It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency in West Virgina - Chemical spill (affecting 9 counties).

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

I work with coal in my side job, but I am not certain because it's cleaned when it arrives. I know it is used in the cleaning process. It is flammable, I know that much.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

That has been one of my concerns. I mean there are small ramshackle towns in the middle of nowhere and I doubt they are aware of what's going on. I hope they are on well water.

I doubt the guard or FEMA will seek them out. Even though they are helping it's always 50 percent show. They don't really dig in. They hand out in populated areas.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Yeah.. I didn't just mean any locals. There are a lot of activist groups in WV. Probably more than most states. Also I would probably have gone with firefighters as my first choice.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Maybe some people can ban together and go check on them? What about fish and other wildlife. How are they doing?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Considering all of the wildlife/nature/mountaintop removal activists in W.V. I would say they will be looking into that. I hope it doesn't have a huge effect, but my bet would be a lot of wildlife sick/dying. Consider deer also likely drink from this river.

It's just a mess, between chemical spills, oil spills, radiation, and fracking we are killing this planet fast.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Ok have read the entire thread now. What my first thought when hearing about this was for the ground water contamination which includes private wells, then the wildlife and fish in the surrounding lakes, rivers and streams, and most especially infants and children who consumed prior to the warnings. The frail elderly, immune compromised individuals also are of grave concern.

This reeks of the same kind of coverup after the BP disaster which still continues to this day to create health problems as well as lasting and deadly effects on all ocean life.

This is a bad one. I will be reading and hope to hear good news from your friends who were exposed.

One more thing, as we have all known for the past several months, FEMA Region lll has been on some kind of standby alert status which was viral on every conspiracy site, Youtube and countless blogs. About the time everyone put down their guard, this happens in that very region with the same outcome expected and logistical teams called in including the NG.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Haha.. my conspiracy side that i keep well in check made a slight peep about it being an excuse to move fema and national guard in, but i dismissed it as absurd.

I don't believe that, but it's food for thought for people that do.

I will keep an update on my exposed friends. I am concerned about the people that made coffee and drink quite a bit because the flavor was masked. The water was reported as stinking like licorice, tasting like cough syrup, and to those closest to the source it had an obvious green tent. I know of one girl that used it in her coffee.

People are already experiencing symptoms.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Yea I don't see a thing about wildlife at this point. Just people guessing. I imagine they will crawl away, suffer, and die only to be found later. Unless they smell it and their instinct tells them to not drink. If you hear anything I'm sure you'll let us know. Thanks for the first hand accounts.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Am looking for how to clean it up and to filter, but as you have already discovered far too little has been reported publicly on this.

One interesting link is here, although does not have any real or helpful information for the people exposed or thinking that water wells are safe. I would not trust it because even cow poop can contaminate past the roubidoux. (sp):
www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

On the CT line of thinking I was leaning more towards them having known about this leak and knew it was only a matter of time before the cat was out of the bag. As volatile as it is with the flammability, this could still be something very dangerously explosive in pockets.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

gardener
s&F

whose fault is it?

Obamas of course?

edit on 11-1-2014 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I've seen some mention they knew it was leaking before but did nothing. This is entirely possible. Its happened before so it will be something I'm sure is investigated in full. If it's been going on for awhile a hundred thousand people will need to be evaluated for long term health effects. All children born during the leak period will need to be evaluated for years, to ascertain whether it has implications if exposed during pregnancy. It will be a nightmare if this has been an ongoing problem. Let's all hope it was a sudden break for those in that area.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
But how can it happen..?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Most of my family works in either water (my dad has a higher position at a water facility - don't want to get too specific), or on the barges. One of my uncle worked most his life on the barges (actually almost died after being thrown off a barge into freezing water).

So hopefully between them I can share some good info with everyone following.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Apparently the company that is at fault hasn't been answering the local media or even water dept inquiries. I am sure there are a lot of back door conversations going on. Stuff like "how can we downplay this?"

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

rayuki
reply to post by gardener

gardener
s&F

whose fault is it?

Obamas of course?

edit on 11-1-2014 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

Haha naturally I don't believe it (though I do think Obama is a garbage president), BUT I could technically make it Obamas fault. All i'd have to do is point out that Obama's attack on the coal industry caused layoffs (which is fact - several men I worked with were laid off just this week). They worked loading barges with coal.

So one could say that Obama's attack on the coal industry created cut backs which lead to the containment wall falling into disrepair. 2 million in repairs is a lot whenever you are having to fire people to save money.

So you could indirectly say Obama's fault haha.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

You would not BELIEVE they kinda stuff these corporations get away with in WV. My brother participated in a mock trial put on by Monsanto to see if they had a chance at winning their case or if they should just settle.

They presented themself as a small family business to the jury. They said that they had new owners and because of that they shouldn't be held accountable for exposing an entire town to a dangerous chemical a few decades ago.

It's just so bad here/there.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Well that was why the whole BP thing came to mind first. It all comes down to protecting the global superiors who grease the wheels of so much more than just this company and their failure. I wonder if there have been any major shifts in the higher ups in the company? CEOs retiring prior to this event and new ones brought in? I sense this was happening long before the big spill. perhaps a dribble where they kept their finger in the dike until it finally flooded.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

And no they wouldn't answer at this point, the minions of attorneys will do that for them after all the handshakes and clean up contracts are prepared and locked in. This is going to be big business.

Edit to large and I mean LARGE quantities of sand need to have been brought in immediately, also certain chemicals are known to dissipate the effects right? This is a mess and I fear they will ok the usage of the water way before it is really safe. Obama will step in and make arrangements like he did in BP and exonerate the guilty.
edit on am131amSun, 12 Jan 2014 09:28:37 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just stopping for a minute, are there any updates on the relief efforts for the over 1/4 million people affected? Any word from your friends? What are the local hospitals like? be worth spending a few minutes sitting in the ER to check things out. I am more than worried.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join