It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency in West Virgina - Chemical spill (affecting 9 counties).

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Good links to the data on risks.
Just a wee bit more than an irritant by the looks of things!
Where is the accountability in all this?
The only person I have seen Worldwide to accept any freakin' responsibility for anything in a couple of decades of political garbage and claptrap plus political correctness gone wild is the N.J. State Governor over the G.W. Bridge fiasco.
If that pile of crap is resilient infrastructure, that's the I.T. not the bridge, then heaven help you when it comes to on-line extremeists, you better hope that you have some good hackers on your side!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

The original report from wsaz which is based out of Charleston said 4-methylcyclohexanol Methanol. I trust them over national media because they would have been there to talk to the people who spilled it.

Thanks for all the info.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The issue here is that we have all of these dangerous chemicals around and no safe way to transport, process, dispose of or contain and when accidents do happen it's like keystone cops trying to clean it up. NO plans. Then...and this is the kicker...the government will lie to us and tell us everything is safe. Only a few years later when there is a rather large cancer cluster or worse in those areas, will we know the truth and even that information will be repressed. Man these boards are depressing me today. I need to step away!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
UPDATE

As I suspected the original numbers were wrong. Rather than 2-5 thousand gallons spilled the actual amount was 7,500 gallons of this chemical.

The number of hospital visits due to the chemical leak rose from 10 to 73 overnight. With hundreds mildly ill.

Also the guards in testing the water say it is still extremely contaminated and the number needs to come down.

National guard water centers opened today.

There is no water on the shelves in any stores even in my town which is an hour and a half away from the spill and 20 min from the closest affected area.

They don't believe the chemical is still leaking, but no certainty apparently? Also.. it probably stopped leaking because it all ran out SMH.

1.4 million litres of water has been delivered and another 800,000 is on it's way.

Local news source
edit on 11-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Ha.. sorry to bum you out. Just needs to get out there. I am about 15 miles from the nearest affected area.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

nah. it's okay! lol I used to go into West Virginia all the time 20 years ago. I know it well.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Got to look close, but I did qualify it as lacking the methanol (Methylcyclohexane) MSDS no methanol on the end.
Good eye
edit on 11-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Second Update

And here comes the legal issues. It turns out Freedom Industries (the company responsible for the leak), well, their containment wall, after being inspected, needed over ONE MILLION DOLLARS IN REPAIR (1,000,000). How's that for responsibility?

That to mean means a biiig lawsuit is coming and the culprit have been discovered.

I do think however that the government did a poor job in alerting citizens. They were late and they limited it to a few counties for half a day allowing the five other affected counties to continue using the water before they realized they were drinking contaminated water. They added 4 more counties the second day and 1 or 2 the third day. Say slow response.

Link to story

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

I only knew because it was reported in the local news and we are in coal central out here.

What is 4-methylcyclohexane methanol - cnn

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Inexplicable double post.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have yet to talk to my three friends that ingested this poison, but as soon as I do I will give another update.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Today I spoke with a friend who lives in WV and he said that people are fighting over water and that FEMA has taken control. I'm still waiting to hear back as to whether there are actual riots or martial law or just what is going on.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

The better stories go all the way to say 4-methylcyclohexanol Methanol replaces Kerosine.
My thinking is the methanol is used as a thinner.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Yep FEMA rolled in today. There is no water at our walmart and we are across the border in Ky. They are flooding in from Charleston and Huntington. Walmart workers were checking in the back. It didn't affect where I live, but I have 4 or 5 galls set back anyway. I just went to watch the scramble.

Also apparently over 70 hospital visits, and at least 5 people have been kept by the hospital. Patients showing extreme nausea and vomiting.

I imagine the numbers are actually much higher and not hospitals are included in that tally.. we are talking 10 counties (they said 5, then 9, but water has been cut off to cabell making it 10 at least). Cabell is where my friends were drinking the water and saying it tasted like cough syrup and that was when they were officially out of the affected area. lol.

I personally don't see why churches, police, and others can't hand out the water. Why is FEMA and that National Guard required?

Another thing.. there is no end in sight yet. They aren't sure how easy it will be to decontaminate the water system. They are saying levels are still high. Also, if you have been to WV you know that there are people up in the mountains and in the middle of nowhere that wont get any relief. I mean deliverance, hill people haha, still they are in trouble.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

SO relieved to see it is you Vic as author of this thread, came on after internet went down for past 24 hours in my area. Ok, just wanted to say thanks in advance for updates and critical thinking which always comes with your threads. Now off to read the rest.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well thank you. You know me, I try to make my threads worthwhile and give all the info and thought I can.
Really appreciate it though. Means a lot.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

To finally answer the very first question asked.
A company called Freedom Industries is at fault. Their containment wall needed over a million dollars in repairs after inspection.

Others to blame - American Water for not shutting down the water sooner (they did on the second day).
The local government for not expanding the warning further in the first place leading people in several counties unaware and drinking the contaminated water. It wasn't until hours after they knew there was a leak that they sent warning to 4 other counties, and it wasn't until the second day that they added Cabell where people had been drinking the contaminated water for 24 hours.

I even saw a guy saying he was filling up jugs to bring to work because he lived outside the contaminated area. By the next day he was added to the contaminated area list and all those jugs he brought to work were in fact contaminated.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Has anyone been dispatched to check on people in these more remote spots? I'm sure they're on wells but it could still be an issue (unless above the source maybe).

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

My friend says that he gets his water from a mountain well and has a non-electric hand pump so is in no danger. He also appreciates that he IS so high in the mountains as he also avoids all the hoopla in town.

I see what you're saying about letting locals hand out water but I can see why they don't. For one, they don't know who to trust. W.V. is a bit known for being cliquish. If you gave the water to a pastor and let him pass it out, would it be evenly distributed between his parishioners and those who go to some other church or no church at all? Would his family get a few cases more than your family? FEMA, who doesn't know anyone in the area (probably) can be more impartial. Even the national guard is mostly from there and knows family and friends so, again, no guarantee of equitable distribution. Sucks but it's fair.
edit on 11-1-2014 by whitewave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thanks for posting everything Vic..The primary reason I come here is almost as a news source at this point so postings like you are making really help me out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join