It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Find It Hard It's Hard To Find...Oh We'll Whatever Nevermind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Lately I've found it hard to describe how I feel. At one point I feel like I should be the "perfect person". At another I feel like, "It doesn't matter anyway I'll die and be in some sort of box again." Yet I find myself doing the "right thing" anyway.

I bought a homeless man groceries yesterday and found myself thinking, "Does it matter?"

Meaning, he still dies from liver failure. (he was a drunk and out of food stamps he claimed). It's inevitable. No doubt.

Sometimes I wonder how much our actions matter

Feel free to post your opinions that somehow state your a better person than I.

edit on 17-1-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: Title

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

[snipped]. That makes me better IMO.

Joking aside, we're all equal, supposedly. Cheer up

edit on 18-1-2014 by Kandinsky because: Snipped unnecessary comment

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

I try to stay positive, but sometimes it's hard to see the up side of things.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

Try and find something/someone to be positive about. Life sucks for a lot of people right now.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Who knows what the right thing is?

Put yourself in the homeless man's shoes. What you did for him
gave him comfort--made him feel good--and made you feel good.

If it feels good...do it.

If it feels really good, try to figure out a way to make money from it.

I deny all.....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It only matters if it matters to you.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Yes, it does matter -

None of us are perfect - just think, if everyone committed a random act of kindness for no particular reason every second of every day - maybe we wouldn't be such a bunch of #ed up people living on this earth.

It does matter, and it isn't un=noticed in the long run - what you did for others, and the love you give to others, is the only thing you take when you leave this world.

God bless you, and everyone else - we all need it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It has been said before ...

" If life gives you lemons ... turn them into lemonade! ".

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

solongandgoodnight
Lately I've found it hard to describe how I feel. At one point I feel like I should be the "perfect person". At another I feel like, "It doesn't matter anyway I'll die and be in some sort of box again." Yet I find myself doing the "right thing" anyway.

I bought a homeless man groceries yesterday and found myself thinking, "Does it matter?"

Meaning, he still dies from liver failure. (he was a drunk and out of food stamps he claimed). It's inevitable. No doubt.

edit on 17-1-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: Title

From my point of view:

You did something that was nice for someone else, while seeing that until the homeless man get the act together he will still be suffering. Temporary relief of suffering is still a moment where you have given affection/love for another thing and the other person although not 100% percent happy have received it. It makes a difference in both you and the one receiving it because it changes what you and the receiver are even if it is only miniscule.

It is hard giving relief on suffering when there is an insane amount to do and people not being able to efficiently make the most of what you do, without giving into apathy. That apathy is in a way sometimes useful for you to protect yourself so that you can handle that it is a marathon race you are doing not a quick race.

The butterfly effect is an amazing thing. en.wikipedia.org...

Every little action changes the whole "what is" even if it is only a miniscule change that you cannot see the end off since it is propagated thru time on a timescale of billions of years. Evolution on all level at it's finest.

Thank you for being. Namaste (PS I am having the same kind of problems motivating myself so you are not alone in this).
edit on 18-1-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I love movies. They teach us so much, and we don't even realize it. We just think it's 'feel good TV.' But I never forget certain truths I have learned through cinema. Morgan Freeman said to Steve Carell in Evan Almighty, that ARK stands for A Random Kindness. Which you performed. Never feel bad about helping. Your regret is your Ego, not wanting to let go. Be happy you helped someone else, without asking for return.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I've always approached my actions in life from two angles:

The first is immediate change
The second long-term sustainability

I typically file "random acts of kindness" in the first category. They aren't about the long-term, but about causing a change in the immediacy. Buying groceries for the homeless man might not change how he dies in X-amount of years. But, by that same token, eating your own dinner tonight might not change how you die in X-amount of years.

The reason that it is still a worthwhile action to do though, is because you don't know the future, but you can know the present. You cannot know when or how that homeless man will die, but you can know that your gift of groceries allowed him to eat tonight, to drink something other than alcohol, and to prepare himself for tomorrow.

And that, in my mind, is better than withholding groceries because he'll die some day.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

thanks for this thread.

i've been wondering about this too.

sometimes when i gave to others, i felt peaceful.
on the other times, i felt conflict inside.

peace

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Your example reminds me of thoughts I have oten had it reminded me of one of my favorite quote from one of my favorite episodes of Doctor who " the way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

We can never know the out come of things we just have to treat others the way we need to be treated and leave the results up to the creator.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

you don't always have to feel good about yourself or the world. you don't always have to get it right. you don't always have to feel good about the eyes that stare back at you from the mirror. but you have to keep trying. take the next step. see the next sunrise. sounds like you know that. good job citizen. and next time you start to "feel"? keep trying. it matters. it's one of the few things that actually does.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

If you can't do this?

I bought a homeless man groceries yesterday and found myself thinking, "Does it matter

Without feeling like this?

Then you might be an atheist.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's not ALL just about how much of a difference you made in that man's life. It's also about what it did to you, in YOUR life. These actions definite who we are. OK maybe THIS time you didn't "save the world", but it's the fact that you're the type of person who would, given the chance. And you're going to be a lot better off having lived your life this way. When your time comes, you will die knowing you did what you could with what you had, where you were. And one of these times, you will make a big difference to somebody or to your community or the world. And who's to say you haven't already? Who's to say you didn't make a big difference by helping that man? Maybe now he will feel grateful for it and have a moment where he realizes he needs to call his daughter and tell her he loves her and he's sorry he became homeless and wasn't a perfect father, and that talk could give her the closure she needed in a situation that was haunting her so now she will have the fortitude to finish high school and go on to college to do great things whereas before she felt like she had a hole in her life. Or any other number of scenarios that can only come about through random acts of kindness.

Hey, don't kid yourself here. No matter what happens, at the end of the day, you matter! And what's more, your soul, your essence, your "you"-ness, is priceless beyond any perceivable value.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tencap77

That's right and you would not appreciate or even have the ability to acknowledge something good or feeling good if you never experience feeling bad every once in a while. Ups and downs. Feeling down just means you're getting closer to the next "up". But beware, some ups and some downs last longer than others. But when everything feels fine you're not going to take much notice that "hey I haven't been sad in a while...what's up with that??" But you sure do notice it when you have an extended "low"... you start to wonder what's the point, the world is effed up beyond belief anyway, and all the negative sides of things seem to pop out at you in your mind. You just have to keep telling yourself it isn't going to be this way forever. Meaning, purpose, happiness...it WILL find a way back into your life. One time i was really bummed out and i won't get into it too much but one day somebody left a kitten at my house. Just totally ditched it. The plan was she was to stay and get sober off of drugs. But one day she just disappeared, leaving behind a few belongings and a 3-4 month old kitten. I've always been more of a dog person but have not had any pets for over 8 or 9 years because I could not dedicate enough time to walking a dog and giving it the attention I think they deserve. It turns out a cat doesn't need to be walked or even let outside to use the bathroom. Much less work. Half the time they are doing their own thing but they do still like to play or be scratched or pet. Needless to say it was exactly what we needed in our house to brighten up the mood. There's nothing like watching a young animal exploring and getting into all kinds of crazy antics. You'll smile, you'll laugh, you might even cry...from laughing so hard! Might not quite work for you, but then again I never would have guessed the several positive changes a feline could bring into our lives.. Anyway good luck and i hope you find a more fulfilling existence for yourself soon!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

solongandgoodnight
Lately I've found it hard to describe how I feel.

You do a great job in this original post.

solongandgoodnight
At one point I feel like I should be the "perfect person". At another I feel like, "It doesn't matter anyway I'll die and be in some sort of box again." Yet I find myself doing the "right thing" anyway.

What is the "perfect" person? What is the "right" thing? Those are belief systems, each person has their own.

In regard to morality, I will say this though, treating others as you'd like to be treated is a great way to stay away from drama in life. This is the simple truth.

solongandgoodnight

They matter to those who our actions affect. If you would have insulted him, it would have mattered to him. He would have been hurt. If you would have ignored him, it would have mattered to him, he would feel unnoticed in the world. Our actions affect others, and while it may not matter in "the end" since everyone will eventually die, why make life a living hell for others when we can help to alleviate the pain of ourselves and others?

solongandgoodnight

It's good to recognize that if someone thinks that they are 'better' than you, that it is only an opinion. Better is based on "good" and "bad" and each person has their own set of moral code.

A wise person, however, understands that treating others as you'd like to be treated is a great way to stay away from drama, even if you don't follow this, you'd be unwise, but not "evil" or "bad", unless you define ignorance to be evil.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It "smells like teen spirit" to me.
2nd

top topics

join