It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Govenor Bans Electronic Cigarettes on State Property.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

JHumm
Fish stink too, every time we drive past the seafood market in the summer we are forced to smell that god awful smell so I guess we should ban seafood too.

Very true, and the vast majority of people find the smell of the vapor pleasing, if they can even smell it. It smells nothing like a cigarette, nothing is being burned. It smells exactly like those fruity body-sprays everyone uses these days.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

TXRabbit

pointr97
The reason this is becoming an issue is because the tobacco industry has their collective panties in a wad.

DING DING DING....we have a Winner folks!

My little city here in TX has imposed a "moratorium'" on new Vape-stores opening up until more "research" can be done on the effects of e-cigs.

Meanwhile......every single gas station, drug store, grocery store continues to push all types of tobacco products on all flavors of life that walk in.

Also let's not forget the impact that e-cigs might have on the Healthcare (for profit) and Cancer industries. The less tobacco products use, the healthier people may become. You don't think these giant corporations haven't done impact-analysis on this already? Now we're seeing step 1 in the campaign to curtail e-cigs.

1 - Fear. Warn consumers about the "unknown consequences" of this product

and now guessing:
2 - release "studies, articles and stores" in the media about possible dangers ("possible" is the key word here) of e-cigs, the second-hand vapors, the chemicals
3 - Oversensationalizing the use - blame e-cigs for someone's death, bad behavior, criminal activity
4 - Disinformation - classify these products as "gateway drugs" or some other buzzword to paint their benefit/use in a negative light
5 - tie the chemicals to steriod use which then prompts a full-on investigation by congress and ultimately leads to a ban.

edit on 24-12-2013 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2013 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

Early on, Big Tobacco was definitely against ecigs. Not anymore though. All major tobacco companies have been spending millions buying up e-cig companies. You may say they intend to close them after they bought them all, well not gonna happen. ALL the normal ecig stuff comes from China. If Tobacco companies bought every single US ecig company (importer more like it) and closed them down, it wouldn't matter, there are still tons and tons of vendors all over the country importing and selling their own goods.

Big tobacco saw the writing on the wall, ecigs are here to stay, and they are investing into it. Whether or not they will use their leverage to impose restrictions that drive their ecig competitors off is yet to be seen (It would be incredibly difficult to do, as anyone who understands the vaping industry knows) but either way, Big tobacco is not trying to get rid of ecigs anymore.

Big Pharma is the true enemy, which I knew all along. Their offerings are expensive, dangerous, and do a bad job of working. Vaping can be cheap, safe, and work well. They hate that.

Big Pharma is just taking advantage of ignorant and gullible people in positions of power to attack vaping, and they rely on the fact that there are so many busybodies out there who need to concern themselves with everyone's business and can't just let vapers be vapers.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

catfishjoe
www.upi.com...

Also really bad for tires. I guess people are throwing out the empty cartridges and they puncture tires.

You have got to be kidding me? Please?

So because inconsiderate people litter, it's the fault of ecigs? What kind of logic is that, did you even think about it before making that post?

Come on, anti-ecig people are REALLY REALLY getting desperate. Just stop, please.
edit on 25-12-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
I don't know. I don't care for e-cigs. They don't taste right and they burn my throat. They also use glycol as the liquid to suspend the nicotine in.

I used to spray glycol on sidewalks to de-ice them.

Now, the MSDS sheet for the glycol said it was pretty much harmless, but if I'm spraying it to melt ice and it has an MSDS...I'm not so sure I want to be inhaling it. Who knows what long-term exposure to glycol will cause iin the future...

Who knows, maybe it's a different form of glycol. The only time I use an e-cig is in rental cars and long road trips.

There are different types of glycol, which did you spray to de-ice sidewalks?

Guess what? I use salt to de-ice my front porch. I also put it on my food without worry.

Propylene Glycol is commonly used in ecig liquid. It also is pumped through hospital ventilation shafts to safely kill bacteria and virus, and has been used as a vector to deliver medication in the medical industry for quite some time. Never any issues.

Some people have a PG allergy, which is why it's good that you have the option to get Vegetable Glycerine as a base for the liquid.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

amazing
I think this will be the trend. So goes cigarettes, so goes the e-smokes especially as it relates to public buildings and schools. I don't see a problem with this and I don't think you should either. You'll still be able to e-smoke up anywhere you can smoke which is almost basically anywhere. You'll be fine. I don't think this is a slippery slope thing, like the soda laws in New York, etc.

It is completely illogical to ban something "just because"

Either provide evidence that ecig vapor is dangerous to people around the vaper, or you are basing your opinions on nothing.

What is wrong with society these days?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

stumason

Your ignorance of the matter is symptomatic of the larger problems with society - people don't bother to educate themselves and just knee-jerk their way through life.

Bravo sir!

I just don't get it. I don't usually comment on a subject unless I educate myself on it, something I can't say for many people in this thread, or most people in general. Living in a world full of Parrots.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

James1982

MystikMushroom
I don't know. I don't care for e-cigs. They don't taste right and they burn my throat. They also use glycol as the liquid to suspend the nicotine in.

I used to spray glycol on sidewalks to de-ice them.

Now, the MSDS sheet for the glycol said it was pretty much harmless, but if I'm spraying it to melt ice and it has an MSDS...I'm not so sure I want to be inhaling it. Who knows what long-term exposure to glycol will cause iin the future...

Who knows, maybe it's a different form of glycol. The only time I use an e-cig is in rental cars and long road trips.

There are different types of glycol, which did you spray to de-ice sidewalks?

Guess what? I use salt to de-ice my front porch. I also put it on my food without worry.

Propylene Glycol is commonly used in ecig liquid. It also is pumped through hospital ventilation shafts to safely kill bacteria and virus, and has been used as a vector to deliver medication in the medical industry for quite some time. Never any issues.

Some people have a PG allergy, which is why it's good that you have the option to get Vegetable Glycerine as a base for the liquid.

He used ethyl glycol for his sidewalks its used in antifreeze. Being that its alcohol based of course it doesnt like to freeze. It is toxic so dont drink it now there is Propylene glycol this is non toxic. Its used in food makeup and yes even toothpaste. This is what e cigs use what is released from the atomizer when the glychol hits it? H2O yep water which is inhaled just like being in a hot shower.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
First...eCigs vapor dissipates nearly instantly. No one else will breathe it in unless its blown in their face.

But, for those who don't know...there is no such thing as a "smell". Things don't have "smells". What things have are particles of themselves becoming airborne and then being inhaled by people. What we call a smell is our nasal cavities sampling these particles and our body translating the chemicals into what we CALL a smell.

So...keep in mind that when you smell crap, you are ingesting crap. Any thing you smell, you are actually breathing in and ingesting that substance. Poop, rot, dead body, fart, etc. Now...enjoy the rest of your day.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Grimpachi
What a dumb ignorant law along with anyone who supports it. If breathing the same air as others bothers you then don't leave your home if you are afraid of chemicals for the love of all that's good please don't go near the roads with all that exhaust.

Hell most airfreshners are far more hazardous than the vapor from any e-cig. People can be so retarded.

Hey lets make a law about people that wear to much cologne or perfume better throw that guy in jail for BO. Prison for those who fart.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

I was going to say that. It's a stupid law.
I don't like breathing in people who smell bad. It lingers for hours. There should be laws on bathing and washing your clothes more often.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

amazing

stumason
reply to post by amazing

By demonising (or outright banning) e-cigs, they'll only end up forcing people back to Tobacco - which is probably what they want as an estimated 15% of the UK smoking population have switched from tobacco to e-cigs, at great loss to the exchequer (Smoking brings in around £10 Billion to the Treasury every year in the UK in taxation). THe wierd dichotomy is that the EU is also bringing in harsher laws on Tobacco products as well, so their attacking them from both sides..

What do they want? Is it for us to give up and be healthy, because if it is banning a totally harmless replacement is counter-productive, but then if people go back to Tobacco, they might get their tax revenue but healthcare costs skyrocket.

I don't see it as outright demonizing though. People do enjoy e-cigs. I have friends, coworkers that do, but they enjoy them that same places and in the same ways that regular smokers do their thing. Even with these bans, I see e-cigs growing and taking over the market share, more and more. I think it's wise to put them in the same category as tobacco products for now. You can't have students in schools smoking them in the hallway, for one example. can you? Is it offensive to see someone toking on an e-cig in their office cube at work? That's the debate.

School kids shouldn't be smoking these in school, or anywhere else, for that matter. They have the same laws with age limits as regular cigarettes do.

Why do you find it offensive to see someone smoking an e-cig?
I'll tell you why...
Because government has put such a stigma on people smoking real cigarettes that they have the public brain-washed into thinking anything that resembles it is thought of as a terrible, degrading act.

It's not!!!!!

And as long as it doesn't harm the people around them, there should be no one telling them when or where they can or can't do it.

Period!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Just thinking out loud here, but is there actually any such thing as 'state property' ? the people own the state, the state is 'for' the people. Does this woman have any right to claim 'state' property ?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
As an Oklahoman, for the most part I'm pleased with the political climate in my state. However, I don't see the reasoning behind Ms. Fallin signing this order. E-Cigs produce no noxious fumes (of which I am aware). So, if the persons actions are causing no harm to other people, what could possibly be the purpose for this restriction?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hating smokers is not only popular, its government sponsored. Its not hard to see why people would carry that hate over when a nicotine delivery method is found that is harmless both to the user and those around them. Hate is not based on anything rational. This is very much like Racism and those who practice the hate are the same type of individuals. Outlawing water vapor is proof of the power of hate.

The rabid anti-smoking crowd is driven by far more than just health issues. They see those who smoke as being deviants and inferior, so it will never matter to them that these E-Cigs harm no one.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

WeAreAWAKE
First...eCigs vapor dissipates nearly instantly. No one else will breathe it in unless its blown in their face.

But, for those who don't know...there is no such thing as a "smell". Things don't have "smells". What things have are particles of themselves becoming airborne and then being inhaled by people. What we call a smell is our nasal cavities sampling these particles and our body translating the chemicals into what we CALL a smell.

So...keep in mind that when you smell crap, you are ingesting crap. Any thing you smell, you are actually breathing in and ingesting that substance. Poop, rot, dead body, fart, etc. Now...enjoy the rest of your day.

Yup!

That is why you should put your toothbrush away in the bathroom. Not only are there poop particles, but when you flush the toilet, it makes a vortex of them mixed with water particles that fly out of the toilet.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Blaine91555
Hating smokers is not only popular, its government sponsored. Its not hard to see why people would carry that hate over when a nicotine delivery method is found that is harmless both to the user and those around them. Hate is not based on anything rational. This is very much like Racism and those who practice the hate are the same type of individuals. Outlawing water vapor is proof of the power of hate.

The rabid anti-smoking crowd is driven by far more than just health issues. They see those who smoke as being deviants and inferior, so it will never matter to them that these E-Cigs harm no one.

This is the most accurate truth of it.

This issue seems to have penetrated every aspect of society. Demonizing, hating, and attacking anyone doing something you don't personally like doing. They do this, I don't, therefore they must me bad.

The anti-smoking crowd are nothing but a bunch of state controlled zombies. Usefull tools for the government to do it's bidding.

Honestly, I've lost all hope for this country. People are not critical thinkers anymore. People are not logical anymore. People are not honest anymore. They are nothing but ignorant hypocrites who can't see past their own nose. Drones with an implanted personality and views.

I would always defend the US, saying it's the government doing these bad things, the people are innocent. No longer. The people are not innocent, they in fact are the ones to blame. I'm seeing that now, and it hurts as an American.

Through their laziness of intellect they have allowed the fed to gather all the power it has. Through their cowardice they have infected their fellow Americans with apathy and ignorance. They have bred a society where only their kind get by, ensuring the perpetuation of this ignorant, hypocritical mindset.

It's sickening, and you can see these people EVERYWHERE (you've seen several in this thread already)

When ideals and reality are so far disconnected as they are now, it's time to give up for me. I would previously had gladly fought on behalf of my fellow American citizens against the federal government, because I believed those people shared my love of freedom and respect for logic and knowledge. They don't. If the American people want this government, which they have proven they do, they can have it, and I don't have the right to be against that, as it's the will of the people, however sad and disgusting that is.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

James1982

amazing
I think this will be the trend. So goes cigarettes, so goes the e-smokes especially as it relates to public buildings and schools. I don't see a problem with this and I don't think you should either. You'll still be able to e-smoke up anywhere you can smoke which is almost basically anywhere. You'll be fine. I don't think this is a slippery slope thing, like the soda laws in New York, etc.

Either provide evidence that ecig vapor is dangerous to people around the vaper, or you are basing your opinions on nothing.

If there is nicotine in the product, that should be enough reason to ban.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself, but I dislike smoking. I find the practice filthy, especially when practiced in public places. However, if a person chooses to partake, that's their right, and I support that right, provided that exercising their right does not infringe on my rights. For example, I cannot support the moves in some states to ban smoking in all public places; if a restaurant owner decides to ban smoking in his establishment, that should be his prerogative. Smokers can vote with their wallet and refuse to patronize that business. Likewise, if a restaurant opts to permit the practice, those who would prefer to eat without choking on smoke can't eat elsewhere. Let the market decide, instead of the government enforcing through law.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

amazing

James1982

amazing

If there is nicotine in the product, that should be enough reason to ban.

So goodbye eggplants and green tomatos

I very much dislike your thought process

I only hope one day u realize how ignorant you are being

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
why do E-cigs get banned.

its big tobacco at its best.

first they add chemicals to cigarettes to make it very hard to quit but they also spend big money to stop the E-cig industry.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Metallicus
reply to post by catfishjoe

Why should I have to inhale anyone else's air pollution even if it is just 'vapor'?

I like this law.

A fact would deliver more offensive substance than what you would receive from "second hand vapor" so shall we all heforced to insert a cork before going into public then?
iI'm just joshin ya bud...

but seriously, I think you are thinking of a vapor device as being more like a cigarette than it actually is. But don't worry, it's a very common thing that people miss but let me point out this one thing and see if I can change your mind through reason. If not then we can just agree to disagree and no hard feelings bud!

A cigarette is constantly releasing smoke from the time you light it to the time you put it out. Very smelly. And the smoke that is constantly released from the lit end is the dangerous second hand smoke they talk about that kills the nonsmoker wife but not the smoking husband because he holds that end away from him, in taking nearly all of his smoke intake from out of the filtered end while the non filtered pure smoke drifts into the face of others...

An electronic cigarette does not release anything. Even if you press the button to heat up the vapor juice, it will not leavethe device. It must be drawn, or physically sucked out of the device. So all the vapor that leaves the device goes into the person's mmouth who uses it and then into their lungs assuming they are not 10 years old so they actually inhale the stuff lol... After it enters the person's body, a very large percentage of it stays there, and I'm guessing maybe 10-20% comes back out.

Now bear with me. Even if it's more like 40-50%, it is Nothing like cigarette smoke. Oftentimes when i exhale mine it is barely visible and what is visible disappears quickly. It does not linger like cigarette smoke. And pretty much the only way you're going to be able to smell it, is if someone walks up and blows it right in your face. You MIGHT get a whiff every now and then if the person was shoulder to shoulder at the bar sitting next to you. But again it is nothing like cigarette smoke. You may even Like it, yes even if you are a non smoker. They have sweet blends. I use one called Tsunami that is lightly sweetened but tobacco flavored, yet vapor juice does not contain tobacco or any of the thousands of chemicals in cigarettes, just nicotine and the flavorings and whatnot. They have vanilla flavor, strawberry flavor. But again, you're likely not going to smell it anyway. You're going to get a much stronger scent from the person chewing strawberry gum two seats over than you are from the strawberry vapor user sitting next to you unless they're bkowing every exhale right in your face, and even then it would actually be very faint scent. You'd be asking yourself "hmm did i just smell strawberry".

And it does not sit there and release stinky smoke into the air like a cigarette. Purfume, cologne, bubblegum, body odor, and facts are all going to be 5x or more stronger of a scent then what you'd get from an ecig user sitting next to you. And the other offenders could be 2 or more seats away and they would still be stronger smelling.

Now, I know you have no way of knowing if what i say is true so for the sake of this "argument", let's just say "if everything I've said is true, would you still feel the same way/hold the same position?"

Damage wise, you're gonna cut more minutes off your lifetime driving to work and back and breathing in vehicle exhaust from being on the road, or riding a bike or walking next to all those cars and semis and dump trucks pumping out exhaust, sometimes that thick black stuff I hate to see...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join