It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific Facts In The Bible

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i could argue it, but it wouldn't help. it seems reasonably simple enough.
complicating the matter won't get us anywhere

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Yes. By definition of finite.
having limits or bounds

If it has limits or bounds it can be measured...given the proper tools.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
When I started posting in this thread it was about scientific principles present in the Bible. I believe that some of the things posted here have provided convincing evidence of such. I appreciate a good argument as much as anyone else. I can also appreciate many opposing viewpoints. I do not confine myself to learn in only one area. In fact, the Book of Proverbs speaks of seeking for wisdom in all things. This is what I enjoy. If one feels that is a call to attack me or my beliefs, than so be it. It seems contradictory to their own intelligence. Kind of like when people call christians intolerant, and shun them, missing entirely that they are being shunned for the same reason that called you to shun them in the first place. If it sounds like it doesn't make sense, it's because it doesn't. Should we shun intolerance intolerantly? Is this paradox evident? Find your wisdom where you find it. I have found mine it the most life affirming of places.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pleasethink

don't worry man, i know you mean well too, i was just trying to give some friendly advice.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Thank you for your hospitality.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

my pleasure.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Seeing how the first 5 books of the Bible are credited to have been written by Moses, who supposedly was educated by the Egyptians, one would expect there to some scientifically valid things in there. After all, the Egyptians, who built the pyramids, seem to have know about PI, the circumference of our planet and many other unexpected things. The Babylonians, who held the Jews captive, knew about the planets and their paths, even that Saturn had rings!

However, for me believe that the Bible is the word of God, I would have hoped for a little more helpful info, like vaccines and viruses, germs and drugs, DNA etc.

edit on 1-2-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Jarring

you have to understand that a lot of the arguments against religion sound like they suggest that existence is completely random. I know that's not what you believe, but from a Religious standpoint, when you suddenly remove the idea of a creator, it suggests the random occurrence of existence.

A lot of people would have to completely abandon years of religious learning/teaching, THEN find purpose elsewhere. Not everyone is prepared or willing to do such a thing, although there are some who can understand others perceptions while holding true to their own values without any fear of abandonment.

Who created your god? Why is it logical for him to just "magically" pop into existence, but nothing else can?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

The book of Job is actually one of the most scientific books and is thought to predate Solomon and Moses.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

this question was brought up several times in this thread. ~.~;

if I had a nickle..

/shrug

i think what i remember saying is that first off, no one else created God

and the only thing to "exist" per se, was His Will

I could be wrong, it's just how i've come to think of it personally.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

worshiping something they see and coming up with stories about those things is not the same as coming up with an all powerful God in another dimension.....another dimension....another dimension....that created all things from nothing.

But I get your point

Just telling you what the head of brain research at MIT said....nothing more.
edit on 1-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

it wasn't always things they see though. When someone was sick they made stories of spirits that made them sick. They didn't know viruses existed, so it must have been their ancestors and other dimensional beings who where angry at them. Look at schizophrenia as well. They didn't know it was a mental illness, if you where seeing things that aren't there you must be tuned into the spirit world.

edit on 1-2-2014 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

pleasethink
The last time I looked at the moon it was pretty durn bright. A lightbulb isn't a light, either. It's a lightbulb. Also a flashlight is a flashlight. Just because it gives off massive amounts of light, it is not a light. It is paradoxical, and is ridiculous that I have to point this out to you.

You should explain that to those who wrote that moon is source of light, not me. Could it be, perhaps, that those who were writing bible had no clue what really moon was?

pleasethink
Also Richard Dawkins quote is available online.
www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com...

Have you even seen video you posted?? You have to be well delusional or unable to comprehend what Dawkins explained in the video. It basically comes to - who created creator argument.

You can read Richard review here, and later he got a bit more unfriendly as he choose more careful words to express him self in order for delusional people not to make wrong conclusions.

Reason it is hard to talk about science in bible is simple, as I already have said - and as Father George has said - there is none.

Thank God, I am believer now... or should I say - thank you Sam!

edit on 1-2-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

the moon waxes and wanes, i'm sure people can connect the dots, the Bible is understood rhetorically all the time.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Jarring
the moon waxes and wanes, i'm sure people can connect the dots, the Bible is understood rhetorically all the time.

It is very hard to know when you should read Bible literally and when not...

For me it is at least easy, it is on bookshelf with other horror fiction books, far away from children. (I am not kidding
)

BTW, here is bible itself:

"God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

Shouldn't be - God created great lights (sun and other stars) and moon to provide a bit more than light reflection for living things on earth...

A bit joke... (it is rated R, sorry
)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

SuperFrog

Jarring

It is very hard to know when you should read Bible literally and when not...

For me it is at least easy, it is on bookshelf with other horror fiction books, far away from children. (I am not kidding
)

BTW, here is bible itself:

"God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

Shouldn't be - God created great lights (sun and other stars) and moon to provide a bit more than light reflection for living things on earth...

A bit joke... (it is rated R, sorry
)

you have to be willing to understand its reasoning.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

the moon IS the source of light at night. If it wasn't there to reflect the suns light because it just happens to be in the right position and made of a very reflective coating then we wouldn't have light at night.

My dad has solar panels for electricity. If you ask him how he heats his place.....he will say "solar panels".....he would not say the Sun even though, like the moons "light".....the Sun is where it is coming from ultimately.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i watched some of that video, he's pretty funny.
the only point i felt like talking about was that I don't think Adam and Eve were the only humans God created. It just seems implausible that we all come directly from that same bloodline. It's possible we're all related, but not directly from Adam and Eve. There was definitely a third head, or many.
I know it is said that Lilith was created before Eve...as an equal.
I've gone over it in my head and it doesn't seem logical to have just one family tree.
I'm sure there's mention of it somewhere in the Bible...it does keep record of family trees in the Bible, but I don't think it completely fails at mentioning the rest of humanity.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i take rhetoric to another level when it comes to the Bible, mostly due to the mind-boggling changes language has gone through over the years. I can only guess the meanings of words changed just as their intentions have.

like,for instance, in my book, lie and slave are synonyms, although their intentions changed, they refer to the same problem.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Reflecting light is not the same as source of light. Please do you think that snow is source of light or reflection of light during winter? So, does your father solar panel works during night / full moon?

reply to post by Jarring

Only Lilith I know was vampire, and always was naked...
(hint for those who did not follow - True Blood
)

As for first humans, millions of years of evolution and then something very similar to intro of 2001: A Space Odyssey... from there we have more records how it went...

For those interested to see how little different we are from our relatives... please watch Chimpanzee. Great narration by Tim Allen.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
"If I'm lying, send me to the quarries"

Two go hand-in-hand, the only difference is the intentions of how the words are used.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join