It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To "celebrate" Black history month, school planned on serving fried chicken, cornbread and waterme

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by duesprimusvictorimmortali

No I'd say some folks are just too dang sensitive. Nothing on here was intended as offensive. If you took it that way then I'd say you have some deep seated emotional issues to begin with.
Don't be so sensitive. Smile and enjoy life.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Pigs feet aren't just a Southern thing. My aunt and grandfather used to love 'em. We all grew up in Kansas. They called them trotters.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This thread makes me hungry as hell.
I have a slow cooked venison and sausage chili in the fridge, but there isn't much left. Throw some bread, black eyed peas and okra in there and there ya go. Two or three more meals.

That's how it goes in the South.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

duesprimusvictorimmortali
The comments on this thread show just how oblivious a lot (not all) of white people are race issues and how they are perceived when they say certain things. Many of these comments are just offensive.

I think I can understand where you are coming from, but I believe what people are trying to say is that the stereotypes placed on the black culture and community are silly because even the whitest of white people like chicken, watermelon, kool aid etc.

You could put that on a menu anywhere in the US, regardless of color, and it would be well-received. That's what I think people are trying to say....they're not trying to be racist.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I used to attend a church there that had a very mixed congregation. Whites, blacks, Hispanics, all races and types. I was in a singles class and befriended a woman there. We had the oddest friendship ever and people just laughed at us. She was a rather large black woman and I a white man. I am not a little man but there was a few hundred pound difference between us. I mention her weight for a point. We were great friends. We never dated or were intimate, just great friends.
Here's the funny part.... She drove a white Chevy Z71 with all country stations on her radio presets. She cooked Italian and Greek and German food all the time. She talked like a southern Belle. I had a truck also but my presets were to Rock and R&B stations. I cooked all southern country food. Country Fried Steak, fried chicken, turnip greens, mac & cheese, corn bread, black eyed peas, etc. She counted calories and used gluten free pasta and I used hog jowels and ham fat in my beans. We were opposite in every way but we got along famously. She always joked that I should have been born black and she should have been born white. LOLOLOL

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I don't think the fried chicken and cornbread was too offensive, but the watermelon could be viewed as such.

Watermelons have been viewed as a major symbol in the iconography of racism in the United States[2] since as early as the nineteenth century.[3] The truthfulness of this stereotype has been questioned; one survey conducted from 1994 to 1996 showed that African Americans, at the time 12.5 percent of the country's population, only accounted for 11.1 percent of the United States' watermelon consumption.[4]
While the exact origins of this stereotype remain unclear,[5][better source needed] an association of African Americans and watermelon goes back to the time of slavery in the United States. Defenders of slavery used the fruit to paint African Americans as a simple-minded people who were happy when provided watermelon and a little rest.[6] The stereotype was perpetuated in minstrel shows often depicting African Americans as ignorant and workshy, given to song and dance and inordinately fond of watermelon.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I have some great northern beans in the crock pot with jowels, onion, and pepper, and cornbread in the oven. Gonna BBQ some chicken here in a bit in the smoker. Got this new BBQ sauce that Guy Fierri put out. LOL

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I know it isn't intended as offensive that's why you are so oblivious to how offensive it actually is. At this point in time I can't tell if its ignorance or stupidity but at some point people should realize how what they say and do effects people. It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. It that they decided this was for black people.

My entire culture is a deep seated emotional issue.
edit on 7-2-2014 by duesprimusvictorimmortali because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The ghetto Olympics sounds like something from Saturday night live.
How did anybody look at that menu and not see a problem? Fricken idiots.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Look, if this thread had spontaneously started up and been about food. You wouldn't have had an issue. All of these foods are legitimate foods that people of all walks of life eat.

The only reason you think it's a race deal is because of the item that sparked the discussion.

And now you're calling us all racist because we're reminiscing about foods we like and enjoy.

Can we not now like fried chicken, greens, black-eyed peas, fried catfish, pigs' feet, okra, cornbread, chitlins, grits, watermelon, or any other items of soul food because they are associated by some as traditionally eaten by African-Americans, and thus, if we eat them, not being African-American ourselves, we are somehow being racist?

Do you realize how ridiculous that implication is?

All of these are items on the traditional Southern menu, and you can have them when you pry them out of my husband's cold, dead, Southern fingers, but then, maybe he would get a pass from you for being part Native American ...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You missed my entire post. I grew up in Memphis TN. Over a million people and the city is now 60% black. I know fully well about racism. I have been hated by black people as well as whites but I do not think in those terms. I honestly can tell you that if you found this issue to be racist then you my friend are racist. If you look for racism then that is all you will find.
Like I said a very large amount of restaurants in Memphis are Soul food restaurants. They primarily serve fried chicken, greens, and yes even watermelon. If they serve it as a staple in their restaurants then what is wrong with serving it in honor of them ? I can tell you this from my heart..... I am much more comfortable in one of those Soul food places than I ever have been at Red Lobster or Scampis or any place like that. Great food, great people, and a great time. Everybody smiles and has a great time.
edit on 7-2-2014 by Christian Voice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

I have no idea what a Ghetto Olympics is supposed to be, but it reminded me of this:

Which of course means we would never have one because unlike the British, we are far too PC to ever laugh at ourselves or poke fun at anything that has to do with American culture ... unless we did a WASP Olympics. Those would be just fine.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What do they serve for Cinco De Mayo?

2nd

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. Its that they decided this was for black people.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71

Well, if they went online and researched Soul Food and pulled the menu from there ... then maybe not, especially if they really weren't operating from a place of racial animus but one of racial innocence, you know one of MLK's vision.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Although I eat all these things, this is American as apple pie and hot dogs.
I can't see why it would be an insult to introduce AA cuisine, what ever that is, to others,

In our town once a year we have a ethnic festival which is just that, foods cooked by the different cultures in our community..

WTF?
edit on 112828p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

The thing is that in the non-coastal Southern climates, like here in Arkansas for example, watermelon is a very easy fruit to grow. Apples, cherries, and a few others can also be grown, but Tue watermelon is a hearty fruit that grows easily and feeds a lot of folks.
Again, people of all sorts eat it here and, at least in my part of the world, it isn't associated with race at all. I LOVE watermelon, especially with salt. Mmmm

Sure, in the days of slavery and even up in to modern times people acted racist, but believe it or not those ideals ARE dying. Even here in places like Arkansas. My generation was the first one around these parts to shun bigotry by and large.

Its dumb.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

duesprimusvictorimmortali
reply to post by ketsuko

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. It that they decided this was for black people.

Like the one poster said, this is soul food. If they researched Soul Food ... this might be what they got.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. Its that they decided this was for black people.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

sheepslayer247
This is what happens when idiots try to pander to a politically-correct agenda or ideology.

How about we toss "black-history month" out the window and simply observe history as humans...black, white or whatever?

Good idea why not as I posted earlier, have a day once a year at school and everyone celebrate their heritage, don't people from other countries deserve a day at least?
edit on 112828p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join