It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Outraged at Multicultural Coca Cola Superbowl Ad - Racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I'll link an atricle that has a large collection of negative comments, which include a slew of remarks calling certain languages "terrorist languages", people simply aggravated that the song isn't sung in English, and people upset that there is any race other than white being displayed at all. Some of the language is rather vulgar; fair warning:

Source

First of all, I would like to point out that America has no official language, so people getting sensational about it based on those grounds are simply being ridiculous.

Secondly, I would like to point out that most of these people who are outraged that English isn't being used can barely even speak their own language themselves.

Lastly, I am really taken aback by people who still go on about "terrorists" in this way; as if "terrorism" is tied to a certain race/creed/language.

So, what do you guys think? Is this racism, nationalism, stupidity, or patriotism?
edit on 3-2-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

America a place full of different races creeds and languages, It was founded to be a place for all but many have forgotten this and have turned into the people their forefathers fought against.
I see no problem with the ad at all and I also am sickened by the small minded idiots who make such uneducated comments.
Shame on them.
The answer? better education of the young and hope they don't carry on their parents views.

+30 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The one and only negative thing about this ad is that it's pushing addictive sugar water on people in as many languages as possible.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

Not all Americans, just a small fraction of idiots who don't understand that the US is a melting pot...

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In answer, its just stupidity.

Im an American and I dont know any Americans who gave a damn about it, and I know a lot of Americans. Then again, I dont hang out with dumbasses....

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The only thing I don't like is the implication that "Hey we love your country so much we came here, but ... yeah, not that much. We demand that you do everything in our language ..."

It's great that immigrants come here, but if we cannot put ourselves into one dominant overall culture and speak one dominant language, then we are further divided and weakened as a people.

A house divided against itself cannot stand, nor can those peoples trust one another if they cannot even communicate.

Did none of you learn the story of the Tower of Babel?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
To be totally honest, I was angry at first. I saw the commercial. I was pissed. America the beautiful sung in Spanish.

Then I realized I think the first non-english verse was Navajo...maybe I was wrong.

But heres my thoughts,

My first thought was they are singing a commercial in Spanish... I was pissed.

I will explain if you want to know why but i just was

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Brilliant marketing on Coke's part IMO. A single commercial and people cant stop talking about it. They did nothing wrong, but knew it would stir up controversy so they used it to their advantage.

People will be talking about this for weeks all the while giving Coke free publicity.

Brilliant

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

what about music? can't we appreciate other types of music and respect it for being music?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

ketsuko
The only thing I don't like is the implication that "Hey we love your country so much we came here, but ... yeah, not that much. We demand that you do everything in our language ..."

It's great that immigrants come here, but if we cannot put ourselves into one dominant overall culture and speak one dominant language, then we are further divided and weakened as a people.

I'm not sure how that applies to a corporation fronting an advertisement that includes multiple languages. It's not exactly an implication of the destruction of America. And really, saying "they come to our country"... whose country? America is for everyone, not just the English-speaking white folk who were, by mere chance, born in America.

Did none of you learn the story of the Tower of Babel?

Fiction is not an adequate citing as evidence of anything.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Aleister
The one and only negative thing about this ad is that it's pushing addictive sugar water on people in as many languages as possible.

There's water in that sugar?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
yes, america, it should all be sung in sioux, apache, comanche, hopi...

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I didn't like the commercial, but it's more because the internet and society have fueled a touch of the ADD in me; any commercial longer than 30 seconds feels like a Half-hour infomercial without all the hilarious black and white film hapless idiots spilling a glass of wine onto 23 square feet of carpet or trying to slice bread with door stops.

Without something of an amusing premise, minute long commercials are torture.
edit on 2/3/2014 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Thats fricken hilarious.

My brother and I just watched the ads on Hulu, and we saw that one broke out laughing because and Ill quote him.

"how long before the retard outrage?"

And sure enough, America is a melting pot, anyone upset by this should remember this,

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

ETA:

If you want to get mad, watch this

www.maserati.us...

And understand one thing, and keep this in mind, Maserati is an Italian company bringing a product to the american market, AND LISTEN TO THE WORDS OF THE COMERCIAL, From the perspective of an Italian Company telling it to an american audience.
edit on 3-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

taoistguy
yes, america, it should all be sung in sioux, apache, comanche, hopi...

No it shouldnt.
Im siksika.. piegan blackfeet. America is not NDN. NDNs can be Americans though.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

dunno what ndn is, but you get my point.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

taoistguy
reply to post by ketsuko

what about music? can't we appreciate other types of music and respect it for being music?

"America the Beautiful" was written in English. If listen to banda, norteno or tejano, I am not expecting them to be translated into English for me because they are not primarily English musical styles, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it all the same. The same with Wagner or an Italian opera. Do you expect them to be translated into English for you?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just re-read the title of the thread. Im pretty sure we Americans were not "outraged". Did we riot over it? did we kill anybody over it ?

NOPE

Good thing us Americans will not use a commercial for justification to blow up children shopping at markets. I'm not saying anything or anybody, read it into what you want

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

taoistguy
reply to post by Advantage

dunno what ndn is, but you get my point.

Indian = NDN... you wouldnt get it, its an Indian Pride thing...

Nope. it really shouldnt. America and the song has nothing to do with any of the Nations. It only has to do with the US of A. I know what you mean.. I just disagree.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

well, the bible, harry potter and other books have been translated into many languages. i've heard other songs likewise translated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join