It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is one group of people I hate. Texters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's those who talk on the phone while driving that really annoy me. A small minority of us can talk and drive. Those who can't follow the rules of the road with a phone stuck in their ear need to get off the road entirely. Mostly women.
edit on 1/15/2014 by Spruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It's not just texters! I can't stand when someone takes a call while they are visiting and staying with you. I have family who does this and it irks me to no end. Why are you going to make your way into my house, stay the weekend and then answer the phone next to me and be loud in MY ear while you are suppose to be visiting with me. You can't call the person back later!?? Ugh that annoys me esp if I am watching something. EXCUSE Yourself to another room if you want to be on the phone.

I can't stand people with rude phone etiquette period and lets face it there are a lot of those types out there today. Driving makes me more nervous than it ever did. I see people not their phones while driving and not even paying attention to the road and are all over it.

Technology is making people stupid and lazy. Sure it's a nice advancement but it's making people stupid.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
never had texting. still have a crappy old go phone, it doesnt even have a camera! lol. people think im a freak!

but the worst is when youre having a conversation with a friend and they get a text its like someone put the blinders on them. tunnel vision to there phone in a trance, you keep talking but they dont even hear you.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

She gets two free meals. Why?

Now I hate that sort of gender stereotype.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

mblahnikluver

You can't call the person back later!?? Ugh that annoys me esp if I am watching something. EXCUSE Yourself to another room if you want to be on the phone.

Same could be said if they come to visit you and you are trying to watch something. They did come to see you and your watching TV.

When I visit the parents all tech goes off and we chat for hours, no calls, no texts, no TV. If they want to watch something they record it for later as they see it as rude if I come over and they just watch TV and give grunts and head shakes to convo's / comments made by me or my partner.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

TDawgRex
If I am on a date and my date starts to answer a text, I get up, excuse myself and walk out. I don’t even bother to tell her where I’m going. (Home). And if we’ve already ordered…she’s stuck with the doggy bag as I won’t be there to eat it. Apparently I’m not worth the time to get to know me and as far as I am concerned, I don’t want to get to know her either. But at least she gets two free meals.

My advice to those people who are addicted to their lil friend…It’s a PHONE FOR GODS SAKE! USE IT AS SUCH! Or are you actually afraid to make interpersonal contact with a actual live human being?

Maybe that is the type of woman who doesn't want to get swept of her feet and only changes the way she deals with others after marriage. When the two of you would be at some social setting, she would be probably constantly be talking to others so she would be the social interactive kind of woman. But not while dating and this might be her way of testing.

Whew! I feel better for now, until I get cut off in traffic by another oxygen thieving driver while he/she is texting.

Soon there'll be more of the voice recognition translating them to text messages. But there'll be selfdriving cars also. There are ways to send yourself text messages you know, some simple scripting and you appear more important/populair. It may sound cheap but think about how you can secretly check her out with the webcam because she is thinking you are busy processing the text message. You just have to be patient with women like that to understand you are well underway in dealing with technology and all the changes as most women check to see how you would be as a father, even if they assume it's probably just another date. It's for their own good, they are so busy with society at so many times, being there for so many people you have to observe her because she doesn't have that much time to talk. It might take longer to connect since she constantly switches her attention instead of that one steady line building up or not depending if two are compatible.

I can't imagine walking away would be a good reaction, it should be decided and agreed upon from the beginning of the date whether or not to turn off phones, maybe like going to a place where there is a clear no phone policy.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Texting was behind the UFO crash in ROSWELL.......

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

You left out the annoying jerks that text in the theater, DURING the movie! That sort, I want to strangle! I actually went to a movie, ONCE, with someone that did that. I had to seriously restrain myself from taking the phone from her hands, and hurling it at the wall. Needless to say, I didn't see any more movie, or go anywhere else, with that person!!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

LadyGreenEyes

You left out the annoying jerks that text in the theater, DURING the movie! That sort, I want to strangle! I actually went to a movie, ONCE, with someone that did that. I had to seriously restrain myself from taking the phone from her hands, and hurling it at the wall. Needless to say, I didn't see any more movie, or go anywhere else, with that person!!

Do you conceal carry in theaters? I'm just curious so I know whether or not to go to a theater again since disgruntled old men who hate cell phones can shoot people dead.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

My friends know that when I tell them to stop doing something, they'd best stop. And I expect the same from them.

I have smashed plenty of Phones, CD's and tapes in my life. I am a man of my word.

That said, there are limits. I just don't do it willy-nilly.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Why would you want to go to a theater anyway. For the most part, Hollywood produces crap. And even the ones that are good, you can get for free at your local library within a year and watch from from the comfort of your own home.

Where you can actually pause the movie to answer some dumb@$$ text or phone call.
edit on 16-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spellin'

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Texters ? Thank god. I thought it said Texans. Time for new reading glasses.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

TDawgRex
I’ve come to the conclusion that there is one group of people I hate. Texters. I don’t care what color they are, religion, ideology, what have you. I hate them all equally. They are useless members of society that feed off of supposed self importance.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now if you text while going to or from work on a bus or train, or from the safety of your own home, I’m cool with that.

If I am on a date and my date starts to answer a text, I get up, excuse myself and walk out. I don’t even bother to tell her where I’m going. (Home). And if we’ve already ordered…she’s stuck with the doggy bag as I won’t be there to eat it. Apparently I’m not worth the time to get to know me and as far as I am concerned, I don’t want to get to know her either. But at least she gets two free meals.

My advice to those people who are addicted to their lil friend…It’s a PHONE FOR GODS SAKE! USE IT AS SUCH! Or are you actually afraid to make interpersonal contact with a actual live human being?

Whew! I feel better for now, until I get cut off in traffic by another oxygen thieving driver while he/she is texting.

Okay... Had to chime in. Read something like 20 posts about 'yeah, stop those damned texters' and I'm fed up.

Let us make something perfectly clear here before I go into my rant:

A 'texter' ( as it would seem in this context ) is someone that is so detracted from reality that they are consumed by their cellular device. Consider that actually picking up your phone and 'texting' ( facebook, twitter, pinterest, mail, actual texts... ) is a conscious psychological decision - it is not a subconscious decision or genetic predisposition. While the Reasons someone might pick up their phone may be subconsciously determined ( boredom, self-absorption, addiction... ), it takes a conscious decision to actually perform the task of unlocking your phone, opening an app, and using it.

This being said; as an avid 'texter' myself, I believe it is rather shortsighted to judge someone based on the fact that they made a conscious decision to 'text'.

Let's start with your particular case, where you are on a date and she decided to pick up her phone; one of a few scenarios are likely the case:

1. She had an important text that she had to reply to ( mother is in the hospital, HIV test results, etc. )
2. She is having Such a good time, that she is seeking the approval of her thousand friends. This would likely indicate a self-confidence issue, or a history of poor decisions - but again that's not my place to judge.
3. You are so boring that subconsciously she had decided to entertain herself through some other means; again sub-consciously, she found the option of her phone to be more appealing, and then consciously picked it up to twiddle - odds are that if this is the case, and she didn't have her phone, she would have been folding napkin geese or making water-glass music.

Now - my perspective on the circumstance at hand is limited to the information you provided; and without more information I'd likely say that the second scenario was likely the case, But, my overall point here is that your stigma toward 'texting' could very well be misplaced depending on the context of the 'text'.

I am personally not one to open up my phone at dinner and check my news feed; but if my phone goes off in my pocket at dinner I look at it - if it's something important, relevant, or that I feel my date will 'get a kick out of' - I'll unlock my phone and see what's going on; but it is the mental restraints that I have that limit my 'texting' to these circumstances ( in this situation ) - it is perhaps conceivable that your date lacks said mental restraints and sees no necessity to avoid using her phone. If that's the case - a simple question like 'You gonna share with the class?' might have both clued her into your disliking of her doing it, and possibly alleviated your concern that she is just surfing her news feed.

Walking out on dinner because a girl wanted to post pictures of the setting ( I assume... ) or something, was likely a poor decision, and IMHO very improper and un-gentlemanly. Again IMHO, walking out is rather selfish itself - "I don't like the way this date is going... I'm gonna stick her with my $40 filet mignon, her $35 crab, and the cab ride that she thought I was going to pay for - because I --ASKED HER ON A DATE-- and she wanted her friends approval of the date" ---- Give or take.

Hats off to you for standing up for your morals; I don't feel that whipping your phone out in the middle of dinner to roll through your pinterest is acceptable either, but I wouldn't walk out on a girl because she did. I'd ask her if I'm really that boring; and maybe adjust my own persona.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

TDawgRex
I’ve come to the conclusion that there is one group of people I hate. Texters. I don’t care what color they are, religion, ideology, what have you. I hate them all equally. They are useless members of society that feed off of supposed self importance.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now if you text while going to or from work on a bus or train, or from the safety of your own home, I’m cool with that.

A phone for God's sakes? I don't have one of those. I have a portable digital communications device that just happens to be able to make phone calls.

Edit: After reading the thread, I just have to ask : How fricken old are you people? Is this a Conspiracy forum or a retirement one? Maybe we should just not use phone calls either, and switch back to morse code, or smoke signals. Oh hell, forget that, lets just write letters and send them by horseback or just yell really loud. #getwiththetimes
edit on 17-1-2014 by Anonex because: To add additional content.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonex

I am in my 30's dang, I must be over the hill.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

calstorm
reply to post by Anonex

I am in my 30's dang, I must be over the hill.

I am also in m 30's but guess I was just raised in a different culture. One that embraces technology and is excited every time for the next big thing. I can understand that there is still something to be said for doing stuff ocasionally without technology involved, like a quiet stroll or dinner with family. But that just isn't the world we live in anymore. When google glass comes out and the nerdy factor of it wears off, you anti-tech people are gonna have a stroke.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Man Killed During Argument Over Texting at Movie Theater

MIAMI — An argument over texting at the movies ended in a cellphone user’s death on Monday afternoon when a retired police officer in the audience shot him at a theater near Tampa, Fla., the authorities said.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Anonex
A phone for God's sakes? I don't have one of those. I have a portable digital communications device that just happens to be able to make phone calls.

Edit: After reading the thread, I just have to ask : How fricken old are you people? Is this a Conspiracy forum or a retirement one? Maybe we should just not use phone calls either, and switch back to morse code, or smoke signals. Oh hell, forget that, lets just write letters and send them by horseback or just yell really loud. #getwiththetimes
edit on 17-1-2014 by Anonex because: To add additional content.

I notice you glossed over this part.

TDawgRex

I have no problem with people being a slave to their tech as long as they are doing nothing. I just want people to look up and maybe notice that there is a real world surrounding them. I've seen people walk into poles, parked cars and crash their bicycles while texting. It always gives me a good laugh. Then there are plenty of videos out there that show people having car accidents while texting.

I walked into a pretty crowded bar the other day and noticed that it was eerily quiet. The majority of the patrons all had their noses stuck in their "portable digital communications device". It struck me as weird. Why even go out if that's all you're going to do?

To me, bluetooth or a headset is ok while driving, as long as you have the voice recognition on and dial that way. That's pretty much on par as to have someone in the car with you and having a conversation with them. You can still keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
No disrespect intended to the OP but the thread reminds me of a line from war movies Full Metal Jacket

There is only two types of texters than come from Texas boy...Steers and Queers, which one are you. lol

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This seems like such a petty and insignificant thing to gripe and moan about and waste your energy on, with the exception of the people that text and drive.
There are much more important things happening in the world that deserve your attention than this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join