It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Govenor Bans Electronic Cigarettes on State Property.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
m.newson6.com...

Was wondering when this was going to turn into an issue. Oklahoma Governor, Mary Fallin, has signed an executive order banning e-cigs on state property.

I see more and more people "vaping". In my little town of Claremore there have been 4 electronic cigarette stores open up. I don't own any but when the wifey and I go out and have a few drinks I will steal a drag off a friends even tho I don't smoke.

Just curious to see how this goes. Oklahoma has some messed up laws concerning alcohol. Might as well throw in e-cigs as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Why should I have to inhale anyone else's air pollution even if it is just 'vapor'?

I like this law.

+53 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What a dumb ignorant law along with anyone who supports it. If breathing the same air as others bothers you then don't leave your home if you are afraid of chemicals for the love of all that's good please don't go near the roads with all that exhaust.

Hell most airfreshners are far more hazardous than the vapor from any e-cig. People can be so retarded.

Hey lets make a law about people that wear to much cologne or perfume better throw that guy in jail for BO. Prison for those who fart.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Metallicus

Why should I have to inhale anyone else's air pollution even if it is just 'vapor'?

I like this law.

Please suffocate yourself the next time you are in the room with me, you are blowing your CO2 all over me… And I don't like it.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

You prolly shouldn't drive you would be horribly surprised at the stuff you inhale riding behind cars and trucks.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Amazing how inconsistent government logic is. With this one, cars would be banned everywhere. I understand why people hated cigarettes, as smoke (its chemical makeup) and the smells associated with it, can be offensive to some people. But what the hell is an ecig doing to you?

Really?

Oh, it looks like smoke doesn't it, makes you all anxious, did it force you to pop an extra xanax this morning?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

boncho

Metallicus

I like this law.

Please suffocate yourself the next time you are in the room with me, you are blowing your CO2 all over me… And I don't like it.

Agreed, please look at the ingredients of an e-cig before making that statement....nicotine has exactly the same effect on the human body as caffeine....The reason this is becoming an issue is because the tobacco industry has their collective panties in a wad. A few months ago, e-cigs could be used on airplanes...there is nothing harmful in the four or five ingredients. Actually, nicotine has been proven to stimulate the brain, but hey, demonize something we don't like.

What are E Cigarette Atomizers?

Added on: March 20, 2012

E cigarettes are made up of 2 key components, the cartomizer (the part closest to the user’s mouth) and the battery (the body of the cigarette). When the user “takes a drag” or “vapes” from the product, an air pressure sensor activates the battery, which turns on a heating element inside the cartomizer. This heating element is the atomizer. Read more about how the product works here.

An atomizer is built out of wiring and metal using advanced micro-electric and physical atomized technology. Once the battery of the electronic cigarette is turned on, the atomizer heats up and vaporizes the cartridge’s ingredients. The cartridge contains simply water, flavoring, nicotine (also offered without nicotine), and the FDA-approved substance propylene glycol. Unlike regular cigarettes, e cigs do not contain tar or any of the other 4,000+ harmful chemicals that are in traditional cigarettes. Once the atomizer turns these harmless ingredients into vapor, the user then inhales and exhales the mist-like vapor that has been steamed by the atomizer. The vapor has the look and feel of real smoke, without the horrible odor or smoke that regular cigarette smoke creates.
edit on 23-12-2013 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

SUMMARY
Propylene glycol is a colorless, odorless liquid which is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by
the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under 21 CFR §184.1666, for use as a direct food
additive under the conditions prescribed. It is also approved by the U.S. FDA for use as certain
indirect food additives. Propylene glycol is used as a constituent in a large variety of cosmetics,
and is approved and used as a vehicle for topical pharmaceutical preparations. It has a wide
range of other practical applications, e.g., used as deicers, coolants, antifreeze, heat transfer and
hydraulic fluids, plasticizers and other products. Propylene glycol has low toxicity, is not
acutely toxic, and does not irritate the skin. However, contact dermatitis has been reported from
a wide variety of topical preparations. Inhalation of the vapors of propylene glycol may present
no significant hazard in ordinary applications, but limited human experiences indicate that its
mists may be irritating to some individuals [Dow Chemical, 2006].

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I never saw anything come out of an e cig accept for the person who's sucking on it. I bought one but it wasn't good for me I need something with pre-loaded nicotine and mine was dose it yourself, apparently I didn't put enough nicotine in but nobody ever smelled what I was vaping until they put the e cig to their nose.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

boncho
Amazing how inconsistent government logic is. With this one, cars would be banned everywhere. I understand why people hated cigarettes, as smoke (its chemical makeup) and the smells associated with it, can be offensive to some people. But what the hell is an ecig doing to you?

Really?

Oh, it looks like smoke doesn't it, makes you all anxious, did it force you to pop an extra xanax this morning?

That's funny I rolled on the floor laughing... Pop another xanax good one...That's funny.
O Dear light me up another ciggy before I choke on my Pepsi.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just another reason im leaving this state in the nexy week.

this law is stupid

fallen is an idiot

if u agree with this law u are not denying ignorance u are promoting it

and i will disregaurd this law like i do all unjust laws

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oklahoma Governor, Mary Fallin
gotta love Republicans with their "less government intrusion"...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Metallicus

I like this law.

I'm sure that you like many laws that benefit you alone but not the whole.

Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hmm, a puff of a highly addictive stimulant being exhaled into the atmosphere where other people could breath in such air. I think they got a little point there.

But where I draw the line, is when they start strip searching people for nicotine-patch trans-dermal system inspection.
When we can not have our patches then that is where it is going to get real.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

ManOfHart
Hmm, a puff of a highly addictive stimulant being exhaled into the atmosphere where other people could breath in such air. I think they got a little point there.

But where I draw the line, is when they start strip searching people for nicotine-patch trans-dermal system inspection.
When we can not have our patches then that is where it is going to get real.

nicotine, no more addictive than caffeine or as dangerous. The media and corporate powers want you to think it is, but the danger is all the additive crap they put in it.

Namely, because this product has a devastating impact on big tobaccos profit margins.....same thing they did to pot.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

It is not smoking, yet they are applying smoking laws. Soon everyone will , with the backing of the tobacco industry, so that they can either ban it, or tax the hell out of it the same as cigarettes.

It never has and never will be about your health. That goes for a a lot of medications, and inventions.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
List of Foods That Contain Nicotine

Eggplant
The food that is richest in nicotine concentration is eggplant. Eggplant contains a nicotine concentration of 100 ng/g. This vegetable is also a very good dietary source of fiber, vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and potassium. According to "The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods" by Michael T. Murray, the health benefits of eggplant consumption are directly linked to the presence of a strong antioxidant called nasunin. Nasunin protects the body against free radical damage, helps rid the body of excess iron and helps lower cholesterol levels.

Green Tomatoes
Green tomatoes also contain dietary nicotine. The nicotine content of green tomatoes is 42.8 ng/g. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, green tomatoes are also a good dietary source of potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C, folate and calcium.

Cauliflower
Cauliflower is another food source of nicotine. The nicotine concentration contained in cauliflower is 16.8 ng/g. According to MyHealthyFoods.com, cauliflower is also an excellent dietary source of vitamin K, vitamin C, folate and fiber. Regular consumption of cauliflower will promote some health benefits such as protection against some forms of cancer, detoxification in the body and protection against rheumatoid arthritis.

Potatoes
Another food that could expose you to nicotine is potatoes. Potatoes contain a nicotine concentration of 7.1 ng/g. According to Ayushveda.com, potatoes are also a very good dietary source of vitamin B6, vitamin A and potassium. The combination of these nutrients makes the consumption of baked or boiled potatoes effective prevention against cardiovascular disease. According to the website, people who consume baked or boiled potatoes have a lower risk of heart attack and frequently have lower blood pressure than people who do not consume potatoes.

And I love some fried green tomato.

Hell I like just about anything when its fried.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The most recent study I know of is conducted by clearstream working closely with utah vapers. The study has completed and is now in the process of full doctoral review so the summary is no longer published at that page. The short version is that second hand vapor contains no harmful chemicals and no nicotine. Really the only possible irritants that I can think of are the trace amounts of flavor.

Here is an excerpt of what used to be there:

In December 2011, the Utah Vapers began working closely with FlavourArt from Milan Italy to research the current studies on electronic cigarettes. What we found is a lack of evidence to support the belief we all had in that there was no harm to bystanders in exhaled vapor (second-hand vapor). After months of coordination, Clearstream Air was announced to the world electronic cigarette community on 22 March 2012 – also known as World Vaping Day.

Simply put, the Clearstream Air project is a comparative evaluation between tobacco and electronic cigarettes and hoped to draw a positive conclusion about the lack of harm with electronic cigarette usage. The study focused on the release of airborne contaminants in closed room environment to determine if there are any contaminants and if so, at what levels.

The following substances were measured for in the exhaled smoke and vapor.

Carbon monoxide CO
Nitrogen oxides NOx
Acrolein
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons PAHs
Volatile Organic Compounds VOC
Total Organic Carbon TOC
Nicotine
Glycerine and propylene glycol (components of the electronic cigarettes fluids)

Study Results
As the study has been completed and a professional doctoral review completed, I’m proud to announce that the results are better than we could have anticipated. In short, there is NO harm found in exhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes. The most exciting results I found is that testing did not detect any nicotine in the exhaled vapor. Now, you may ask why I find this exciting. Well, my excitement is on two levels. 1) This means that the human lung absorbs most if not all of the nicotine which has long been questioned within the global electronic cigarette community; and 2) This also means no nicotine was detected in the ‘second-hand vapor’. All other substances measured for electronic cigarettes were FAR below allowable levels for human inhalation according to the FDA. In fact, the levels were so low that it proves it is more hazardous to your health to breath the air in any major downtown metropolitan city during heightened times of driving.

I invite you to review the study yourself and draw your own conclusions. If you are in the medical or scientific fields, please take the invitation to review the report in detail and let me know if you draw a different conclusion. If you prefer to wait for the full doctoral paper, we anticipate the full peer reviewed release of this paper to occur near the end of July 2012.
link

Well some political groups are not known for understanding or being apprised of science. It is just to bad they are in positions of power.

In other words people are more at risk of coming in contact with nicotine from a salad than an e-smoker.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Grimpachi

The most recent study I know of is conducted by clearstream working closely with utah vapers. The study has completed and is now in the process of full doctoral review so the summary is no longer published at that page. The short version is that second hand vapor contains no harmful chemicals and no nicotine. Really the only possible irritants that I can think of are the trace amounts of flavor.

Here is an excerpt of what used to be there:

In December 2011, the Utah Vapers began working closely with FlavourArt from Milan Italy to research the current studies on electronic cigarettes. What we found is a lack of evidence to support the belief we all had in that there was no harm to bystanders in exhaled vapor (second-hand vapor). After months of coordination, Clearstream Air was announced to the world electronic cigarette community on 22 March 2012 – also known as World Vaping Day.

Simply put, the Clearstream Air project is a comparative evaluation between tobacco and electronic cigarettes and hoped to draw a positive conclusion about the lack of harm with electronic cigarette usage. The study focused on the release of airborne contaminants in closed room environment to determine if there are any contaminants and if so, at what levels.

The following substances were measured for in the exhaled smoke and vapor.

Carbon monoxide CO
Nitrogen oxides NOx
Acrolein
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons PAHs
Volatile Organic Compounds VOC
Total Organic Carbon TOC
Nicotine
Glycerine and propylene glycol (components of the electronic cigarettes fluids)

Study Results
As the study has been completed and a professional doctoral review completed, I’m proud to announce that the results are better than we could have anticipated. In short, there is NO harm found in exhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes. The most exciting results I found is that testing did not detect any nicotine in the exhaled vapor. Now, you may ask why I find this exciting. Well, my excitement is on two levels. 1) This means that the human lung absorbs most if not all of the nicotine which has long been questioned within the global electronic cigarette community; and 2) This also means no nicotine was detected in the ‘second-hand vapor’. All other substances measured for electronic cigarettes were FAR below allowable levels for human inhalation according to the FDA. In fact, the levels were so low that it proves it is more hazardous to your health to breath the air in any major downtown metropolitan city during heightened times of driving.

I invite you to review the study yourself and draw your own conclusions. If you are in the medical or scientific fields, please take the invitation to review the report in detail and let me know if you draw a different conclusion. If you prefer to wait for the full doctoral paper, we anticipate the full peer reviewed release of this paper to occur near the end of July 2012.
link

Well some political groups are not known for understanding or being apprised of science. It is just to bad they are in positions of power.

In other words people are more at risk of coming in contact with nicotine from a salad than an e-smoker.

The thing I love about it is that the list of ingredients can be counted on one hand verse the hundreds of chemicals in name brand cigarettes.....and i can pronounce every single on.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Metallicus

I like this law.

If you like this law then you are part of the problem that our country has....to many people worrying about what other people do and cant be bothered to look into the facts to see if there is a real problem, just jump on the band wagon and complain about something you dont know jack # about, and these vapors dont linger around like smoke so if you are inhale someones vapors then you are probably standing to close to them so take a step back and relax. Its people like you that we have stupid laws like this.
You dont even realize that you breath way more poison just walking around outside do you?

(post by spartacus699 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join