Researchers may have found a cause for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
fox2now.com...

Now, there may be hope for solving the mystery over why the deaths occur. Researchers from Boston Children’s Hospital found chemical abnormalities in the brain stems of the SIDS babies, regardless of their sleep environment, suggests they had this abnormality before they died.

“The abnormality prevents the brainstem from responding to the asphyxial challenge and waking.”

Wonderful research and I hope we can develop a way to screen for this abnormality in al births given that 2000 babies die from "SIDS" in the US a year.. and those are the ones the CDC confirms as "SIDS". I suspect there are more.

SIDS touched my own family years ago. My cousin had a baby that died and it was put on the death certificate that is was SIDS and manner of death was positional asphyxia during sleep. This made my cousin a basket case.. thinking she had caused it by not getting up and checking on the baby constantly all night. Im sure you can imagine the internal trouble this caused... and the gossip. Now at least we have a real cause and can look for it.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
AWESOME ARTICLE.
I have a beautiful 9 month old girl, everyday I kiss an hug her, every night a kiss and checkup, every midnight snack, another kiss an checkup.
When Doctors first told us about SIDS, me an my wife freaked, we put our daughters crib in OUR room, to this day an every night we made sure she was sleeping alright.
Being a new parent, you tip toe everything with baby, but it was SIDS that completely scared the living crap out of us.
Basically what the docs told us is that there is nothing we can do in the event of SIDS, like some morbid "get away with killing an infant" syndrome that just mysteriously happens, PFFFFF YEAH RIGHT!! not in this house.
baby still doesnt have a pillow...
I am glad for something to finally give way on this terrible thing we call SIDS, when YOU people become new parents and hold that beautiful little life in your hands, you will feel exactly as how we did the moment SIDS pops up with the one on one with doc, to know something that your helpless to do or remedy.
The best IMHO, always check on baby, follow the steps, improve them, sorry I just don't trust baby monitors or separate rooms, sometimes that ONE second could be the life or death of your child, but in the case of SIDS, we can only prepare an do our best.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

I hear you. Im older now, but when the kids were babies they stayed in our room too. I was completely paranoid given what happened with my cousin. We bought the sleep position wedge and no pillow... hard mattresses.. the works!
You sound like a GREAT parent!!! Lucky kid you have!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thank you for that, most important of all, thank you for this article! ever since my baby daughter came into this world, my whole macho drink whole kegs, smash my way our of everything, shoot first, manly super death destroyer to all has but toned down sooooooooooo much, now I'm a father, lazy afternoons on the couch with baby sitting next to me watching "regular show" an youtube vids is my thing, lol.
SIDS is my number one enemy an when one of my soldiers has a baby coming, I make sure to educate them to the best of my ability, Ill glady do the same for our ATS brethren an sisters.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sincerely hope they continue to research this! Have three myself and I opted for co-sleeping I was so worried about it. Had a friend who went through a SIDS death with her child, and it was horrible to witness. Kudos to the researchers! Perhaps we can prevent many baby deaths through this!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Arnie123

Thank you for that, most important of all, thank you for this article! ever since my baby daughter came into this world, my whole macho drink whole kegs, smash my way our of everything, shoot first, manly super death destroyer to all has but toned down sooooooooooo much, now I'm a father, lazy afternoons on the couch with baby sitting next to me watching "regular show" an youtube vids is my thing, lol.
SIDS is my number one enemy an when one of my soldiers has a baby coming, I make sure to educate them to the best of my ability, Ill glady do the same for our ATS brethren an sisters.

You sound like my husband.

Ill tell you a secret.. when they become teenagers dad goes back to the manly super death destroyer. My poor husband has **3** girls. One is now 15 and the other 20. The little one is only 8.He is a nervous wreck. Boys sniffing around like wolves.. LOL!!

Educate all you can! I just wish we had more information on this new cause of it.. and if there is any way to screen for it.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

LMAO, OMG, please...oh no...you did it...
Now I'm convinces I'm gonna have nothing but girls!! lol, some of buddies ended up being fathers to multiple girls and I always laughed at it....I laugh no more

Imma be that father polishing a shotgun on a rocking chair by the porch drinking a cold one, watching the clock tick down....

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Sounds like me, Arnie! Mine are 6 & 4 now, but we were so paranoid about SIDS that we kept the bassinet in the bedroom with each until they outgrew it (i.e became mobile) Then came in the crib until each was around 18 months. For about 3 years straight, I got pretty much zero sleep because we were utterly paranoid & wanted to keep as close an eye as possible on them at night. I remember waking up every half hour for months to make sure they were still breathing. Walking zombie is an understatement...

The stigma is what gets me. I don't know of anyone personally who's lost a baby to SIDS, but know several people who've had family members lose babies to SIDS, and the stigma is strong. Even the most defensive ones still are a little suspicious. It's messed up, there shouldn't be a stigma, SIDS is what it is, coroners would pick up on anything that hinted otherwise. And yet, it remains a stigma, a label of shame & failure, with an undertone of "they had to have done something". That's so wrong & low.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Screening for it is going to be a tough one I imagine, maybe some sort of imaging like the Sona grams?
Or better yet, perhaps a 3D printing of the actual fetus?
Hey guys, just blindly throwing out ideas, its hard enough to figure out whats wrong with little baby in the womb , like blood test are not very safe to do on a baby inside the womb, there not even sure its genetics based on the article, maybe it boils down to the mom, perhaps certain vitamins? workouts? foods?
I often wonder what the global statistics are on SIDS? maybe its just something here in the US...Its time to bust out the arm chair scientist routine and google it.
Most important of all, can it be remedied right after birth? like some shot to ensure the right chemical precursor? somthing along the lines of like how jaundice is treated with newborns?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Arnie123

LMAO, OMG, please...oh no...you did it...
Now I'm convinces I'm gonna have nothing but girls!! lol, some of buddies ended up being fathers to multiple girls and I always laughed at it....I laugh no more

Imma be that father polishing a shotgun on a rocking chair by the porch drinking a cold one, watching the clock tick down....

Ohh yeah .. us too. We will have dual rockers on the porch here. LOL! We had the kids pretty late, so we are going to be OLD.. bet we get away with murder easier. LOL!

Nothing but girls.
I think its something in the MREs. The husband is a Marine, though not active now, and 2 of his buddies have all girls. LOL! We had considered adopting a boy at some point here in the near future..but havent decided on how to do it all yet! Poor guy. He has to watch football with the dog. LOL!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Arnie123
Screening for it is going to be a tough one I imagine, maybe some sort of imaging like the Sona grams?
Or better yet, perhaps a 3D printing of the actual fetus?
Hey guys, just blindly throwing out ideas, its hard enough to figure out whats wrong with little baby in the womb , like blood test are not very safe to do on a baby inside the womb, there not even sure its genetics based on the article, maybe it boils down to the mom, perhaps certain vitamins? workouts? foods?
I often wonder what the global statistics are on SIDS? maybe its just something here in the US...Its time to bust out the arm chair scientist routine and google it.
Most important of all, can it be remedied right after birth? like some shot to ensure the right chemical precursor? somthing along the lines of like how jaundice is treated with newborns?

NO idea. WHats in the article is about all I can find so far. If I find more.. Ill post it. I have your same questions about it.. and more!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Nyiah

Sounds like me, Arnie! Mine are 6 & 4 now, but we were so paranoid about SIDS that we kept the bassinet in the bedroom with each until they outgrew it (i.e became mobile) Then came in the crib until each was around 18 months. For about 3 years straight, I got pretty much zero sleep because we were utterly paranoid & wanted to keep as close an eye as possible on them at night. I remember waking up every half hour for months to make sure they were still breathing. Walking zombie is an understatement...

The stigma is what gets me. I don't know of anyone personally who's lost a baby to SIDS, but know several people who've had family members lose babies to SIDS, and the stigma is strong. Even the most defensive ones still are a little suspicious. It's messed up, there shouldn't be a stigma, SIDS is what it is, coroners would pick up on anything that hinted otherwise. And yet, it remains a stigma, a label of shame & failure, with an undertone of "they had to have done something". That's so wrong & low.

Yep. With my cousin there was gossip and people afraid to leave their kids with her. It was ridiculous. I hope this thread can help those here who have suffered with a sids death.. and maybe educate those who have been judgemental too.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Oh man, MREs? I'm definitely having all girls, this has to be a sign, lol
I'm active duty Army and trust me, whole boxes of MREs are stocked up in a closet, every now an then, an MRE finds its way out an baby is trying to gum her way in lol.
One of the best things about being military with a newborn is that help is literally right around the corner, you seriously have paramedics, MPs, Your Chain of Command an neighbors pop up in like mere minutes.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is the best news ever and will put so many mothers mind at ease, being a mum of 3 i know how stressfull it is and how hard it is already to get sleep with a newborn but having SIDS to worry about aswell can make it even harder to get some much needed sleep ! All the lives that will be saved, this is such great news!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
No matter what the cause.. SIDs should be somewhat of a mystery.

Go back and read y'alls posts...ALL Parents should be scared of SIDs and stressed...
Constantly checking should be the norm...

The mystery, paranoia, and exposure may have saved many little ones lives..
edit on 25-1-2014 by nitetrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

When I was quite young I had a cousin who died from this. My Aunt and Uncle lived below us, and I remember my dad coming upstairs and telling me as I was watching TV, I remember his exact words, "You know Kitty? She died" (a nickname for Katherine, and I recall my uncle looking at her gravestone and telling me "Oh, that was her name" - he thought it was spelled with a C.) Probably the first death of someone I knew in my life. My Aunt disliked my sister for the rest of my Aunt's life because she was born around the same time and lived.

If the cause has been found, great. If this pans out, now some type of defense against it can be mounted with knowledge of the cause backing it up.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

nitetrain
No matter what the cause.. SIDs should be somewhat of a mystery.

Go back and read y'alls posts...ALL Parents should be scared of SIDs and stressed...
Constantly checking should be the norm...

The mystery, paranoia, and exposure may have saved many little ones lives..

If you read the article, youd see no amount of paranoia would save the poor childs life. Its a brain stem issue. No one has said.. throw your kid in there with a pillow and forget it. Youre missing the entire point of the discussion and didnt bother to even read the article.. but had to post.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Nearly lost the neighbours to this killer.....caught the baby just in time.....it was a freaky ride to the hospital 20 miles away on the worst roads, but by the time we got there they simply said hes breathing fine now go home and sids no more.....pardon the pun....it was the biggest relief to hear them pronounce Tmothy fine and healthy....now im not so sure they knew # from shinola.....

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

stirling
Nearly lost the neighbours to this killer.....caught the baby just in time.....it was a freaky ride to the hospital 20 miles away on the worst roads, but by the time we got there they simply said hes breathing fine now go home and sids no more.....pardon the pun....it was the biggest relief to hear them pronounce Tmothy fine and healthy....now im not so sure they knew # from shinola.....

It could have been... who knows at this point. May have been actual positional asphyxia rather than this brain stem issue. All I know is that I myself believe that we cant go wrong by screening infants for this.. just like we do right after birth... IF there is a way to screen for it. I mean, if there was no way to tell if your kid has this anomaly.. who would ever want to sleep again? Not me!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Your not the only victim in this world...

my point being...Beside the little ones possibly having a problem with the brain stem..

the exposure of SIDs and the mystery may have kept All ( Every ) parents on their toes at night..
which may have saved many other thousands of newborns...

it's hard to understand anything when emotions are attached.not everyone is out to get you..
believe me I know about this subject more then most..quit throwing rocks..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join