It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most powerful PORTABLE LASER weapon ever created ? Game changer ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
There has always been problems with beam dispersant due to (rain and fog) atmospheric conditions; not to mention power supply and bulk of previous systems.. Evidently this system has over come some of the limitations with regards to bulk and power supply ?

The process, called Spectral Beam Combining, sends beams from multiple fiber laser modules, each with a unique wavelength, into a combiner that forms a single, powerful, high quality beam.

'Lockheed Martin has opened the aperture for high power, electrically driven laser systems suitable for military applications,' said Dr. Ray O. Johnson, senior vice president and chief technology officer of Lockheed Martin.

'Advancements in available laser components, along with the maturity and quality of our innovative beam-combining technology, support our goal of providing lightweight and rugged laser weapon systems for use on military platforms such as aircraft, helicopters, ships and trucks.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

This video shows the big bulky laser in action shooting down a missile.... Something we are used to seeing in a demo. This maybe something sorely needed if the hypersonic weapon systems are eventually deployed.by enemy combatants.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Poor birds. I suppose it is a viable weapon technology for hunting birds.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... the hypersonic missile being deployed is discussed.. The following video is from CNN and the hypersonic missiles capability.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

rickymouse

Not only birds but anything (satellites or aircraft) that transverses the beam could be fried..

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Pretty cool, I think that it's a step in the right direstion. But I'm still wondering what the actual range of such a weapon is. I've heard and read Line of Sight (LOS), but all the demo videos I've seen shows that target not that far away. 1.5 km in the video you posted for instance.

And I still don't trust the tech to handle all the enviroments that militaries operate in. Of course I think that this should only be used as a defensive weapon. Right now, it's still years, if not decades away from being anything else.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I can sort of imagine a new generation of flying fortresses with this. I imagine we will see these in the navy first.

I think I have seen this in action against mortars posted on here before. This is definitely cool technology it would be deadly scary in the wrong hands against something like an airliner. Thing is I am on the fence if any hands are the right hands.

If used properly ( as in the approved way ) a missile shield could become reality. Of course shielding rockets would require laser strength to be increased but most rocket hulls are relatively thin because of weight restrictions and flight time and payload any increase in thickness would greatly influence the rockets ability. To defend against lasers would require complete redesigns.

Otherwise, this is just cool.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I'm going to delete my prior comments in this posting because I've looked at the video about a dozen times and it can go either way, birds that move very swiftly or funny business. I really don't care which.

I frequently see passenger planes on their approach to ABIA and our local buzzards if not eagles at a lower altitude in perspectively close association. But in this video, I don't think the birds move that fast given that as buzzards/eagles they still would be some distance away from the camera.
edit on 4-2-2014 by Aliensun because: changed content

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

rickymouse

You can kill and cook the bird at the same time. Double Duty Laser

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Old news. You think that's something, read this...cheniere.org... This was years ago!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

That thing is cool, wonder when they will be man portable as opposed to the size of a horse box?

Still very impressive, I wonder what it would do to living tissue? Nothing very pleasant i imagine!

edit on 4-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Aliensun
reply to post by 727Sky

At 57 seconds into the video, as the rocket is being painted with the ray, two objects come from the screen left in a horizontal motion and one loops up around the rocket. Can anybody say what that is. Since the rocket is on a fairly straight path, we can't blame camera pan on that apparent drastic change in course of the object.

No one can say for sure but its definitely aliens. The video has it labeled birds but thats just a psyop cover up, my uncle works for lockheed and he told me the stories man.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Do you not think "They" would have tried to shoot them down with this beast?

After all it seems capable of doing just that!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

andy06shake

Do you not think "They" would have tried to shoot them down with this beast?

After all it seems capable of doing just that!

No they are friends with the military, how do you think we got the lasers and rockets in the first place, duhhh. Some people, sheesh.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

ImaFungi

Aliensun
reply to post by 727Sky

At 57 seconds into the video, as the rocket is being painted with the ray, two objects come from the screen left in a horizontal motion and one loops up around the rocket. Can anybody say what that is. Since the rocket is on a fairly straight path, we can't blame camera pan on that apparent drastic change in course of the object.

No one can say for sure but its definitely aliens. The video has it labeled birds but thats just a psyop cover up, my uncle works for lockheed and he told me the stories man.

That explosion was caused by the corrosive effect of the bird poop. The birds did this. Based on the color of the spot there could have been some egg throwing going on...Maybe Bieber was there working with the birds..

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Sorry but I don't think the Military industrial complex are friends with anybody, extraterrestrial or otherwise!

And human beings are quite capable of inventing rockets and laser technology all by themselves no need for any alien help there.

As to how we acquired shall we say our more exotic technologies, I imagine that had something to do with luck and high frequency radar beams.

edit on 4-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

rickymouse

They don't stand a chance. Think how the wind won't matter. With precision infrared optics, you can see through fog and bad weather too.

This one does 25-50 damage and uses microfusion cells:
fallout.wikia.com - Laser rifle...
edit on 4-2-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

rickymouse

ImaFungi

Aliensun
reply to post by 727Sky

That explosion was caused by the corrosive effect of the bird poop. The birds did this. Based on the color of the spot there could have been some egg throwing going on...Maybe Bieber was there working with the birds..

Bieber is pretty caustic so you might have a point there. I wish they had of sent him somewhere other Canada, now we are going to have problems with flying objects. All kidding aside, RCA out of Kanata near Ottawa was making Class IV heterojunction semiconductor lasers in the early 1980's. They were 1080 watts peak radiant flux, operated at 400v@25amps, were about an inch in diameter and had a duty cycle time of about 2-5%. By applying cryogenic cooling through rapid response heat shields, you could get the duty cycle up well over 50%. In addition, if you combined a 1000 or more of these into an array with magnetic focusing and coupling, you could produce ring lasers with a peak radiant flux in the area of 3 to 10 million watts. The technology has been around since the 80's, they are just slowly bleeding the information out now. If you get the chance/opportunity to look at the underside of the stern of Air Force One and they are cleaning "the beast" you'll know what I mean.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If they are effective against the drones flying over America, I'd like to get one for my house.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

When they start making one man portable laser platforms, that will be the day I pay attention to laser weapons. Until then, it will always be some tedious box on wheels with a big old battery.

Cool none the less, but yeah. Proper man portability, or nothing for me thanks!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by 727Sky

When they start making one man portable laser platforms, that will be the day I pay attention to laser weapons. Until then, it will always be some tedious box on wheels with a big old battery.

Cool none the less, but yeah. Proper man portability, or nothing for me thanks!

Amazing what some people have made... Balloon people shake in fear!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join