It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrifying, lucid nightmares galore, from tiny 1g/night Melatonin supplement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Some of you may have read my thread on trouble swallowing, and my paranoia(sp?) or concerns it may have to due with being irradiated here on the West Coast via Fuku drift.

Anyways I saw a doc on Tuesday and my blood pressure was high despite I'm a vegan on low salt. Anyways, its a known issue with me snce I'm such an introvert/recluse that when I do go to town or have meetings, appointments I'm a nervous wreck.

Anyway doc suggested not to prescribe me anything for my insomnia since he don't wanna complicate my existing issues of swallowing troubles as well as the high blood pressure, recommended melatonin. I got it OTC since my lousy insurance doesnt cover rx.

Took it last nite and has a a whole night of nightmares back to backl everytime I was startled and awoke, only to fall asleep into another different nightmare. Anyways I thought it was just a coincidence but a few hours ago I went to sleep and had like 2 nightmares already, just horrible, the last was of my mother lying on the same couch where my brother in real life died just back in August months ago, she said her head hurt and just fainted and we couldnt find a pulse, I awoke to call 911 and I actually didnt realize it was just a dream until I jumped out of bed to grab my phone on the desk, crying.

I'm already forgetting many of the nightmares that were back to back now these past 2 nights, but they involved death, as well as the weirdest one I do remember was I WAS FEEDING MY FISH TANK AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TANK LIT UP LIKE RADIOACTIVE WASTE EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS GLOWING FOR A SECOND THEN I HEARD A PIERCING SOUND THAT JUST BLASTED RIGHT THRU ME DISINTEGRATING AND EVERYTHING WENT PITCH DARK and vaporized and as I realized I was killed, that very moment I jumped up in bed, awake.

I know it's just a nightmare but now part of me is sayin be careful, it might be a premonition I might get shocked to death near water. But the other half is sort of showing me what is either happening (irradiation) or a 6th sense glimpse into a nuclear blast wiping me if not an entire region. I'm no psychic though and I do attribute all of this to the melatonin.

I did call much earlier today and asked the office about the nightmares and they confirmed what I already read online, that when u start melatonin nightmares are common but die off.

Anyone else had experience with melatonin and nightmares? It's just surreal and I have to keep telling myself as soon as I awake from each nightmare, not to panic cause my heart is racing away until I do tell myself that. Who knows what the next will be like.. until this side effect wares off as they say it usually does.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Sorry I wrote all that in a rush at this time of night.. ugggh
I meant 1Mg of course!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

There are good threads on melatonin on ATS, and I actually just posted on one earlier which hadn't been posted on in a year. I'm not a doctor (although I don't play one on TV), but I thought melatonin was only suggested by doctors for those over 45 or so, when the body starts making less of it, or for people with pineal gland problems. Nightmares, the ones you mention seem to be related to your experiences and concerns, and your brain is processing those. Just ride them out, and if you can, become more lucid in the nightmare and face the stuff, and that should change them into better dreams.

Good luck in all of this (from a fellow vegan).
edit on 17-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Wow that was intense! Yes I have had nightmares using melatonin.....have you ever tried Valerian root? Smells like dirty feet in most pills but works much better for me.
Wiki
edit on 17-1-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I've never taken that before so I don't have any experienced info for ya, but IMO I'd find something else because that has got to suck!! I've had my share of nightmares and even had strings of them at times for other reasons and it's not fun. You're going to have to either learn to control your dreams away from having nightmares or change up those meds. Out of those choices it's going to be much easier to find something else for your problem than learning how to control your dream state.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm not a psychistrist by any standards, but as someone who has taken melatonin on and off for about 5 years now, I have found the majority of dreams induced by it is that they are direct reflections of my own personal fears at the time/ what I was thinking about the day before- as they were not always bad ones, only intially when I had to face some stuff because of it. Again, not a psychiatrist, and best of luck my brotha!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hey gardener, sorry to hear about the nightmares. I'm going with what Aleister says ... ride it out.

I had to take some meds and I dreamed in color. I always remembered my dreams in color prior to that ... realized they weren't when they were ... if you know what I mean.

I also remember all the intense ones had death as a theme. That was more than 20 years ago. I can't remember dreams I had two nights ago ... but I remember those.

Good luck ... and I'm just a U2U away if you need privacy with a stranger.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I am totally going to start taking Melatonin now......

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Thorneblood
I am totally going to start taking Melatonin now......

You might just learn how to go super saiyan....just sayin...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I have been taking it and have had no nightmares at all. I guess it's different for everyone.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I've had that reaction. The first time I thought it was a fluke. Tried it again and the same thing happened. I was told to really watch the brand that you take. Instead I just avoided taking it. I don't want to take a prescribed med for sleeping because they're always too strong. Eventually I tried another brand and BINGO; no nightmares. And, it works.
Try a different brand, and or form. I currently take the ones that melt in your mouth. They even taste good.
I can relate with your experiences. Don't give up!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

doesntmakesense
I'm not a psychistrist by any standards, but as someone who has taken melatonin on and off for about 5 years now, I have found the majority of dreams induced by it is that they are direct reflections of my own personal fears at the time/ what I was thinking about the day before- as they were not always bad ones, only intially when I had to face some stuff because of it. Again, not a psychiatrist, and best of luck my brotha!

I tend towards this being closer to the truth.

That these nightmares are a manifestation of the inner psyche of the person.
The medication appears to just facilitate higher probability of dream creation,
while the content of the dreams is personalized based on who we are, so to speak.

Good post Doesntmakesense.

To the OP, as another poster said :
Find Courage and Face the Nightmares Head On
Once resolved, they should dissipate.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

ParanoidAmerican

Wow that was intense! Yes I have had nightmares using melatonin.....have you ever tried Valerian root? Smells like dirty feet in most pills but works much better for me.
Wiki
edit on 17-1-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

Valerian root or its big brother Valium do wonders not only for sleep but for general relaxation. Perfect for anxiety. It helped get my blood pressure down by calming me as well. You may want to ask your doctor. For a month's supply of diazapam for me it is only $5.48/mo (insurance pays the .48). Cheaper than extract but it isn't as natural. Doesn't affect dreams to the extent melatonin does in my case, either. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

to my mind.... by introducing that substance into your body...
the best analogy i can make is that you are just allowing a band of terrorists or a cartel of drug gangs across your border.

i notice you say in your OP:

...they confirmed what I already read online, that when u start melatonin nightmares are common but die off.

see, until you become acclimated to the Melatonin 'street thugs' that ravage your psyche...
even the miniscule dosage will alter your neural networks and nervous system with these Intruders (realized as night-mare scenarios)

hope thing work well for you

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

A little yoga and guided meditation before bed probably wouldn't hurt.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Some people get nightmares from codeine. I don't, just go to sleep and the same with melatonin.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Interesting that you bring this up, I just took melatonin last night for the first time in over a year. Strangely enough I had a unpleasant dream that took place in my hometown of Newport, Oregon. Something catastrophic happened and I saw dead bodies everywhere, there were dead bodies floating out of the bay into the ocean, very intense!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I read your thread about the Radiation. I too have taken melatonin, and yes I have had very lucid dreams and sometimes nightmares. When I took it for a week or so they seemed to lessen some, but if they are that bad for you try something else. There are all kinds of natural sleep aids. I am adding a link for you. Anyway Hope things get better for you. There is nothing worse than a nightmare that once you wake up, you still think is real. Hey, I just thought of something. Sleepy Time Tea Plus is a really soothing option for you, and worked for me. Make sure you get the Extra.

www.webmd.com...

edit on 17-1-2014 by kurthall because: added

www.luckyvitamin.com...
edit on 17-1-2014 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Maybe just don't take the melatonin. Find some alternate solution. Meditation or just a good quality tea.

I wouldn't worry about your dream. It sounds like you already have anxiety issues, and you stated you have fears about Fukashima, it's not a big stretch to think your nightmare is just a reflection of that. I wouldn't suspect it being prophetic in any way.

You'll be alright mate, just try to relax and settle the mind.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, it happened to me! I took it for a few nights, and had the creepiest dreams. One that I remember was going to an eye doctor who did some kind of surgery on my eyes. When I got home and looked in the mirror, my eyes looked scary as hell, because he had chopped out the irises, then stitched them back in, but they were all wonky-looking. When I woke up, I just couldn't shake the creepy feeling all day long.

I was told to stick it out - that the dreams would settle down, but I chickened out and quit taking it. Now I just drink some chamomile tea with a little milk, or on really bad nights I might take a Benedryl - those always put me right out - and no weird dreams.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join