It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency in West Virgina - Chemical spill (affecting 9 counties).

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
WV does have a pretty high cancer rate. I guess this could be part of the reason.

www.businessinsider.com.au...

And apparently there was another chemical to be concerned about in the spill.

wvmetronews.com...

And Freedom might just get out of it. Although I think there are other parties that should be held responsible for it all in addition to Freedom.

www.wvgazette.com...

My water still smells. We can't bathe or cook with it. I'm honestly worried about the future health of all those affected.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sevnuvnine

I haven't heard much about it the last week. Even from my WV friends. I have actually been surprised by that. I expect the moving on in national headlines, but not local.

The last thing I heard in the news about it was the viral article from the Chairman of a WV Uni english dept.
huffpost link to story.

I'm in Ashland now. They know all about high cancer rates around here.
edit on 22-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Check this out. Apparently there was a second chemical contained in the tank that spilled. PPH it is called. Freedom is only now releasing that information.

www.wsaz.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Sevnuvnine
I don't believe the pics that look like oil or syrup are valid. I have a lot of friends on facebook from a lot of different areas in WV and none of them have reported the water looking like that. However, I heard today that a guy that lives up the road from me is making that claim, and I'm going to make him show me. I just don't believe that.

Have you had the opportunity to visit your neighbor yet and what was your opinion?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I did visit him, and when his wife finally let him come to the door he said they'd already flushed the lines so there was nothing to see. I asked if he had taken any pictures, and of course he hadn't. I think he just wanted attention.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The DEP has ordered Freedom to offer full disclosure of all chemicals involved by 4 p.m. today.

www.wsaz.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I love how these nuclear disasters and all of these spills are always convienently places where they can do just... the best damage

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Sevnuvnine
The DEP has ordered Freedom to offer full disclosure of all chemicals involved by 4 p.m. today.

www.wsaz.com...

Thank you for updating this thread when I'm not able.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Evergreens

It was downright ignorant to hold these chemicals so close (what was it a half mile) and UPSTREAM from the water intake that supplied over a quarter million people.

Not to mention I am sure the chemical is being consumed by hundreds of thousands (if not close to a million) more people, in smaller concentrations, down the Ohio river.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Ignorant may not be quite the right word, as it implies a lack of awareness. I doubt they were unaware of the possible consequences, but they certainly don't seem to have cared enough to plan accordingly or to keep up with maintenance.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Fair enough, insert whatever word.

Actually, for all I know, the plant may be responsible and built after the storage place, but I doubt it.

The company that had the leak hadn't been checked for violation in over 20 years I believe it was. It's a huge mess.
Then they just filed for bankruptcy after dumping 7,500 gallons of toxic chemicals into the river.

edit on 23-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Here is one of the images that sevenuvnine and myself were discussing.
These started popping up on local facebooks. I am not trying to convince anyone that this is what the water actually looked like, all accounts from my friends stated that the water was clear and didn't appear any different (i think maybe i heard a pink tinge once, but that may have been something else) but tasted and smelled strange. However none of my friends were really close to the leak, but from the counties alerted later. So I can't say what the water in Charleston looked like.

So this picture is alleged to be Charleston water, but I highly doubt it. I think it's probably a picture from water near a fracking operation that someone else attributed to the Charleston spill.

Water - probably not actually a picture of the water from Charleston

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

They updated your previous article and are now saying that MCHM and PPH were in fact the only two chemicals spilled.

Freedom Industries says chemicals MCHM and PPH were the only two chemicals that leaked from a tank on their property into the Elk River earlier this month.

updates wsaz article

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It blows my mind that they are so clueless about the dangers of these chemicals. All the warnings are clearly labeled for all to see, until they leak I guess.

In an email to state officials Tuesday night and a press statement this morning, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control noted that data about the potential health effects of the chemical "PPH" are -- like the information on Crude MCHM -- "very limited."

link-o

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
An interesting bill passed in the house about the same time the spill occurred.

US House passed bill ravaging toxic-waste law - on same day as W. Virginia chemical spill

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Damn, that's some great timing!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
They've revised the amount of the chemical that spilled into the river. Now it's 10,000 gallons as opposed to 7,500.

www.charlestondailymail.com...

Today is also supposed to be the last day for water distribution centers. People are blowing up the governor's phone, getting the run around and getting nowhere.

This may give you an idea about how serious this is for some people. My 17 year old nephew has brain cancer and is currently undergoing rounds of radiation. He is expected to make a full recovery, just so you know, but my sister called poison control and was told by them that my nephew shouldn't use the water for anything. Not to shower, don't launder his clothes in it just not to touch it. Some people can't afford to buy gallons of water every single day. They owe us all so much for this. And they're closing the distribution centers.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I stand corrected, and I'm more than happy to be so.

www.governor.wv.gov...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It just keeps getting better and better!

www.wvgazette.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The water in cannonsburg/catlettsburg/ashland ky has been off for like a week now, and on boiled water avisory. All fast food closed. Doubt it's due to the spill, but they've actually been without LONGER than those in the spill area.

Crazy how many pople without water this time of year.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join