It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers may have found a cause for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nitetrain

It may be a contributing factor, but death is suspected to be the direct result of inner tracheal laryngeal spasm.

In the case of babies predisposed to SIDS, precautionary measures may help to prevent some cases; in others, the underlying combination of causes are too severe for any preventive measures to have an effect.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Spasm is involuntary loss of muscle control which causes the epiglottis to fail and block the passage...you just added the term of the area of the trachea laryngomalacia..which is the area I was discussing..

I guess you changed tune with my exposure to the subject, which you know nothing of....just because you say someone knows nothing of a subject, does not make it true....check yourself next time, or read more carefully

Whoops, to late, there you go again, below post...
claiming someone else knows nothing and your the only educated one on the subject.....
Boy you sure like to point fingers and claim your right of existence...small man syndrome my guess...

edit on 25-1-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

thedeadtruth
The public opinion about SIDs is also heavily tainted by political correctness ( not wanting to openly blame parents ).

The media hardly give any attention to coroners reports.

Classic Eg..... The amount of babies dying of suffocation ( due to obese parents sleeping with children ) is only starting to be addressed in my country. Even though it has been a known FACT for as long as I have been in the industry. ( over 30 years )

Academics have danced around the issue the whole time.

So even if they knew the answer. Do not automatically assume it would be shared openly.

Oh PLEASE! Get a medical degree before such judgemental statements based on lack of knowledge!

SIDS IS NOT SUFFOCATION, and that is proven at autopsy. Completely different pathalogical results.

PLEASE do a little research before convincing yourself that your 'clients' were murdered by their parents.

I really thought people had evolved beyond this stuff. I guess some are always going to believe only what they want to, no matter what the facts show.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So again we have people looking for a rare hidden factor to SIDS. The 1% .

Preferably the one factor no-one can be blamed for.

Why do we do this..... not for the children. Because if was for the children's safety we would be concentrating on the 99% where the parents are known to be the biggest risk to the infants life.

We know certain factors , smoke , drinking alcohol during pregnancy , being an obese mother etc... can directly cause an infant harm.

But no-one ever gets charged.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

nitetrain
reply to post by nugget1

Spasm is involuntary loss of muscle control which causes the epiglottis to fail and block the passage...you just added the term of the area of the trachea laryngomalacia..which is the area I was discussing..

I guess you changed tune with my exposure to the subject, which you know nothing of....just because you say someone knows nothing of a subject, does not make it true....check yourself next time, or read more carefully..

No, it is not the same thing as the trachea going into a spasm and never getting the brain signal to relax again.
The epiglottis and the trachea are two different things.
Good to see you doing some research!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

That is why I said earlier,the cause will never be found.....i am with the dead guy doctor...he has seen the cases, up close... and I am so sorry for that...

but it's just my opinion,

nugget,

I didn't know they can monitor all the spasms of trachea, epiglottis and whether or not that is what happened after the fact..let me guess a doctor had a baby in his hand, and monitored the spasms and it was well documented...link please... you said it...

The trachea not relaxing?????..what do you mean the whole esophagus closes up, kinda of like someone grabbing your throat and squeezing it shut tight..muscle spasms, you say...closes the whole airway passage of the esophagus?????

what you are talking about and describing , is a supposed spasm, that causes the epiglottis to become floppy...
and the cause can be many many things..suffocation being one...but to determine that will never be found..

dude are you sure, you just aren't arguing for the sake of argument....Because now your not making sense..your just repeating the same thing I am saying...nugget, word of advice, it's easier to just ask a question if your confused...nothing wrong with that..it's easier then being a know it all and making yourself look more stupid...
edit on 26-1-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

This is a fact great "educated" one.

The media have published the term SIDS linked to dozens of cases I have personally been involved with. When the coroners reports have later indicated direct responsibility to its induced environment or the parents behavior.

But the press NEVER retract.

I stand by my comments.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

thedeadtruth
reply to post by nugget1

This is a fact great "educated" one.

The media have published the term SIDS linked to dozens of cases I have personally been involved with. When the coroners reports have later indicated direct responsibility to its induced environment or the parents behavior.

But the press NEVER retract.

I stand by my comments.

You mentioned a few correlations in a previous post, but what other sort of environmental factors are you talking about. I doubt its professional to forward any of these cases, but maybe you could link to some material concerning this so I could educate myself on the subject.

Would these factors qualify under neglect?
More specifically, aside from smoking/obesity, are they easily avoided?

-FBB

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thank you advantage for bringing this new information to light.

This has been a subject that I have followed closely since I was 13 years old, and I love it when they find a new piece of the puzzle!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I agree with most of the informative posts here, from epiglottis failure and brain stem and other abnormalities to obese parent sleeping with child and smokers and second-hand smoke as well. The Serotonin theory is quite interesting.

I don't agree with watching the baby sleep all night. Sure, check on the baby regularly and having a new baby means going without a good night sleep but unnecessarily giving up sleep is not effective. An exhausted parent who stays awake to watch their baby sleep is not an alert parent during the day and accidents happen when we aren't alert. Plus, it's not a guarantee.

So, here's what I heard when my daughter was born in the late 1970's when there was an unusually high incidence of SIDS in the area where I lived at the time... just thought I'd throw this out there.

The Pediatrician said he believed SIDS was due to the baby's breath/spit-up or urine seeping out of diaper into the mattress and/or mattress pad that eventually dries and goes unnoticed. This is a concern even if the crib sheet is always clean/changed daily.

He said, as we know, Dark + Damp = Mold... always, even if we can't see it. Baby's breath doesn't generate much moisture but it doesn't take much moisture where there is no sunlight to create a few unnoticeable mold spores inside the mattress or pad. Even the tiniest amount of mold or just a few mold spores inhaled could cause a problem especially in an infant who may already have an unknown, undiagnosed abnormality.

The DR told me to put her face up and buy a new Organic cotton mattress --NO hand-me-down mattresses ever for infants. He said he had suspected that was a contributing factor. He also said a baby's room above a garage or next to one is also very risky and not advised. I took his advice and we had no problems. Anyway, this is his theory -- thought I'd share.

He said NEVER reuse/hand-me-down baby's mattresses or mattress pads. Never pass the mattress onto another baby -- only the crib. He said always buy a brand new mattress for each child and make sure it's manufactured by a smaller, reputable company. Pay attention to where it was made and not manufactured by large corporations, the big ones, such as DuPont.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Obviously can not comment on specific cases.

But over my career the causes of higher risk behavior has always been the same...... Smoking , alcohol, obesity.

Other well known factors have always been low birth weight, high birth weight, premature etc.... all things outside a parents control. And could almost be called an "Act of God".

My main issue has been the abuse of the terms SIDS by multiple parties. Sure the definition has been narrowed over the years. But the known issues are never hammered home. No-one is ever held responsible.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Oh, now I understand what you were getting at and just misunderstood you.

Thanks for the clarification.

-FBB

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Nugget1, You are using Wikipedia, you just didn't read past the first paragraph..where it discusses laryngomalacia in more detail, specifically the epiglottis and no surprise you no mention of stridor..well this info will help you in the next discussion..we are all educated now, in your terms..next time read the cause,if using Wikipedia for a diagnose education..in this case the floppy tissue.

en.wikipedia.org...

As I said in the beginning exposure is the key...I believe it has a broad range for two reasons...

First , determining the cause is almost impossible, especially when any form of suffocation could be involved..that is most , not all..
but we are talking of SIDs ,
was it the brain stem failure (the original article uses the word suggest but not confirmation,big difference, meaning we need more grant money),
was it Epiglottis failure, suffocation with slow lack of oxygen from fluffy pillow, fluffy mattresses,fluffy parents rolling over, spasm, heart, reflux,smoke exposure, chemical imbalance of serotonin,vaccination crossing BBB causing failure of vital tissues or organs..?????
WHich cAme first is the key..one should have a butterfly effect to the rest.....with the end result being epiglottis failure, or did it come first??
I could be wrong , the morticion, would be expert to ask..

can the cause of sids be determined-or pinpointed from one of these factors or failures when no trauma is found?????
Morticion guy? My guess the amount of brain damage and the area of cellular death, or swelling....that is just a rambling guess...
what signs or areas are the focus????

Better yet, don't answer those question......

Second ,the broad range is for exposure, and educating ALL parents...
and I believe they want it this way...

and for this reason the cause for sids will never be found or linked to one specific reason.
My predictions, sids will be given even more broader terms and somehow they will try to tie in autism...

And yes fatal mistakes may not be punished here on earth but will be addressed elsewhere...
edit on 26-1-2014 by nitetrain because: using a tabl e t

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Japanese researchers honed in on the DPT vaccination as the cause of SIDS back in the 70's. Our current vaccination schedules have changed to reflect their findings. We don't hear much of SIDS anymore as a result.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
"The cause has been found, this is good news"

No, it's not good news. What we have here NOW is a catastrophic problem rather than a simple one like asphyxia and positioning.

Doctors and Psychological doctors and also neurologists are going to have a field day with this, and not in a good way. It's still not fully understood how chemicals like serotonin, norepenephrine/dopamine, and GABA are processed and functioned in regards to chemical imbalances and solutions. We know what these chemicals do, but it's a complicated matter that involves not only psychology, but NEUROLOGY!

We know what serotinin, norpenephine and dopamine DO for us, but physicians, chemists and psycholosists alike don't quite know the method of action in regards to "medcine" in it's effects on these transmitters. If the claim is such that chemical imbalances are involved in SIDS then not only is this very complicated, but if news spreads on this new information we're going to see a huge increase of psychotropic medications being prescribed to INFANTS (not only babies that are x months old, and toddlers, which many medications have been FDA approved for, but now medicating NEWBORNS) such as antidepressants like SSRIs (most which work on the H-1 receptors) that inhibit serotonin reputake and there's NRI's that work with norepenephrine and dopamine receptors, and other forms such as SNRIS that work largely with norepenephrine agonism, but can also act moderately on serotonin.

There's also the neurological aspect on medications like Gabapentin and pregbalin which act on neuropathy (nerves, nerve pain ie: shingles and fibromyalgia) but also have been shown to have comorbid effect on neurotransmitters that effect emotion, such as it's offlable use for bipolar disorder and anxiety. (displaying here an example of how various effects, causes and actions are connected medically)

This could start a whole new era of medical experimentation on psychological and neuropathic testing, and medication distribution as early as BIRTH. It's interesting that there is mention of GABA. This leads me to understand we have a very big mess at bay.

Not only is the medulla "directly" involved in the actions of breathing, which most know and has been medically accepted, but I believe it's way overlooked that the "prefrontal cortex", which is the part of the brain that controls things like emotions, memory and state of mind, also plays a HUGE role, as in, from what I've began to see, emotions, very much comorbidly related -- how? Cardiac and neurological implications. Cardiac in this case meaning breathing and heart function (just explaining and simpling it down a little for people who may be unfamiliar) which is also not only a neurological issue, but also a psychological and physical one. To sum it up, physical, internal (cardiac and neurology) and psychology all effect one another (again to simple it down)

They are all connected to one another. It's complicated. But we will get there and understand more about medicine and it's effects on the mind and body as time passes.
This is an aspect, partially, of what I've been researching for the last several months.

ETA conspiracy comment:
There's something really wrong with this world. What have we done, and did WE do this? What is REALLY the cause in the big picture, is what I'd some day like to know. Is it food/chemicals, genetics, enviornment/chemicals, sociological causes, All of the above, or is something or someone else deliberately influencing, thus causing, this huge influx on these conditions? One day I would hopefully like to see either myself, or anyone else get to the bottom of it to find a scientific/medical solution that can be replicated to be effective for anyone and everyone, not just selectively for individual people. And if this cannot be done, we need a different form of diagnostics.

edit on 1/26/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Advantage

You know, I was thinking... if we could tell what kids have this issue, a sleep apnea monitor.. or something like it.. would alert when the breathing stopped. That would greatly up chances of the baby surviving.

Thanks for the info OP this is very intestesting. I have a 2 year old and another on the way so I am well aware if that paranoia and constant checking.

We actually got a movement monitor which is a mat that sits under the matress and sounds an alarm if baby stops breathing or moving, it gave great peace of mind!
edit on 26-1-2014 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

thedeadtruth
So again we have people looking for a rare hidden factor to SIDS. The 1% .

Preferably the one factor no-one can be blamed for.

Why do we do this..... not for the children. Because if was for the children's safety we would be concentrating on the 99% where the parents are known to be the biggest risk to the infants life.

We know certain factors , smoke , drinking alcohol during pregnancy , being an obese mother etc... can directly cause an infant harm.

But no-one ever gets charged.

SID syndrome is just one aspect of the big picture. Call it 1% if you will (proof?)

Looking at this from a legal POV, charging parents due to having their babies die from SIDs would be opening the door in the legal system for our government to furthurmore govern our daily lives (more than they already do). Take legal action and monitor EVERYTHING (more than than they already do). It would open the doors to imprison anyone who has a beer or two after work, or those who binge eat, or those who have any disorder or genetic history that causes obesity, or anyone who has a cigarette or anyone who is exposed to second hand smoke. I don't know about you, but I would highly be against infringing more of our freedom to choose how we decide to live our lives.

The problem lies in the bigger picture. There's always a connection between choices, reactions, and results, and there are many factors involved rather than just a black and white situation like -- mother drinks a lot, baby has health problems from this -- mother goes to court and is charged to endangerment to welfare of child/murder -- mother is imprisoned. And again, where is your proof or research on what this has to do with SIDS? There can be more than one culprit at hand. Thing Bigger.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Ok - throwing in my 2c's... My cousin lost her daughter to SIDS, however IT HAPPENED WHILE SHE WAS IN DAYCARE. My cousin stayed home the first 8 weeks on maternity leave, but had to go back to work. Can you imagine the guilt she felt? She did everything "right" at home - baby on side, etc.

I was sort of lax about things when my daughter was born (a few years before my cousin's daughter). I let her sleep on her tummy, had the cute bumper pads, and checked on her periodically but didn't get up in the middle of the night unless she cried. She survived and now in college giving her parents gray hair.

After my cousin's tragedy, I had my twins. Whole different story. I had read that it tended to run in families.

By the way, the daycare was investigated and wasn't found at fault. They were doing everything right, and it was only in a span of a few minutes that the baby died.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
All debating aside I currently have a 3 month w/Laryngomalacia. I also have major anxiety & PTSD about SIDS as someone close to me lost their baby to SIDS 13 years ago.

So, as you can imagine, the comments on here have scared me to no end!

Will you please site references linking SIDS to Laryngomalacia. I'm going to go to my child's pediatrician & talk to him about it. I need to be armed w/knowledge.

Any links will be greatly appreciated!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join