It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 80
<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

I was not saying that Mars colour consist of only shades of orange & red BUT a great many of the images posted in this thread and others using the HYPER zoom that members just don't understand does nothing for clarity at all, show lots of jpeg artifacts that end up with claims of faces ,carvings and other nonsense!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

so what do you think is going on in this white balanced picture, nevermind all the others presented pictures that have been discussed , or explained away or left hanging, what do you think is the nature of the geometry and the colour of the landscape in the picture currently being speculated upon ?

a thread for discussion , not nonsense

funBox

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

jeep3r
You mentioned the fact that resolution (and compression rates) are important. So taking into account the standard JPG compression in Curiosity's images, I could imagine that the color-bleeding effect mostly affects very small sections with only a few pixels (even more so when those are overly enlarged). The effect should IMO be nearly insignificant in most of the larger images used in this thread ... would you agree?

The effect is nearly insignificant inside large areas, but whenever a change of colour happens, regardless of the size of the coloured areas, the effect is stronger. You can see that the centre of the colour blocks in the images I used were not (visually) affected.

As JPEG works in 8 x 8 pixel blocks, anything smaller than 8 pixels has a large probability of having been subjected to some kind of alteration by the compression.

Another example. First, the JPEG image.

Resized to 400% without resampling to see how it looks.

And the original saved as a PNG to avoid compression artefacts.

As you can see, the colours are not even the same as in the original and the bottom of the image has lots of artefacts. That happened (by chance) because the coloured lines end at pixel 89, so it's the first pixel of an 8 x 8 block, and all the block is affected by the fact that there's a coloured edge.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

of course , I see it ,

its bleed from the surrounding colours on the rock/ sharp thing

funBox

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

I suggest YOU re read my post then wind your neck in a bit!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

discuss , and have some fun

*winding the large lever , a deep bellowing grinding can be heard in the looming foothills, funBox's head slowly decends into the deep clipped darkness of his neck*

for instance , what do you see in comparison to what ArMaP has explained so well

funBox

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

ah , you got to have that one on here , its up there with the 'pharaohs head' and 'the face on mars'

funBox

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Well, now it's on here and it does look kinda like a Moai, although a sad or frustrated one!

But getting back to that grid-pattern that I noticed in one of the chunks lying around in that Sol 540 Gigapan Panorama, I tried to make a quick animation to illustrate what I mean:

Source Image

Of course, there are certainly ways and possibilities how shapes & patterns like this could form naturally. Yet, when also considering the other oddities at Gale Crater, it doesn't really look like the majority of rocks in that area ...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

indeed , on the edge of the rock it looks like there is a denser lattice structure of harder material , softer material being eroded from between its lines , that's one of the keys to a good anomaly , the surrounding areas will give indications of surface textures , erosive pattern repetitions, and general rocks types or dominant rock types , a good anomly is one that sticks out a mile

funBox

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

jeep3r
Of course, there are certainly ways and possibilities how shapes & patterns like this could form naturally. Yet, when also considering the other oddities at Gale Crater, it doesn't really look like the majority of rocks in that area ...

There are a lot of patterns created by the generally high degree of sedimentation in the rocks. Eroded layering is naturally going to produce patterns, angles and straight edges that could easily be mistaken for something artificial. That's why I tend to like to focus on circular patterns and patterns with non-parallel lines. That is at least suggestive to me of clams, sponges, etc., that might have actually had a chance to grow and evolve when the area was under water.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

ArMaP

Char-Lee
I downloaded a program call GIMP and it will not seem to save photos in a form acceptable on ATS or probably anywhere so I have a mess now!

I have been using GIMP for a long time, this new version changed several things, and one of those was the saving of the images, now they use their own file type (that nobody else uses). To save an image in any standard format you have to export it, then just type the extension you want and it will save the image in that format.

If you have any questions about GIMP just ask.

Thank you. I save as a jpeg image but it was not when I tried to open it..but I am just plain incapable when it comes to this stuff.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by funbox

I've noticed that when I walk outside on the ground, or in the back with the dogs, that I'm looking at the ground and seeing lines and ruts and other martian things, and am sometimes a little surprised to see signs of past life. Are you (or is anyone, Char-Lee?) having that brain-jump occur?

Yes exactly! I also am a great lover of rocks, so I have rocks everywhere, I look at them a lot and think about what I see. there are 'rocks" on Mars I simply do not understand as rocks.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

funbox
reply to post by jeep3r

ah , you got to have that one on here , its up there with the 'pharaohs head' and 'the face on mars'

funBox

Yet another human shaped face rock stares out at us and tempts the faiths to shadow it different - that's fun when the shadows and light, the essence of most great artwork, come together accidently to pop up one of these. Someone else might discover it independently, put up a thread here, and wow the community. On this thread that's a day on the beach Nice find. And I do like your blue rocks, the pyramid, and even the pyramid next to this guy here. Another one that a tabloid could run and sell some extra papers.

As for the jpeg compressions, which I know little about, they do seem to give out general outlines - although deep zoom throws up ghosts and skeletons.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Aleister
reply to post by funbox

I've noticed that when I walk outside on the ground, or in the back with the dogs, that I'm looking at the ground and seeing lines and ruts and other martian things, and am sometimes a little surprised to see signs of past life. Are you (or is anyone, Char-Lee?) having that brain-jump occur?

Yes exactly! I also am a great lover of rocks, so I have rocks everywhere, I look at them a lot and think about what I see. there are 'rocks" on Mars I simply do not understand as rocks.

A good way to express it, "there are rocks on Mars I simply do not understand as rocks". The repeaters are what I guess we're looking for too, and I'd submit that the spokes we've all found are getting into the category of "someone should both look at these and explain them."

What did you think of Blue Shift's little "barnacle" thing? (Í hope all you guys are rewarded yourselves with some "Rocky Road" ice cream).

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

As you can see, the colours are not even the same as in the original and the bottom of the image has lots of artefacts. That happened (by chance) because the coloured lines end at pixel 89, so it's the first pixel of an 8 x 8 block, and all the block is affected by the fact that there's a coloured edge.

I know I don't really understand much of your ongoing discussion, but I am wondering, just how important is any of it for our purposes here? The enlargements made by funbox, gives an image clearly like the smaller version, only I don't have to use my magnifying glass. It does not give me more detail than the magnifying glass but it is not distorted like a normal enlargement.

As far as color change and artifacts, from your illustration I can see it does not change the overall appearance that much. The only way that I can see it making any difference at all is if we were give better photos to look at in the first place. As it is there is little we can do other than speculate. If there were anything meaningful found on these available pictures it would have to be already clearly profound without any tinkering.

Meanwhile it is wonderful fun to see the enlarged versions of something small without the eye strain!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

What did you think of Blue Shift's little "barnacle" thing? (Í hope all you guys are rewarded yourselves with some "Rocky Road" ice cream).

It is wonderful! loved it an exceptional find!...Did you have to mention my favorite Rocky Road, now iIcan't stop thinking of it! Maplenut is my other favorite!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

And from the opposite end of your face rock, with the picture tilted once to the right, we have Squashed Kralenhauserhead, one of the Gale Crater Kralenhauserheads, of clan "This one comes with teeth":

edit on 28-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Char-Lee
As it is there is little we can do other than speculate. If there were anything meaningful found on these available pictures it would have to be already clearly profound without any tinkering.

Exactly, we are stuck with these images until they publish the processed versions on the PDS (every three months, I think), so we cannot really know if something smaller than 8 pixels (the size of the blocks used by the JPEG compression) has that exact shape and colour, although the changes aren't big enough to change the whole look of the objects on the photos.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by Aleister

It is wonderful! loved it an exceptional find!...Did you have to mention my favorite Rocky Road, now iIcan't stop thinking of it! Maplenut is my other favorite!

Yes, we have lots of really good finds, aside from the things that look like faces and our playing around posts. Ice Cream things, my fave is Rice Dream, mostly any flavor. But Rocky Road is where the foot meets the rocks. I never had Maplenut, sounds good, I wish Rice Dream would come in exotic flavors like that. In time, in time.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

funbox

so what do you think is going on in this white balanced picture, nevermind all the others presented pictures that have been discussed , or explained away or left hanging, what do you think is the nature of the geometry and the colour of the landscape in the picture currently being speculated upon ?

a thread for discussion , not nonsense

funBox

I have no idea. Blue must be some kind of mineral or rock-crystal, like on that sparkly one you found just a little while ago. The geometry fits with some of the other square or triangle things, but I don't know if that's what you see. How do you define the picture?

Discussion, although nonsense whirls its gangly head and spots once again the stern Mars guardian, his head and shoulders on guard or at least looking off into the sun, for no reason we can ascertain from Earth. So why aren't these people up there yet? Why is another Mars rover mission set for 2020, and not half a dozen, to accompany the earthlings walking upon the soil (sand).

top topics

<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join