It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers may have found a cause for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

The cause is still unknown, obviously....BUt overall evidence points towards a weak respiratory system along with a weakened immune system...that wikpedia link will take you through some medical terms and have a understanding of the area in question..

the best advice I can give is watch for signs...reflux, spitting up more then usual, coughing, trouble swallowing..be extra careful during flu and cold symptoms and season...keep the air quality clean,even the smallest particles can have affect, listen to the morticion...accidental neglect when newborn is in a weakened state can be overlooked....please be cautious with vaccinations especially during cold, flu or teething..high temperatures and vaccines are a big no no.....extreme caution...delay vaccines until the child is healthy, only single dose vials, and never multiple doses at one time..space them out...

and overall keep the crib safe, head position can be more important then you can imagine, especially after a full tummy..there is a certain age where the respiratory system becomes more mature and these tissues and muscles function more properly...practice, practice strengthening of head and neck region..keeping head up,balancing for long periods of time, be careful with muscle soreness and weakness...

Heart monitors that are placed under the matress can be found at stores...
they can detect the slightest irregular heart rate..toys r us should have them...

laughing is by far the best exercise for this region dont forget this advice....

These are the most important ..serotonin?????...what baby is going to have a full dose or normal does of serotonin..what is a normal dose, is the release constant over a 24 period..at what age is the study to be done to confirm..especially with sleeping habits, the release of chemicals could be different at different times of the day..think jaundice.. if it's binding, is it a structure problem..besides there is no way to test if this baby or that baby should have full release at any part of the day or anytime of development...that first post,clearly states they suggest...no confirmation of a correlation...this is just a first step, of a statement, to get funding for research and for further investigation...which in my opinion everything needs to be study but let's not start jumping...

Everything can be linked together..just to hard to study and determine...ANY of these factors can come into play one day and take affect the next day, or at night when the baby is tired and weak.... no way to confirm..

Best bet watch for symptoms, talk to your doctor, educate yourself on these signs, be extra careful during times of supposedly weakened
immune systems,which can have a great effect on respiratory system..be extra careful until respiratory system is fully developed and strong . I know its hard now,but enjoy the newborn and make the baby laugh,and watch he or she become stronger...

think of a baby lifting head up, lifting chest up, and turning head and neck region gracefully and with ease...watch for these signs and help the baby become strong...and it should be okay...

Believing SIDS just happens and nothing can be done or its hereditary is just plain ignorant and reckless advice.. never has a baby been in a hospital and just died with SIDs and monitors where hooked up and a confirmation that SIDS was chemically induced and just happened...anyone says so, provide a link..if this was the case, then SIDS would be solved...SIDS happening in doctors arms,please..linky stinky...

It is a structure problem, that needs to be strengthened, within the chest,neck and respiratory region...yes SIDS has been around since the beginning, but currently there is much much more environmental factors that can hinder any kind of development, whether physical or mental..hence the recent rise in cases. Boys and girls development differently from the beginning..

that is my opinion backed with experience and research..there is a reason a milestone is reached and cases fall off the charts down to zero.

whoever and whomever, accept it or not, but exposure is the best, so bravo for everyone's participation,wrong or right....

edit on 26-1-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

That's all well and good, but checking a few times a night isn't going to do much to prevent SIDS, it just means you might find out sooner that your baby asphyxiated. Our baby boy didn't sleep much at all until he was a year old, and in any of those hours of continuous sleep, it could have happened.

The best you can do is avoid the obvious potentiators (pillows, crib borders or whatever those fabric things around the inside of the crib some people use are called, and blankets for very young babies.) Driving oneself insane worrying about something you can't control without hooking up a heart monitor just doesn't make sense.

One cause of SIDS is known to be benzocaine-containing teething gels, which in rare cases can cause chemical suffocation by reacting with hemoglobin, asking it so that it cannot properly carry oxygen. This can accumulate over time, so even if it's been used without issue in the past, it could eventually kill a baby. All one has to do is buy the natural teething gel instead. These are the things we do instead of worrying ourselves sick wondering if it's ok to fall asleep for more than 5 minutes. To me, that is akin to dedicating one's life to "prepping" for some specific, low-probability disaster. If it happens, you "win", but 999,999/1,000,000 times, you just miss out on life and have a basement full of ramen noodles.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

Trust me, I understand where you are coming from, but I agree with you to an extent.
You can't expect a new parent to simply just fall asleep, it comes with the territory and nobody is going to change that but yourself, no amount of stats will change that.
I'm thankful that baby has an awesome sleep schedule, out at 2000 up by 0700, we should learn from her lol.
New parent will always worry sick, simple as that.
You know what? it out my mind at ease and truthfully, I WANTED to do it, new baby into the world, nothing beats that, not the latest gadget, movie or videogame, daddy planted himself right next to that crib...which all father should rightfully do.
SIDS is our boogyman for our newborns and daddy will always check beneath the bed, for we are the shields and swords of baby. Nothing else matters, this enemy I hope, will one day be crushed, no new born should ever have to perish for a cause we still don't fully understand.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thank you for posting this. I am very sorry that your cousin had to go through that.

I hope that this may be a step down the path to looking for a biological answer instead of looking down our noses at grieving parents. I also hope this will cause some reevaluating of our somehow still prevalent social tendency to blame the parents (and it seems to me that most of that blame still falls more upon the mother than the father), when something like this occurs. All of the finger shaking--"They should have been checking the baby more." "They should have laid the baby on her back/side/stomach/whatever." "They should not have been co-sleeping with the baby". and all the rest. Not to mention the more torrid gossip that inevitably springs from these tragedies. It really makes me sick and sad for the parents that experience this.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

You made my point exactly..

If we are not willing as a society to clarify what SIDS really is, by clarifying what infant abuse is. This is all going to remain purely academic.

You want to talk about stats and proof. From who, the academics ?? Are you joking.

I have been to houses with SIDS cases .... Mold on the carpet, ceiling , walls and curtains. Place stinks of smoke. Multiple pets living in the house, infected with fleas. Reports from neighbors of all night parties with loud music.

But some idiot academic is looking at the mattress and if its made in China ??

I stopped reading reports on SIDS years ago after witnessing what I consider the deliberate turning a blind eye to obvious abuse, by academics. Simply because it didn't sit well with the PC brigade. And you cant get a grant for pointing out the obvious.

Remember we are talking about children's lives. We are either prepared to do everything to save them, or nothing. If that means charging people and making them accountable for their behavior once they choose to breed. Then so be it.

Stop sitting on the fence and pretending to care about everyone's freedom. When in reality you are denying a child's freedom to a immediate vicinity clean environment.

And if you don't think you are guilty of turning a blind eye to the obvious. Ask yourself this....

Someone mentioned genetic disorders that cause obesity. Do you know how rare this is. But every second study coming out now is "trying" to find this elusive genetic marker. That apparently has spread like magic to 40% of the population.

How many academics and scientists do you think really believe that is true ? And even if they did find such a thing, it will only show a predisposition to obesity. You still have to eat lots to trigger it. The person will still have to acknowledge the issue and follow a strict diet. Or this new "information" is useless.

Funny thing is, every animal study ever done has shown the exact same predisposition. To every species. Give an animal too much food and lock it up. It gets obese. Let it run around and restrict its diet. The "disease" goes away. A genetic miracle.

But there are no grants for telling people that abuse and lack of respect for themselves is the primary case of all their weight issues. Lots of money in looking for the boogy man.

Why should you care..... Would you care if anyone faked a disability. And the academics went along with it to help prop up their careers. And in doing so taking away any real chance of helping the 1% who actually have a genetic disability.

Would you do something about it. Or keep your mouth shut ? Or do worse and make excuses for the offenders.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It is suspected that perfumes from fabric softeners and detergents as well as crib bumpers may play a part too so it would seem to make sense..if little lungs are overwhelmed with a strong odor combined with a lack of airflow due to crib bumpers and now this new evidence of an imbalance causing a lack of a reflex trigger...it's a tragic combination for a little one.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

This is not really a mystery at all in most cases if you look at it in a logical / scientific way.

We know pollution causes central nervous system issues even in adults. Air pollution, noise pollution, over stimulation etc... this is not news.

The problem we face .... On a micro level on a developing body these changes are not so measurable. So using critical thinking in place of actual measurements is our only real option at present.

But even this is not being done. Simply because most KNOWN pollutants that effect the CNS are from our immediate environment. Not some far off factory or boogy man manufacturer. And most known pollutants are placed in our environment by our caregivers.

I know this from doing so many occupational health a safety deaths over the years. 99% of the time. The problem is right under your nose. Literally.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In Japan they decided to stop vaccinating the under 2's, SIDS vanished, there was no more Crib Death, Japan's infant mortality rate improved all the way to best in the world. Since then Japan was put under a lot of pressure by the Big Pharma Mafia to start vaccinating under 2's again, their infant mortality rate has since declined and Crib Death/SIDS is back.

There were also tests performed with the CotWatch breathing technology which also found it was vaccines which were causing Crib Death. Of course, for obvious reasons the Pharmaceuticals don't want to go out of business, so they always attempt to discredit this. However, it wasn't that long ago that the vaccine inserts used to warn of the risk of Crib Death.

The highest risk vaccine for Crib Death/SIDS of the DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Tetanus). It's actually known to be the most dangerous of all vaccines, causing Asthma in many cases. The disability compensation payouts for this jab are the largest of any vaccine.

A doctor I know recommends parents to hold off with that one until after age 2, or even to consider skipping it altogether.

There's some information here on the dangers of the DPT vaccine money.cnn.com...
edit on 27-1-2014 by hiddencode because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hiddencode

There is no country where SIDS is unknown.

I find your comment both misleading and disrespectful to real SIDS victims.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A step in the right direction ?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I'm not sure how that would ever fly. By logical extension of such a ruling, you would be outlawing Abortion and also opening the floodgates to a whole panoply of various "offences", for example here is a list of the top 10 things to do for a healthy baby:

1. Eat five or six well-balanced meals each day.
Those who don't eat healthy, for whatever reason, could be guilty of a crime....

2. Take a prenatal vitamin each day as directed by your obstetrician or midwife.
Vitamins cost money - are people who can't afford them going to be guilty of an offence if their child has problems?

3. Drink plenty of fluids -- at least eight to 10 glasses a day -- avoiding caffeine and artificial coloring.
Have a coffee, commit a crime?

4. Don't drink alcohol.
Mentioned above

5. Don't smoke or allow yourself to be exposed to secondhand smoke.
Stands to reason, but studies have shown that a simple 10 minute walk in an urban environment is as bad as having a fag - will women be guilty of an offence by virtue of living in a town?

6. Exercise -- it's important for your general health and also can help reduce stress. Take a pregnancy exercise class or walk at least fifteen to twenty minutes every day at a moderate pace. Walk in cool, shaded areas or indoors in order to prevent overheating.
If you don't excercise, are you a criminal?

7. Get adequate sleep -- at least eight hours a night. If you're suffering from sleep disturbances, take naps during the day and see your physician for advice.
Not everyone can sleep well, especially heavily-pregnant women. Will they be committing an offence?

8. Wear comfortable, nonrestricting shoes and put your feet up several times a day to prevent fatigue and swelling of the feet, legs, and ankles.
Will mums who wear high heels or jeans be committing an offence?

9. Continue to wear a safety belt while riding in motor vehicles. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the shoulder portion of the restraint should be positioned over the collar bone. The lap portion should be placed under the abdomen as low as possible on the hips and across the upper thighs, never above the abdomen. Also, pregnant women should sit as far from the air bag as possible.
Forgot to adjust the belt or the seat for the airbag? Off to jail for you....

10. Don't take over-the-counter medications or herbal remedies without first consulting your obstetrician or midwife.
You may take a paracetamol for a headache and think nothing of it, but if the baby comes out with problems, will you be to blame?

I know I may be "over reacting", but if precedent is set, it is a slippy slope. They should throw the case out.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
10 years ago this would not have even made the papers....

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

No. Most of your examples are not deliberate exposure to a known poison.

Stop trying to muddy the waters. It wont work and it sound like apologist BS.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
its pretty obvious vaccines cause most if not all of the SIDS cases

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

A horrible story, but that particular one I think deserved the punishment - she had a narrow escape just days prior then proceeded to the exact same thing again...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ilikeblondes

SIDs has been around long before vaccines.

And still happens in areas of the world with no vaccine programs.

People like you do not give "deny ignorance truthers" a good name. It is almost as though you are a decoy plant by big pharma to put logical people off the real issues.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The thing about the label SIDs.

Is it has been corrupted by PC academics, the media and crazy people in the past.

All evil in their own way in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am with thedeadtruth, but I still stand by my thoughts..

Let's try it this way...

9 months in a womb curled up in the fetal position..what structure is basically immobile...the respiratory system. When a child is born,they take their first breath..That system is basically in the fetal stage..As the child grows, gets more practice at breathing, that system be comes more stable..but not fully stable until the neck muscles become stronger..baby starts waving arms and shoulders...chest area is next, the child starts sitting upright..My belief is the respiratory system does not get fully strengthened until, crawling is mastered..think of all the muscles involved..this is why we see a drop off of SID cases, once they reach a certain physical development stage...also swaddling to much will hinder any strengthening of this area.....

Now let's add thedeadtruth experience..with a respiratory system that is not fully matured, blood brain barrier not fully matured and immune system also not fully matured..how vulnerable is the system? Let's add a environment with smoke particles..Let's add confined in a home with poor ventilation..Let's throw in some more chemicals that are not natural..why not, let's go ahead and inject some toxins into the body..surely these immature systems can handle it,right? Any unnatural substance can get into the CNS and cause damage to areas that are in the first building stages...

The child's immune system will not be fully developed until the respiratory system is fully developed..chest area gets strengthened, lungs get stronger,more oxygen to the body, more stems cells being produced, meaning more white blood cells being matured..then u have a matured immune system..

Yes a large percentage make it through this period...but not every baby is the same..not every parent is the same..not every environment is the same..genes, more swaddling then usual, less interaction, terrible environment factors, giving babies vaccinations with a high temperature..I could go on and on..

But the point is these systems are vulnerable and not yet matured..factor in hazard environmental substances..and your looking at a weakened respiratory system that will fail..causing suffocation, leading to hypoxic brain injury that ultimately leads to death..

edit on 2-2-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nitetrain

" Let's add a environment with smoke particles..Let's add pro conditions confined in a home with poor ventilation..Let's throw in some more chemicals that are not natural..why not, let's go ahead and inject some toxins into the body..surely these immature systems can handle in right"

Spot on.

You see the mistake people make is to attempt to demonize one substance or environment.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A compound of unnatural environmental factors can weaken the immature immune system which can lead to failure of the already immature respiratory system.

yes,the hazard environmental factors are ever increasing..
Who puts the child in harm's way within their environment..

obviously the parents...anyone can figure that out...

People are dumb these days, everyone needs proper education on every subject, including raising children.
There is no book on common sense..

Survival of the fittest can and always will be applied throughout history on any survival/death.
It has been and always will be a part of life, unfortunately..
I guess, family's and SIDs can be added to the list..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join