It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cost of Not Vaccinating

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I have been reading from many people who are against vaccinations and their reasons do vary some based off of fear others of bad science/pseudo science some even deny vaccinations work at all however one argument that keeps coming up seems to be along the lines of its my choice and it only affects me. Well that's not true. If you think I am going to explain herd immunity protecting those who can't vaccinate due to medical reasons you will be wrong.

This is about the other cost the one that can be measured by money itself it is based off of an article I found about a Measles outbreak in 2008 but first lets refresh ourselves about Measiles.

The measles virus is among the most infectious of all know viruses, with an attack rate of well over 90%. That means that over 90% of susceptible people — those who have not been vaccinated or who have not had the disease — will get it if exposed.

Before the introduction of a vaccine in 1963 measles caused about 4 million cases annually in the USA, leading to 48,000 hospitalizations and 500 deaths. That’s a lot of kids in the hospital. The measles vaccine has nearly eliminated these things, but not entirely.

Now about the article.

In January 2008 a mini-epidemic happened in California this was due to a unvaccinated 7-year-old boy who was unknowingly infected with measles returned from Europe and proceeded to expose other children. Like many viruses, people who are infected spread the virus before they know they are sick.

879 people were exposed, most of these were vaccinated so only 12 secondary cases occurred, all in unvaccinated children. Nine of these children were deliberately unvaccinated, but three of them were too young to have received the vaccine. One three-month-old had to be hospitalized. Forty-eight children too young to be vaccinated had to be quarantined at home for several days.

The article estimated the economic costs of the entire epidemic, including lost work time for parents, costs of treatment, and time spent by the health department investigating it, at nearly ten thousand five hundred dollars per case. So besides saving lives, measles vaccine reduces healthcare costs significantly.

From the Article

RESULTS: The importation resulted in 839 exposed persons, 11 additional cases (all in unvaccinated children), and the hospitalization of an infant too young to be vaccinated. Two-dose vaccination coverage of 95%, absence of vaccine failure, and a vigorous outbreak response halted spread beyond the third generation, at a net public-sector cost of $10 376 per case. Although 75% of the cases were of persons who were intentionally unvaccinated, 48 children too young to be vaccinated were quarantined, at an average family cost of $775 per child. Substantial rates of intentional undervaccination occurred in public charter and private schools, as well as public schools in upper-socioeconomic areas. Vaccine refusal clustered geographically and the overall rate seemed to be rising. In discussion groups and survey responses, the majority of parents who declined vaccination for their children were concerned with vaccine adverse events.

CONCLUSIONS: Despite high community vaccination coverage, measles outbreaks can occur among clusters of intentionally undervaccinated children, at major cost to public health agencies, medical systems, and families. Rising rates of intentional undervaccination can undermine measles elimination.

Measles Outbreak in a Highly Vaccinated Population, San Diego, 2008: Role of the Intentionally Undervaccinated

This OP is not trying to argue your FREEDOM as so many have repeatedly stated it is theirs to vaccinate or not. This is merely pointing out that that freedom can come at a cost. It doesn't just affect you there are consequences to you and those around you. Anyway I found this when trying to look up a more recent case from Aug. 27, 2013 in Texas where 21 people were infected but this article got my attention because I had never considered the economic impact before.

Well I hope you consider this aspect when thinking about vaccinations and this is only about one type of contagious disease outbreak I am certainly glad they are rare in this age. They are only rare because so many do vaccinate the more who are convinced not to do so the more frequent outbreaks will become. BTW If I remember correctly the church in Texas changed its tune on vaccines after the recent outbreak. For those who do not remember that case the link is below.

Measles outbreak tied to Texas megachurch sickens 21

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

You know what thought just struck me about your two vaccination posts?

Forever ... You'll be able to say, "See ... I told you so." LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Wow!

Another long post on why we should get the needle.

You seem very passionate about it for some reason but as you state, it's your right. Many just refuse to have entities of mistrust like Big Pharm or Govt. sticking their profits into us.

A growing mistrust in both of these corporations on many issues but we should trust them to stick unknown and many times untested chemicals into our bodies? I'll trust the fact that I'm 50 and doing ok.

Our choice.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

While not an anti-vaccine person I do not really trust the big pharma agenda. Also the results coming out of the vaccine courts show there are problems. How deep the problems go I have no idea.

Growing up I was vaccinated but still caught the measles, had chicken-pox but I'm thankful the polio vaccine was discovered as I've seen the direct result of not getting that vaccination, it's tragic.

My kids received shots going in school but that was a long time ago. To balance out their not getting sick I received a vaccination at 12 years old that put me in a coma for 6 days and almost killed me. So, guess I'm a bit ambivalent.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Sorry to hear you had a bad reaction that is pretty severe. Just to be clear I am not a fan of big pharma either but it isnt the vaccines I worry about its the back slapping in doctors offices to push the new antidepressant, hard on pill, adhad med, or so forth. I have seen the cost analysis on vaccines before and it just doesn't make sense but when you see the cost of medication someone needs to take daily that is where they exploit the market.

Foe example I am supposed to take 3 500mg tabs of Depakote a day if I bought it here with a prescription that they are over $5 each but I buy them in bulk when I go to Costa Rica without a prescription for 15 cent each and I really only take one tab a day. My doc kept increasing the script for no reason. I can't take antidepressants because they make me go crazy but that didn't stop 3 other doctors from trying to prescribe them. It wasn't until I found this doc who actually diagnosed the problem after listening to what I told him about the antidepressants.

Anyway I used to see drug reps come and go all the time to those offices and every time the doc would try to get me to go on some new med and I knew it was because they had some sort of deal with the reps.

So people are right to be weary of pharma and that biz but IMO they are not seeing the real problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

lol..That made me laugh.

Anyway I hope the opportunity doesn't arise. I wouldn't wish an illness on anyone. I just want people to be more educated on the subject.

Well this thread is sort of tied to the other thread. I was debating something along this line of thought and had already looked up the article and about halfway through writing a response I realized I should just make a thread then link the OP instead. Unfortunatly the other thread is sort of off course right now.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
How's the depakote working for you? I'm 25 now but when I was 16 I had all kinds of doctors try to diagnose me with this and that, they put me on depakote and SSRIs and I just felt numb. Never felt happy or sad just flat line so I refused them (to much resistance from the doctors) and have been off ever since.. Best decision of my life at that time.

Ever since then I've been very cautious of prescribed meds even OTC meds. Something just seems so.. Harsh and unnatural about them. and same goes for vaccines. when I was working in Alaska I was told I absolutely NEEDED the tetanus-whooping cough- and some other #, triple vaccine.. They said if I didn't get the vaccine children would literally DIE because I would infect them if I caught whatever virus they were talking about.. Wtf?! So I reluctantly took it and felt like complete # for the next two months, and later learned that the carrier they used was full of mercury.

So there you have it my stoned rant about why vaccines (and big pharma) suck

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

What strikes me about this (very biased) thread is that you don't list any of the strong arguments against vaccinating but of course mention apparent fear (which I presume you mean unfounded) and apparently bad science.

Done with this thread...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Well first you can call this biased if you wish being FACTUAL is what I am aiming for.

Second this is not a general all encompassing thread on vaccines it is verry specific.

Third

you don't list any of the strong arguments against vaccinating

That is pretty easy to explain. Because I haven't read any strong arguments against vaccinations that are factual.

Maybe you have come to the wrong site. The Motto here is DENY IGNORANCE.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SecTownKid

I was up in Alaska for a bit but that was back in my military days. All military is %100 vaccinated hell I probably got re-vaccinated more than I needed to because I was on TDY a lot. Anyway I did hear there were fears that we or outsiders could transmit strains to the Eskimo population and there were fears of that but I never came in contact as my job kept me on base.

All I can tell you is the military is a pretty big swath of population that gets fully inoculated but has one of the best health records.

As far as the Depakote taking 1 pill a day does me just right. It has helped a lot but when I upped my dosage like my doc told me to I felt drugged and just blah. So I cut it back. My doc thinks I take what he prescribes but I feel fully functional where I am at.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
My mistrust comes from;

From all we know about blood, the human genome and every fiber of the DNA strand...

We still haven't a clue about cancers or other major viruses...

REALLY?

OH yeah... Mercury... nuff said.

.: ETA :.

Oh how could of the hundreds of cases of major debilitating side effects ever leave my mind?
edit on 10/1/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Uhhh....the MMR vaccine is the most insane thing you could put in your body. What is the cost of getting the Measles?....how about what is the cost of getting Autism? You can say all you want that the MMR vaccine isn't causing autism but then you would be a blind fool. The pharma companies are starting to admit it.....the courts are starting to admit it.....when is the dumb'ed down public going to admit it?

Plus you say that you were in the military and had tons of shots and look how great you are?......then you tell us you are on some pretty heavy anti-psychotics ....... uh....yeah...

edit on 10-1-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Sovaka
My mistrust comes from;

From all we know about blood, the human genome and every fiber of the DNA strand...

We still haven't a clue about cancers or other major viruses...

REALLY?

OH yeah... Mercury... nuff said.

.: ETA :.

Oh how could of the hundreds of cases of major debilitating side effects ever leave my mind?
edit on 10/1/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

We have vast knowledge of cancers and viruses down to a molecular level.
Why do you say we haven't?

And the only mercury (which is in the form of an organic compound rather than the metallic version used n thermometers years ago) is in one flu vaccine and hasn't been in the other vaccines for over a decade.

And how could the hundreds of millions of prevented illnesses ever GET INTO your mind?

Ignorance is bliss eh?
edit on 10/1/14 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Yes because if we knew so much about them they would be such a bother to us eh?

Ignorance is truly bliss.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

Uhhh....the MMR vaccine is the most insane thing you could put in your body. What is the cost of getting the Measles?....how about what is the cost of getting Autism? You can say all you want that the MMR vaccine isn't causing autism but then you would be a blind fool. The pharma companies are starting to admit it.....the courts are starting to admit it.....when is the dumb'ed down public going to admit it?

Plus you say that you were in the military and had tons of shots and look how great you are?......then you tell us you are on some pretty heavy anti-psychotics ....... uh....yeah...

Why is it "the most insane thing you can put in your body"?

It doesn't matter what I say or anyone SAYS about the MMR causing autism, it's what all of the studies say which is important.
And every single one of them says there is no correlation.
What's the cost of getting measles?
Let's see, meningitis, pneumonia, blindness etc etc.
Why did autism rates still increase when they stopped giving the MMR in Japan?
Why was autism on the increase before the MMR was released?

Can you point out where the pharma companies (or anyone else in medicine) is pointing out that MMR causes autism as that's news to me.
As for the courts saying there are...I think that if you look into them properly you'll find they didn't say they caused autism at all. You have to take time to read the official court transcript though rather than just regurgitate it from an anti-vax site.
Think about it, would you let a lawyer diagnose an illness you had?
Thought not.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by Pardon?

Yes because if we knew so much about them they would be such a bother to us eh?

Ignorance is truly bliss.

You don't think much do you?

We treat viruses quite well these days.
Prevention is the key though (see vaccines) as once they infect your body they can be a nuisance to get rid of.
Look up how viruses propagate in the human body and you may start to understand why.

The incidence of cancer deaths has fallen dramatically over the last 20 years.
Why is that I wonder?
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Of course these SELF FUNDED studies will say there isn't a connection or issue.

Otherwise they would be liable for countless civil suits as well as redesigning the vaccination and re-manufacturing of said vaccination.
Millions of dollars later... It's just easier and more profitable to put out something that is dangerous and claim its safe.

Then if anything gets close to the courts about damages, they pay out in settlements at a fraction of a percentage of what they earn.
Which is the better BUSINESS path to follow?

Please take into account their complete lack of morality.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Pardon?

UxoriousMagnus

Why is it "the most insane thing you can put in your body"?

It doesn't matter what I say or anyone SAYS about the MMR causing autism, it's what all of the studies say which is important.
And every single one of them says there is no correlation.
What's the cost of getting measles?
Let's see, meningitis, pneumonia, blindness etc etc.
Why did autism rates still increase when they stopped giving the MMR in Japan?
Why was autism on the increase before the MMR was released?

Can you point out where the pharma companies (or anyone else in medicine) is pointing out that MMR causes autism as that's news to me.
As for the courts saying there are...I think that if you look into them properly you'll find they didn't say they caused autism at all. You have to take time to read the official court transcript though rather than just regurgitate it from an anti-vax site.
Think about it, would you let a lawyer diagnose an illness you had?
Thought not.

no....your right....the pharma companies are looking out for me and my family. They have never done anything unethical and well......thanks for setting me straight there....

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Oh yes we do don't we...

Perhaps you should read up about our latest greatest feat... the HPV vaccination sweeping the world...

Oh yes... We are so great.
Vaccinations don't cause any issues at all..

Move along, nothing to see here...

These are not the vaccinations you are looking for.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

First: Depakote was prescribed to me for migraine headaches from a severe injury caused by a close proximity explosion which the medication has been very affective.

Second: your making a lot of claims that are probably as well founded as your insinuation of my condition.

And instead just making claims like

You can say all you want that the MMR vaccine isn't causing autism but then you would be a blind fool. The pharma companies are starting to admit it

Then post the evidence

the courts are starting to admit it

Then post the evidence

If you can't then the fool is the one who doesn't back up his claims. If you can establish that vaccines are causing autism then there could be a cost analysis but unless you have some NEW evidence that has been kept from the public then your only regurgitating falsehoods for the uninformed and gullible.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: self censor

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join