It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency in West Virgina - Chemical spill (affecting 9 counties).

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I love how they're noting that the smell is the only notable adverse effect.

wchstv.com...

Pregnant women are being advised not to drink it. But the rest of us can and so can our kids. What the hell is up with that?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

www.wowktv.com...

I doubt any progress will be made here either.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sevnuvnine

A reporter on CNN called the CDC. They do not have any info on this chemical. They have been issuing warnings as they get info from other sources. That is why the warning for pregnant women came 48 hrs after the ban was lifted.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The ban never should have been lifted until all the facts were to be had. That was reckless and far too hasty a decision to be made so soon. They were filling the tanker relief trucks with contaminated water out of Charleston as well. And that wasn't a Freedom Industries call, that was WVAM.

www.wvgazette.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
And where the hell did the guy that started this thread go??

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The spill is just going down stream and dispersing a little bit. It will likely affect other water supplies down stream. I have not taken a look and see where this river ultimately leads to. My guess it likely more or less settle in a man made lake. Almost all the Appalachian Rivers are dammed with many man made lakes.(edit add i was wrong it will end up in the GoM)

Those lakes are all toxic already from industry, at least toxic enough that most experts would advice against eating fish due to high levels or mercury and heavy metals.
edit on 16-1-2014 by jrod because: add link

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I just google earthed it. The Elk River flows to the Kanawha River which goes to the Ohio, which feeds into the Mississippi which will end up in the Gulf of Mexico.

edit on 16-1-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Sorry I didnt answer sooner. Nothing drom my friends. Water was back on in 4 counties yesterday or the day before (way too soon). Some rumblings of class actions and if you can find it online videos of people turning on the tap and getting water the Colo and consistency of motor oil. I saw the video on a news page but couldn't find it to imbed. If I find the link ill post it.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Obama doesnt have an issue with the coal industry.. hes destroying it and its not a good thing. You dont quit your job without prospect for another you know. Well Obama is taking that decision away from the tens of thousands in the Appalachian coal industry.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

They rushed it of course. They were losing money. They turned it on in less than half the affected area and people are still describing oily foul water.

So If you guess was when the water would be safe was 5 days you were way off, if your guess was when the corporations would want to turn it back on I guess you should ready your resume.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

My bad I knew better than that. Charleston doesnt have any nuke power. I dont know why I thought that. I was looking up stations that could be converted to thorium.

Keep in mind.. Kentucky poster. Im about an hour or son from Charleston.

My bad.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Skorpy
Update:

news.cincinnati.com...

The chemical has made it to the Ohio river. Next is the Mississippi.

Yeah we had heard it made it to the Ohio the other day (where our water comes from unfortunately). Nothing to really worry about at that point but every drop of pollution is regrettable.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I have to work sometimes you know. You were right, I was wrong about the nuke plant. Probably a bit of recalling Charleston giant cooling towers at their coal plant and just having a bad memory as to where they are all at (worked briefly at one). Despite only being an hour from Charleston.. I avoid it as much as possible.

I think people have kept it pretty tightly updated without me and honestly I dont know what to add. There is no fixing it. Its probably in Ashland and Irony in water supplies now via the Ohio River (though diluted). I guess we will see if people get sick. They should probably rename that water (or shouldnt have turned it back on in the first place).
edit on 17-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by boncho

They rushed it of course. They were losing money. They turned it on in less than half the affected area and people are still describing oily foul water.

So If you guess was when the water would be safe was 5 days you were way off, if your guess was when the corporations would want to turn it back on I guess you should ready your resume.

I said the majority of it should dissipate in 5 days. They turned it back on in three for some people. But I also stated it was non-polar (in another post). My concern was that in piping systems there might be build up which would take away to get flushed out.

Similar to the reason they tell you not to put oil down your drain.

Smell doesn't determine toxicity though.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I know its like brushing it under the carpet, making fun of those who are sickened or worried for contamination ongoing. In other words this whole mess has been seriously bought out. Sad, I worry about it, it reminds me of nuclear accidents which will undoubtedly happen and be treated the same way. I worry for America.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I wasn't trying to give you grief, bud. I honestly wondered where you had disappeared to and hoped it didn't have anything to do with the water. My zone was cleared this morning, but we're not going to flush. There's a delegate running for district 11 here that is bringing in scientists that want to test unflushed water from all 9 counties. I'm giving them a call in a bit. I'm not going to do anything with the water for a couple more weeks anyway. Where I live it's a bit rural. We're about 25 miles east of Charleston and I don't think we got it as bad up here. Anyway, I'm going to give those guys a call and I'll keep you updated on it.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Freedom Industries, the company behind the chemical spill has filed bankruptcy.

thinkprogress.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I've seen a lot of pictures of the yellow syrup water going around, but cant verify so I haven't posted them. Since you are local you have probably seen them shared if you have facebook.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I don't believe the pics that look like oil or syrup are valid. I have a lot of friends on facebook from a lot of different areas in WV and none of them have reported the water looking like that. However, I heard today that a guy that lives up the road from me is making that claim, and I'm going to make him show me. I just don't believe that.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join