It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is an absurd idea that produces mental illness

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

MrPlow
I think my biggest gripe is that the atheists I met equate belief in a higher power with belief in the bible.
Their line of thinking is that if you believe in god; that belief automatically makes you a christian. Of course, these are mostly Western christians I'm talking about.
It's a rather strange line of thinking.
It IS possible to believe in a higher form that created all of this without adhering to any religion.
I think I would consider myself a Deist. I believe in a original creator, but I'm highly suspicious of the idea that he/she/it participates in our daily lives and the universe around us.
To me, he's more of a watchmaker that simply put it together and set it in motion and then leaves it to do what it's supposed to do.

and when it breaks...it just breaks?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

MrPlow
I think my biggest gripe is that the atheists I met equate belief in a higher power with belief in the bible.
Their line of thinking is that if you believe in god; that belief automatically makes you a christian. Of course, these are mostly Western christians I'm talking about.
It's a rather strange line of thinking.
It IS possible to believe in a higher form that created all of this without adhering to any religion.
I think I would consider myself a Deist. I believe in a original creator, but I'm highly suspicious of the idea that he/she/it participates in our daily lives and the universe around us.
To me, he's more of a watchmaker that simply put it together and set it in motion and then leaves it to do what it's supposed to do.

and when it breaks...it just breaks?

When the entire universe breaks?
What does that even mean?

I couldn't possibly begin to wrap my brain around the idea of the universe "breaking"

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MrPlow

Ever heard of implosion theory?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bwinwright

I think we are all mentally ill because there isnt a single person in this thread that actually knows if god exists or not, or even the various definitions god could be. I dont know what happens when I die...and I really dont give a # either..im too busy enjoying life!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Hey OP! Good one.
What is the point of preaching and teaching monkeys in the end? Why to even agrue with some thing? Tell them it's not their will that is holding their bodies together. Enough said.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
sigh this garbage again!

are there higher beings? probably but i have never met one.
is there a god? depends on your point of view there are people with ability's and intellect
far beyond mine does that make them gods from my perspective?

faith is a choice i can choose to believe in a god or not neither makes me mentally ill
except in the view of someone who thinks i should believe as they do.

yes the universe is stunningly complex and we don't have the understanding of how it all works (yet)
but that does not mean that a "supreme being" made it all.

personally i DO believe there are folk out there way ahead of us and just as many
behind or equal have any of them been here EVER possibly have they had an influence
on us again possibly were they "gods" NO DON'T BE STUPID however to our
ancestors they may well have thought so due to a huge gap in development.
remember the saying that a (paraphrase) sufficiently advanced technology is apparently magic
well to our folks 2 3 10 thousand years ago WE would seem god like.

the religions are ALL false and exist only to allow the few to control the many (and extract revenue)
by wrapping up ancient tales in a moral message with story's of nasty results for those
don't tow the line and do as their told. now unthinkingly following that aught to be considered
mental illness

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

BlueMule

I wouldn't put it in such childish terms as that, but yup.

If religious think it's acceptable to paint me as a mentally damaged person, it's not at all childish for me to ad some context. Christians have a very popular phrase about casting stones, and I occasionally feel the need to let them get hit by their own stones.

We always talk about how overly PC our society is, but we still have problems call it like it is when it comes to religion. it's fine for a religious people to tell me I'm wrong and siding with evil, but if i say the same to them I'm made to be an asshole. They can say I have mental damage, but if I say the same I'm childish. Why is that?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Talk about a modern form of witch hunting.

You do not believe, therefor you must be ill, and of the devil.

Seriously?

Einstein Is right, the world is based on math. But just because it is complex to you, doesn't mean that a god has to be behind it, it is just math.

The idea that life is complicated so therefor has to be the work of the divine, has already been beaten to death in conversation on ATS.

What may be complex to you, is simple to the scientists who understand it.

Now I will take a moment and call your need to not only believe in a sky wizard, but your need to try to force other people to believe in a sky wizard, is what is absurd.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What's absurd is how these threads always reach the same conclusion. That is to say, none at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If you are as religious as your post proseeves you to be, then you are in the wrong place. Also you are a perfect example of the bible thumpers that this site needs to make the point of, you can be blinded by faith as to what's really important in the world.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

While organized religion has been one of the most corrupt and abusive forms of mind control in human history and responsible for the death and destruction of millions of people.

In regarding of your quote above...

Religion itself is not mind control, just as a gun will not fire a bullet by itself. Only when someone is behind it and knows how to use it.

Religion alone has never started a war. But war itself was started because of religion.

It's the human factor that is controlling your mind.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Famouszor

Yes, we're all just such monsters, aren't we?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Let me quote a wikipedia article (en.wikipedia.org...):
"The state was committed to the destruction of religion, and destroyed churches, mosques and temples, ridiculed, harassed and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with atheistic teachings, and generally promoted atheism as the truth that society should accept. The total number of Christian victims of Soviet state atheist policies, has been estimated to range between 12-20 millions.
Religious beliefs and practices persisted among the majority of the population, in the domestic and private spheres but also in the scattered public spaces allowed by a state that recognised its failure to eradicate religion and the political dangers of an unrelenting culture war."

Atheism? No thanks.

(post by mattsawaufo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Ever heard of implosion theory?

Also known as the Big Crunch right? It's what I personally believe we'll find to be the true nature of the Universe. I would wager it's an eternal physical Universe that goes through endless big bangs and big crunches. As I understand it however, the big crunch model isn't the popular theory right now. To add to what you said about it 'breaking', the Big Freeze (permanent expansion) would be more akin to breaking. Since the Universe under this model essentially gets to a state where no life is forming…forever. I believe that's even the currently favored theory.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Atheism is not an idea, Atheist by default is what you would be if religion never existed.

Religion on the other hand is an idea. It as an idea that was written on paper. It only exists because someone thought of the idea. It was probably written by an Atheist with a mental disorder and the only reason it keeps on going is because of the idiots who built their lives around it.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
but some are atheist because they hold onto and live their lives out of pride vanity and the egoic mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

but some are atheist because they hold onto and live their lives out of pride vanity and the egoic mind.

So?

Some are religious because they like the community aspect. Some are religious because they need the psychological crutch of consoling the fear of death. Some are religious because they don't want to tell their family and friends they actually think it's BS. And some just believe it hook line and sinker.

Religious people vary not just in their reasons for believing but in their general dispositions and attitudes towards life. Atheists are no different in that respect.

Also, I hope you weren't implying the religious never live with pride, vanity, or ego...
edit on 27-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
How can unbelief, be a mental illness? Christians didn't exist until 2 thousand years ago. Are we implying those humans before Christianity were all mentally ill?

The fact I no longer believe in Father Christmas or the tooth fairy is not seen as a sign of mental illness in society, yet not believing in god is?

Why are Christians so desperate to equate atheism as a religion. It's almost like they want to say "athiests are as ridiculous as us, how dare they try and be normal and reject the ridiculous beliefs we follow"

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

I think we are all mentally ill because there isnt a single person in this thread that actually knows if god exists or not

The two are not mutually exclusive. This notion that atheism and "agnosticism" are incompatible.

I don't believe god exists but I believe the existence is possible. That's a perfectly reasonable and rational position, and in fact the more common one for an atheist to have; however inconsequential that possibility is believed to be. Most atheists are so because of a lack of evidence to substantiate the belief. Intrinsic to that is the understanding said atheist's mind would change depending on the evidence presented for a creator god. Remember the definition of atheist simply means a 'lack of belief in god(s)'. This so called 'agnostic' position is merely atheism with the rational appension that things beyond the physical Universe are unknowable. So yes of course I don't know. Neither do you. That understanding in no way prevents disbelief. We can invent countless scenarios to exemplify what I am saying if you wish.
edit on 27-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join