It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Factory farm cruelty.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm not saying people shouldn't eat meat. Most of the 7 billion people on Earth are going to eat meat no matter what I say.

But the conditions in factory farms are mostly cruel for the animals. Would you want to live in a cage throughout your life? You have eyes and so do these animals.

My suggestion? If you can afford meat that is a product of a less cruel environment please buy there. And please don't tell me how stupid I am. There is cruelty in the meat industry. If you do not agree, you are not a good person. I know what you enlightened meat eaters are going to say. Been there.
edit on 11-1-2014 by droid56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I am a meat eater and I agree.

I try to buy from only those places that do not abuse their animals. I am an animal lover and think that just because the animal is being bred for consumption, it doesn't mean it has to suffer or be abused in the mean time.

I have seen the videos people have taken from inside some of those places and think that the conditions and treatment are deplorable at best.

I know all of the vegetarians still consider it mean to kill animals for food...and I am ok with that. I sleep. But I could not justify purchasing products from places that abuse their animals regardless of why they are raising them.

Most everyone I know feels the same way and everybody I know is a meat eater. I have never known a vegetarian in real life. I think a lot of people may be ignorant as to what occurs in these places, but I do think they still do not want them mistreated. Being a meat eater doesn't automatically make one incapable of caring.

I do wish more people were aware of this so more people could boycott the places participating in it. As it stands there is not a lot of information thrown up on the tv and newspaper daily about what really happens behind closed doors.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't think anyone would disagree with you here. Factory farms are an abomination and a product of humans believing they are somehow superior to other creatures. We are selfish and we mostly turn a blind eye to what we do to our neighbors here on Earth.

You want to know where hell actually is? Go to a factory farm or slaughterhouse and you'll realize hell is right here on Earth, literally.
edit on 3601101CST363 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

My question to all this first starts with humans. Life ends when the heart stops, life starts when the heart starts beating.

So do you agree with abortion? If so delete this thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Hey,that child at the end of the street is being mistreated.Also they didn't have anything to eat today.Or yesterday. In fact they probably haven't had a decent meal their whole life. But you won't bat an eye to that will you? I suppose as long as animals are treated good it's okay. If you look away from that,you're not a good person. Just saying.
edit on 11-1-2014 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Would you say the same to a lion or any other carnivore?

Eating meat is no sin, but forcing animals into factory farms where they live a life far from what nature intended it to be definitely is.

I eat meat and have no conscience about it, but then I grew up on a farm. I have seen the animals, whom by the way would normally get eaten by a predator or starve if they overpopulated their habitat, live good healthy happy and natural lives. These animals would not have a life if we did not farm them as many live in habitats and countries they are not native to.

Basically eating meat is normal, get over it. Factory farming on the other hand is very very cruel and the practice should be banned.

edit on 11-1-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

droid56
I'm not saying people shouldn't eat meat. Most of the 7 billion people on Earth are going to eat meat no matter what I say.

But the conditions in factory farms are mostly cruel for the animals. Would you want to live in a cage throughout your life? You have eyes and so do these animals.

My suggestion? If you can afford meat that is a product of a less cruel environment please buy there. And please don't tell me how stupid I am. There is cruelty in the meat industry. If you do not agree, you are not a good person. I know what you enlightened meat eaters are going to say. Been there.
edit on 11-1-2014 by droid56 because: (no reason given)

The issue is not, whatever some try to argue, about eating meat. I get a craving sometimes for a steak so badly... it makes me salivate.
The issue is killing humanely. With mercy. With dignity. You do not need to torture an animal to kill it for food. You do not need to create an environment where the animals are not only suffering when slaughtered, but suffer prior to slaughter. It has also been proven that other animals know when another animal is being killed, and also know they are about to be killed. It is about humanity in the process.

An option, could be to only purchase and eat Kosher meat. The animal does not exist in horrendous conditions before slaughter, and the animals are killed swiftly and humanely.

No one can suggest to meat eaters - stop eating meat. No one should suggest that anyone who finds factory farms deplorable doesn't care about humans before animals. The deplorable conditions of factory farms are real.
If you are conscious about what meal you order when out, or what is in your freezer for your family, why not be conscious about how it got on the plate?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I agree that the caged animals is really sad and inhumane. I buy organic meat..and yes it sure is costly...but it's worth it to me. I even get the organic milk that's flippin almost 7$ in u.s. Dollars for a gallon. And the cage free brown eggs are actually better. See my son was having tummy problems and when I switched everything to the organic meat and dairy, his tummy got better... So in my eyes that speaks volumes.
Have a great day!!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Hey,that child at the end of the street is being mistreated.Also they didn't have anything to eat today.Or yesterday. In fact they probably haven't had a decent meal their whole life. But you won't bat an eye to that will you? I suppose as long as animals are treated good it's okay. If you look away from that,you're not a good person. Just saying.

Why would you assume such a thing?

I've never understood why standing up for the rights of animals, and hoping that we might end the abuse in any way shape or form means that we don't care about our fellow human beings enough...

Compassion is compassion. I don't see how we can claim to be compassionate if we are capable of compartmentalizing it in this way. We could then go on to say some humans deserve more compassion than others - couldn't we?

The problem with suffering, compassion, and empathy is that it's never ending, and you can't assign a value to any part of it without making all of it meaningless
edit on 1/11/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

U.S. pork producers move to reform factory farm abuses

Conditions on American hog farms may soon become a bit less terrible. Heeding the decades-long call of animal rights activists, the AP reports, two of the country’s largest meat companies announced this week that they’re urging their supplies to reform inhumane practions.

On Wednesday, Tyson Foods sent new animal welfare guidelines to its 3,000 independent hog suppliers, while Smithfield Foods said Tuesday that it’s asking its growers to phase out controversial gestation crates for pregnant sows by 2022.

Many people have been working towards this goal for quite some time

It's beginning to sink in - with real world results

S&F OP
edit on 1/11/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

while Smithfield Foods said Tuesday that it’s asking its growers to phase out controversial gestation crates for pregnant sows by 2022.

By 2022? Really? That's another 8 years. Surely they could get it done faster, but I guess they may as well milk it as long as they can, right?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

By 2022? Really? That's another 8 years. Surely they could get it done faster, but I guess they may as well milk it as long as they can, right?

I honestly don't know what to say except I'm with you on this - not enough, not even close to soon enough

But, I've also been following this movement for a very long time...

I still see this as a victory. Factory farming is about profit - and nothing else. They do what's expedient and ultimately profitable - animal welfare be dammed

The fact that this is even happening at all is a sign that consumers are beginning to vote with their dollars. Protesting alone won't do it. But, protesting and campaigning has finally started to reach people and move the consumer. If enough consumers start buying humanely raised products and stop buying things produced inhumanely - change can and will happen

The more it happens, the faster and more widespread it will be - and before you know it legislation will follow

Cage-free eggs are cheaper now than they used to be - and more available

I read an article recently about a group in Israel actively working towards more humane dairy - the article is so ugly I could barely read it, but - there are people working on this and change will come

Even if it doesn't come fast enough

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Smithfield Foods, Inc. is the largest pork producer and processor in the United States. was bought by the Chinese group Shuanghui. That doesn't bode well for porkers.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
you know what I consider an interesting thought?
If there was less competition as to who can mass produce meat from animals, and we were only allowed to farm naturally, more people would be able to attain a livelihood and less people would struggle for food and money. Because, instead of a one-man millionaire (or, one corporation) supplying a state with meat, for example, many people would individually profit. Animals would be more wholesome and live better lives... and be tastier
mmmmm

(I explain things terribly, but I'm sure you get my meaning)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I love my meat. And I am particularly fond of bacon.

But, I do feel that we eat entirely too much meat as westerners. I believe we should take a far more Asian approach where meat is a flavoring of the dish...not the spotlight. No more meat than any one particular vegetable.

As to farm factories, they disgust me. What we have done to swine, cattle, and chicken is flat out sickening. Cows with so much antibiotics in their system the level of white blood cells (puss) in milk is absurd. Pigs that quite simply need an IBM style clean room to live. Chicken with breasts so huge, they can hardly stand up straight let alone walk.

On top of all of this, you have folks hunting. Personally, considering what we have done to these three types of animals all ready, the idea of going out and shooting and killing a creature that has somehow managed to live alongside the abomination known as man....is just sad. If you need to hunt to feed you and your family, fine. But use all of the damned animal in anyway possible. Yes, I understand that there are certain animals that do require crowd control. And I do realize hunting is necessary. But I'm talking about the jaggoffs that do it "for the hunt". Just sickening.

And, here's another fun little fact.......in areas where we have to go and do crowd control of certain animals....wolves...feral hogs...deer....etc....and rather than collecting the carcasses, they simply dump them. We could be using them to feed the homeless. But no. Dump them. Pass me another burger....

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Also, if you do a little searching online, almost everywhere you can find farms that specifically raise animals in a humane manner. They feed them well, allow them to have at least *something* of a life, and like people to come and visit to inspect and see how the farms raise their animals.

It's expensive. There's no two ways around it. But, there *are* alternatives to factory farms. And, if you adopt a less meat diet like I proposed a moment ago, you won't be spending as much.

new topics

top topics

join