It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell on Earth! Uranium: The DEMON that Threatens Us All, Hail Mary

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Rosinitiate
reply to post by Bedlam

So instead of correcting terminology or diverting the topic away from the stated issue in the OP, why not contribute your thoughts to the shelf life of DU dust in the soil or the bodies who ingest it and the offspring who come after? Or is that not part of your directive?

Bedlam's egocentric identity has been working one of my threads to death/derail; "WHAT ANIMATES THE HUMAN". He seems to know metalergy and why the human function "lifeforce" exists yet cannot integrate itself into the thread or make sense to the JIST OF what is the cause of the animation of the human; also cannot get the fact waveform oscillations have to be in phase to accomplish anything. Does not know magnatism properties/do not effect the heavy metals (very wordy tiresome). Hands in the air here; I sympathise. Came onto my thread not reading the OP .
edit on 23-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

vethumanbeing
Bedlam's egocentric identity has been working one of my threads to death/derail; "WHAT ANIMATES THE HUMAN". He seems to know metalergy and why the human function "lifeforce" exists yet cannot integrate itself into the thread or make sense to the JIST OF what is the cause of the animation of the human; also cannot get the fact waveform oscillations have to be in phase to accomplish anything. Does not know magnatism properties/effect the heavy metals (very wordy tiresome). Hands in the air here; I sympathise.

The problem there is that you have some misunderstanding of basic science, and you want the thread to be mystical/magical, and the topic just doesn't lend itself to that. And yes, nickel is magnetic.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Bedlam

vethumanbeing
Bedlam's egocentric identity has been working one of my threads to death/derail; "WHAT ANIMATES THE HUMAN". He seems to know metalergy and why the human function "lifeforce" exists yet cannot integrate itself into the thread or make sense to the JIST OF what is the cause of the animation of the human; also cannot get the fact waveform oscillations have to be in phase to accomplish anything. Does not know magnatism properties/effect the heavy metals (very wordy tiresome). Hands in the air here; I sympathise.

The problem there is that you have some misunderstanding of basic science, and you want the thread to be mystical/magical, and the topic just doesn't lend itself to that. And yes, nickel is magnetic.

No it isnt; your nickel sample must have been contaminated with Iron. The problem with my thread you responded to? (you responded to it). Not in the Unicorn or Strawberry Shortcakes Catagories.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Bedlam

Rosinitiate
reply to post by Bedlam

So instead of correcting terminology or diverting the topic away from the stated issue in the OP, why not contribute your thoughts to the shelf life of DU dust in the soil or the bodies who ingest it and the offspring who come after? Or is that not part of your directive?

The OP interspersed nuclear references with DU. That in itself diverts the topic away from 'the stated issue' if there is one in that post. Other than "I hate uranium".

It's a chemical toxin. At the doses you're likely to see on a battlefield, that's the effect you're going to get, for the most part. Why not confine your anti-DU message to the truth? Does it simply sell better if you put a bunch of trefoils on it and talk about B61's instead?

I just LOVE shill shouters, though. Hey, why not ask me what I get paid? After all, isn't that what you're supposed to do when you can't support your argument?

It's not my argument it's the OP's, I'm just making an observation. You can tell the difference between he and I, yes? If not, I'm the dodo bird.

Since its a chemical toxin and not nuclear, we need not fear it?

Yes, I am anti-DU. I'd think the only pro-DU people would be psychopaths and madmen. To save you some time, yes that was "my" opinion. Sorry no sources forthcoming....

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

It's not my argument it's the OP's, I'm just making an observation. You can tell the difference between he and I, yes? If not, I'm the dodo bird.

Yah, that's why I said "the op" and not "you" to your question about the reasons for my response.

Since its a chemical toxin and not nuclear, we need not fear it?

Fear it as a chemical toxin. There's no point in mixing in nuke references and calling it fallout. Dilutes the message, makes posters on the topic look ignorant. Hey, you want a possible shill, who might be more likely to be a shill - the one who's conflating DU and nuclear weaponry, or the one who's saying it ought to be dealt with as a chemotoxin and stick to what's actually happening?

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
People are arguing semantics when it comes to weapons made from spent fuel. What kind of radiation from what Isotopes and how less or more dangerous it is when employed as penetrators in military ammunition. All reduced in the furnace of tech talk to harmless…

Lets keep it simple, heres some factoids.

Military uses include defensive armor plating and armor-piercing projectiles.

As well as missiles like the Hell Fire (used in Drone attacks)

the US Defense Department states DU used in US munitions has 60% the radioactivity of natural uranium.

Oh good, its only half as bad.

The use of DU in munitions is controversial because of questions about potential long-term health effects. Normal functioning of the kidney, brain, liver, heart, and numerous other systems can be affected by uranium exposure, because uranium is a toxic metal.

Yah, long term… as in Eons.

The aerosol or spallation frangible powder produced during impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites, leading to possible inhalation by human beings.

"Possible" inhalation, uh huh. From impact (primary function of rounds is impact), dust in the wind spreads over wide areas, ingestion is the result. Thats whats dangerous-- getting the stuff inside you.

Depleted Uranium

Knocked out tank tagged "No Rad" . Guess someone thought it was enough of an issue over there…

Use in Gulf and elsewhere
edit on 23-1-2014 by intrptr because: changed, thanks Bedlam

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

vethumanbeing
No it isnt; your nickel sample must have been contaminated with Iron. The problem with my thread you responded to? (you responded to it). Not in the Unicorn or Strawberry Shortcakes Catagories.

Nickel is ferromagnetic. It is attracted to a magnet. Just like metallic cobalt and gadolinium.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

intrptr
People are arguing semantics hen it comes to weapons made from spent fuel rod pellets.

DU is not made from spent fuel rod pellets. Is that seriously what you believe? If so, you need to go read some factual lit. DU is what's left after you remove the U235. You know, before the pellets are made? Yep, that end of things. The DU is what's left after you separate the fissile stuff to MAKE the pellets.

the US Defense Department states DU used in US munitions has 60% the radioactivity of natural uranium.

Oh good, its only half as bad.

4.47 billion year half lifes mean that it's not emitting much of anything. You could sleep on it. Sorry.

The use of DU in munitions is controversial because of questions about potential long-term health effects. Normal functioning of the kidney, brain, liver, heart, and numerous other systems can be affected by uranium exposure, because uranium is a toxic metal.

Yah, long term… as in Eons.

Especially if you're trying to mix the half-life with the chemical properties. Whoops, that doesn't work. My bad.

ingestion is the result. Thats whats dangerous…

Right. You got one.

Knocked out tank tagged "No Rad" . Guess someone thought it was enough of an issue over there…

Cool, a pic from Rense. What did you find on the Loch Ness monster?
edit on 23-1-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

4.47 billion year half lives mean that it's not emitting much of anything.

Just alpha particles…

You could sleep on it. Sorry.

Just don't breathe…

Handling the ammunition before firing is a lot safer than sleeping in a contaminated impact area.

There's a big difference which your "sleep on it" statement overlooks.

Granted about spent fuel rods as source… thank you, edited.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Bedlam

vethumanbeing

Nickel is ferromagnetic. It is attracted to a magnet. Just like metallic cobalt and gadolinium.

So now it is just maybe, maybe attracted to a magnet. STOP THE INSANITY NOW (before it multiplies).
edit on 23-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

vethumanbeing

So now it is just maybe, maybe attracted to a magnet. STOP THE INSANITY NOW (before it multiplies).

There is no maybe. Nickel, cobalt and iron are the main three magnetic materials. Past that, it's rare earths. Even then, you have to have a form of them that is magnetic. Heme is not, for example.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by Bedlam

Just alpha particles…

Not many, and unless you ingest it, there isn't any detrimental effect.

Just don't breathe…

As long as you don't use a grinder on it, it won't hurt you. You know what you call an emitted alpha particle you "breathe in"? Helium.

Handling the ammunition before firing is a lot safer than sleeping in a contaminated impact area.

There's a big difference which your "sleep on it" statement overlooks.

No one's saying it's good for you. Quite the opposite. What's not true are the hackneyed cliches about DU being a nuclear attack, "nuking the troops", it being made out of fuel rods and so on. The fact that it's chemically toxic should be enough without the PETA-like hyperbole.

What containers of dangerous low-energy alpha particles might look like

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

DU is not made from spent fuel rod pellets. Is that seriously what you believe? If so, you need to go read some factual lit. DU is what's left after you remove the U235. You know, before the pellets are made? Yep, that end of things. The DU is what's left after you separate the fissile stuff to MAKE the pellets.

Please read the link provided.

Just for you,

Most depleted uranium arises as a byproduct of the production of enriched uranium for use in nuclear reactors and in the manufacture of nuclear weapons.

Hear that? "Most" DU…

Since the U-235 content of nuclear reactor fuel is reduced by fission, uranium recovered by nuclear reprocessing from spent nuclear reactor fuel made from natural uranium will have a lower-than-natural U-235 concentration. Such 'reactor-depleted' material will have different isotopic ratios from enrichment byproduct DU, and can be distinguished from it by the presence of U-236. Trace transuranics (another indicator of the use of reprocessed material) have been reported to be present in some US tank armor.

Highlighted. Indeed "spent" fuel is a source. They call it "reactor depleted" material. In use in the field. The above linked data is from the first two paragraphs of the link. With all due respect, do you even read what people bring?

Done here.

Depleted Uranium

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
the point is natural uranium isn't very radioactive at all. natural uranium means the most common isotope which isn't useful for making things glow in the dark. natural uranium is probably in the soil in your yard right now. every million or so atoms in natural uranium is the more dangerous isotope that's the one that can go critical or super critical. when scientists speak of processing uranium they usually mean separating out and collecting these more unstable and more radioactive nuclei from the "natural" form. DU is less radioactive than the natural uranium found in small quantities just about everywhere.

and ferromagnetic elements include but are not limited to:

Ferromagnetic elements refers to substances whose magnetic moments of the atoms do spontaneously line up with one another. Some of these elements include: nickel, iron, gadolinium and dyprosium.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
in addition to the ferromagnetic materials there are also diamagnetic materials and paramagnetic materials. diamagnetic materials are actually repelled by magnets. paramagnetic materials are only weakly attracted to magnets and do not retain magnetism of thier own once removed from an external magnetic field.
edit on 23-1-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not sure why everyone is so fervently attacking Bedlam, he never said DU wasn't bad. He only made a point (a good one in fact) that DU's danger wasn't the relatively minute radioactivity, but rather that it's a heavy metal that likes to go "poof" and spread it's nastiness around. When demonizing something, why not demonize it for what it really is and not what fear mongers like to spread. No one is really defending DU. Just my two cents, however unwanted and unpopular they may be.
edit on 23-1-2014 by CellDamage420 because: Typo

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
For crying out loud. EVERYTHING CREATES WASTE. EVERYTHING IS DANGEROUS when it comes to fueling the planet. When PROPERLY MANAGED, nuclear power is, BY THE NUMBERS, the SAFEST form of energy on the planet. Stop buying into panic and learn the facts. Yes nuclear power plants produce waste. EVERYTHING PRODUCES WASTE. Solar power requires toxic materials to be produced and to work, as does EVERY OTHER FORM OF ENERGY WE USE. Uranium is not evil. It's a tool, just like everything else. It must be used responsibly. That does not always happen, unfortunately. Such as Fukushima and several notable others. But many, many reactors run every day of the year without incident and have done so for decades and decades.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
that's absolutely correct. DU is something you don't want around in dust form. it is a heavy metal and like most heavy metals it is extremely toxic. areas where DU rounds have struck are not places to have picnics anyway though.

but in solid form where you cannot breath or ingest it or have it insinuated into wounds its actually quite useful stuff. it's radiation is a lot less that that found in some basements. you get more cooked on a plane flight and certainly in the x ray or dental room.

don't play the crazy unless it's for deliberate comedic relief. it causes you to lose the ability to persuade more rational people and forever taints your cause as kook territory.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
that tank in the rense photo looks like an abrams. it's a friendly that got taken out.

by the way to the person that attacked the photo on the grounds that it came from rense... i mean; really? that's an ad hominem logical fallacy. the fact that the photo was on rense does not mean that it's not a photo of a tank in the middle east that was taken out and examined for radiological contamination. there are far batter ways to debate than cheap rhetorical tricks. a rational person would not dismiss Nixon's thoughts on China on the grounds of watergate. No; the best way to debate or evaluate any proposition is to examine only the merits of the case provided. the facts or non facts as the case may be. i do not think rense sent a corespondent to take the photo (not that it would make any difference if they did) and i do not think they photo-shopped it so rense is irrelevant. why bring it up at all? they are just hosting a photo.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
and another thing: while it is true that dust can be blown a considerable way away from its point of origin it is also true that dilutes and diffuses as it does so which decreases the exposure to non dangerous levels when compared to other radiation or toxicity hazards. the primary hazard area is usually confined to about the distance you could urinate on from the top of the damaged vehicle. and like i said typically DU impact points are not the sort of place you would have a picnic, enjoy a spot of tea, sleep or fornicate in or spend a great deal of time deep breathing in.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join