It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrifying, lucid nightmares galore, from tiny 1g/night Melatonin supplement

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Your having the nightmares/dreams because your getting some very good REM (Deep) sleep. It means it is working. Over time you should notice yourself having more energy from getting better sleep even if your having nightmares.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I WAS FEEDING MY FISH TANK AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TANK LIT UP LIKE RADIOACTIVE WASTE EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS GLOWING FOR A SECOND THEN I HEARD A PIERCING SOUND THAT JUST BLASTED RIGHT THRU ME DISINTEGRATING AND EVERYTHING WENT PITCH DARK

That high pitched, almost vibrating sound, reminds me a lot of the first few times I went lucid when trying to lucid dream. Did it seem to almost envelope you, starting from your feet up to your head? Almost like you were "filling up"? For me, this caused me to wake up for a moment. As soon as I went back to bed, I instantly remembered I was sleeping and was able to start creating an environment around me out of the darkness. Have you ever dabbled with lucid dreaming before OP?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hiya! Sorry to hear about your anxiety troubles, they can be crippling.
I've taken melatonin when I was young and had the same reaction, I tried it again recently (older now-haha) and noticed deeper sleep and remembering dreams better but not the nightmares- thank goodness! Just wanted to second the Valerian (*really* stinks, just hold nose and swallow-lol) and also wanted to mention you might try Theanine. I've found it has a calming effect on thoughts.
(I use 'theanine serene')

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Thanks guys!

It does help me fall asleep faster (usually takes me hours) so far.

Last night's nightmares were accompanied with suddenly 'free'falling' which would wake me up only to fall back asleep and have it happen again constantly at the end of each nightmare, the worst was that we (strangers? I rarely have dreams that contain strangers) were climbing up hollywood hills because everwhere else was flooding from the ocean and I didnt have time to take anything with me so I was naked and sort of jumping and gliding up the mountain, a few feet above the land, it was so lucid, I felt so proud that I was gliding so effortlessly across the land as if Earth's gravity had reduced significantly and each 'push' forward would glide quite a long way up the mountain but then the ground opened up and people were falling in but I still felt assured for a while I could just escape it by gliding, then the letters from hollywood started falling down and I woke up when i felt like gravity or a vaccuum pull me down suddenly.. again i think its just fears this time because its been rather quite lately seismically and feel like the next one might be a big one?

Don't know if I will continue this melatonin, will look into getting some valerian one of yous mentioned as well as meditation likewise

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Irises chopped out and stcked back in? sounds like a good theme for Hostel 3 or 4

Yea benadryl works great for me just I've been takin it for years off and on and my doc says that may be a factor in my blood pressure sensitivity.

It doesn't help that now my folks had these weird visit from the LEOs. I dont even remember my dream/nightmares anymore, because when I woke up this morn I had alot to rush to do and didnt do a dream(nightmare review

But sure enuf, this evening turned into a nightmare now trying to get to the bottom of the ambiguous police visit. Wonder what I'll dream of tonite. Could the melatonin be making my brain more susceptible to MKUltra or something?

Gosh, I sound like a paranoid schizophrenic. Sunday = timeout chillout gardenin day!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Stay away from large glasses of milk and valarin root too!
But some people seek to have such dreams. I really didn't think melatonin did it alone since your brain already produces it when it's lights out. Are you sure no other ingredient or it was larger than 1mg?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
EDIT__ Saw post stating it was 1mg
Hi! first post, been lurking for awhile.
If you are seriously taking 1 GRAM nightly, This was drug-induced. The normal dosages for sleep range from 300ug-2mg. You are taking 500-3,333 times an an acceptable dose. Melatonin is also a tryptamine and has some similarity to the active constituent of magic mushrooms and '___'. Some individuals have claimed to experience a psychedelic state either at high doses or in combination with specific drugs. I however would theorize you have flooded your neurotransmitter sites and you experience strange perceptive shifts until your neurochemistry re-balances.
edit on 5-2-2014 by sabertoothbuffalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Yeah, I actually created this account just so I could reply.
PEOPLE NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM THAT STUFF!!! PEOPLE ACTUALLY GIVE THIS STUFF TO THEIR CHILDREN!!!
Anyway, around 2009-ish, I had bought some melatonin to help myself fall asleep being that my job had literally reversed my hours. So instead of a 6pm-6am shift, it was now going to 6am-6pm. I had liquid melatonin which I was supposed to drip under my tongue. After following the correct dosing instructions, I got in bed with a good book waiting for the medicine to take its "effect"

Now here's the fun part. I started feeling sleepy, but it felt natural. My body started to feel a lot calmer and more at peace. I just knew "this" was the right thing for me. I closed the book, placed it on the nightstand and fell asleep in no time. Didn't even hear my husband (at the time) coming in from work and getting in the bed. I had an awful series of vivid nightmares starting with my younger sister and I as teens crossing the street. We see our mom barreling down the road, her car literally came out of nowhere. It was too late. She ended up running my sister over. I could hear her bones crunching, it was awful. I fell to my knees and cried my sisters name. She just gave me a hopeless look. I was screaming for help. Then, my mom slams on her brakes, puts the car in reverse and does it again!!! This time she runs over my sisters head and she's no longer alive. Blood was everywhere and I knew If I looked at the body I'd remember it; so I didn't. I woke up sweating and crying hysterically still asking for help. I had to go downstairs and watch The little mermaid to clear that awful nightmare out my thoughts/mind. Fell asleep on the couch and had another terrible nightmare regarding the resident evil 5 video game. My husband (at the time) always played that game and I always liked watching him. There's these big huge demon-men with super large ax's that you literally have to blow up to kill. I had a nightmare that those demon men went upstairs for my husband (at the time) and killed him, I heard his screams followed by chops. I saw blood dripping thru the ceiling. Woke up, then went back to sleep and dream't I was in the tub with a bottle of gin; a voice was telling me to kill myself, I could't believe it! I'm like the last person to kill themselves. I woke up and threw those drops in the trash. That was the last straw. Why does melatonin make people dream of death? or something awful; but mainly death?

After that night of fun, I decided to see a Dr. and he prescribed me Ambien. It makes me feel drunk or disoriented; but no nightmares. Just dreams that don't make sense. I've heard of people sending emails or texts they don't remember. But that doesn't happen with me; although I did wake up one morning with my panties thrown clear across the bedroom. (Post divorce) I'm the only one in my bed. Not sure what to think of that.

Not many people will get Ambien prescribed to them, another herb I'd like to add is Hops (Humulus Lupulus) 2 capsules a couple hours before bed and you fall asleep instantly. I also enjoy burning cinnamon scented oil. Going on a good run from earlier in the day also helps me fall asleep quicker.

edit on 16-2-2014 by Danielle1988 because: had more to add

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
How cool! Someone else said weeks ago they created their account to reply to me. I'm flattered by you(s)! I'd been suggested switch to Ambien but someone I'm comforted that melatonin is what the body releases anyways whereas drugs are synthethic and unnatural chemicals to the body and who knows what they break down into and those effects. But yea I've heard good things about Ambien from many folks who are 'on' it.

parad0x122

I WAS FEEDING MY FISH TANK AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TANK LIT UP LIKE RADIOACTIVE WASTE EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS GLOWING FOR A SECOND THEN I HEARD A PIERCING SOUND THAT JUST BLASTED RIGHT THRU ME DISINTEGRATING AND EVERYTHING WENT PITCH DARK

That high pitched, almost vibrating sound, reminds me a lot of the first few times I went lucid when trying to lucid dream. Did it seem to almost envelope you, starting from your feet up to your head? Almost like you were "filling up"? For me, this caused me to wake up for a moment. As soon as I went back to bed, I instantly remembered I was sleeping and was able to start creating an environment around me out of the darkness. Have you ever dabbled with lucid dreaming before OP?

Absolutely! The radioactive lit up the tank and everything around including myself and within the dream (which I thought was so real) WITHIN A SPLIT SECOND I knew everything including myself was destroyed as the energy from the radiation blast consumed me from bottoms up all within a split second and I awoke assuming I had been destroyed in that blast and felt the energy filling me up/consuming me.. Lucid dreaming as far as knowing I am dreaming,yes but not these dreams. These dreams are just so vivid that I actually ponder if I'm dreaming in the dream but dismiss the possibility that I'm dreaming in them so far each time, since they are incredibly real.

Lately it's still been various nightmares of family members dying, including fresh deaths of people that have been dead for years upon years such as my grandpa, it was like he had just died (again).

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

gardener
Some of you may have read my thread on trouble swallowing, and my paranoia(sp?) or concerns it may have to due with being irradiated here on the West Coast via Fuku drift.

Anyways I saw a doc on Tuesday and my blood pressure was high despite I'm a vegan on low salt. Anyways, its a known issue with me snce I'm such an introvert/recluse that when I do go to town or have meetings, appointments I'm a nervous wreck.

Anyway doc suggested not to prescribe me anything for my insomnia since he don't wanna complicate my existing issues of swallowing troubles as well as the high blood pressure, recommended melatonin. I got it OTC since my lousy insurance doesnt cover rx.

Took it last nite and has a a whole night of nightmares back to backl everytime I was startled and awoke, only to fall asleep into another different nightmare. Anyways I thought it was just a coincidence but a few hours ago I went to sleep and had like 2 nightmares already, just horrible, the last was of my mother lying on the same couch where my brother in real life died just back in August months ago, she said her head hurt and just fainted and we couldnt find a pulse, I awoke to call 911 and I actually didnt realize it was just a dream until I jumped out of bed to grab my phone on the desk, crying.

I'm already forgetting many of the nightmares that were back to back now these past 2 nights, but they involved death, as well as the weirdest one I do remember was I WAS FEEDING MY FISH TANK AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TANK LIT UP LIKE RADIOACTIVE WASTE EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS GLOWING FOR A SECOND THEN I HEARD A PIERCING SOUND THAT JUST BLASTED RIGHT THRU ME DISINTEGRATING AND EVERYTHING WENT PITCH DARK and vaporized and as I realized I was killed, that very moment I jumped up in bed, awake.

I know it's just a nightmare but now part of me is sayin be careful, it might be a premonition I might get shocked to death near water. But the other half is sort of showing me what is either happening (irradiation) or a 6th sense glimpse into a nuclear blast wiping me if not an entire region. I'm no psychic though and I do attribute all of this to the melatonin.

I did call much earlier today and asked the office about the nightmares and they confirmed what I already read online, that when u start melatonin nightmares are common but die off.

Anyone else had experience with melatonin and nightmares? It's just surreal and I have to keep telling myself as soon as I awake from each nightmare, not to panic cause my heart is racing away until I do tell myself that. Who knows what the next will be like.. until this side effect wares off as they say it usually does.

melatonin does help with dream vividness sometimes, depending to people to people, since body creates it
naturally. But sometimes in truth, I believe melatonin is more of a placebo a effect, I dont think it really
effect us, thats why you see people "abusing" huge amounts of it.

As for me, I really try not to bite into any of these conspiracy nuts too much. I just take it with a grain
of salt at best. You might be taking it to seriously. Effecting your conscious within sleep, its
like placing a hidden thought back there, while you are sleep, itll manifest later.
Like reading something very scary, later it'll appear in your dream.

Also when you grabbed phone for a call, those are FUN, reminds me of "false awakenings"
Can be annoying as well.
had those lots of times, good way to lucid dream .

If your nightmares are taht bad, learn how to become "lucid", and take control of your dreams.
Once you become lucid, create your own world, erase all the bad things. I dont remember last
time I had a nightmare. I remember I used to play a lot of zombie games, these dreams
with zombies never scared me, I always chatted with the zombie "why u chase me",
he give a long story, then I get bored, lop off his head lols.

Maybe change your daily life routines, this will probably help. Include something
more "positive" . Watch cartoons or something. Read a peaceful book. Pickup
a peaceful hobby.

I'm not a fan of prescription grade sleep medicine, not sure why people take them,
Most of the medicines to cancer, now thats a fun one. It even says on
side effects.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join