It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GLAAD mess with the wrong duck? Could this be a tipping point in the culture wars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Somehow, I'm guessing this isn't going the way GLAAD thought it would. Instead of the usual kowtowing to the PC constabulary, or whining about being misquoted or taken out of context or the like, the response from the Robertson camp has been unapologetic, yet respectful and consistent, while the support for him has been overwhelmingly positive and their sliming of him doesn't seem to have much traction.

Phil's response:

“I myself am a product of the ’60s,” Robertson said. “I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

The family's response:

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E’s decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.

Meanwhile, GLAAD went straight to slime:

GLAAD slammed Robertson’s comments, calling them “vile.” “Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe,” GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz said in a statement. “He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans – and Americans – who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil’s decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.”

First, they go no true Scotsman and say the Phil isn't a real Christians and that he knows nothing about the majority of Louisianans or Americans or gays. (Hyperventilate much?) Then they characterizes his comments as vile and extreme stereotypes when he didn't stereotype or exaggerate anything. He said homosexuality was a sin and stated his preference for female plumbing, and that's about it.

But the key is what else GLAAD tucked in there, the bit about going after the sponsors and how they will have to reexamine their ties with DD and Phil, which they reiterated in another statement:

The organization is also currently researching companies who use Robertson as a spokesperson. “Silence is agreement in this case,” he said. “With such egregious anti-gay and racist comments, those companies that choose to be affiliated with this family need to speak out.”

This overheated garbage about egregious anti-gay comments with a side of racist (why not go for the triple-header and throw anti-semite in there for good measure) along with the threatening of going after sponsors who don't speak out is a straight out smear and a sign of PC madness run amok.

The reaction in support of Robertson has been overwhelming. Love the bit about 4 times more people signing up to support Phil than signing up for Obamacare. Ouch. That sure is a shot in the pajamas, ain't it? And no crashes to boot.

Is it possible that this is more than a tempest in a teapot, that it hit a national nerve and is a tipping point in the culture wars?

Did GLAAD mess with the wrong duck?

Please Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

edit on 21-12-2013 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Hopefully it's the tipping point, but now that Charlie Sheen is attacking Phil....I just don't know! lol

All people should be allowed their opinions. There's people who I disagree with but I don't want their lives ruined. They have that right the same as me for begging to differ. But in New America, anyone who the left opposes have no say but the left may desecrate everybody. It's been this way for a long time. A lot of people just noticed the treatment Christians/rednecks get.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
S&F for your title alone... doubt they will let that stick, but damned funny

And, yes, I certainly hope so... political correctness blows...

BTW I thought that was just a nice use of a contraction... Phil and duck... guess they didn't see it that way

edit on 21-12-2013 by madmac5150 because: Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMoonJoe

A) pretty sure spelling your special word in a way to get around the sensors is a big no-no
B) the people on "phil's side" have done this kind of thing too (does the Bashir/Palin stuff ring a bell)
C) honestly, it's his "supporters" that are making such a hype about this and it's exactly what A&E wanted bring in more ratings. Can you say "PR stunt"?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It seems that anyone who speaks out about the encroaching darkness is immediately drowned out by a veritable Greek Chorus of nay-sayers, scoffers, and skeptics. It's like an intellectual flash-mob. I see it a lot here on ATS.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Just wait until they start pushing transhumanism,chimeras,biomechanical upgrades and DNA enhancement all within the agenda of homo bi trans sexuality and bestiality being acceptible...if you think mankind's a zoo now just wait you ain't seen nothing yet.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Seeing how he was fired for what he said looks like the duck messed with the wrong people.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by khnum

I thought "they" already were...

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
People that have the compulsive urge to control other people are mentally ill.

and the PC people are in need of long term mental health care.

They also need to go back to school and learn about the 1st amendment and freedom of religion.

Political Correctness: The Scourge of our Times.
It is used by people that want to control your daily lives without they themselves being challenged on there control of you.

link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Yes in movies and music from x-men to Lady Gaga they are but whatever beasts with the spirit of Cain they've developed at Darpa et al aren't in the general population....yet.

+10 more 
link   

In today's PC culture if you have an opinion that is counter to what is considered acceptable, keep it to yourself or you will be punished.

Basically, shut the hell up unless you agree with them.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Check out GLAAD's mission statement:

About GLAAD
GLAAD amplifies the voice of the LGBT community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively. By ensuring that the stories of LGBT people are heard through the media, GLAAD promotes understanding, increases acceptance, and advances equality....
Bolding mine.

Acceptance of what?.....everyone that believes as you do?
What a crock of self-serving, er, I'm out of T&C acceptable terms.

Excellent OP. These people tick me off.
I hope there is a backlash, it would be a start against the pc mania the media so willingly pushes.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

beezzer

In today's PC culture if you have an opinion that is counter to what is considered acceptable, keep it to yourself or you will be punished.

Wait'll the shoe is on the other foot ...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Snarl

beezzer

lolz

Then you'll be branded as "intolerant".

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Looks like conservatives found their new hero...move aside george zimmerman!
edit on 12/21/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

buster2010

Seeing how he was fired for what he said looks like the duck messed with the wrong people.

What! These Punks, They have made more enemies in their own base camp than allies!

In the fallout over Wednesday’s suspension of “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson by A&E for anti-gay and racist remarks, GLAAD is experiencing record levels of backlash.

“In the five-and-a-half years I’ve worked at GLAAD, I’ve never received so many violently angry phone calls and social media posts attacking GLAAD for us speaking out against these comments,” the media watchdog organization’s vice president of communications Rich Ferraro told TheWrap.

He said those reactions range from those who simply believe as Robertson believes to those who feel that GLAAD and A&E’s actions limit the reality star’s free speech.

Back Lash
Big Deal, So he likes Women over men and he thinks it's a sin to like the same sex, but then, he said, in the end, let God Sort it Out.
GLAAD thought they had an easy win here and an easy group of people they could intimidate and embarrass, guess they were wrong!
edit on 21-12-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

beezzer

Snarl

beezzer

lolz

Then you'll be branded as "intolerant".

Har Har ... not me ... I'm pretty good at picking the fights in which I engage.

Of course, in general, no one could say you're wrong. I'm gonna pop some popcorn ... and cackle.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Layla

A) pretty sure spelling your special word in a way to get around the sensors is a big no-no
B) the people on "phil's side" have done this kind of thing too (does the Bashir/Palin stuff ring a bell)
C) honestly, it's his "supporters" that are making such a hype about this and it's exactly what A&E wanted bring in more ratings. Can you say "PR stunt"?

When the family refuses to go forward with the show there won't be any ratings. If A&E allows Phil back on the show it will be a nightmare for them because the gay lobby is extremely powerful and will destroy them. You have no freedom of thought, you either believe what they say you need to believe or you are to be destroyed.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I believe that he has every right to speak his mind as well as A&E has a right to choose who they televise on their network. I don't think it has anything to do with free speech it's about an employers right to choose who they want to represent their product.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

muse7
I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Looks like conservatives found their new hero...move aside george zimmerman!

To put it in context,

I may disagree with what you said. So I am going to contact ATS and get you banned.

You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join