It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is an absurd idea that produces mental illness

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I honestly do not understand the mentality in this age that for some reason an ID would take such interest in this tiny blue planet. That thought process belongs in the era when people still believed the universe revolved around us. I am not ruling out the possibility that there is some omnipotent being just the idea that being would care about us in the way theology books describe is a bit egotistical furthermore until there is evidence proving an ID exists there is no reason to believe one does. We are not the center of the universe and there is no reason why we should consider ourselves to be.

Are we still special.....sure. But just how special? Click on the link to get some perspective. Otherwise here is a visual aid that may help.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

littled16
reply to post by bwinwright

Atheism doesn't produce mental illness. It is a product of free will and part of the great scheme of the universe and thus is necessary. To know what light is one must first recognize it from darkness. All are on their own spiritual path, we are not to interfere but rather to be there to assist should the time come when they tire of that particular path and seek further enlightenment.

God does not force you to do anything. God does not like flattery. God does not ask to create images and temples.

A godly person is truthful, honest and kind. If you have these qualities, you have no need of any 'organized' religion.

However if you want spiritual development and gain special powers, you need a teacher who can help you.

'Atheist' etc. are labels which are created by man, not by God.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Atheism is an absurd idea that produces mental illness

I have to say I agree with the Atheism being "an absurd idea" but I don't believe it produces mental illness, it could in some, but I don't think it must as in 100% of the time. Some people have good emotional and mental health in that state. Some religions produce mental illness more than atheism does anyways.

The underlying reasoning for most Atheism is that a loving "Just" God of the bible should haven taken action to prevent the atrocities throughout human history. Or fix the mess before it even started.

But this point must be pondered; just because you vehemently disagree with the way God has handled matters, doesn't make him not exist, ergo justify atheism.
And guess what, when God "finally" gets things going in the modern age, there will be no more atheists, they will become people who were atheists. Scriptures say events will transpire to make this happen.

That's right this whole planet will become the proverbial "foxhole" in the future.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Every human is free to take any action; and it is each human's own decision to follow God's laws (or not).

God does not cause any wars or injustice, humans do.

God punishes souls that sin. The punishment is clearly documented in the 'Veda' of three types:

1. Daihic (diseases, lack of food etc)
2. Devik (natural disasters like floods and accidents)
3. Bhautik (loss of money and physical possessions)

Entire nations get wiped out as punishment.

However God is always hidden and his justice is not always visible. Also result of actions comes after a lag of time. This is the way it is, and questioning it does not help.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

GargIndia
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Every human is free to take any action; and it is each human's own decision to follow God's laws (or not).

God does not cause any wars or injustice, humans do.

God punishes souls that sin. The punishment is clearly documented in the 'Veda' of three types:

1. Daihic (diseases, lack of food etc)
2. Devik (natural disasters like floods and accidents)
3. Bhautik (loss of money and physical possessions)

Entire nations get wiped out as punishment.

However God is always hidden and his justice is not always visible. Also result of actions comes after a lag of time. This is the way it is, and questioning it does not help.

That's your opinion.
Fact is that God isn't punishing anyone, he doesn't cause diseases, natural disasters etc. At the moment the world is in the hands of Satan until armageddon in which bad people, satan and his followers will be destroyed.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Kudos to you OP. I love a good rant!

I am not an Atheist, nor a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim etc. I would class myself as an Agnostic.

Do I have a problem with anyone who is not an Agnostic? Not at all. We all have our individual belief systems. My concerns arise when I see people unwilling to accept others beliefs and/or unwilling to be open to changing their beliefs.

I am quite happy to be proved by anyone that Atheism is correct, or that one or more of the religions is correct. But if anyone can assure me they can provide 100% PROOF I will gladly suggest that they may have a mental illness

More is unknown than known......

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

I like the term '' source '', whether it be a principle or a form of energy or whatever. I'm inclined to go with principle. Non sentient impartial automated natural principle. Pure reflex. No more conscious than the ripples from falling rain.
edit on 29-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The thing is.. everyone here has an opinion ,,,, but that opinion, like mine, is the one you listen to...
Maybe, just maybe...once in awhile you might change that opinion a bit.
No matter what the discussion is.. it come down to Tic, Tac, Toe...Attack, counter-attack.
Are there any answers at all..?? Well, that depends again on you and everyone does, including me. pick the one you want or stick with the one you were raised with.
Why do you suppose there are about 32,000 different belief systems structured on the Bible? Because all those systems were created when someone reading the Bible, had a different opinion on what they thought God wanted.
This is the same old debate that has been around for centuries..And from reading this thread. I am sure it will still be going on for a long time to come..

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ansky

The world cannot be in the hands of Satan, as Satan simply does not exist.

However humans can be evil and cause great harm to others and themselves.

It is very important to understand God's laws from great teachers to understand what is right for humans.

There is no "end of times" coming and no souls are going to get delivered. These theories are self-defeating and illogical.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by galaxy40

You have a great point. The varied opinions are because people focus on the letter rather than the spirit.

People spend too much time finding esoteric meanings in books and too little time following teachings of Jesus.

You do not have to be a scholar to be godly.

The three qualities - truthfulness, honesty and kindness preached by Jesus make you godly.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

spartacus699
For me it's my answer to where the universe came from.

It's wonderful, for you, that you have come to a point where you are satisfied with the answers you have. Seriously.

But why does someone else's answer, which may be different from yours, attract your attention?

Taking myself as an example. I'm equally satisfied with my answers which do not include the existence of a God or Gods. In your belief system, God made me that way. So why care that I don't share your beliefs?

eat the chocolate, you'll like it once you try it

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Sorry, but I like my chocolate with less pesticides and preservatives in it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

spartacus699

I did. Going so far as two years of seminary prep school. It turned out I was chronically allergic despite regular inoculations.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Look people it's this simple:
All we have to do is be civil and respectful to one another despite our differences in personal spiritual matters- it's not that difficult! I am a Christian and my eldest child is an Atheist- if we can show each other respect despite our differences in the emotionally charged atmosphere of family dynamics there should be no reason why folks can't do the same on the internet. Grow up folks!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I don't have a problem with the pebble. I have a problem with the pebble hitting the water. For instance, living on the same street as a communist or an evangelical Christian or a nazi. Even if they didn't come right up in your face about it, even if they kept it within closed doors, they don't stop being that, living and believing in and investing in those philosophies. From the moment they close their eyes one night to the moment they close their eyes the next, they follow that philosophy and promote the virtues therein. When they are given an opportunity to make a difference, that difference will reflect what they believe in. When they are given an opportunity to sacrifice one freedom for another, to show their kids what to value and what not to value, what is important to their society and what will destroy it, what will they do? What will they teach them? What will the future of our nation reflect about its predecessors?

Our children don't just walk away with all their own ideas and all their own beliefs. Everything they have is a result of something we showed them, something we told them, something we shared with them. And so I worry about what we're sharing with them, what we're telling them. I worry about what they will hold onto throughout their lives and what they will let go, what they will choose to invest in and what they will sacrifice. I worry about who they will be as a result of who we were.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm going to disagree with you on that AI. Yeah, I know that's the case a lot of the time but speaking as someone who lives smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt in the deep south with grown children I can honestly say that most of the people I know (even Christians) have raised their children to follow their own paths and do what feels right for them just as I have, just as my parents did. The zealots for the most part are getting old and dying out with fewer and fewer zealots to replace them as young people reach out through the internet to learn more than what they are spoon fed by their parents. The world is changing, religion is changing with it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

littled16

I'm going to disagree with you on that AI. Yeah, I know that's the case a lot of the time but speaking as someone who lives smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt in the deep south with grown children I can honestly say that most of the people I know (even Christians) have raised their children to follow their own paths and do what feels right for them just as I have, just as my parents did. The zealots for the most part are getting old and dying out with fewer and fewer zealots to replace them as young people reach out through the internet to learn more than what they are spoon fed by their parents. The world is changing, religion is changing with it.

It's not just religion I'm concerned about. Religion is just one of the more obvious concerns. But if what you say is the case, then what is perpetuating these shallow virtues? Immortality, servitude, self-defeatism, fear, all that archaic nonsense. I really do hope we're leaving all that behind. It does a fish no good to wish it could breathe fire. And a horse that spends its days as a mule will never know what it can be.
edit on 30-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

There will always be idiots who need to feel superior to others in order to feign feeling good about themselves- there is no stopping it. Some of these people use religion as their outlet for this sort of thing, some use hate groups, some use militant "help" groups, etc. They grasp at any straw that fits their lifestyle to show how "I am so good, you are so bad" to boost their own self esteem because inside they are sad, hurt and filled with self-loathing. Recognize it for what it is and pity those that feel they have to live that way.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You yourself know that many of the things if not all in it have been corrupted by man on multiple occasions. Some of the rules contained in the Bible and other holy writings make sense and some do not- I just follow the main rules that Jesus put out there... love God, love your neighbor as yourself. If you follow those everything else falls into place, but that's my personal opinion.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

spartacus699

I did. Going so far as two years of seminary prep school. It turned out I was chronically allergic despite regular inoculations.

It's not about what you learn though. You don't need to know anything. Remember the bible says:

Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it

You don't need any proof at all, other than the fact that you're alive. that's it. That's all you need. Knowing that you know "all this" must have come from somewhere. And then all you have to do is shut your mind off which is the device the ruines most peoples spirit and just go with your gutt. What does your gutt tell you? What does your 6th sense say? Is it saying there's nothing out there? Is it saying your life will end? I don't think so.

Ever read the book "The power of now?" Turn the mind off. It's just a tool. It's not you. You are an eternal spirit. You're not your body nor your mind. Therefore it just makes sense to begin to get intune with the spirit. No, God will not fully show up and kill your free will. That would ruine the human experience. But to ignore it all completely is a total travesty, it's disgusting. YOu're not a piece of meat. you are not your body.

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join