It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry - even at home.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Let me clarify, I'm not advocating killing anyone. I'm talking about stopping someone in their tracks from commiting a violent crime!
If they die, they die.
edit on 10/1/14 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

No offense but youve had years and years of training, and that makes you qualified? What about legally? Can you? Do you have a permit? Would you be illegally carrying without a permit because of your years of training?

Qualified with experience and legally able...trained and certified...are vastly different things.

Im just curious...no meaning to insult....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

justreleased

DocScurlock
reply to post by justreleased

Hey look guys, its the toughest guy I have ever read about on the internet!!!

so can most of us, thats why criminals use guns to get the upper hand. Talk about thick......

What makes you think I don't own a weapon?

All I said is most of the time I don't carry. I sure don't carry a weapon while in my home.

You want to find out how tough I am, boy?

??? How do you expect me to find out how "tough" you are. Anyway, either your trolling or you actually are this dense, either way I am done here.

Back on topic, To each there own, We should all be able to carry all the time whenever we want. Basic human freedoms have been whittled away for years and its getting to the point were freedom is being defined for us by those that actively choose to oppress. We all have the responsibility to define freedom for our selfs. It seem that "We The People" have shirked our responsibilities and are now paying for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Google God Violet, get a gun, and learn to use it for your own sake!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Great attitude.

I will now stop this moronic debate.

If anyone wishes to read the previous posts then I feel my point has been made.

People who carry weapons are typically underprepared, violent and undereducated.

have a great weekend.
lol
edit on Mon Jan 13 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Been visiting US since '76, NJ, SC, NC, Ga, FL, PA, AL, NY City & State.

Not once have I seen a gun drawn in 'anger' let alone pointed or fired at anyone in that time. Unless of course you point me towards the almost daily media coverage of shootings, take downs and the like.

By no means would I deny you your Constitutional right to bear arms, although I am not too sure about the need for assault rifles and such. I have stayed in enough homes in the US where people have either held weapons without CC permit and last summer a home where an ex SF guy and son had CC permits and wife had basic permit. I myself used to belong to a gun club in the UK before the likes of Dunblane etc. took away private firearms for good. I am satisfied that I am safe around weapons having fired .22LR through .38, 9mm, .357Mag. and .45 plus .410 & 12 Bore shotguns and a bit of 762 on a military range, having shot civilian range in UK & US. That should qualify a Brit civilian to speak about firearms in the US.

I am satisfied that in the hands of a sane member of society a weapon is relatively safe. I would rather be around people who are capable and able to defend themselves from the crazies that do unfortunately prey upon the weaker elements of your society. I agree wholeheartedly that the sound of a shotgun being racked is one of the finest deterents available to the law abiding homeowner.

CCW has it's own particular responsibilities, frankly there is no point in CCW unless you are prepared to take someone's life as it's no good just threatening you must be prepared to pull the trigger to save life, and that means probably taking life. Now that is an awesome responsibility whether outdoors or at home and is not something I would wish to be worrying too much about if I was taking a proverbial bead on a burglar, robber, rapist, terrorist whatever. If you pull it you better be prepared to use it, first, or what are you doing with the weapon in the first place, waving it as a deterent? Won't work with a meth fuelled crazy with a gun or knife I can assure you. And if you are intent on playing Walker Texas Ranger or Dirty Harry with these pervs you better make sure you have .45 as a minimum (as per Law Enforcement in NY & NYS) - I have a relative who is a cop in NY State so am aware of the reasons for move from 9mm to .45 ACP and agree with it wholeheartedly.

I won't fall into the trap of arguing for or against more effective gun control, as far as I am concerned there will always be those able to obtain illegal weapons, and as long as there is money to be made the market will be supplied. It is impossible to seal your borders be they land, sea or air, fast parcels or air dropped by aliens visiting from another galaxy!

Trouble is, I don't have an answer to your gun problems and I'm not sure anyone on your side of the pond does either.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Shuftystick because: Amended and cleared bloody predictive text, damn modern technology!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

justreleased
reply to post by CeeRZ

I feel sad for you if you feel the need to carry a gun/weapon in order to feel safe.

It is your right but.....whatever. Some people are thick.

Incredibly ignorant statement on your behalf.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Okay it happens but how often and how often is there an underlying reason? (drugs, gang affiliation, etc.)

My first comment meant it's sad if you feel the need to walk around in your own home carrying a weapon.

If you live that way then so be it. Knock yourself out.

Peace. See you all next week.

(be sure to load your gun the weekend is coming.
)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Each and every person has their own reason to carry a weapon on them. You can belittle and mock all you want... and then the day you have a reason to carry a weapon, and all you have is your phone, you will understand.

I was attacked in my own car... and that is when I decided to purchase my first gun. It will never happen again.
I live in one of the safest cities in Utah, which is one of the safest states in the entire country - and yet I still have multiple reasons to carry.

Just two months ago, I was with my brother (who is 6'4 and Special Forces), and we had a guy follow us out to our car - the guy had his hood down, face lowered, hands in pockets, and very very obviously up to no good. And when I nonchalantly pulled my shirt to where the outline of my gun was obvious, he turned around and walked away. We sat in the parking lot on the phone with the police and watched him look into cars and try to break into a couple of them. He then started walking towards two young women. The police hadn't shown up yet, so I got out of my car and yelled at the guy. He took off - right to the police pulling in.
Just because I have a gun doesn't mean I plan on using deadly force - but it is definitely a lovely deterrent.

Another instance - Last month. My job hires and fires people on a seasonal basis due to health insurance ups and downs. We had a bomb and gun threat here at work after they did their major layoffs. There are no weapons allowed in the building - but I had told my managers months ago that I carry, and they gave me permission to keep it with me. The day of the threat, they gave us the option to stay and work or go home early - I had three people tell me the only reason they didn't leave work is because they knew I had my gun on me. Nothing happened, thankfully, but the peace of mind was enough for others to feel ok at work.

Another instance - last year - I was driving home on the freeway when I guy started following me. Yelling at me to pull over. Saying I was hot and he wanted to f*ck me. I was nearing my exit and had to get off. So instead of going home, I went to a public parking lot and the guy pulled up next to me. He was swearing at me and calling me names because I had tried to ignore him on the freeway. I told him I had a gun and he needed to drive away. He glared at me and said I was a "F*ing liar". I told him it was his balls on the line if he wanted to test that fact. He drove away.

And then last nights little instance. Do I think the guy left my house alone because I carry? No. I think he left my house because my lights were on and my door was locked. Would he have had a really bad day had he decided to break in anyway? Yes.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

You can belittle and mock all you want...

Never did I mean any of my comments , one of my comments, to belittle or mock any member.

My opinion is what it is. I served in the military and saw people die, it's tough. If I killed a person is my business.

If I offended I'm sorry. Please think if you carry a weapon it is a big responsibility. You have the right to protect yourself but know how to use the weapon.

Always remember the other guy may have a gun. If you pull it be prepared to fire. If you fire be prepared to kill.

Your choice.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There had been several break ins on the South Side of Oklahoma, City.. fortunately during the day when most people in the up scale neighborhood were at work. My father and I had discussed what was going on... He was 65 or 70 (? been awhile ago) and his eyes were getting terrible so I told him it was getting time when a pistol and he did not mix. He had an old single shot 16 gauge shotgun that had been mine when I was a kid which we both figured would be better than nothing if "00" buckshot were used. He placed the shotgun next to his recliner.....
Dad spent many hours in his living room recliner reading with his coke bottle reading glasses and a good light; the room was open to the front door of his house.. One day around 1400hrs there was a knock. Dad, like the op, figured it was some solicitor he did not want to deal with.. A few minutes later someone hit his door with a body slam which almost unhinged the door. By the second slam the whole door facing gave way..

By the second slam dad had pulled the 16 gage up and was aiming it at the front door. A very large individual came crashing into the house and as the perp regained his balance he was looking down the barrel of the 16 gage.. Dad hollered, screamed, rather loudly (probably with profanity) ...... the intruder turned around and ran to a car out front driven by the perps girl friend. The duo were captured later due to Dad's description of the car and perp. No shots were fired but I can guarantee there would have been if the perp would have continued inside.. Of course the rap sheet of the perp was rather long for he had been in and out of trouble since a young age..

I have band aids in my house because one day someone may need one. I even have a medical kit in my car because myself or someone on the road may need Emergency Medical assistance from someone like me until a trained professional gets there.

As far as I am concerned those who chose to protect their family by being armed have chosen to do so for a reason..

The Doctor, Wife, and two teenage daughters that had the home invasion by the two perps who were armed comes to mind. Wonderful story of how they raped the daughters (one was 11 years old) in front of the Doctor tied to a chair, killed his wife and set fire to the house even though the wife had gone to the bank in compliance to get $15,000 ransom money...
"Hey we do what they say and everything will be alright"...

Crime does not touch most families in America but when it does it can be heinously severe and it can be to late to call the cops.. A normal family lost their lives because they were unable to stop and protect themselves..

Personally I think many people are one mugging, house break in, short of taking responsibility for their own safety... Natural selection ? I have gotten to the point I really don't care what anyone thinks or does to protect themselves and family; their choice, their responsibility.

From a web sight (first one I googled) Armed-citizens.com

NRA Country superstar Craig Morgan was whitetail hunting when he received a terrifying phone call— his daughter’s home was invaded. Luckily, Morgan had taught her well. “My daughter was smart enough to go in her bedroom and lock herself in, and she had a pistol, so she was waiting if he came through,” Morgan explained. Rather than face an armed citizen, the man fled the home. “I’m grateful that we live in a country where we as citizens have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves,” Morgan said. “God bless the U.S.A.” (www.nracountry.com, 06/29/11)

Already on edge following a burglary that occurred just days prior, Omar Medina was awakened by loud noises coming from somewhere inside his home. He quickly retrieved his handgun and stepped out into the hallway. An intruder was in the living room. Medina fired three shots. The intruder grunted loudly, ran out the door, collapsed and died. Police say the man had an extensive criminal record and was a suspect in other burglaries. (The Item, Sumter, S.C., 05/28/11)

Peggy Melton returned home unaware that a man and woman were in the act of burglarizing the residence. As she entered a bedroom, she discovered the male intruder, who possessed a gun illegally. He threatened to shoot her. Fortunately, Melton has a concealed-carry permit and had holstered a handgun earlier that day. She drew the gun and fired three shots, striking the burglar. He ran from the home and his accomplice sped them away in a stolen truck. Police caught up with the suspects and took them into custody. (News-Leader, Springfield, Mo., 06/23/11)

How’s this for a bold, criminal act? A thief who burglarized a residence and stole the homeowner’s Lexus returned in the stolen ride intent on further burglary. He broke into the home, perhaps knowing the owners were out of town. What he surely didn’t know was that their son was house-sitting and armed with a shotgun. When the son heard the suspect enter the home, he took up his shotgun and confronted him. The intruder cursed and reached toward his back as if to draw a weapon. The son shot the intruder three times, killing him. Neighbors say the area, home to many military retirees, has been hit hard by burglars, and residents have armed themselves in response. “I don’t feel scared, I feel violated,” said neighbor Mary Gramm. “I have a gun.” (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, Texas, 05/23/11)

"I can protect my self"! .... Women can in movies, but usually they end up on the short end of the rope if it is a strength battle with a man.
12 year old girl home alone during break in

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with what you're saying, and allot of carry-designed handguns with no safety mechanism actually have a heavy double action trigger, which reduces the chances of a negligent discharge, to a point. The thing is though, a safety mechanism is not a replacement for being informed on how to safely handle and operate a firearm. I was fortunate to have been brought up around them and I've never came close to an ND.

Personally, I would be talking about gun safety and go over the ten gun commandments (for others who may not have seen them) way before I would ever hand over any gun to someone that I knew wasn't familiar with them. I think the best thing you can do is take that person to the range with you and go step by step with them and lead by example (e.g. always handing them a handgun with the slide locked back and mag out, show them how to clear it properly every time, muzzle awareness, etc..)

That might sound kind of preachy but it's for good reason and If they aren't willing to listen or take it seriously, then I'd tell them to maybe look into knives instead.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I agree completely..

I don't know anything about guns and have had no desire to get one, but society has changed and I can see why people want to carry in their homes if they know how to safely use and store one.

One problem with too many people being armed, some of them could become a drug addict, mentally unstable or any other situation that changes them to become hostile, and they have guns. They can become the type of person they were trying to defend themselves against.

There's pros and cons with too many gun owners being out there.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
me i carry a ka bar in my home. i sleep with my rifle next to me, bayonet ready to fix. i don't care how many intruders come into my house they'll be on the business end of a four edged bayonet, be it a man after my t.v. or richard ramirez with a hard on for trouble

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

justreleased

Wow.

You know what worries me if tshtf is not the 'criminals' it's the "Law Abiding Citizens".

Every gun wielding idiot in town will be shooting at every other untrained or under trained moron with a gun.

People need to understand that owning a firearm doesn't mean you know how to use the weapon. (again I roll my eyes and chuckle.)

This is about a home invasion and self defense, not a full scale revolt......so why are you fantasizing?

Why on earth would tshtf?

Are you feeling as though there might be something wrong, in general, with the crafted soudbytes, of obama, and the sub rosa actions, of our hidden government?

ie;, "WE ARE A NATION OF LAW!' spoken by obama, in ominous, measured even tones, as we are subliminally prepped to receive an onslaught of totalitarian control, while teetering on the brink of economic crisis, all promises broken, reversed, as 'change,' in the new amerika seems to be a 1 way street?

Are you trying to warn us that this whole crew is really just another stage of the Bush Mark 2 rocket, in blackface, or something? It's not easy to understand what you are getting at.

And all these highly trained, state sponsored quota driven prison planet militarized thugs...are these the ones you feel comfortable with, because there is no defending against them, and therefore, when they come crashing through your door, at least you will feel comfortable in your renouncement? But, hey, at least they're 'trained'.....?

They listen to everything we do. We don't even know where this one is from.

They have drones. Satellites. Entire rivers dedicated to cooling their hell cache in Utah. Oh, and they're trained all right. When the order comes in, from that Johnny Utah there, there'll be no running. Not from a drone.

What could go wrong?

Lastly, as far as your last statement, I think it's safe to assume that an armed thug knows how to use a firearm. It is like their toolbox, their livelihood.

Are you concerned that the OP hasn't sufficient training to have a gun? I dunno. That's her business, no? I'm sure she'll figure it out without your guidance. It sounds like you just want to confiscate her defense tools, by revoking our rights.

English, right?

# 123
edit on 10-1-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Everything is a lethal weapon, with the right mindset and attitude.

I have more than 400 lethal weapons within 10' of my desk here at home, and I don't own a gun.

I'm not against them though. Carry what you need to carry to feel as safe as you need to feel. Just don't let your weapon of choice give you a false sense of security.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I carry my weapon when I'm outside the home (and not at the campus of course) but I can't see carrying it with me at home?

When I'm home I used to carry at work (not any more, the torch has been passed!) and there are sidearms scattered around the house. Generally in fairly surprising places. Unless you pop in the door and shoot me straight off, I'll likely get to one.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't carry at home.

But i have two hidden guns one next to where i watch TV and my internet computer.

And one next to my bed.

I live in a RV so i have a little more warning if someone is breaking in.

Would i shoot someone breaking in, yes. I see it as a public service putting out of service a criminal that does not have the brains not to break into a home that might have some one in it.

I know how to shoot as a Vietnam vet and ex federal security officer.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
As the boyscouts of old taught... Always Be Prepared. And the modern mentality that needs a comeback. Better to need and have than need and not have and be dead.

Lock and load.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

After reading your story I wish I could ask some questions, however, because most people these days are soft and lead with a feeling based persona I do not think I can, so as not to offend or be presented with false answers.

However, I will list the questions I wished I could ask just because. YOU DO NOT have to answer them. They are merely thoughts out loud.

1) So, are you and your husband overweight at all? Either of you?
2) And do either of you suffer from bullied childhoods or abusive parents?
3) Technically, do you work manual jobs for hourly wages ? Or salary paid?
4) Additionally, have either of you been employed in the Security arena?
5) Now, do either of you have any respiratory or mobility issues?
6) If at all possible can you describe how a gun makes you feel?
7) Can your need to carry be a symptomatic psychological issue?

I would like to express my sincere wishes that you never need to use your weapon in your own home!

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by projectbane because: SPELLING

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join