It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 177
<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

Nice find, you can see it from two perspectives (the bottom hole is either the eye of a weird skull or the mouth of the dino-bird skull), and what the Johnny Walker Red is that thing you present to us on the skull's right? What kind of alien Disneyland (and no, I'm not literally saying these are machines or something, just interestingly shaped rocks) or Dali landscape did this machine ride into lately?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

hmm odd looking , there sees to be some large hooked and overhanging rocks around these parts that are casting strange shadows to my eye, same with the half hollowed out thing from earlier , there's another similar shaped hollowed structure to the bottom right ..

mast 725

looks like theres been an erosion of softer material to me

funbox

edit on 23-8-2014 by funbox because: added wolfjuice *gif juice sanctioned*

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
been a massive influx in sol 726 mast

interesting looking

mast 726

funbox

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: this thread

Not from Curiosity but from our veteran-rover "Opportunity", somewhere near Endeavor Crater (Sol 3718):

Source Image

The curved diagonal alignment with those regular vertical streaks caught my attention. Although it's just very faint and barely visible, I thought this is still worth a post. If it's not just a geological feature or pareidolia, I'd say it remotely resembles something like this ... but that's of course 'pure speculation' for now!

edit on 24-8-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
been a massive influx in sol 726 mast

interesting looking

mast 726

funbox

Now what's that then? My first impression was intertwined 'roots'. Seriously, the more i look at these photos the more I'm convinced Mars i littered with stuff other than mere rocks.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Skeletonized

yes .. intertwined comes to my mind too, now has this been revealed by erosion ? has this been revealed by fracturing ? is this accretion ? and if so what geological process creates this type of patterning...

I suppose lightning may have produced this vitrified look .. but then so could organic fossilisation

I think there's a similar pattern further on the right of the rock, but who says lightning cant strike the same spot twice ?

funbox

edit on 24-8-2014 by funbox because: raiden wins... fatality

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That's why we need a geologist on this thread. You found this weird bunch of things, none of us know what the Earth equivalent is, say, up in the Canadian Rockies. Where on earth are those rock shapes found, what water and/or geological forces on Earth would create that shape, and just why does it exist? Personally, I dunno.

It's really cool you are coming up with lots of good things. I haven't hunted in awhile, but this latest crop of photos gives humpty dumpty a bad name and could be interesting to root around (and have you seen any spokes in a long long time, in Martian minutes? They used to be on every third or fourth picture).

An altogether different take on the picture, if you look at it as an Earth statue of a very exotic long animal, the top seems to have arms and is holding onto the rock.

edit on 24-8-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

Another interesting find. Again, what forces on Earth would create that, and where on Earth can we find a similar pattern? I dunno. If I had a geologist brother-in-law I'd sign him up for this thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r
a reply to: this thread

Not from Curiosity but from our veteran-rover "Opportunity", somewhere near Endeavor Crater (Sol 3718):

Source Image

The curved diagonal alignment with those regular vertical streaks caught my attention. Although it's just very faint and barely visible, I thought this is still worth a post. If it's not just a geological feature or pareidolia, I'd say it remotely resembles something like this ... but that's of course 'pure speculation' for now!

Let me know what this looks like to you: The large circle right above your yellow line, then follow down many lines leading from it or near it all the way down the face of the rock.

Edit: And looky there, in the top left-hand corner, a very well formed and undulating-rimmed spoke creature. Or a one in a million chance of one (Mars' gotta a million of 'em, or billions more likely. Even though there've been lots of false alarms, people on this thread have found at least a few of them on a very tiny portion of Mars' surface, if you take the percentage of Mars-ground the Rover has covered).

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Let me know what this looks like to you: The large circle right above your yellow line, then follow down many lines leading from it or near it all the way down the face of the rock.

I think I also noticed a few more interesting patterns on this one, although the one I posted seemed to be the most clearest among all those faint & vague hints.

Not sure about a circular spoke-y thing-y (due to bad resolution) but why not? Or something close to it, at least ... you're certainly right in that an actively participating 'geologist' would be useful on here. Until ATS provides one, I guess it's going to be up to us to point to some of the more interesting 'potentials'.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

adjusting the curves helps a little but not a lot
it appears to be distinctive enough to make out amongst the rock noise

did you notice the clam hiding just at the back too ?

chowder could turn out to be a planetary wide industry

funbox

edit on 24-8-2014 by funbox because: www

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Your levelling effort is much appreciated and it does help a bit. It's also another good example of your "spice up my find" GIF technique! Regarding the clam you mentioned: I didn't spot that just yet, but that's probably just me and I'm pretty sure someone on here is going to point it out for us ...

Apart from that, I believe there's a whole lotta stuff in the archives (from earlier sols) that we just haven't discovered yet. And yes, chowder and seafood in general must have been commonplace on Mars back in the day.

edit on 24-8-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Ah Jeep, sorry the chowders off, it was a over darkened silhouette I spotted on the pic I was editing , on brightening the shell look was lost . must be running low on batteries

funbox

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Just because I like concentric circles:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Asteroid? UFO?
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 25-8-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Just missed it with their laser beams.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

They got a picture of it, though. Always good to check it out. Not nearly as shrimp-like close up.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

I try to be thorough.
edit on 25-8-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Crabgrass on Mars.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 25-8-2014 by Blue Shift because: To make it more entertaining.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

crab grass? looks more like something that dropped out of a whales nose

maybe its the green enhancements

funbox

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

That's why we need a geologist on this thread. You found this weird bunch of things, none of us know what the Earth equivalent is, say, up in the Canadian Rockies. Where on earth are those rock shapes found, what water and/or geological forces on Earth would create that shape, and just why does it exist? Personally, I dunno.

It's really cool you are coming up with lots of good things. I haven't hunted in awhile, but this latest crop of photos gives humpty dumpty a bad name and could be interesting to root around (and have you seen any spokes in a long long time, in Martian minutes? They used to be on every third or fourth picture).

An altogether different take on the picture, if you look at it as an Earth statue of a very exotic long animal, the top seems to have arms and is holding onto the rock.

where are the opinions of the nasa geologists , I barely see any commentary when the pictures are uploaded , shouldn't they have a few footnotes for the tourists , the clinically insane and other such browsers. its like we almost get a watered down version of the state of things .

well, have you tried the old pied piper trick, hanging out in geologists forums , singing songs of rare elements and unheard of geological processes, weave them into this mist and sap them of their knowledgeable opinions .. a good humane tactic me thinks. you Aleister have the articulate and mental prowess to have them here in droves. what are you waiting for ?

funbox

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

where are the opinions of the nasa geologists , I barely see any commentary when the pictures are uploaded , shouldn't they have a few footnotes for the tourists , the clinically insane and other such browsers. its like we almost get a watered down version of the state of things .

The opinions of the NASA geologists will probably be published after they analyse the whole data and not just look at the photos, and they will probably be ignored when published.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

a reply to: Blue Shift

crab grass? looks more like something that dropped out of a whales nose

maybe its the green enhancements

funbox

I did as you asked, and to quote the learned geologists and their mentors: "Thank you, Al, for coming by and alerting us to look at this thread. We do agree that this post especially has attracted our attention, and yes, the consensus goes, it is likely something which dropped from a whale's nose, probably 50 billion years ago. When we write it up in the "Learned Geologists Journal (LGJ)" in May of next year we will of course tell its readers that it was discovered on Mars, amidst the scattered bones of the whale in question, and we are trying to reserve the cover of LGJ for this announcement. We wanted to credit the good folks who post on this thread, but somehow will forget to. With best regards and sautéed potatoes, Samuel Wannafish, LG."

If we build it they will come. Or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join