It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Outraged at Multicultural Coca Cola Superbowl Ad - Racist?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

In a multi culural melting pot, where people come from different belief systems and different backgrounds with different cultural experiences, it is sometimes language that is the ONLY commonality, that, and the desire for freedom.

They don't really have to communicate with anyone outside their own linguistic stock, they can have closed communities.

However, if they want to enter the wider world of the United States they have to be able to communicate, and the best way of communication is through a common language. Here the common language is English. And to be honest, if people want closed communities that's fine, but it is an obvious "we want nothing to do with you people" thought process.

Which, again is fine, but if your going to have that thought process, why the hell come here in the first place?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
, and the desire for freedom.

Poor people came to the wrong place then.

Violations

Warrentless searches

Detention without trial

toture camps

Do I even need to post a link about out of control spying? And Im sure the Native american have a whole list of American "freedoms" they have enjoyed like the Freedom to be forcefully removed from there lands. And Black Americans had some really nice experiances in freedom too.

Yeah USA land of the free my British arse.

edit on 5-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

There are still pockets of resistance.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

beezzer

I honnestly think you need to try succedeing again. Id even run arms and supplys for you rebels

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

crazyewok

Logarock
I
And if thousands or non whites and whites had to learn English at some point when they came here then the rest can just as well do the same. Stop crying like little babies some of you.

The point is Coca cola is a private company that used private funds to advertise on a private TV channel.

There is NO ISSUE.

Its not about how everyone should learn to speak english. I dont know why it is. ITS A FREAKING TV AD!
Its not like the US goverment had demanded all children sing the US athem in spanish, you may have a point if it was, but no its a FREAKING SONG IN A TV AD!.

Right I and others have said as much. I was addressing the other types that really just want to English and white bash.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

crazyewok

beezzer

I honnestly think you need to try succedeing again. Id even run arms and supplys for you rebels

(beezzer puts crazyewok on speed dial)

It's not easy seeing the changes, cultural and otherwise here in America.

People are getting bent on such silly issues, but I do see it as a symptom of a much larger concern.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

They don't really have to communicate with anyone outside their own linguistic stock, they can have closed communities.

I grew up in a neighborhood like that, there were sections of town that immigrants formed small communities, the Italian section still has many Italians, although they are just the descendents now.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

crazyewok

Do I even need to post a link about out of control spying? And Im sure the Native american have a whole list of American "freedoms" they have enjoyed like the Freedom to be forcefully removed from there lands. And Black Americans had some really nice experiances in freedom too.

Wow wok I thought you said this was just about a tv soda pop commercial?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
And what about the Irish, remember the Irish immigrants they were enslaved.
the largest group of slaves in the "British" Colonies

edit on 072828p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Logarock

crazyewok

O it is.

I just get annoyed when people start banding around that whole "land of the free" mumbo jumbo when the USA crap stinks are badly as the rest of the world. Ok its not North Korea but it aint white as white thats for sure

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
And what about the Irish, remember the Irish immigrants they were enslaved.
the largest group of slaves in the "British" Colonies

edit on 072828p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

A consequence of the English Civil War.
The Irish fought on the wrong side.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

crazyewok

Logarock

crazyewok

O it is.

I just get annoyed when people start banding around that whole "land of the free" mumbo jumbo when the USA crap stinks are badly as the rest of the world. Ok its not North Korea but it aint white as white thats for sure

So its safe to assume that you see speaking English in a race context? Well all us white boys aren't English or Saxon.

Anyway, its also just a gas to see folks coming over here these days, after the country has something to offer, all the hard work is done......wayyyyy past the era of steam and black powder and cash in or out at some point and take their earnings back wherever.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Logarock

So its safe to assume that you see speaking English in a race context? Well all us white boys aren't English or Saxon.

No I never said that.

All I see is petty people getting het up over a private compnay useing private funds to put on private TV a add.

If Obama decreed people have to learn your athem in spanish I would understand. But not over a pointless ad.

My rant about land of free being a lie was unrelated.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's not easy seeing the changes, cultural and otherwise here in America.

It has always been that way.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Unlike European countries who have their own cultures, ethnicity, and languages, the United states has always had the mantra of accepting all.

I don't think Europe should embrace multiculturalism as most understand the term because it already is multicultural. Tell a French person their culture is the same as a Pole's and you'll get a funny look, and possibly a smack in the face. Kind of like most countries in the world. Most country's laws, outlooks, language,morality, etc. etc. is based on a rather homogenous ethnic group of people. It's natural, I get that. When people tell me about "diversity" in the UK and the importation of east Africans who don't integrate and explaining it away by saying the UK has been multiculti it's whole history, I have to disagree. The UK had Roman, Angles, Saxons, Viking, and Norman invaders. The Romans were more or less occupiers, the Angles, Saxons, Vikings, and Normans, ethnically are extremely similar people. Hell, the Normans were just vikings that adopted French language and culture. From 1066 to 1966, so 900 years, you have relative ethnic, cultural, linguistic homogeneity within each of the realms of the kingdom. The country is only what it is today because it had that time to forge it's own identity as a relatively homogenous society, the apex of which was in the 1400s when the finally shed themselves of their Frenchness in the 100 years war. Multiculturalism is fine in some circumstances, but if there is an agenda behind it, then it is usually sinister, I will explain later.

The US, unlike most countries, was designed from the get-go to be a melting pot of nations. Anyone who thinks the US was founded on christian principles in any sense other than the original inhabitants of the country were nominally christian doesn't really know their history. As my history professor in college once said, "Demographics is destiny". The history of the world, for the most part, has been the changing demographics of humanity, and as a result, most things political, economic, or of major consequence have been incidental to this. However, as a melting pot, there are limits. The limit comes in when it is recognized, either by its own self or externally, that the changing demographics results in the host, current, whatever, society starting to become less competitive with other societies. And you're seeing that in the US today. If someone can tell me with a straight face that the US is more competitive from an economic, educational, anything standpoint than it was 20 years ago, I'd like to see. So why the change? Demographics is destiny.

What makes most countries different is the way their societies function. Their societal systems are different mixes of various components. Ethnic, linguistic, economic, political, educational, customs, culture, outlook, etc. etc. Some combinations are arguably more successful than others. It is fairly quantifiable. Societies where bribery is culturally accepted tend to be less successful than countries that don't accept bribery. Likewise, economies where prices are haggled for by buyers tend to be less successful than economies where prices set by sellers are accepted. Since the US is a big mixture of various people, one of the major drivers of its culture and societal mix is its own constitution. You'll notices that in the 20th century, the US was its most successful when the country had a relatively unified outlook and homogenous culture. That's the trick of it all. The melting pot does not mean each component remains itself after getting into the pot. It melts to become part of the rest.

Right now, immigration is at a rate that doesn't allow timely assimilation and you have disunion. It's like adding too many onions to the soup without adding other ingredients to balance it out. And here's where the sinister comes in. Multiculturalism if left unchecked and not at the discretion of the host society eventually destroys said society. This is not theory, it has happened over and over and over again in history. Make a nation turn its back on the societal mix that made it successful or dilute its societal mix to the point where it isn't the successful mix it once was anymore and said society becomes crippled, balkanized, and eventually destroyed.

The example that I want to use is the Ukraine. In the 1920s and 30s, so right after the October Revolution and Russian Civil war, Ukraine was a fairly nationalistic country who's people were tired of living as vassals to the Russians and wanted to be a self determining society. They wanted to see if they had what it takes to be a successful country. Leon Trotsky, one of the head honchos of the new Bolshevik regime in Russia had a plan for the Ukraine. He invented the word racism. That's right, that word didn't exist in the world until 1930. The point of the word was two fold. One was to balkanize everyone in the world in time and bring about a worldwide workers revolution in time. Two was specifically for Ukraine. To destroy the sense of nationality and prevent independence as Ukraine's food production was vital to preventing the starvation of Russia, the Bolshevik chekists would deport any overtly nationalistic Ukrainians to the gulag work camps. Then to maintain the food production would import Tatars and Khazars in their place. Any Ukrainians who voiced outrage were psychologically squashed by being called racist for not accepting the diversity of the workers revolution. In the span of 10 years, you have a population go from 95%+ Ukrainian ethnicity, culture, outlook, to ~70% Ukrainian ethnicity,culture, outlook. The ability for the Ukrainians to act with self determination was squashed in a decade because of agenda backed immigration. The opposition were called racists and shamed, despite having their societal mix undermined for the worse. There was now a very sizable minority that wasn't Ukrainian, neither ethnically or culturally and wouldn't go along with them if they fought for independence from Bolshevik Russia.

The US doesn't require ethnic homogeneity to work, but it does require cultural and outlook homogeneity to work. Something we have less and less of right now. I don't care how ethnically diverse or culturally diverse the US is as long as people recognize and preserve the societal mix that made the US so successful.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

retiredTxn

crazyewok

Itsa song, paid for by a private company with private funds.......

Many people speak a 2nd language deal with it.

Anyway last i checked the first amendment covered freedom of speach in all languages.
edit on 4-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

I just expressed MY OPINION, which is covered under the 1st Amendment. Didn't say anything that should rattle yours or anyone else's cage, especially since the 1st Amendment applies to you HOW? I respected others freedoms, and expressed an opinion, that's all. Maybe I'm not the one who should learn to deal with it?

You have no 1st amendment rights in this forum. Read the T&C it states guidelines as to what you can and cannot talk about if those rights existed here then a T&C wouldn't be needed. Also this forum is international and the 1st amendment only works within the boundaries of America.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is, without a doubt, the most made up non-issue ever contrived.

People are getting angry and upset because Coca Cola, a multi-national brand mind you, had a commercial that had people singing a song in different languages? Really?

You do realize that America-or the United States of America-as it's sometimes called, is the worlds melting pot? We have a history of Immigration. We're all Immigrants or the sons of Immigrants, unless you're native American. These native Americans, by the way, spoke a different language before we arrived. You also realize that English was um.. let's see...a language from England and not America?

Good lord. Way to go Coke for reminding us that we do accept people from all over the world into our country. Thank you for reminding us that many of them don't speak English upon first arriving and that we're all part of the World Population, not just America.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Just because the free handouts have made people want to give up their rights so they can continue to get handouts means nothing and would be another topic entirely.

When my mother came to this country it was still a free country. What people have done since to ruin it is neither here nor there, and has no relevance in this thread whatsoever.

If you cannot stand someone to love their country that is your problem, not mine, and has nothing to do with whether or not immigrants should speak English when trying to live in an English speaking country.

PS. I still prefer to live here than Beirut..If you disagree then you can always move to Beirut. but this is neither here nor there either

I love America, and I am happy to have grown up here, it is a blessing. So, I am so not super upset that this "annoys" you. Too bad you did not get to grow up in a country you loved. You might be a happier individual, with the ability to stay on topic.
edit on 5-2-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

crazyewok

Logarock

All I see is petty people getting het up over a private compnay useing private funds to put on private TV a add.

Petty? I don't think the ability to discuss our feelings on this topic as "petty".

Its an important topic actually, one which effects all of us, some 300 million people.

A topic which effects us all, in a venue that allows people to say what they really feel, and discuss such feelings openly, and relate to others with differing feelings, can never be "petty" If we had more of these national types of conversations on a variety of topics it would only be to our betterment.

Of course, coming from someone who berates Americans who speak well of their country, I suppose I can't expect more.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

OpinionatedB

crazyewok

Logarock

Petty? I don't think the ability to discuss our feelings on this topic as "petty".

Its an important topic actually, one which effects all of us, some 300 million people.

A topic which effects us all, in a venue that allows people to say what they really feel, and discuss such feelings openly, and relate to others with differing feelings, can never be "petty" If we had more of these national types of conversations on a variety of topics it would only be to our betterment.

Of course, coming from someone who berates Americans who speak well of their country, I suppose I can't expect more.

That's just it this is rather petty. Coke having an ad in different languages in no way affects America and the only reason why it would affect people is because they want to let it affect them. You can go into many cities in America and hear numerous languages being spoken by American citizens and that is their right. Just because you are an American in no way means you have to speak English granted it would be easier for the person to speak English but it isn't necessary. And the reaction that people had to the ad is what really speaks ill of America because it shows they don't embrace what America really is and that is a melting pot of people from different languages and nationalities and that is what made America strong. When you deny this you weaken America and what it stands for.
edit on 5-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join