It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to Lovers of the Gun

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Almost Every Hour, 1 Child Gets Hospitalized due to Guns

An average of 20 children per day are hospitalized due to firearm injuries, revealed one of a kind study that has focused on gun related injuries and deaths of children.

The study published in the journal Pediatrics has shockingly unveiled that almost every hour, one child gets hospitals due to guns, which means thousands of children are meeting the same fate.

"That's more than 7,000 children injured badly enough to be hospitalized. All are unnecessary hospitalizations because preventing gun violence is something that can actually be done", affirmed lead author Dr. John Leventhal.

In order to reach at the above given result, the study researchers have assessed the data from the 2009 Kids' Inpatient Database (KID). After going the database, it was found that 7,391 hospitalizations have taken place due to firearm injuries. Out of them, 453 deaths have also taken.

Assaults were majorly found on the data as the total number for the same was 4,559, along with 2,149 for accidents and 270 for suicide attempts.

It shall, however, be noted that these figures have not included children who lost their lives before taking them to hospitals. John Hopkins Center for Gun Policy has found that firearm-related mortality in the United States is 10 times higher than other high income nations. Research director Daniel Webster and Hopkins have levied blame on weak laws.

This is all I care for - how more safer our children are due to guns and guns crazy folks. About 5 million new guns per year is large number. More guns, more chance to get injured either by accident or misuse of weapons.

It is proven fact that more guns don't make us more safer, actually it is opposite - with more guns you have more crimes. Here is study:

Objectives. We examined the relationship between levels of household firearm ownership, as measured directly and by a proxy—the percentage of suicides committed with a firearm—and age-adjusted firearm homicide rates at the state level.

Methods. We conducted a negative binomial regression analysis of panel data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web-Based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting Systems database on gun ownership and firearm homicide rates across all 50 states during 1981 to 2010. We determined fixed effects for year, accounted for clustering within states with generalized estimating equations, and controlled for potential state-level confounders.

Results. Gun ownership was a significant predictor of firearm homicide rates (incidence rate ratio = 1.009; 95% confidence interval = 1.004, 1.014). This model indicated that for each percentage point increase in gun ownership, the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%.

Conclusions. We observed a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates. Although we could not determine causation, we found that states with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides.

Please stop with this unreasonable comparison with stuff we need in life - gun is not necessary for everyday life like car. It is very childish and does not prove your point - it just prove that you are willing to go to extreme to validate your 'hobby' that put as all into more danger.

edit on 28-1-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

SuperFrog

Please stop with this unreasonable comparison with stuff we need in life - gun is not necessary for everyday life like car. It is very childish and does not prove your point - it just prove that you are willing to go to extreme to validate your 'hobby' that put as all into more danger.

That's funny. I lived just fine for 20+ years without a car. Had a home a career, went shopping, never used public transportation.

Hundreds of millions of people live their lives without cars.

Necessary? Nope.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

SuperFrog
Almost Every Hour, 1 Child Gets Hospitalized due to Guns

An average of 20 children per day are hospitalized due to firearm injuries, revealed one of a kind study that has focused on gun related injuries and deaths of children.

The study published in the journal Pediatrics has shockingly unveiled that almost every hour, one child gets hospitals due to guns, which means thousands of children are meeting the same fate.

"That's more than 7,000 children injured badly enough to be hospitalized. All are unnecessary hospitalizations because preventing gun violence is something that can actually be done", affirmed lead author Dr. John Leventhal.

In order to reach at the above given result, the study researchers have assessed the data from the 2009 Kids' Inpatient Database (KID). After going the database, it was found that 7,391 hospitalizations have taken place due to firearm injuries. Out of them, 453 deaths have also taken.

Assaults were majorly found on the data as the total number for the same was 4,559, along with 2,149 for accidents and 270 for suicide attempts.

It shall, however, be noted that these figures have not included children who lost their lives before taking them to hospitals. John Hopkins Center for Gun Policy has found that firearm-related mortality in the United States is 10 times higher than other high income nations. Research director Daniel Webster and Hopkins have levied blame on weak laws.

This is all I care for - how more safer our children are due to guns and guns crazy folks. About 5 million new guns per year is large number. More guns, more chance to get injured either by accident or misuse of weapons.

It is proven fact that more guns don't make us more safer, actually it is opposite - with more guns you have more crimes. Here is study:

Objectives. We examined the relationship between levels of household firearm ownership, as measured directly and by a proxy—the percentage of suicides committed with a firearm—and age-adjusted firearm homicide rates at the state level.

Methods. We conducted a negative binomial regression analysis of panel data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web-Based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting Systems database on gun ownership and firearm homicide rates across all 50 states during 1981 to 2010. We determined fixed effects for year, accounted for clustering within states with generalized estimating equations, and controlled for potential state-level confounders.

Results. Gun ownership was a significant predictor of firearm homicide rates (incidence rate ratio = 1.009; 95% confidence interval = 1.004, 1.014). This model indicated that for each percentage point increase in gun ownership, the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%.

Conclusions. We observed a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates. Although we could not determine causation, we found that states with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides.

Flawed study by the anti-gun folks. "Children" up to age 21 who were injured due to their criminal activities were part of the study. It is disingenuous at best and intentionally deceptive at worse.

On your second study, you conveniently ignored the most important point: " we could not determine causation," Statistics and scientific method 101: correlation does not equal causation. Of course, facts and logic take a second class seat to political agendas.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Hobby? Sorry, you know nothing about me. Your assuming.

Many people need guns. My neighbor in fact. He needs it to protect his livelihood from predators. I'm pretty sure you can't just 'Ask' the coyotes to leave the pheasant alone.

I own guns. we used to hunt, to provide food for my sons, because it was cheap. My sons were raised in a home with guns. And taught to respect them. As I was.
We must be the anomaly I guess. They are now in their 20's. Never injured, never stole our guns, never threatened to shoot anyone.

I can respect your choice of not wanting to own a gun. But you really need to respect mine.
All gun owners ARE NOT gun nuts.

And as for the car, that is a choice as well. You could always move to an area where there is public transportation.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Ah, the tired old statement of "It's for the children".

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov...

Every day, over 300 children in the United States ages 0 to 19 are treated in an emergency department, and two children die, as a result of being poisoned. It’s not just chemicals in your home marked with clear warning labels that can be dangerous to children.

Time to ban chemicals.. After all,

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

chiefsmom

I can respect your choice of not wanting to own a gun. But you really need to respect mine.

And that right there is the sentiment of 99% of gun owners.

And is the direct opposite of 99% of Anti-Gun rights people.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
That's funny. I lived just fine for 20+ years without a car. Had a home a career, went shopping, never used public transportation.

Hundreds of millions of people live their lives without cars.

Necessary? Nope.

Good for you - let me ask you question - would your life be possible if there was no cars? Let's imagine for a sec - no fuel for a year - farmer can't run machinery to place seeds into ground, but neither those seeds can be developed because all scientist working on them were unable to get to labs - nor there was anyone capable to deliver seeds to farmers.... followed by no transport for other goods.

Get real, even if you directly don't have need for car and live close to work, you are well depending on rest of us who have to travel to work.

Please provide study about 'Hundreds of millions of people live their lives without cars.'. Are you including whole world of 7billion, or just USA - where we have only a bit more than 3 of those 'hundredths millions'.

NavyDoc
Flawed study by the anti-gun folks. "Children" up to age 21 who were injured due to their criminal activities were part of the study. It is disingenuous at best and intentionally deceptive at worse.

On your second study, you conveniently ignored the most important point: " we could not determine causation," Statistics and scientific method 101: correlation does not equal causation. Of course, facts and logic take a second class seat to political agendas.

Riiigh, and for that we have yoru word...

Sometimes I wonder how many ATS members are paid by NRA. From all stars gun advocates get, I guess a lot...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Good for you - let me ask you question - would your life be possible if there was no cars? Let's imagine for a sec - no fuel for a year - farmer can't run machinery to place seeds into ground, but neither those seeds can be developed because all scientist working on them were unable to get to labs - nor there was anyone capable to deliver seeds to farmers.... followed by no transport for other goods.

All cars could disappear right now and we would still survive. Farmers would plant and harvest, goods would still get to market.

My great-grandparents managed without them.... I am pretty sure that the US Civil War was fought without them.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

farmer can't run machinery to place seeds into ground, but neither those seeds can be developed because all scientist working on them were unable to get to labs - nor there was anyone capable to deliver seeds to farmers.... followed by no transport for other goods.

Oh, honey!!!! Can I ask how old you are? There are so many errors in this statement, I don't know where to begin.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

chiefsmom

Hobby? Sorry, you know nothing about me. Your assuming.

Many people need guns. My neighbor in fact. He needs it to protect his livelihood from predators. I'm pretty sure you can't just 'Ask' the coyotes to leave the pheasant alone.

I own guns. we used to hunt, to provide food for my sons, because it was cheap. My sons were raised in a home with guns. And taught to respect them. As I was.
We must be the anomaly I guess. They are now in their 20's. Never injured, never stole our guns, never threatened to shoot anyone.

All gun owners ARE NOT gun nuts.

And as for the car, that is a choice as well. You could always move to an area where there is public transportation.

The voice of reason....refreshing! I feel EXACTLY as you and no, I am not a "gun nut", I am a "gun enthusiast". I treat my guns with the respect and responsibility they need and I carry a handgun for my protection. I am not asking anyone to approve of MY decision and if someone does not like guns and chooses to not have them in their home, good for them. There are no winners and losers in a conversation like this, only opinions of what is best. Agree to disagree and carry on.....I am not asking anyone to have guns if they do not want them. What I do not like (my opinion) is anyone telling me that guns are unsafe. People who make bad decisions are unsafe whether they have a gun or a 200lb automobile and plow through a crowd of people.

I have said it over and over but I will say it again. America suffers from a mental health crisis that is out of control. Normal sane people do not go to a mall or school and kill people with a bat, knife or even a gun. I am not going to change anyone's mind and no one is going to change my mind. Move on......

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

SuperFrog

Riiigh, and for that we have yoru word...

I found the full study: link here

Things that stand out:

We used the 2009 Kids’ Inpatient Database to identify hospitalizations
from firearm-related injuries in young people < 20 years of age;

So that includes 14-19 year olds.

The numbers include criminal activity and suicides:

injury codes were used to categorize the
injuries and the causes as follows: assault, suicide attempt, unintentional, or undetermined.

Take a look at the table:

Age Assault Suicide Unintentional Undetermined Total
0–4 years 31 (18.0) 2 (0.9) 133 (76.8) 8 (4.4) 173 (2.4)
5–9 years 47 (23.0) 2 (0.8) 152 (74.2) 4 (2.1) 205 (2.8)
10–14 years 267 (38.2) 21 (3.0) 377 (53.9) 34 (4.9) 699 (9.5)
15–19 years 4143 (66.8) 239 (3.9) 1459 (23.5) 360 (5.8) 6201 (84.0)
Unknown 70 (62.6) 8 (6.8) 28 (25.0) 6 (5.6) 112 (1.5)
Totala 4559 (61.7) 270 (3.7) 2149 (29.1) 413 (5.6) 7391

In case the table doesnt paste well the take away is that vast majority of these hurt children are criminal teens.

The rates of hospitalizations were highest in 15- to 19-year-olds and in black males. Public health efforts should be dedicated to reducing this common source of childhood injuries.

edit on 28-1-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

BugOut

I have said it over and over but I will say it again. America suffers from a mental health crisis that is out of control. Normal sane people do not go to a mall or school and kill people with a bat, knife or even a gun. I am not going to change anyone's mind and no one is going to change my mind. Move on......

And the Anti-Gun rights crown want to remove the peoples ability to defend themselves when these things occur.

I, like every other person that owns a gun, respect the rights of others to not be armed and to be a willing victim.

But, the respect is not reciprocated. So much for tolerance.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

butcherguy

All cars could disappear right now and we would still survive. Farmers would plant and harvest, goods would still get to market.

My great-grandparents managed without them.... I am pretty sure that the US Civil War was fought without them.

You are delusional if you think that we all would survive without cars/transportation. There is just no way that we could get enough food and to all corners of earth without transportation, not to mention producing enough food for over 7 billion of people.

Again, this is just fail argument.

Car serve purpose in our life - guns - mostly not. Unless you use guns to feed your self, or as someone mention fight off predators from your farm.

I forgot, why exactly do we need gun?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Oh,,,SuperFrog, you didn't read your own article you used did YOU!

It's the same article another poster used and it clearly states the age groups, race's and Gang Violence!
Please, Please, Please,,, have some body that is Competent in your family take you out and teach you how to properly handle and respect a weapon.
You Really, Really, may need it one day, Especially if you live your Doom and Gloom of now car or fuel, Who's going to hunt for food and keep the Bad Guys From Taking What You Have!
With your replies and your way of thinking, I really have to award you:

I also have to ask, the same question one of my friends from a post above asked you, How Old Are You? Do you truly believe taking away or more gun regulations well Curb the Violence and Deaths? I hope not, That's Insane!
The reason we have more violence is our population and our open borders. IMO.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I do respect people owning gun, but this to large amount stupid comparison of guns to other every day necessities I don't.

Sure, some people do need gun and this is not in any case about abolishing guns, but controlling them. NRA managed to make it impossible for guns to get regulated and controlled. I have nothing against people owning guns, but would prefer that if your neighbor happens to have break down, someone can see that he has gun registered under his name and police is able to take those away from him, as he might not be suitable to own gun any more and might decide to hunt more then hyenas.

Do we agree?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I always forget that kids older then 13 are not kids anymore... riiiiggghhhttt...

This is how folks here look in my eyes...

Protecting innocent...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

When has the United States of America Ever Feed The Whole Earth?
We need to Worry About us, let them fend for themselves.

You need to remember, we have a great tradition of Farming like a poster tried to get through your Head in a post Above!
We also have a rail road system in America that can be retooled to operate on Steam again if necessary and we have a vast interstate and highway system in American that reaches Alaska, Oh, are you forgetting, Blimps?
All this forms of transportation can carry food and supplies and people.

Now try and get back on Topic.

edit on 28-1-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So what you are saying, those are not kids - group 14-19 year old.

K, how about newer study, like this one:

The number of guns per capita per country was a strong and independent predictor of firearm-related death in a given country, whereas the predictive power of the mental illness burden was of borderline significance in a multivariable model. Regardless of exact cause and effect, however, the current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.

AJM: Gun Ownership and Firearm-related Deaths

Fail argument is just that - fail argument. New studies are all showing the same results, and we are not in any way more safer then rest of developed world, actually it is opposite - we are less safe thanks to amount of new guns produced yearly. One day this will have to stop...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

SuperFrog
Do we agree?

No. Because want you want to do is impossible. Even without the NRA. I can make a gun in an afternoon at my house. One that will destroy your car in a single shot. No police records, were I a lunatic, would be able to stop me.

Laws cannot control people. Until you can overcome that hurdle, you're just pissing in the wind.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Your statement is a contradiction.

You either respect the ownership of firearms. Or you don't.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join