market did.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am no longer a smoker as I have switched to e-cigarettes, but I will never, never shop at a CVS ever again because of their choice.

And any other retailer that follows suit will also be boycotted by me and some friends and family.

It is their right as a company to decide what they sell

It is the people's right to be displeased with their choices and shop elsewhere.

If they think it's their place to control what we do with our own bodies I hope they fail and their stockholders go broke. Stop supporting these control freaks.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

rupertg
Drug stores, pharmacies, sell cancer sticks?

The cigarette companies lace the tobacco with chemicals that make you addicted to their lethal product. Where's the FDA been? Big business lobbyists controls our government.

Yeah, that chemical they lace them with is called nicotine. A more readily absorbed form, but still nicotine.

You do know nicotine naturally occurs in tobacco and has been smoked (and caused addiction) for a long time?

What's next, you gonna claim drug companies invented opium? LOL!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
When fukishima starts giving everyone cancer appart from smokers i will laugh my bollocks off. Smokers can fight radiation better than none smokers. And guess what,the rate of increase in skin cancer is directly propotional to the rise in sunscreens!
Its the agender to make us ill. Whether its the # they put in foods,or in creams,or from exhausts,gmo's they are coming for you. Everything thats good for you is banned. Sunbeds are next lol
They tell you to eat a wide and varied diet but centenarians eat the same things everyday,always have.
The oldest living people in china eat hemp seed soup everyday -wake up people,campaign for food labeling,dont drink/eat sweeteners,they give you diabetes. Your tongue tastes sweet,your body prepares for sugar,body gets no suger-equals big insulin problems

So smoke if you want to,we are all going to die...
Hitler was the first to ban smoking

Cancer rates going up, smoking rates going down.

Government people still wanna lie, or do they wanna re-work some numbers on cause of death to avoid fraud charges? Oh yeah I forgot, if someone works for the government they are immune from anything and everything.

Smoking isn't going to make you healthy but it's nowhere near as dangerous as they have been saying.

Now they are having TV commercials where they show people missing arms, legs, and fingers, and claim smoking was the cause.

REALLY NOW?

Smoking makes your limbs fall off, yeah everyone knows that, doesn't everyone have a 1 armed, legged, 3 toed family member who was a smoker?

Same thing with diet just like you said. They claim fat and meat is bad for us? Really? Because I lost a ton of weight and have been in the best health of my life after switching to a high-protein high-fat diet low in carbs and sugar. I eat tons of meat, I'm always full, all my meals are delicious, and I've never felt better or been healthier. They tell us most of our meals should be grain and bread? That's called sugar. No wonder everyone is a weak fatty they avoid meat and eat nothing but sugar thinking it's more healthy. How stupid. Maybe that's the point, half the population is in a constant blood sugar spike or drop they can never actually think clearly. This explains the emotional, irrational, impulsive behavior most people exhibit. Like a little child who hasn't had lunch yet.

HMMMMM???? There is bull chit EVERYWHERE and the worst part is so many people believe it.
edit on 10-2-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dukeofjive696969

Hey I'm American and I'm not complaining or crying. I don't smoke but I do drink alcohol and I honestly wouldn't care if cvs or walgreens quit selling it.

It's just an attempted smear campaign and fear mongering against the left. They didn't outlaw ciggs but some people are outraged and blaming Obama.
we have real serious problems in the US who the hell cares?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

SaturnFX

Just to make sure, the complaint then is that people are using their right to free speech...gotcha.

I'm glad you checked, because you were totally wrong

The government does not have rights to free speech. If you are acting as a senator, or a president, or congressman you do not have free speech for your official capacity.

If they want to get around at a Red Robin they can hate on cigs all they want. When acting in an official capacity they don't share that right.

Surely you can't just say anything you want at your job, can you? Are your free speech rights being violated? No, because you are an employee and when on company time you follow the rules.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

game over man
ATS seriously, if the major commercial tobacco giants go down maybe all of the other evil corporations will go next? That's how I see it. Doesn't mean tobacco is outlawed. Commercial cigarettes are filled with so many chemicals anyway, you should buy high quality tobacco at a mom and pop smoke shop.

You think they are going to let you keep your little mom and pop smoke shop in the end? Their goal is a tobacco free America, not a corporation free America. They have literally said exactly that (tobacco free America) you must have missed it.

You are using the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" tactic, and it's a terrible one. Anyone with at least one eye and one ear knows how much trouble that little idea has got the whole world into.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

buster2010

Hoosierdaddy71
I live in a state that doesn't allow carry out alcohol sales on Sunday. You can sit in a bar and grill to get hammered but you can't take any home. That's brilliant government at work.

That is a state law not a federal law. And who do you have to thank for blue laws like this one? The bible thumpers that get voted into office. This is why religion doesn't belong in the government.

While you are spot on about the bible thumpers being responsible for such things and the follow comments, your first sentence betrays you.

He criticized government. He didn't say anything about Obama, anything about the federal government, just "the government" He even said "I'm in a state that..." which implies he is aware it's the state government not the federal.

But you took it as an insult on the federal government....

Hmmm, makes one curious

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

openyourmind1262
They should ban the sale of any alcohol products in Drugstores as well. Alcohol kills, not just those who consume it but those of us that don't as well. I've never seen a smoker of cigarettes crash his/her car onto another because they were messed up on nicotine. Alcohol is far more dangerous of a substance than tobacco. IMHO. I smoke, and I vote. It's my choice to smoke, yea I know the pitfalls and the dangers, but be damned if I need a government agency to tell me what's right for me to do in my life. Simply put. IT"S MY LIFE. Take the alcohol sales out as well in drugstores, along with the electronics, and all the rest of the RETAIL in said DRUGSTORES. These days there far from just a drug store. Their just another retail outlet to sell you shat you don't need. A drugstore is the highest priced place to purchase cigs to start with. I guess big alcohol paid more into the coffers than big tobacco did.

Instead of getting defensive and thinking "I smoke, they wanna ban that, then lets ban alcohol! That will show them!"

Why not just stick to "it's neither the government's right or responsibility to control what I want to consume period" and leave it at that?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
Oh poor amerikans, might not be able to buy cigarettes everywhere they want, so sad, them poison sticks should be protected on the constitution. Bunch of cry babies complaining about every little thing they dont like, life isint fair, grow some ballz or what not.

I am a smoker for 25 years, where i live cigarettes are 10$ a pack, certain store cant sell them, cant smoke in parks in the summer, cant smoke close to certain areas,and nobody is complaining about it. Might be cause we have real issues to complain about.

Another spreader of misery.

You think because you life sucks everyone else should have a crappy life too.

Here's an idea, EVERYONE wants better for themselves, period. Real Ammericans have the "ballz" to actually do something about it, instead delighting in other's loss of freedoms.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
So neo your telling me that your so stuck in the left and right wing agenda that your going to defend the rights for stores to cary tobacco, that kills more than terrorism in the us every year, oh sad.

ANd try to tell us its about money, and taxes, wow so far fetched and so sad.

But like i said i love you man, you keep me on my toes

I think what neo is going to tell you is that he is above the left right paradigm and ANYONE attempting to remove freedoms from the American people will be spotlighted.

You sir are so deeply entrenched in your left vs right BS you can't even see when others are immune to it LOL

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

James1982

SaturnFX

Just to make sure, the complaint then is that people are using their right to free speech...gotcha.

The government does not have rights to free speech. If you are acting as a senator, or a president, or congressman you do not have free speech for your official capacity.

They do have free speech
It is up to us to decide if we like what they are saying on their job with votes.

You got 2 stars for a weird post suggesting politicians have no opinions on things...when it is their job to constantly spout their opinion on things. I do wonder at times what sort of people visit ATS.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You got 2 stars for a weird post suggesting politicians have no opinions on things.

Not when they get paid for their opinions,

And sure the Eff not when those OPINIONS get translated in to LAW.

Oh and they get paid in Cash,and that oh so profitable vote that keeps them in office.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

SaturnFX

James1982

SaturnFX

They do have free speech
It is up to us to decide if we like what they are saying on their job with votes.

You got 2 stars for a weird post suggesting politicians have no opinions on things...when it is their job to constantly spout their opinion on things. I do wonder at times what sort of people visit ATS.

Do you not understand the concept of "official capacity?"

Politicians are there to make policy based on the will of the people, NOT use their influence and position to effect things outside their authority. You don't seem to understand how government is supposed to run, do you? They do actually have real rules they are supposed to follow, you are just so used to them breaking the rules it seems normal to you. How sad.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

neo96

You got 2 stars for a weird post suggesting politicians have no opinions on things.

Not when they get paid for their opinions,

And sure the Eff not when those OPINIONS get translated in to LAW.

Oh and they get paid in Cash,and that oh so profitable vote that keeps them in office.

Depends on if it works for the people that vote for them
And keeping to the topic at hand, this is politicians expressing their opinion...which is their right, popular, and will damn sure win them more votes than claiming the rights of places to sell ciggies.

This thread is pointless, but more pointless are the peoples opinions here that thing to even give something a thumbs up or down on something is tyrannical. its amusing at best...because its such a simple mousetrap that they keep getting snapped in...it literally is people complaining about others having an opinion..a popular opinion at that.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Depends on if it works for the people that vote for them And keeping to the topic at hand, this is politicians expressing their opinion...which is their right, popular, and will damn sure win them more votes than claiming the rights of places to sell ciggies.

So you like mob rule then.

Of course the PROBLEM is when laws get passed based on nothing but opinion where it should never be.

We have far too much of it.

Opinions are opinions no one elses has any more importance than anyone elses.

This thread is pointless, but more pointless are the peoples opinions here that thing to even give something a thumbs up or down on something is tyrannical. its amusing at best...because its such a simple mousetrap that they keep getting snapped in...it literally is people complaining about others having an opinion..a popular opinion at that.

So why comment in it then ?

That is what politics is all about anyways.

People complaining about opinions.

edit on 10-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join