It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GLAAD mess with the wrong duck? Could this be a tipping point in the culture wars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Isn't religion -- by definition - a compulsive form of control over other people?

In that case, I agree completely.

I have lots of personal opinions too. I just own them better. I don't need a 2000 year old book to tell me I'm right or wrong. Especially the "Book of Leviticus" which is frankly, garbage that no one actually follows. Example? We don't buy slaves from neighboring countries, and we don't kill our disobedient children. Why should any of the rest of it be worthy of our support?

Regardless, homosexuality is described as an abomination before god in the Book of Leviticus, which is fair enough I guess, if you are a follower or subscriber to this particular old testament deity. Please note that eating shellfish is also described as an abomination before god, and is exactly equivalent in every way to being gay according to this belief system.

The problem here is that some people are simply appalled that the rest of us don't genuflect whenever their favorite Holy Book is quoted by a true believer, but I am not a Jew from the ancient world, and their god has no more applicability to my life than say -- "Odin," "Baal" or "Osirus."

Unlike Phil, I don't see encroaching darkness or "terrorism" when other people hold beliefs that differ from mine. I just shrug and say sans souci. To me it's how you act in there here and now that determines your worth as a human being, not which belief system or reality tunnel you happen to subscribe to.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Rosha
reply to post by Cito

In my experience, it's only " political correctness" until you give birth to a gay child, or your sister comes out. Then you start to see whats at stake and how life and death the matter really is, then you start to understand why people raise the flag and stand there holding it.

I call Bullcrap. I have close family members that have come out as gay and I don't hold any flag. They know my love is unconditional, but sorry, their lifestyle is wrong. That's my belief. I spent every holiday with them until I moved away, and there was never any ill-feelings or tension.

If I have a child that is gay it will be the same. Sorry, you will always have my love, never my acceptance of how you choose to live your life, but those choices are yours.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Having taken the time to actually read the GQ article, I can say that I didn't see anything that really was all that offensive. A person would have to be pretty thin skinned to get upset about what he said there. I have heard other folks attributing other quotes to him that ARE much more offensive, but as far as this article goes I see no fire-able offense.

Probably just an attempt to boost the show's audience.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Montana
Having taken the time to actually read the GQ article, I can say that I didn't see anything that really was all that offensive. A person would have to be pretty thin skinned to get upset about what he said there. I have heard other folks attributing other quotes to him that ARE much more offensive, but as far as this article goes I see no fire-able offense.

The people on ATS making comments clearly did not read the interview, because I keep seeing "had Phil done this it wouldn't have been a big deal" .. when Phil did exactly that, and yet GLAAD goes after him, A&E, and ALL sponsors who won't publicly bash Phil. They also say Phil's beliefs are anti Christian.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Bristol Palin supports Phil Robertson, because an unwed mother who got knocked up when she was a teenager reflects Christian values.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Rosha
reply to post by Cito

In my experience, it's only " political correctness" until you give birth to a gay child, or your sister comes out. Then you start to see whats at stake and how life and death the matter really is, then you start to understand why people raise the flag and stand there holding it.

Bull potty.

When people start okaying banning certain aspects of speech, then all speech becomes vulnerable.

Freedom of speech is defending speech you don't agree with.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

rupertg
Bristol Palin supports Phil Robertson, because an unwed mother who got knocked up when she was a teenager reflects Christian values.

Or maybe because the lowest of the low of American society can see why we should respect free speech, and this has nothing to do with Christian values and is an American values debate.

First they came for ...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I think it's fair to say he's not a "real Christian", the guy is loaded and has been for a while. The New Testament is a bit ambiguous about matters of sex and sexuality, but makes it VERY clear that nobody rich is going to heaven.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

maus80
I think it's fair to say he's not a "real Christian", the guy is loaded and has been for a while. The New Testament is a bit ambiguous about matters of sex and sexuality, but makes it VERY clear that nobody rich is going to heaven.

So you can assign religious faith to someone?

Awesome job!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

beezzer

maus80

So you can assign religious faith to someone?

Awesome job!

Yes, it's actually pretty easy. A Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Christ. Those teachings were not ambiguous at all when it came to wealth.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Didn't realize God said you couldn't make money or have an opinion.

Must have skipped Sunday school when they taught that.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

maus80

Completely false, on both accounts. There is no ambiguity on sexuality, and also not on wealth. At least on the wealth part there is a smidgeon of truth to what you say .. but what you say is still completely wrong.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Montana

The people on ATS making comments clearly did not read the interview, because I keep seeing "had Phil done this it wouldn't have been a big deal" .. when Phil did exactly that, and yet GLAAD goes after him, A&E, and ALL sponsors who won't publicly bash Phil. They also say Phil's beliefs are anti Christian.

GLAAD waits in the wings for stuff like this to happen. It was an early Christmas present for them IMO. They want everyone to be tolerant, then they are the first to come out of the gate screaming for A&E to drop DD, for all the sponsors to cease carrying DD merchandise, etc. This should be "Practice What You Preach", but GLAAD isn't interested in being tolerant of anyone else's views/values.

Do unto others??? I guess not.

I think GLAAD hurts the very movement they are trying to see progressed. People are far more accepting of a lot of things if it isn't forced upon them in my experience.
edit on 12/22/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Please provide source, I honestly don't remember the parts where Jesus talks about sex and sexuality. I remember a brief passage about "What God has joined, let man not separate", which barely qualifies.

I can easily provide quotes where Jesus very obviously preaches against amassing money and material wealth.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

beezzer

muse7
I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Looks like conservatives found their new hero...move aside george zimmerman!
edit on 12/21/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/21/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

To put it in context,

I may disagree with what you said. So I am going to contact ATS and get you banned.

You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

Doesn't ATS have terms and conditions? I know if you talk about certain subjects or use profanity they will ban you.

Your analogy ain't even close
edit on 12/22/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Timothy 6:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Money isn't the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

muse7

Doesn't ATS have terms and conditions? I know if you talk about certain subjects or use profanity they will ban you.

It's actually right on the mark.

If your opinion offends me, and I complain to ATS and they ban you because your opinion offended me (without you breaking T&C) then it's almost identical.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

maus80
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Please provide source, I honestly don't remember the parts where Jesus talks about sex and sexuality. I remember a brief passage about "What God has joined, let man not separate", which barely qualifies.

I can easily provide quotes where Jesus very obviously preaches against amassing money and material wealth.

Show me any verse in the bible where it says having wealth prevents you from entering Heaven. Go for it. Because I will show you MANY passages where God grants GREAT WEALTH to his followers.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

beezzer
Timothy 6:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Money isn't the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Wrong. Jesus made it very clear, more than once, that he believed the accumulation of wealth and material things to be an evil form of greed. It couldn't be more clear.

"But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort."
Luke 6:20

Does this mean there are very, very few on Earth who are true followers of the teachings of Jesus? Yes, I'm sure, but that doesn't make his teachings any less obvious.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

beezzer

muse7

It's actually right on the mark.

If your opinion offends me, and I complain to ATS and they ban you because your opinion offended me (without you breaking T&C) then it's almost identical.

No it's not actually.

If I start acting rude towards customers and insulting them, then my employer has every right to terminate me.

It's common sense

If the dude was imprisoned for what he said then you might actually have a point, but he's still free and can say anything he wants.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join