It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Confirm Fukushima Radiation in California Kelp

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Scientists analyzing kelp off the coast of San Diego confirmed the presence of cesium this week, a radioactive isotope directly linked to the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.

Part of the ongoing “Kelp Watch 2014″ project, government and academic institutions have begun receiving results from samples of Bull Kelp and Giant Kelp collected along the California coast. Despite attempts by the media to downplay the ongoing disaster, the discovery has only confirmed the continued build up of radiation in West Coast waters.

If this is true, things are getting scary, this plus the amount of mass marine deaths.

www.storyleak.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

A related thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Phage

A related thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread is stating the complete opposite to this story. This OP is stating radiation has reached US shores, whilst the other is stating is has not.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

This OP is stating radiation has reached US shores, whilst the other is stating is has not.

I know. And it provides no source for its claim. Does it?

I can't find anything about Kelp Watch finding evidence of cesium in kelp yet.

The project includes the participation of 19 academic and government institutions and three other organizations/businesses, and samplings will take place several times in 2014, with the processed samples sent to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s Low Background Facility. As the project makes progress, findings will be posted for public access.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I found this from the actual university who launched "Kelp Watch 2014" but not updated since January 2014

newscenter.lbl.gov...‘kelp-watch’-to-determine-extent-of-f ukushima-contamination/

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Seems that the author may have jumped the gun! After reading your link, but it's interesting to see from the article that the model they have predicts that something will be found in the kelp even if extremely diluted.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yes. I know.

Sampling will take place several times in 2014, and processed kelp samples will be sent to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s Low Background Facility for detailed radionuclide analysis. As data becomes available it will be posted for public access.

So. Has the sampling been done in the past couple of weeks? Have the results been released? Do the actual findings in the previously linked thread contradict those findings?

Is the article in the OP credible in the least?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yes. It will. When the "plume" reaches the west coast.
And yes, it will be very diluted. Far below risk levels.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
From OP's article:

said Dr. Matthew Edwards, a professor from San Diego State University.

Is that not a source Phage? That's a source to me.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Phage
Yes. It will. When the "plume" reaches the west coast.
And yes, it will be very diluted. Far below risk levels.

You are mistaken and so are the majority that try and discuss this subject. There is no plume. The isotopes are heavier than water and will move along the sea floor as stated by prior oceanographers. The continental shelf will also keep it from reaching our shores. We might get some but not a whole lot. So we will see elevated levels and I wouldn't want to be swimming in it. Before you or anyone else speaks in absolutes you should break out a very large chalkboard and put all the pieces together. Thus far even the PHD's have not taken that step.

No one right now knows whats going to happen.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

The isotopes are heavier than water and will move along the sea floor as stated by prior oceanographers. The continental shelf will also keep it from reaching our shores. We might get some but not a whole lot.
On the contrary. There are a number of modelling studies which show the diluted contaminants reaching the west coast. It will get there, but as you say, "not a whole lot".

scholar.google.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

However I have just found the following stories in other MSM sites;

AOL: “Just How Dangerous Is Radioactive Kelp?” — Scientists say nuclear waste in kelp beds off California coast is from Fukushima (VIDEO)
enenews.com...
Kelp off San Diego coast may contain radiation
www.sciencerecorder.com...

ABC interview with Dr Matthew Edwards 
www.youtube.com...

Seems to be something to this story

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

flammadraco

Seems that the author may have jumped the gun!

Appears that way as the source doesn't back up the sensational title.

“We’re trying to figure out how much is there and how much is getting into the ecosystem,” said Dr. Matthew Edwards, a professor from San Diego State University. “Things are linked a little more closely than sometimes we’d like to think. Just because it is on the other side of the world doesn’t mean that it doesn’t effect us.”

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Did you watch the interview?
They haven't started. There are no results yet.
On the other hand, that other thread has results.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The trace amounts of cesium they discovered are linked to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.

Read more: www.sciencerecorder.com...

Seems that some results have already come back from reading ScienceRecorder.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I went to Storyleak, it only took a second to see the type of website it is. Kinda like saying ENEnews is a source of factual news regarding Fukushima.

There has been Cesium in the kelp since before Fukushima happened. Look up the history of the Farralon Islands. Like Phage pointed out; the isotope can be traced and the cesium in the kelp is not from Fukushima.

I am far from a shill and far from defending Tepco. I am simply trying to find truths regarding he current levels. A crowdfunded study is about as impartial as one can get.....

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What I have come to realise when discussing the Fukushima disaster is the complete media blackout on the subject. 

The silence on the matter speaks volumes to me. The amount of strange mass deaths in the last twelve months is staggering. Anyone who is not connecting the dots by now is never going to.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

What about www.sciencerecorder.com... as a source?

I'm not sure anymore what's acceptable as a good source. Can we really trust the MSM as an honest source of information anymore? And then which Alternative News source is acceptable. That's why I like ATS so much as you seem to get a very good argument from both sides and then you can make a more informed descion.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Did you notice the contradiction between the article title and sub title?

Doesn't that just make you want to subscribe?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
why is ENEnews.com a bad source of info again??? last time i checked, ALL of their stories have links/sources attached to each thread/story posted. i remember when they had hardly any followers. now, that number has increased significantly and you have people trying to tarnish their credibility all of the sudden as of late. MEDIA BLACKOUT in Japan. can't do that on the internet though! haha! you can try and play damage control all you want on sites like this, the word is spreading quick and i will be part of it!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join