It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting homelessness by giving homeless people houses

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

purplemer
reply to post by opethPA

Why would you want to exert such conditions on people. In doing so you are forcing them to accept your values in life. Not everyone is the same and there are those that evidently cannot cope with the conditions that are set upon them by society.

I would suggest that if society were going to provide people with food and shelter then society would have a right and a vested interest in providing conditions so that their effort to get these people independent as possible again would not be in vain. Why should the taxes of hardworking citizens go to support someone if they don't even want to try to clean up their act and better themselves? Certainly simple conditions like staying clean and sober (or at least going into treatment) should be a part of such a program. The goal is to help people, not to enable their won self destructive tendencies.
edit on 27-1-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by purplemer

I see this as a tentative good idea on a small scale.

But tackle the homeless in New York, Chicago, L.A. with the same program?

It'd be a nightmare. And with housing at a premium in many locations, I could envision people deliberately going homeless just to enjoy this type of program.

Either way, it's nice to read a story about something good coming from taxes.

Build them small houses. Single homeless people do not need a two or three bedroom house with multiple bathrooms or multi- story houses. They just need to get off the street.

Small Houses

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

groingrinder

beezzer

I see this as a tentative good idea on a small scale.

But tackle the homeless in New York, Chicago, L.A. with the same program?

It'd be a nightmare. And with housing at a premium in many locations, I could envision people deliberately going homeless just to enjoy this type of program.

Either way, it's nice to read a story about something good coming from taxes.

Build them small houses. Single homeless people do not need a two or three bedroom house with multiple bathrooms or multi- story houses. They just need to get off the street.

Small Houses

Multiple room houses could be used as communal housing or for families. Someone even suggested apartment buildings. There are solutions to the problem and this thread has demonstrated it can be tackled without the political fighting that you see on here constantly. It could even be possible for these cities to use eminent domain to seize vacant houses in deteriorating neighborhoods to revitalize them. Providing both housing for the homeless and teaching them skilled trades in repairing them. It all comes down to are we willing to come up with a plan that addresses peoples concerns.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Another_Nut
] Another_Nut
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Society will not help you get back on your feet

Especially if you are a drug free male

If you care to peruse this thread you will find a few instances of kindness to people in my position

None by our government

But by individuals who care

There is no social contract eta

Owl done forget to pickup a 7gallon water container from walmart

12 bucks and can be heated in the sun
edit on 26-1-2014 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

I used multiple gallons. It was winter. Easier to refill in public without drawing suspicion. Especially when most outdoor facilities have their water shut off for winter.
Water was warm enough...it was just cold outside

If one finds themself in the position of impending loss of home...take the time to study your options. Sometimes living "homeless" isn't as bad as shelter life. No one I talked to even knew I was homeless. Not everyone is a lazy filthy bum who likes it that way.
It has been hard for me to gain employment having this situation brought on less than a year after relocating to a part of the country I had never set foot in and no established ties.

And A_Nut is right...if you are a drug free male, able bodied...no one wants to help you find a job, or help. This whole attitude of "well, he looks like he can work...he just doesn't WANT to cuz he's lazy" is a large part of the problem.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

This is a bad idea.
The handing out of free stuff to people is the stepping stone to serfdom.

The age old statement of the following will always be true:
Take a rich person and a poor person. Take everything from them and give them only $1000. Come back in 2 years and almost every time, the rich person will be rich again and the poor person will be poor.

This has to deal with decisions made by each person. Eitehr way, good or bad, those decisions are owned by the individual, not the population as a whole.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I love people who understand

Technically all i have to do is become a junkie

Fail a drug test or two

And the government will have no problem putting me up

This country is sick and dying

In at a loss for words

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Ha Ha, I love confirmation that I know what I'm talk'in about. I'm thinking you
study law on your own, pass the bar exam and get one stepping stone, away from
local politics. You certainly have the resolve.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

We do have several places like that in our city. The Daily Bread and the CITA mission are two of the main ones.

The Daily Bread provides showers, meals, laundry, basic health care, drug/alcohol counseling, and help with job training/placement.

Now I am sure it works for some people. However, in my experience it does not change the majority.

On a daily basis we have crime there. What I see more often is people going there, taking advantage of the opportunities, and then walking away with the profit from their panhandling that day to buy drugs and alcohol. This happens on a daily basis.

The area surrounding The Daily Bread is both residential and commercial. We get so many complaints from the residents and business owners. We have seen increases in burglaries, retail theft, disorderly intoxication, public defecation, assaults, etc.

The problem is people don't want these kind of places near their houses or businesses (NIMBY). I do understand why. I have seen what some of the people that frequent these places do to the quality of life of the surrounding area.

I am not trying to be a douche but in my 10 years of law enforcement I have seen less then double digits in regards to people that were truly homeless. A majority choose that lifestyle. The ones that were homeless not by choice took advantage of the facilities and got themselves off of the streets. Again this was a small portion.

I am definitely not saying that these facilities are in vain, but they are most certainly not the cure.

In fact myself and others have suggested moving The Daily Bread near the police department. It has been a battle for a couple of years now.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I forgot to add. I like your time limit idea. They need to make room for the people that really want the help.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

999zxcv
in america the empty homes outnumber the homeless it would be better for the goverment to take over empty motels/ hotels factorys and make them livable for the down and outs who could work at some social programme to do up empty or abandoned homes .

but that is way to sensible for our leaders to do

I agree, there are boarded up houses all around me, four within a half a block.

I also think it would be nice for them to help put working class poor into these homes.

edit on 113131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I love those.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Right, that's a big problem, how do they pay their bills.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

999zxcv
in america the empty homes outnumber the homeless it would be better for the goverment to take over empty motels/ hotels factorys and make them livable for the down and outs who could work at some social programme to do up empty or abandoned homes .

I also think it would be nice for them to help put working class poor into these homes.

it would boost the economy plus put people back to work and raise property prices around abandoned homes but they would rather buy a $100 million fighter jet or spend billions on a new aircraft carrier than spend money cleaning up the streets

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
they tried free housing in our community a few years back all it got was people robbed and killed on a regular basis. somebody knew they had a few dollars and they went to take it. Same as the low income housing in the area doors kicked in all the time as soon as you leave if the neighbors not talking that means the neighbor is in on it. 18 year old kid froze to death New Years eve no wallet and no phone when they found him but it was death from natural causes because nobody will tell where he got drunk and high.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

999zxcv

Stormdancer777

999zxcv

it would boost the economy plus put people back to work and raise property prices around abandoned homes but they would rather buy a $100 million fighter jet or spend billions on a new aircraft carrier than spend money cleaning up the streets

I mention these things all the time, it could work

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

macman

This is a bad idea.
The handing out of free stuff to people is the stepping stone to serfdom.

The age old statement of the following will always be true:
Take a rich person and a poor person. Take everything from them and give them only $1000. Come back in 2 years and almost every time, the rich person will be rich again and the poor person will be poor.

This has to deal with decisions made by each person. Eitehr way, good or bad, those decisions are owned by the individual, not the population as a whole.

The rich person will have established contacts who he could call after he checks himself into a hotel and orders room service.

The poor person would have to run to survive.

So yes. You are right.
Feel better about yourself now?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Ah, I love it when things are taken out of context.

Removing all things, including wealth. The rich man will become rich again. The poor man will remain poor.

Giving away crap, that was first taken from someone solves nothing.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Here's why I don't agree with you.

Why do we have to take from someone to help someone else out, why can't people who have more then they can ever give just help people out because some people just need help?

Oh I get it. Your awesome and these idiots just can't do it. What a bunch of dummies how dare them think they deserve shelter and food. Useless horses of people.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

onequestion

Here's why I don't agree with you.

Why do we have to take from someone to help someone else out, why can't people who have more then they can ever give just help people out because some people just need help?

Ummmm, people do. It is called charitable giving. Even the Evil Mitt Romney does this on a very large scale.
The issue is when the Govt comes in and takes from some, to give to others. That is the problem. That is theft anywhere else in the world, except when Govt does it.

onequestion
Oh I get it. Your awesome and these idiots just can't do it.

Sounds like the mindset of the Big Govt lover.
I know most people can do this. I also expect them to do so.

onequestion
What a bunch of dummies how dare them think they deserve shelter and food. Useless horses of people.

So which is it. They can either do it, or they can't.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I can easily predict this plan will not last long. The homes will be trashed. More money will be sunk into fixing them back up. They will be trashed again. Then people involved in the program will realize providing a house doesn't address the actual problem of homelessness, which is a mental behavior issue.

It's the same scenario with poverty. Giving people money doesn't end poverty. Most lottery winners end up broke again.
edit on 28-1-2014 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join