It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They knew it all along: Shape and size of Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
In the end of the Apocalypse of John we are shown the decent of what I will refer to as Kubus Kristi: The New Jerusalem. It's dimentions are given to be a cube measuring 12,000 x 12,000 x 12,000 stades, an ancient measure of length. That makes Kubus Kristi more or less precisely 1/21st the circumference of the Earth if we use Eratosthenes calculation of Earth's circumference.

The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. He measured its wall and it was 144 cubits thick, by man's measurement, which the angel was using.
Revelation 21:16f NIV

As commonly claimed, the Church taught that the Earth was flat, had four corners and was the center of the universe. But reading The Apocalypse of John, it seems to me the Church overlooked the shape and dimentions of the Earth hidden between the lines of John's masterpiece. It looks to me that Revelation bases the dimentions of Kubus Kristi on the rather exact measurments of the second century B.C. Greek mathmatician, geographer (he basically invented geography), poet, astronomer, and music theorist, Eratosthenes of Cyrene (c. 276 BC – c. 195/194 BC), who calculated the circumference of the Earth quite precisely, missing by a mere 66km. He was also the chief librarian at the Library of Alexandria:

His knowledge of the size of Egypt after many generations of surveying trips for the Pharaonic bookkeepers gave a distance between the cities of 5,000 stadia. This distance was corroborated by inquiring about the time that it took to travel from Syene to Alexandria by camel. He rounded the result to a final value of 700 stadia per degree, which implies a circumference of 252,000 stadia (...) If we repeat Erathostenes' calculation with more accurate data, the result is 40,074 km, which is 66 kms different (0.16%) from the currently accepted circumference of the earth.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Have those numbers in mind and take a look at the drawing I made below, where I have drawn in The New Jerusalem on a globe, making the Kubus Kristi exactly 1/21th of the Earth's circumference:

Looks to me that Revelation actually takes use of Eratosthenes' calculations, and a more precise geometric base-10 system of 400° instead of the base-60 system of 360° -- which gives 630 stadia per arc-degree instead of 700 stadia per arc-degree in base-60. Thus, a straight angle is 100° instead of 90°. However, another possibility is that the whole Revelation uses an even more precise base-12 system, giving a 480° circle, 120° straight angles and 525 stadia per arc-degree if we convert Eratosthenes assumptions into the given base-system. Using a base-12 system in geometry (and astronomy) has many advantages compared to our current mixed base-10 and base-60 system, combining the strengths of the two, while eliminating many problems native to the former two systems.

What do you guys think?
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Added birth and death for Eratosthenes

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Deleted the part about the stadium having varied in length. Irrelevant.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Typos

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I read that the notion that the earth was flat originated by the Spanish about 500 or so AD. It was round before they forced their beliefs on everyone they conquered. It was just a way of suppressing and controlling people. Have a bunch of so called experts telling everyone that they were misled in the past.

Not everyone bowed down to this brainwashing campaign. People accepted it as real because it was forced on them. It spread through most of the kingdoms of Europe and Asia over the centuries. Everyone was led to believe in a lie.

Look at the first page of the Jewish bible. Look at some ancient depictions. People knew the world was round, not just flat. But they were led to believe otherwise.

I do not know about whether people believed that the sun rotated around the earth. I have read nothing to show that was any different than history says it was. They did know the orbit of the moon well though. I kind of think they may have known that something was happening, and I think some people suspected that the earth rotated around the sun early on. If they said anything they would have been discredited though.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If the earth were actually a perfect sphere, I would be inclined to grant your theory credence. The fact is, the earth is more egg-shaped than anything else. But no one's going to remember that just by reading this thread, so I'm putting it here:

THE EARTH IS NOT A PERFECT SPHERE

...which basically invalidates the theory.
edit on 10-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
If the earth were actually a perfect sphere, I would be inclined to grant your theory credence. The fact is, the earth is more egg-shaped than anything else.

That thought did cross my mind

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Utnapisjtim

New Jerusalem has always fascinated me along with the specified dimensions of other things in the bible, I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, "Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers.

Good stuff,Utnapisjtim, looking forward to more.
edit on 103131p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Maybe, but a few centuries later the Moors came with their love of knowledge, so if the doctrine originated in 500 A.D. Spain, the Spaniards soon got better knowledge, and I would rather put the blame directly on the Church and their quest of turning their Biblical canon into the Infallable Word of God. The four arcs of the compass rose (N, E, S & W) a.k.a. 'the four corners of the sky' became four corners of Earth, and claiming otherwise might have had you burned. Ironic.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: added info

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Syntax

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
If the earth were actually a perfect sphere, I would be inclined to grant your theory credence. The fact is, the earth is more egg-shaped than anything else.

The difference in Earth diameter N-S contra E-W are based on modern exact measures (the Earth is wider around Equator), but it is completely irrelevant in this case-- since i am refering to Eratosthenes and his 2nd century B.C. measures. You do have a point though.

Anyway, I am trying to suggest that John knew about and used Eratosthenes and his measures. 12,000/252,000=21 -- Thus knowing the Earth was a globe.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Typo and syntax

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Added timeframe and conclusion

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: added 'completely irrelevant'

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

rickymouse
Have a bunch of so called experts telling everyone that they were misled in the past.

Not everyone bowed down to this brainwashing campaign. People accepted it as real because it was forced on them. It spread through most of the kingdoms of Europe and Asia over the centuries. Everyone was led to believe in a lie.

Sounds exactly like what we're dealing with today. If you don't believe in the Big Bang or Evolution you're basically shunned and called stupid by the rest of society.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yes, the church did adopt this and enforced it.

Society has been conditioned well. The people running this are good at what they do. Parroting is promoted and rewarded.
edit on 10-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Bone75

rickymouse
Have a bunch of so called experts telling everyone that they were misled in the past.

Sounds exactly like what we're dealing with today. If you don't believe in the Big Bang or Evolution you're basically shunned and called stupid by the rest of society.

These ancient methods don't change, only the content.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

rickymouse

Yes, the church did adopt this and enforced it.

Actually, the Church based their world view on Aristotle's cosmology, which is not equal to flat Earth. Found a good page on the subject, explaining this and also brings in an important reminder that things are different today:

Clearly, theism has shown some flexibility in integrating its doctrines with prevailing scientific worldviews—as evidenced, e.g., in the integration of Aristotelian cosmology, and in the exploitation of big-bang cosmology.
Source: plato.stanford.edu...
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Typos and missing word

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
If the earth were actually a perfect sphere, I would be inclined to grant your theory credence. The fact is, the earth is more egg-shaped than anything else. But no one's going to remember that just by reading this thread, so I'm putting it here:

THE EARTH IS NOT A PERFECT SPHERE

...which basically invalidates the theory.
edit on 10-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

The earth is a perfect sphere when you add the water, it self levels.

Onto the OP, how old is the oldest globe of earth? Answer that and you have got something.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

The fact is, the earth is more egg-shaped than anything else.

I'd like to know more about that fact.

The Earth has an equatorial bulge of 42.72 km (26.54 mi): that is, its diameter measured across the equatorial plane (12,756.28 km (7,926.38 mi)) is 42.72 km more than that measured between the poles (12,713.56 km (7,899.84 mi))

en.wikipedia.org...

That little difference qualifies as "egg-shaped"?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

rickymouse

Bone75

rickymouse

These ancient methods don't change, only the content.

Exactly. And a thousand years from now it'll be today's scientists that will be regarded as liars who were simply pushing an agenda.

Interesting topic OP. Especially considering that 21 is a multiple of 7.
777 in fact. Isn't 777 considered the number of God?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It surprises me that the New Jerusalem needs a wall 144 cubits thick. It hardly seems to be a free place to live with walls like that. Why is it supposed to need walls at all?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Actually, the enormous size of the Kubus Kristi, it reaches so far into space that we will have to pull it down from the Sky and anchor it to the Earth. It will definively influence Earth axis, spin and possibly orbit when it is brought down. Also it is so big that eventhough it is a perfect cube, the walls will appear to cave inwards since each side equals more than 17 astronomical arc-degrees and at such distances up is no longer up, since the Earth is a sphere and gravity moves towards the origo in the center of the planet. Standing straight in front of it you will not be able to see the ends of it, just a massive, gilded Jasper wall stretching up through the clouds and towards the ends of your eyes' perception. Kinda neat.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: typos

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Shiloh7

It surprises me that the New Jerusalem needs a wall 144 cubits thick. It hardly seems to be a free place to live with walls like that. Why is it supposed to need walls at all?

A structure roughly 2,400 km tall makes it astronomical. 144 cubits is about 72 meters. Some might say it's a daring measure. How much does such a city weigh? It's astronomical!

Besides, reading the former 20 chapters of John's riddled book-- it seems Kubus Kristi will be our way out of Hell, after the Earth will eventually become uninhabitable for quite a while. Giant lava seas, burning mountains tumbling to the ground... Perhaps the Kubus Kristi will be a necessity for life to survive here. Also, with a structure like that working as a spaceport in zero gravity it's a perfect take-off landing pod for space travellers, and the varying gravity of the city's full height, it allows extra terrestrials to acclimate and get used to being heavier and rebuild the muscles.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Added the whole last §

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Critical and a minor typo

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That the Church taught that the Earth was flat is a Nineteenth Century hoax.

The rather mundane fact is that most educated Christian writers accepted Greco-Roman teachings about the earth and cosmos and quickly moved on to more urgent matters of sin and salvation. No Christian authority of any consequence ever taught that the earth was flat. (Source)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

adjensen
That the Church taught that the Earth was flat is a Nineteenth Century hoax.

Though I may have contributed to such myth, I made it clear the common mantra of the Church has been that of Aristotle's cosmology in a former post in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW: what's the deal with the smileys changing colour every time one posts?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Bone75

Interesting topic OP. Especially considering that 21 is a multiple of 7.
777 in fact. Isn't 777 considered the number of God?

Thanx
And yes, the numerology is essencial here. The combination of base-10 and base-60 is what the whole number of the beast is all about. The Kubus Kristi however is a base-12 cube. Standing on a corner of this platform will be quite a view. Jump off and you'll float into space, and down below is a white, fiery and blue circle of the ice and the sea and the Lake of Fire taking over along the horizon. The Dragon diving into Hell at a distance like he was swimming in water. Fire is the stuff dragons are made of. Damn, didn't get rid of him this time around either. Crap!
edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Logical breach

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Added the part about the Kubus being base-12 cube

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join